Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:46 pm
BeatiPaoli wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:28 pm To Johnny_Scootch and Antimafia: I may be using the wrong terminology, since I am not fascile with computers, but where was the original Scott Deitche article (which you posted) located on the internet? Does he have a website I can access? I have all his books (save one), and find him to be a compelling author and researcher. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
The article was written by Scott Burnstein. I assume that johnny_scootch found it at the same URL I did:

https://theblackhand.club/rcmp-probing- ... itano-hit/
The TBHF is redirecting posters again.

Here's a bit.ly link to Scott's article:

https://bit.ly/3fQVHmv
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

BeatiPaoli wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:28 pm To Johnny_Scootch and Antimafia: I may be using the wrong terminology, since I am not fascile with computers, but where was the original Scott Deitche article (which you posted) located on the internet? Does he have a website I can access? I have all his books (save one), and find him to be a compelling author and researcher. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
Scott has a website where I read all his articles, here it is

Gangster Report .com
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:56 am ^^^^
Manning is very accessible on Twitter. You and others should feel free to ask him a question by either tagging him in a tweet or in a reply to one of his tweets.

Later I'll copy-paste in this thread more of my Twitter exchange with him from last night.
One short exchange from last night:

Canadian OrgCrime @CdnOrgC
By @burneystweets. “RCMP Probing Gravel Co. Shakedown Scam As Possible Motive In Fat Pat Musitano Hit” [link to Scott Burnstein's article]
7:28 PM · Jul 20, 2020

𝙿𝚊𝚞𝚕 𝙼𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 @mobinfiltrator
Replying to @CdnOrgC and @burneystweets
The only person that Pat defrauded who would work like this was paid back in full. Jamaican gangster from Toronto. Also, Pino involved in scam. He would’ve caught a bullet too.
10:13 PM · Jul 20, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

The longer exchange, which picked up from what I had posted here yesterday evening:

Replying to @mobinfiltrator and @burneystweets
Paul, a John Clary (age 48 at the time) was mentioned in a Dec 18, 1991 article in the _Hamilton Spectator_ in relation to a cocaine-trafficking investigation by the Niagara Combined Forces Drug Section. He was charged along with a Domenic Vaccaro, a Nick Bruzzese, and others...
9:26 PM · Jul 20, 2020

Vaccaro was a close associate of John Papalia and Barillaro until the late 80's when he took the fall for Barillaro on a drug trafficking case. Dominic [Vaccaro] was an associate of the Musitano Crime Group and heavilly involved in the Park Plaza Hotel with Pat in financing the hotel
11:04 PM · Jul 20, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Does this mean Vaccaro turned his back on Papalia and Barillaro, as well as thumbed his nose at the Buffalo Family of which he was a member? Domenic Musitano Sr. and brother Tony were made (‘ndrangheta) but not Pat, correct?
11:34 PM · Jul 20, 2020

Pat wasn’t made when he went to jail. Guaranteed he got his button when he got out. Not sure what happened with Vaccaro. You’ve got to remember, all the intelligence suggests everyone important was aware of the Papalia homicide and it was sanctioned.
11:38 PM · Jul 20, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:38 pm
antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:56 am ^^^^
Manning is very accessible on Twitter. You and others should feel free to ask him a question by either tagging him in a tweet or in a reply to one of his tweets.

Later I'll copy-paste in this thread more of my Twitter exchange with him from last night.
One short exchange from last night:

By @burneystweets. “RCMP Probing Gravel Co. Shakedown Scam As Possible Motive In Fat Pat Musitano Hit” [link to Scott Burnstein's article]
7:28 PM · Jul 20, 2020

The only person that Pat defrauded who would work like this was paid back in full. Jamaican gangster from Toronto. Also, Pino involved in scam. He would’ve caught a bullet too.
10:13 PM · Jul 20, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

The longer exchange, which picked up from what I had posted here yesterday evening:

Paul, a John Clary (age 48 at the time) was mentioned in a Dec 18, 1991 article in the _Hamilton Spectator_ in relation to a cocaine-trafficking investigation by the Niagara Combined Forces Drug Section. He was charged along with a Domenic Vaccaro, a Nick Bruzzese, and others...
9:26 PM · Jul 20, 2020

Vaccaro was a close associate of John Papalia and Barillaro until the late 80's when he took the fall for Barillaro on a drug trafficking case. Dominic [Vaccaro] was an associate of the Musitano Crime Group and heavilly involved in the Park Plaza Hotel with Pat in financing the hotel
11:04 PM · Jul 20, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Does this mean Vaccaro turned his back on Papalia and Barillaro, as well as thumbed his nose at the Buffalo Family of which he was a member? Domenic Musitano Sr. and brother Tony were made (‘ndrangheta) but not Pat, correct?
11:34 PM · Jul 20, 2020

Pat wasn’t made when he went to jail. Guaranteed he got his button when he got out. Not sure what happened with Vaccaro. You’ve got to remember, all the intelligence suggests everyone important was aware of the Papalia homicide and it was sanctioned.
11:38 PM · Jul 20, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
So they were Ndrangheta?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
Manning stated here on TBHF that Pat and Angelo’s father and uncle were made in tbe ‘ndrangheta and answered to Calabria. Manning also stated that, in the 1990s, Pat was desperate to be made — he couldn’t be inducted into tbe Calabrian mafia — so he asked Papalia to make him.

But Musitano was rebuffed. Manning thinks that Musitano then turned to Vito Rizzuto in the hope of being made.

If all the above is true, my guess is that Pino Avignone couldn’t be made in the ‘ndrangheta either.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by UTC »

NickleCity wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:44 am
Lupara wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:40 am
NickleCity wrote:
NickleCity wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:53 am Lee Coppola has a new article: Another Voice: Law enforcement needs to stop referring to the 'Mafia'
Oops here is the link: https://buffalonews.com/opinion/another ... e2cde.html
451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

Please do copy-paste.
Two recent federal indictments have hinted at the existence of a Mafia family in Buffalo. Don’t believe it.

That entity, a vast empire that stretched into Canada, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New England, died decades ago. It died when Stefano Magaddino, the head of the empire centered in Buffalo, lost power; when sources of revenue from bookmaking, gambling and labor racketeering dried up; when the sons and grandsons of old-time mafiosi lost interest; and the federal government finally took notice and cracked down with the help of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

Still, federal prosecutors and law enforcement officials today find it convenient to label a suspect as as a “made member,” and to refer to La Cosa Nostra, the national crime syndicate Magaddino helped form and once headed. Only now, to avoid the word “Mafia,” they claim suspects with vowels at the end of their names who know each other belong to “Italian Organized Crime.”

What an insult, to try to dredge up a past best forgotten and, thankfully, long since gone by the wayside. If the subjects names ended in “ski,” would it then be Polish Organized Crime, or if they ended in “stein,” Jewish Organized Crime? It is especially harmful for such categorization in light of the turmoil the nation has been undergoing stemming from racial discrimination.

In my years as a journalist I reported often on the inner workings of Magaddino’s crime family and the efforts by federal law enforcement agencies and prosecutors to eradicate them. I understand the allure of the word “Mafia,” which, unfathomably, conjures mystique, violence, even romanticism. I have shelves filled with books linked to the subject. And the entertainment industry certainly has taken notice. Witness the popularity of the Godfather or the Sopranos.

But it’s wrong, terribly wrong, for officials to still pin the alleged wrongdoing of a few on an entire class of Americans. Perhaps their reasoning can best be explained by a noted Buffalo defense attorney who told me years ago for a story I was writing on the demise of the Buffalo Mafia:

“If your job was to go into the forest and count the trees, would you come back and say there are no trees?”

There are no trees labeled Cosa Nostra, Mafia, or even Italian Organized Crime in Buffalo. It’s time those charged with maintaining law and order and putting criminals behind bars recognize that.

Lee Coppola is the former dean of journalism at St. Bonaventure University.
This article makes no sense. If someone said there was a mafia family operating in Buffalo, that wouldn't "pin wrongdoing on an entire class of Americans". Does this forum attack an entire class of Americans?
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:51 pm ^^^^
Manning stated here on TBHF that Pat and Angelo’s father and uncle were made in tbe ‘ndrangheta and answered to Calabria. Manning also stated that, in the 1990s, Pat was desperate to be made — he couldn’t be inducted into tbe Calabrian mafia — so he asked Papalia to make him.

But Musitano was rebuffed. Manning thinks that Musitano then turned to Vito Rizzuto in the hope of being made.

If all the above is true, my guess is that Pino Avignone couldn’t be made in the ‘ndrangheta either.
Forgive my ignorance, but why couldn't Pat be made into the Ndrangheta? I would think that the bosses that Dominic Musitano answered to would actually want him to bring his sons in to keep it in the family. If the rest of that all played out the way Manning says than that's pretty crazy - could Musitano really have been made with the RIzzutos? Are there any documented links between the 2 families besides those meetings that were observed around the time of the Papalia hit? As far as Papalia making Pat, in practice that would mean proposing him to Buffalo right? Or was Pops actually making guys up in the Hammer? So many questions and so few answers when it comes to the players in Ontario and Buffalo.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

“ According to court records and RCMP documents, Pino Avignone ran affairs out of Monello’s Sports Club in Hamilton’s East End and has been involved with murder, narcotics and illegal gambling in the past.”

The Monello Sports Club is on Barton and Green road in Stoney Creek. The ‘HammerTown Crew’ Hells Angels had a tattoo parlour in the same plaza. As well as were part of a kickboxing school in that plaza, Iron Tiger.

There were also a high contingent of Eastern European criminals, that were tied to the owner of the kickboxing club, that were always gathering in that plaza, as well .

I believe Giorgio Baressi, worked out at that school.
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Antimafia and Johnny_Scootch: Thank you for clearing that up. Sorry, I mis-read the last name. I, too, read the articles on Burnstein's "Gangster Report."

Thank you, again.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

antimafia wrote:^^^^

Why is he not here anymore?
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

antimafia wrote:
Lupara wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:15 pm
antimafia wrote:
Lupara wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:39 pm This Joseph Papalia, is he the son of Johnny Pops?
John Papalia didn’t have any children.

His paternal grandfather, his mother’s first husband, and a half-brother all had the first name “Giuseppe.” I can’t place this Joseph Papalia born in 1967 — definitely not a son to Pops’s brothers Frank and Rocco; maybe a son to brother Domenic? to half-brothers Arcangelo and Giuseppe?
Is there a particular reason he didn't have any children? These guys usually have plenty of wives and girlfriends.
Adrian Humphreys's The Enforcer, as a biography of John Papalia, has a good number of details about Pops's personal life.

Papalia did marry but not till he was 57 years old. In January 1981, he married a woman Humphreys identified as Pops's longtime on-again, off-again girlfriend -- this would be Papalia's only marriage, and it ended in 1983.

Papalia did have some serious relationships before and after 1981, but he also dated a lot of showgirls, cocktail waitresses, and the like. Some of the reasons cited by Humphreys as to why Papalia never really settled down are that Pops had been a bachelor for such a long time he found living with a woman difficult; that Papalia didn't like having to tell anyone where he was going, whom he was seeing, what time he'd be back, etc.; and that Papalia was very messy and dirty around the house, keeping his residences over the years very unkempt. I have read elsewhere that Pops was a legendary slob.
Thanks for answering, as always.

A guy doesn't have to settle down in order to produce offspring though, and with having so many women, the change of impregnating one would be quite high.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

I believe Manning stated on this forum that Pat was made by Rizzuto.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Lupara wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:57 am

It’s crazy to think Rizzuto was making guys on his own. Under what authority did he do that if he did? As a member of the Bonanno family or were they recognized as an independent Canadian family and had achieved recognition from the Sicilians??

Or Rizzuto as a Bonanno illegally making Musitano and have him go after members of the Buffalo family?

We need a good rat to sort this all out.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

johnny_scootch wrote:
Lupara wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:57 am

It’s crazy to think Rizzuto was making guys on his own. Under what authority did he do that if he did? As a member of the Bonanno family or were they recognized as an independent Canadian family and had achieved recognition from the Sicilians??

Or Rizzuto as a Bonanno illegally making Musitano and have him go after members of the Buffalo family?

We need a good rat to sort this all out.
It may be he was given authorization by the Bonannos, but at the time Musitano was released the story goes the Rizzutos had become a rogue element that were acting independently of New York.

Liorenzo Giordano was allegedly made in 2004 to replace Paolo Gervasi. But Giordano was apparantly also critical towards the Bonanno family. Why would you be critical towards a family you had just become a member of? So that to me is in indication they indeed viewed themselves as their own family by then.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

the rizzuto's could be critical towards the bonanno's as gotti crew was critical towards paul castellano, it doesn't mean they were an independent family