Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

Pogo The Clown wrote:I don't know. But we shouldn't fall into the trap of taking a well known member or someone who ran the rackets in an outpost and just slapping the Capo label on him as so often happens on the Internet.

As for Montreal there are FBI reports and charts from the 1960s-1980s that list the Montreal Capo. Don't see how they wouldn't know about the Hamilton Capo by the late 80s. Luppino and Papalia were already well known names back then.

Pogo
We haven't labeled Papalia capo. Several authors/journalists who've written books on the Canadian mob have.

What is your explanation for the FBI not listing a capo? Are they suggesting there was no Canadian wing of the Buffalo mob or that they were under someone in Buffalo?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Lots of journalist fall into the trap of listing well known influential members as Capos when their official rank was actually Soldier. That is why I'm asking if anyone has seen any official info that lists them as Capo.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

antimafia wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:21 pm
Moscone65 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 am It’s Pino Avignones house that they torched the cars
Here's a link to Nicole O'Reilly's article, most of which I have not read because of the paywall:

Word ‘rat’ painted on mobster’s garage door where two cars were set ablaze
https://www.thespec.com/news/crime/2020 ... blaze.html

Below is an excerpt (what I could read):

Hamilton police are investigating a suspected arson after two cars were found engulfed in flames outside an east Mountain home where the word “rat” had been painted on the garage overnight.

The Hamilton Spectator has confirmed it is the residence of 59-year-old mobster Giuseppe (Pino) Avignone, a cousin who grew up like a brother to Mob boss Pasquale (Pat) Musitano and his siblings. He was with the 53-year-old Musitano when he was murdered a week ago in Burlington....
The house is registered under Michele Avignone
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

Papalia is an interesting character, anyone know if it’s true his mother was Sicilian? If so, then he was part Sicilian, part Calabrese??

He was born and died on a historical street Railway, which had legendary bootleggers like Rocco Perri visit, etc. Those type of connections are one of a kind.

He was mentored by Galante, knew all the Calabrese from Hamilton, Toronto and Montreal. He was referred as ‘The Enforcer’ for beating down that Bluestein. Had maybe one of the biggest betting books in Canada, and was well know in New York and other circles. I even think he was buddy’s with Scarfo.

Was part of the French Connection, multiple prison terms, never talked. Pretty sure, he might be the only Canadian that was called to testify during Kefauver.

If he wasn’t a Capo, guy was durable and versatile, a mob legend. Maybe the greatest one ever born in Canada, Rizzuto was born in Sicily.
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

Whatever he was he was allowed to be buried in the Church, I think the same happened to Rocco Sollecito, as well.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

I have no fucking idea about this, is it the buffalo Canadian faction taking these musitanos out? Sounds like a matter of time before the cousin is hit
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

SantoClaus wrote:Papalia is an interesting character, anyone know if it’s true his mother was Sicilian? If so, then he was part Sicilian, part Calabrese??

He was born and died on a historical street Railway, which had legendary bootleggers like Rocco Perri visit, etc. Those type of connections are one of a kind.

He was mentored by Galante, knew all the Calabrese from Hamilton, Toronto and Montreal. He was referred as ‘The Enforcer’ for beating down that Bluestein. Had maybe one of the biggest betting books in Canada, and was well know in New York and other circles. I even think he was buddy’s with Scarfo.

Was part of the French Connection, multiple prison terms, never talked. Pretty sure, he might be the only Canadian that was called to testify during Kefauver.

If he wasn’t a Capo, guy was durable and versatile, a mob legend. Maybe the greatest one ever born in Canada, Rizzuto was born in Sicily.
He was a real scumbag from what I've read.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

Lupara wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:09 pm
SantoClaus wrote:Papalia is an interesting character, anyone know if it’s true his mother was Sicilian? If so, then he was part Sicilian, part Calabrese??

He was a real scumbag from what I've read.
Definitely an unsavoury character, I knew people born on the same street, same era, that witnessed John Papalia and one of his brothers, both under 10 years old or so, beat a grown man up with bats, as Antonio Papalia, screamed at his sons to hit the man. Early 1930’s or so.

He was one of the biggest drugs guys, as well, basically helped created the market in Canada. His family along with others helped do the same with alcohol.

I’ve heard that murder of Starkman, seizing of Rocco Perri’s business, was in conjunction with the murders of Masseria and Marazono. Enabled all Southern Italians to join ‘one thing’ Cosa Nostra in 1931 or so? Could be bs tho?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Home of Musitano family member has cars torched, garage painted with the word 'rat'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5653226
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

antimafia wrote:Home of Musitano family member has cars torched, garage painted with the word 'rat'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5653226
Seems a real personal vendetta. Perhaps it really is as simple as Luppino vs. Musitano.

Also indicates Avignone is an informant. Probably the only card for him left to play. If he does flip we'll get a treasure of information about the inner-affairs of the Canadian Mafia. This guy probably knows as much as Desjardins.

To me there is a parallel between Musitano killing Papalia and usurping his businesses and what is happening now to him -- being replaced himself.

During Rizzuto's height of power the declining Buffalo family went along with Papalia's murder (which was legitimized by his unpaid dept to Rizzuto) and they had to tolerate the Musitanos as Rizzuto's proxies. But they've probably been a 'stone in their shoe' ever since and now they have finally gotten rid of them.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

Anyone from the "Buffalo" family in Buffalo?
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

TommyGambino wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:04 pm I have no fucking idea about this, is it the buffalo Canadian faction taking these musitanos out? Sounds like a matter of time before the cousin is hit
Could be. I met a guy whose brother-in-law is close to Pat Musitano, even think he was pictured with Musitano at Papalia’s funeral.

The guy I met was talking that Rizzuto was basically a nobody now, something like he’s dead. now, so fuck them or sorts. This guy is a nobody, would only hear that from his brother-in-law.

This was earlier this year, so in those circles, they didn’t appear to care about the Rizzutos either.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Lee Coppola has a new article: Another Voice: Law enforcement needs to stop referring to the 'Mafia'
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

NickleCity wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:53 am Lee Coppola has a new article: Another Voice: Law enforcement needs to stop referring to the 'Mafia'
Oops here is the link: https://buffalonews.com/opinion/another ... e2cde.html
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Very in depth article! He really proved his point and left no room to argue against him.