Trafficante Crime Family

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Trafficante Crime Family

Post by Wiseguy »

Rocco wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 am Family is dead. Has been for a longtime.
Yup. As far back as the early 1990s they were among 10 families ready to be written off by at least some in law enforcement
All roads lead to New York.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Wiseguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:03 am
Rocco wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 am Family is dead. Has been for a longtime.
Yup. As far back as the early 1990s they were among 10 families ready to be written off by at least some in law enforcement
I think the fascination about the trafficante kept it alive longer then it actually was ..lol
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:49 am
sdeitche wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:41 am
Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:48 am
sdeitche wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:33 am
Wiseguy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:48 pm Defunct. Only a handful of members still living, most in their 70's and 80's.
Vince LoScalzo - 83
Frank Albano - 80
Antonio Amorelli - early 70s
Joe DiGerlando - early 80s
James Valenti - late 80s
Santo Carollo- 83/84

Some associates still around as well, but many of them are getting up in age as well.
Scott, your the expert on Tampa. Can you tell me when they stopped being an organized crime group? I know they had that indictment about 20 years ago. Did that destroy the family? Can you positively say that there is no organization anymore?
It wasn't law enforcement. Most of them by the mid 90s were involved in legitimate businesses and the crime stuff kind of wound down until the mid 2000s. Last concrete Trafficante family activity I have info on dates from about 2009 from an investigation that never went public.

The 2000 Raffa indictment took out the Miami faction for a bit but most everyone of those guys got out after a couple years. I believe most are still around South Florida (a few passed away).

I have not seen any evidence of an organization Even the Sheriff's Department intelligence guys came ot me a few times about updated info for their files. Really though there is no one in the FBI, FDLE, or local that are investigating traditional OC in the Tampa Bay area.
What was the 2009 investigation over? Also, can you talk about who Loscalzo met after he was made boss? I heard he met with the Chicago Outfit and also New Orleans and Dallas? Can you get more In-depth about that?
The 2009 investigation concerned local corruption. Nothing particularly interesting.

When LoScalzo took over he was surveilled by an FDLE agent meeting with Joe Campisi in Dallas, Frank Valenti in phoenix, Joe Marcello in NOLA (they were close), Joe Arcuri in NYC (Recall that Joe Arcuri is from Tampa), and I cant recall who from Chicago.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Rocco wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 am Family is dead. Has been for a longtime. Loscalzo has been retired for a longtime as well. I think all you need to do is read into FBI files on the Gambino Tampa crew that was running down there. They had an associate of the Trafficante's involved with them.
That was Terry Scaglione, grandson of Nick Scaglione.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Rocco wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 am Mamone was a Jersey Genovese Associate moved to Florida after DiGilio got clipped and got Made under Raffa somehow..and I am pretty sure after DiGilio got clipped his future with the Genovese crew was over. I am not sure if friends of the his from the Gambino's vouched for him with Raffa ..I have no idea how he wound up with Raffa down there. But it certainly seemed that Raffa's crew was east coast based from the getgo and not super tight with the old timers in Tampa (that were alive back then). There whole thing is weird down there the loose net connection with Loscalzo to the Broward County Raffa crew members from up north etc. Mamone was a Jersey guy who knew allot of NY guys . So when he was down there. You had NY lucchese guys meeting him, Bonanno NY guys, Gambino's ...I mean Mamone was really the Tampa familys point man down there with guys up north once he got made down there. Raffa and Loscalzo didn't know any of these made guys that Mamone knew from NJ and NY.
I also never found out exactly how Mamone ended up with Raffa.

Mamone was made at Malio's in Tampa by one of the Deicidue brothers, forget which one - not Frank.

The ties between Raffa and LoScalzo go back to their families and Sicily. THough Raffa doesn't show up hardly at all in Tampa until the 80s and 90s, and then only barely. Both him and LoScalzo were pallbearers at the funeral of longtime Tampa member Arthur Perla in 98.
MadMan
Prospect

Post by MadMan »

6 dz6. Rz g,3 3 &%
G.,, TXT 6 7AM D BB 2K

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

cdc
Straightened out

Post by cdc »

We’re the piazza’s ever made into the trafficante family?
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

sdeitche wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:28 am
Mikeymike12 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:38 pm During what time was this a viable family at its peak ? Which of the five families was Trafficantes go to family? The Genovese?
What was their biggest downfall?
1950s-1970s

Gambinos

Attrition. it was a gradual dissolution. Was not law enforcement.
Trafficante seemed to be a Meyer Lansky confidant. I've always assumed that as Lansky's influence waned, so did Trafficante's power, and Marcello too for that matter. Was he closer to the Gambinos than he was Meyer and his Luciano/Genovese associates?
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Trafficante had more invested in Cuba than anyone, so he he and Lansky definitely worked together. He took a **huuuge** loss when Castro took over. I think he was the last boss to leave the island.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

sdeitche wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:40 pm
Rocco wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 am Mamone was a Jersey Genovese Associate moved to Florida after DiGilio got clipped and got Made under Raffa somehow..and I am pretty sure after DiGilio got clipped his future with the Genovese crew was over. I am not sure if friends of the his from the Gambino's vouched for him with Raffa ..I have no idea how he wound up with Raffa down there. But it certainly seemed that Raffa's crew was east coast based from the getgo and not super tight with the old timers in Tampa (that were alive back then). There whole thing is weird down there the loose net connection with Loscalzo to the Broward County Raffa crew members from up north etc. Mamone was a Jersey guy who knew allot of NY guys . So when he was down there. You had NY lucchese guys meeting him, Bonanno NY guys, Gambino's ...I mean Mamone was really the Tampa familys point man down there with guys up north once he got made down there. Raffa and Loscalzo didn't know any of these made guys that Mamone knew from NJ and NY.

Mamone was made at Malio's in Tampa by one of the Deicidue brothers, forget which one - not Frank.

The ties between Raffa and LoScalzo go back to their families and Sicily. THough Raffa doesn't show up hardly at all in Tampa until the 80s and 90s, and then only barely. Both him and LoScalzo were pallbearers at the funeral of longtime Tampa member Arthur Perla in 98.
Scott, who were the last members made? Is bookmaking big in Tampa? Also, do you have any info on Joe Campisi in Dallas? I know he died in 1990. The Campisi family has been in trouble in the past 10 years.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

cdc wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:18 pm We’re the piazza’s ever made into the trafficante family?
Phillip Piazza was.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:16 pm
sdeitche wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:28 am
Mikeymike12 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:38 pm During what time was this a viable family at its peak ? Which of the five families was Trafficantes go to family? The Genovese?
What was their biggest downfall?
1950s-1970s

Gambinos

Attrition. it was a gradual dissolution. Was not law enforcement.
Trafficante seemed to be a Meyer Lansky confidant. I've always assumed that as Lansky's influence waned, so did Trafficante's power, and Marcello too for that matter. Was he closer to the Gambinos than he was Meyer and his Luciano/Genovese associates?
No, He was not that close with Lansky.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:24 pm Trafficante had more invested in Cuba than anyone, so he he and Lansky definitely worked together. He took a **huuuge** loss when Castro took over. I think he was the last boss to leave the island.
Trafficante didn't leave on his own accord, He actually stayed and tried to make a go of things. He previously knew castro as Castro did some fundraising in Tampa years prior. Of course Castro then jailed him and he eventually was allowed to leave.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:24 pm

Scott, who were the last members made? Is bookmaking big in Tampa? Also, do you have any info on Joe Campisi in Dallas? I know he died in 1990. The Campisi family has been in trouble in the past 10 years.
I posted earlier the last made guys around. It's been a while. Mamone was probably among the last, in the early/mid 90s.

I dont know too much on Campisi. He was friends with Jack Ruby and supposedly took over what was left of the Dallas family after Civello died.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

sdeitche wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:55 am
Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:24 pm

I posted earlier the last made guys around. It's been a while. Mamone was probably among the last, in the early/mid 90s.

I dont know too much on Campisi. He was friends with Jack Ruby and supposedly took over what was left of the Dallas family after Civello died.
Interesting. I heard that they might have made some Sicilians in the mid 2000s?? Have you heard this?