Fifteen Philadelphia Family Members and Associates Indicted

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Re: Fifteen Philadelphia Family Members and Associates Indicted

Post by NJShore4Life »

PHL_Mob wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:16 pm I remember like 10 years ago he was involved with a burglary crew if you even wanna call it that. They knocked off all the golf country club parking lots in the Philly suburbs and would steal shit from cars and pawn it lol
He’s one of Nicky Jr’s guys from AC area that has original roots in South Philly and Ducktown AC. He was a boxer in AC back in 80s and 90s I believe.

Yeah he was indicted in that ring that was burglarizing high end cars at country clubs in the Philly affluent suburbs and then they were using a Vietnamese fence to sell the stolen items. He was also indicted in Firstplus for providing ammunition to Nicky Jr.

I’ve been told he was Nicky Jr’s “Director of Security” LOL . That was his official title.

He’s still in AC area now, claims he’s turned his life around, and is managing an Italian restaurant South of AC.

Dante
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

we with my girl over to margate beach about 2 years ago we were staying in AC. cool place. big boardwalk and really clean. random thoughts. that pizza stand/ rest. forgot name seen it on barstools pizza reviews was really good in a pizza way.... oh and i was siked i found a parking meter like 50 feet from the strip so we didnt have to walk blocks or pay for lot parking think it was need to the libary
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

fuck my spelling its early
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

The whole Scarfo, Piccolo, Grande... family tree seems to get more interesting the more I think about it. Produced lots of high-ranking guys, lots of marriages, lots of death, and lots of intra-family feuding as well.

Joe Rugnetta's first wife was the sister of the mother of the Piccolo brothers, and Joe Piccolo once said they viewed Rugnetta as a surrogate after the death of their father. Rugnetta was of course also a high-ranking member of the Family as well at that time and succeeded Joe Ida as head of the Calabresi. Nick Piccolo and Felix DiTullio both sponsored Nicky Scarfo for membership, though Scarfo had a famously strained relationship with the Piccolos that led to him requesting to quit their gambling business and move to Atlantic City. Joe Rugnetta then also tried to get Scarfo killed in the 1960s over personal issues despite their familial connection. Despite his strained relationship with the Piccolos, Scarfo then went on to put Nick in as consigliere during the 1980s (though Leonetti has also described this as Scarfo basically saying he didn't need a consigliere) and trusted his cousin Anthony to run the family after he (Scarfo) and Leonetti were jailed in 1987.

The Grandes sided with Pete Casella and Frank Narducci in 1981 and were at the meeting that Scarfo believed was intended as a rouse to kill him and Chucky Merlino. This isn't that surprising considering that Narducci was the one who sponsored John Grande for membership. Wayne Grande had already fathered Dom with Rita Piccolo by this point, and the Grande brothers then went on to become capable soldiers under Scarfo's regime. After they all get arrested though, Scarfo orders Leonetti to have both Wayne and Joey Grande killed, though Leonetti alleges this was one of several murder contracts he ignored as Scarfo's paranoia and volatility grew (even wanting his wife Mimi killed).

Leonetti then flips and Scarfo wants him killed, Wayne Grande flips and hurts his brother-in-law Sammy Piccolo. Years later, Sammy Piccolo is aligned with Scarfo Jr during his bid to take the Family back and they try to get Joey Grande to side with them following his release from prison, while at the same time Dom Grande is aligned with Joey Merlino and Joe Ligambi. Piccolo ends up being brought into the fold along with Anthony Persiano, and it's that act that ends up getting Grande into trouble in this new indictment, as well as the Mazzone brothers, who he is now related to through marriage.

The intra-family stuff even goes back to the 1920s when Christopher and Harry Leonetti, shot their brother-in-law Dominick Guglielmo to death. Christopher was then murdered himself in what Phil Leonetti says was related to an attempt to shake down some Sicilian mobsters. Joe Rugnetta's brother Sam was also killed in the 1920s in a murder that was linked to his involvement in prostitution. Flash-forward to 2012 and Dom Grande is the suspected shooter in the last known hit carried out by the Philadelphia Family.

Looking at all the high-ranking guys related to this family (through marriage or blood) you have:

Joseph Rugnetta:
Captain under Joe Ida; briefly elevated to acting boss after Ida fled for Italy; taken down by the membership and served as underboss under Dominick Pollina; served as consigliere and head of the Calabrian faction under Angelo Bruno

Nicholas Piccolo:
Captain under Angelo Bruno; elevated to consigliere following the murder of Frank Monte

Nicodemo Scarfo:
Consigliere under Phil Testa; elevated to boss following Testa's murder thanks to his connections in the Genovese Family

Philip Leonetti:
Captain under Scarfo; left in charge of South Jersey operations during Scarfo's two-year sentence on the gun charge; promoted to underboss after Chucky Merlino was demoted; briefly ran the Family on the street for a couple of months after Scarfo was arrested early in 1987

Anthony Piccolo:
Promoted to acting consigliere a few months before Scarfo's arrest; ran the Family following Leonetti's arrest; continued as consigliere under John Stanfa

Nicodemo Scarfo Jr:
One-time captain of the Lucchese Family's Jersey crew

Domenic Grande:
Indicted captain

Steven Mazzone:
Served as captain, consigliere, acting underboss, acting boss and underboss
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Stevie calls Dom his nephew but they aren’t really related by blood. Stevie’s brother Anthony was married to Dom’s cousin.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

chin_gigante wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:12 am Looking at all the high-ranking guys related to this family (through marriage or blood) you have:

Joseph Rugnetta:
Captain under Joe Ida; briefly elevated to acting boss after Ida fled for Italy; taken down by the membership and served as underboss under Dominick Pollina; served as consigliere and head of the Calabrian faction under Angelo Bruno

Nicholas Piccolo:
Captain under Angelo Bruno; elevated to consigliere following the murder of Frank Monte

Nicodemo Scarfo:
Consigliere under Phil Testa; elevated to boss following Testa's murder thanks to his connections in the Genovese Family

Philip Leonetti:
Captain under Scarfo; left in charge of South Jersey operations during Scarfo's two-year sentence on the gun charge; promoted to underboss after Chucky Merlino was demoted; briefly ran the Family on the street for a couple of months after Scarfo was arrested early in 1987

Anthony Piccolo:
Promoted to acting consigliere a few months before Scarfo's arrest; ran the Family following Leonetti's arrest; continued as consigliere under John Stanfa

Nicodemo Scarfo Jr:
One-time captain of the Lucchese Family's Jersey crew

Domenic Grande:
Indicted captain

Steven Mazzone:
Served as captain, consigliere, acting underboss, acting boss and underboss
I find this interesting as well. While there's nothing conspiratorial about it, it is part of a traditionally ongoing pattern of Italo-family involvement in organized crime, both Sicilian and non.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The old story was that Rugnetta wanted to kill Scarfo for refusing to marry his daughter and insulting her appearance, but in a recent interview Leonetti said it was Chucky Merlino who rejected Rugnetta's daughter. I'd take Leonetti's word on it, though the DeNittis Talent Agency tapes from the 1970s have Testa, Scarfo, etc. talking about how Rugnetta was "too vindictive" and wanted to kill Scarfo, so there is still something to that part of the story.

Some of these stories/myths still need to be untangled. Thanks to Leonetti's book we were finally we were able to rule out the "banished to AC" story. Like Chin mentioned, Scarfo chose to go to AC as his parents were already there and he was with DeTullio. There's even an FBI report from the 1960s about Angelo Bruno holding a meeting with Scarfo and Merlino where he was attempting to get them legal help in the murder case. This should have been obvious -- Angelo Bruno would not take a dead Irishman's side in a random fight with one of his soldiers.
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

Per Schratwieser

“Judge denies Feds request for court protective order in Philly Mob underboss Steve Massones case. Judge won’t restrict access to evidence ,documents, wiretap conversations & cooperators secret tape recordings. Cities COVID Pandemic. Prosecutors concerned about potential harm to witnesses. They can appeal”

Curious about Mazzone his lawyers calling for a dismissal and now this
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

This case seems to get weaker by the week. When this indictment dropped, both DS and GA acknowledged the case looked weak and assumed there *had* to be superceding indictments and more charges coming. Doesn’t seem like that’s happening.

I also find the predictions that Dom flips to be hysterical. Over this indictment? If he gets more than 7-8 years at this point I will be stunned.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

I think it’s pretty clear the Feds plan was to roll this indictment into a series of larger charges, and unless something wild happens, it seems like that won’t happen.

Like I’ve said from the start, bragging about being able to sell 1000s of pills laced with fentanyl is entirely different than actually being caught selling 1000s of pills laced with fentanyl. Especially when the indictment drops 5-6 years after those claims were made. If Dom was really moving work like that, they’d have something more than him on a wire accurately assessing the market for opioids. “I could sell 1000s of pills” is literally a statement that any American could make and they wouldn’t be wrong. Ppl are popping them like Mentos.

Incriminating and embarrassing aren’t the same thing.
HoagieNose
Straightened out

Post by HoagieNose »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:02 pm I think it’s pretty clear the Feds plan was to roll this indictment into a series of larger charges, and unless something wild happens, it seems like that won’t happen.

Like I’ve said from the start, bragging about being able to sell 1000s of pills laced with fentanyl is entirely different than actually being caught selling 1000s of pills laced with fentanyl. Especially when the indictment drops 5-6 years after those claims were made. If Dom was really moving work like that, they’d have something more than him on a wire accurately assessing the market for opioids. “I could sell 1000s of pills” is literally a statement that any American could make and they wouldn’t be wrong. Ppl are popping them like Mentos.

Incriminating and embarrassing aren’t the same thing.
Agreed. At this point Steve may walk and Dom might plea to 5 years or something.
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

The Feds are trying to hide from the public what a sleazebag they have for a cooperating witness. They are hoping to extract pleas from everyone. Judge is right here, the feds being disingenuous as usual. Meringolo and McMonagle know the fed system, this will get interesting. May result in some 1 or 2 year pleas for some and 3-5 for others. The interesting part of the case is the drug part. Makes for some complicating factors for guys at the top and bottom of the indictment.
Doobeez
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Sonny Mazzone and 4 others arrested on federal charges

Post by Doobeez »

Rocco wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:25 pm
Its the Fentynal. These dipshits making pills with it. Now they are lacing Fentynal with Coke and people are dying in droves from Cocaine/Fentynal overdoses. Usually someone that his been cocaine for a longtime. They buy it lock them selves in a room to binge on it/smoke it...and they die because fentynal is in it. You cant binge on blow if it has fentynal in it..it kills you. During covet there was a shortage on blow in NYC. They laced it with Fentynal tons of deaths in 5 boroughs from the spring till the fall.

Also, it's not uncommon to find Crystal meth laced with fentynal. They call it "Sleepy Dope" down here. You shoot it up and then it's nap time almost immediately.

If that isn't enough, down here, weed is being laced with fentanyl apparently..
West Coast1
Straightened out

Post by West Coast1 »

where is down here
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

West Coast1 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:52 pm where is down here
Nowhere you wanna be apparently
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny