Made members working

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Cheech
Full Patched

Re: Made members working

Post by Cheech »

Michael D was just talking about an old timer in jackie nose crew was a bus driver.
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

And im sure there were barbers back in the day that were made.
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Off the top of my head as far as Rockford goes:
Phil "The Tailor" Emordeno worked at Prestige Custom Tailors, hence the nickname
Sebastian "Knobby" Gulotta was General Manager at Continental Liquors
Salvatore Galluzzo owned many pizza parlors/restaurants
Frank Buscemi owned a vending machine company and food distribution company
DoubleZ
Straightened out

Post by DoubleZ »

Adam wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:33 pm A lot of the Detroit guys own restaurants or food/produce companies. Toccos had a linen service forever and real estate developments. Lapiana is ridiculously wealthy after selling his health insurance company for like $50 million.
Completely agree, Adam. Historically and today, many of the Detroit guys on paper have made enough to never lift a finger again. We know that's not been their MO, however.

As one example, Jack and Tony Tocco had a mini-laundry empire (pun-intended) owning large linen services in multiple major cities, including:
Detroit - Melrose Linen and at least 4 subsidiary companies under this Melrose umbrella. Saginaw - Robertson Uninform and Linen Supply, and in Indianapolis, IN - Lafayette Linen & Janitorial. Potentially even a chemical company in Missouri that supplied products to these linen services.

Jack Tocco's self-reported net-worth in 1974 was approximately $10.5 million in today's USD. That was before JT became boss of the family. I can't even fathom what his net-worth was when he passed away in 2014, 40 years later.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

You know what I think is bullshit? You should become CPAs. I'm serious. Certified Public Assholes.This way you could have your legitimate businesses...and your books...and your workman's comp...and your Blue Cross...and your Blue Shield. And on top of that, you go pay your taxes, all right? You think I got a button to become some kind of straight-up businessman? Get the fuck outta here.
All roads lead to New York.
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Wiseguy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:40 pm
Etna wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:02 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:48 am Just watched Penisi viewers questions video...

Was shocked to hear "most members penisi knew have LEGAL jobs to explain income"

I gotta ASSUME that he was more implying the ASSOCIATES ....?

I just cant see MADE MEMBERS actually punching a clock.... I cant even hold a legal 9-5 how tf is frank camuso punching a clock 😂 😂

Im hoping he was including the "most members" means that they own businesses and work em that way...?

How many members can we think of with real legit jobs
I'm surprised you find this to be surprising? It's the mob of 2023, not the 1980s.
Legal can be a lot of things. It doesn't mean a mob guy is assistant manager over the swing shift at Walmart.
Water is wet and the sky is blue. My point is, it only seems obvious to have a legitimate job - regardless of the type for tax purposes.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Cheech wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:00 pm And im sure there were barbers back in the day that were made.
I forget who but one of Joe Bonanno’s top guys in the old days was a barber and if I recall correctly he eventually became head of the barbers union or had some involvement with it. I want to say Tartamella but I’m not positive it was him. I haven’t read A Man of Honor in a very long time.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Russell Andaloro of the Bonanno Crime Family was a school music teacher

Joe Bonanno's son-in-law was a dentist. Sorry, I forgot his first name but the family name was Genovese and he was a member of the San Jose Crime Family

Joe Cerrito of San Jose & Dominic Longo of LA were owner of cars dealership

A lot of 'ndrangheta members kept a legit job. Mike Racco & Vincent Deleo in Toronto were bakers, Antonio Sergi in Griffith, Australia owned a winery, Pietro Calipari also from Griffith was a shoe repairman ...
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Wiseguy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:03 pm You know what I think is bullshit? You should become CPAs. I'm serious. Certified Public Assholes.This way you could have your legitimate businesses...and your books...and your workman's comp...and your Blue Cross...and your Blue Shield. And on top of that, you go pay your taxes, all right? You think I got a button to become some kind of straight-up businessman? Get the fuck outta here.
LOL
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

DoubleZ wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:14 pm
Adam wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:33 pm A lot of the Detroit guys own restaurants or food/produce companies. Toccos had a linen service forever and real estate developments. Lapiana is ridiculously wealthy after selling his health insurance company for like $50 million.
Completely agree, Adam. Historically and today, many of the Detroit guys on paper have made enough to never lift a finger again. We know that's not been their MO, however.

As one example, Jack and Tony Tocco had a mini-laundry empire (pun-intended) owning large linen services in multiple major cities, including:
Detroit - Melrose Linen and at least 4 subsidiary companies under this Melrose umbrella. Saginaw - Robertson Uninform and Linen Supply, and in Indianapolis, IN - Lafayette Linen & Janitorial. Potentially even a chemical company in Missouri that supplied products to these linen services.

Jack Tocco's self-reported net-worth in 1974 was approximately $10.5 million in today's USD. That was before JT became boss of the family. I can't even fathom what his net-worth was when he passed away in 2014, 40 years later.
There's a wiretap from I believe the Giacalone's Home Juice Company in the early-mid 1960s where Michael Polizzi was complaining about making $50,000 from his regular legal business dealings and about the same amount from gambling/illegal activities. That was his complaint.
DoubleZ
Straightened out

Post by DoubleZ »

Adam wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:51 am

There's a wiretap from I believe the Giacalone's Home Juice Company in the early-mid 1960s where Michael Polizzi was complaining about making $50,000 from his regular legal business dealings and about the same amount from gambling/illegal activities. That was his complaint.

Great reference, Adam. Lol, yeah poor Polizzi with his measly $1M/year income. He soon got his wish, getting into more money, and more heat, with the Frontier skim and bust soon after.

Those Home Juice wiretaps are great, so many good nuggets. I just read something funny about Home Juice and the Giacalone’s. The Giacalone’s would cut the orange juice with water and added sugar at the Detroit bottling plant for greater profits. So Home Juice had a consistent taste everywhere in the US but Michigan (and Ontario) haha.
Dr031718
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dr031718 »

DoubleZ wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:14 pm
Adam wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:51 am

Great reference, Adam. Lol, yeah poor Polizzi with his measly $1M/year income. He soon got his wish, getting into more money, and more heat, with the Frontier skim and bust soon after.

Those Home Juice wiretaps are great, so many good nuggets. I just read something funny about Home Juice and the Giacalone’s. The Giacalone’s would cut the orange juice with water and added sugar at the Detroit bottling plant for greater profits. So Home Juice had a consistent taste everywhere in the US but Michigan (and Ontario) haha.
Where can one read the home juice wiretaps?
bluehouse
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by bluehouse »

Isnt this an oxymoron?The whole point to being a criminal especially in organized crime is so you wont have to punch a clock.If you are actually working at a construction site whats the point of being in the mafia and risking jail time.Also if you are working it means your not making enough illigal money.Also its very easy to launder dirty money so its not the reason.Its one thing to own a business its another to actually work 8 hours a day at a job site
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Michelle Navarra, Corleone's boss, was a doctor.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

bluehouse wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:27 am The whole point to being a criminal especially in organized crime is so you wont have to punch a clock.
It's not the whole point, evidenced by the fact that within Cosa Nostra specifically there have members who were business owners, priests, lawyers, politicians, plumbers, bakers, electricians, union officials, barbers, dentists, doctors and so on. That's not to say they don't have their fair share of stickup men, bookmakers, loan sharks, drug dealers, leg breakers and murderers.

Crime isn't the main point of the society but it takes all kinds of meat to make a good stew.