FBI not knowing Nick calabrese commited all those murders

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cavita
Full Patched

Re: FBI not knowing Nick calabrese commited all those murders

Post by cavita »

Nick also gave info to the feds about the Giancana murder but it was never revealed what he told them.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Snakes wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:01 pm
BarrettM wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:50 pm Was Nick Calabrese a made guy?
Yes
Do you know what year he was made? And did he have his own crew and operations, or was he more of a lackey for his brother?
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Nick was made in 83 i think, and he belonged to his brother's crew who in turn belonged to the LaPietra/Monteleone group
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:59 am
Yes
Do you know what year he was made? And did he have his own crew and operations, or was he more of a lackey for his brother?
Supposedly in 83 along side his brother. A few other "big" chicago guys were made that very day, supposedly, as well. If I recall correctly it was Auippa who did the ceremony, and compared to other Chicago making ceremonies, it was much more "ceremonial" (i.e. more like a NY making ceremony versus the simple "hey, you're made now" type of things we've heard about Chicago). I gotta go back into the book, which is essentially just Nick C's testimony and the trial written out in layman's terms, but I believe Jimmy Marcello, John Matassa, and a few other relatively popular outfit names were made on the same day as Frank and Nick.

One thing I do remember was that it was during the fall on a day where the Vikings played the Bears. Another thing I found odd was that Nick had no idea what was going on...supposedly. Like he was told to be somewhere to meet the LaPietra brothers, he went there, they shuttled him to somewhere else, and he went through a ceremony to which he had no idea what any of it really meant. Afterwords Angelo LaPietra told him that nothing had really changed, other than that they now had "a little bit more" life insurance. I'm not sure if I buy that...sounds way too much like a "babe in the woods" routine. How clueless can the guy be? Especially if his brother was plugged in for a while and was in and around OC for almost 25 years at that point.. Nick would have heard some things and knew what "being made" was all about.

I'm not sure if he had his own crew and operations, but I'm also not sure if he was simply just a lackey for his brother. The whole entire story with them is weird and probably should be taken with a grain of salt - you gotta think both Nick and his nephew had a lot of contempt for Frank Senior and everything we know comes from that point of view. They told what they told to get out from under both the law and under Frank Senior. I would guess that as a 'made man' - Nick had some own personal associates and/or dealings of his own, but according to himself and Frank Junior, he was a payroll guy; Frank Senior simply had him on a fixed income and had him as a worker.

i know some people think Culotta is a bullshit artist and I don't know enough about Chicago to refute or contest that, but I've found his "Coffee with Culotta" YouTube show to be a great trove of Chicago info, despite it being mostly anecdotes and second hand stories. IIRC, Culotta said that Frank Calabrese actually didn't come up with the Cicero / Chinatown Southside guys, he was really around Nicoletti at first and I guess what would be the "west side" guys (I really don't know how Chicago territory breaks down, especially since we're finding out now that the territories may not have been divided and defined as we once initially thought). Culotta said that Frank was more or less an aspiring mobster hanging around anybody he could, but over the course of time made his own way in the world and graduated into becoming a feared and respected guy. The Family Secrets book really doesn't mention anything about this at all and says that the Calabrese Bro's whole entire being in the Outfit started with LaPietra and the South Side.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

The most confusing info regarding Nicks ceremony is Tornabenes presence next to Aiuppa
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

newera_212 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:56 am Supposedly in 83 along side his brother. A few other "big" chicago guys were made that very day, supposedly, as well. If I recall correctly it was Auippa who did the ceremony, and compared to other Chicago making ceremonies, it was much more "ceremonial" (i.e. more like a NY making ceremony versus the simple "hey, you're made now" type of things we've heard about Chicago). I gotta go back into the book, which is essentially just Nick C's testimony and the trial written out in layman's terms, but I believe Jimmy Marcello, John Matassa, and a few other relatively popular outfit names were made on the same day as Frank and Nick.

One thing I do remember was that it was during the fall on a day where the Vikings played the Bears. Another thing I found odd was that Nick had no idea what was going on...supposedly. Like he was told to be somewhere to meet the LaPietra brothers, he went there, they shuttled him to somewhere else, and he went through a ceremony to which he had no idea what any of it really meant. Afterwords Angelo LaPietra told him that nothing had really changed, other than that they now had "a little bit more" life insurance. I'm not sure if I buy that...sounds way too much like a "babe in the woods" routine. How clueless can the guy be? Especially if his brother was plugged in for a while and was in and around OC for almost 25 years at that point.. Nick would have heard some things and knew what "being made" was all about.

I'm not sure if he had his own crew and operations, but I'm also not sure if he was simply just a lackey for his brother. The whole entire story with them is weird and probably should be taken with a grain of salt - you gotta think both Nick and his nephew had a lot of contempt for Frank Senior and everything we know comes from that point of view. They told what they told to get out from under both the law and under Frank Senior. I would guess that as a 'made man' - Nick had some own personal associates and/or dealings of his own, but according to himself and Frank Junior, he was a payroll guy; Frank Senior simply had him on a fixed income and had him as a worker.

i know some people think Culotta is a bullshit artist and I don't know enough about Chicago to refute or contest that, but I've found his "Coffee with Culotta" YouTube show to be a great trove of Chicago info, despite it being mostly anecdotes and second hand stories. IIRC, Culotta said that Frank Calabrese actually didn't come up with the Cicero / Chinatown Southside guys, he was really around Nicoletti at first and I guess what would be the "west side" guys (I really don't know how Chicago territory breaks down, especially since we're finding out now that the territories may not have been divided and defined as we once initially thought). Culotta said that Frank was more or less an aspiring mobster hanging around anybody he could, but over the course of time made his own way in the world and graduated into becoming a feared and respected guy. The Family Secrets book really doesn't mention anything about this at all and says that the Calabrese Bro's whole entire being in the Outfit started with LaPietra and the South Side.
Nick Calabrese was in the same crew as his brother, Frank Sr. They were one of the "sub crews" of the South Side Group. In his testimony, Nick had to be honest about all the major details. However, concerning some of the minor details that we would find interesting, some of what he said made no sense. In regards to the Feds, as long as all the "major" details were correct, that's all they cared about in order to make their case.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

newera_212 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:56 am
Yes
Supposedly in 83 along side his brother. A few other "big" chicago guys were made that very day, supposedly, as well. If I recall correctly it was Auippa who did the ceremony, and compared to other Chicago making ceremonies, it was much more "ceremonial" (i.e. more like a NY making ceremony versus the simple "hey, you're made now" type of things we've heard about Chicago). I gotta go back into the book, which is essentially just Nick C's testimony and the trial written out in layman's terms, but I believe Jimmy Marcello, John Matassa, and a few other relatively popular outfit names were made on the same day as Frank and Nick.

I’ve read nicks full testimony many times. He knew he was being made. The day before they were made Angelo lapietra had nick and frank sr at his house and said you guys wanna be made? And nick said he said yes because he was worried if he said no he wouldn’t make it out of there. So he knew and was asked beforehand. According to nick and frank jr, frank sr was Independent and didn’t wanna be with the outfit. He saved 10 grand from doing robberies and put it out on the street and slowly built up from there. Once he got big enough that people noticed Angelo called him in and said he was gonna be with him and that’s it. He couldn’t operate independently. That’s the story they all told so I don’t have any idea where Culotta got that from. Also important to note what crew you are in doesn’t mean anything as to where you can operate. Frank sr lived in Elmwood Park which nowhere near Chinatown and did business all over the City
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Confederate wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:24 pm
newera_212 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:56 am Supposedly in 83 along side his brother. A few other "big" chicago guys were made that very day, supposedly, as well. If I recall correctly it was Auippa who did the ceremony, and compared to other Chicago making ceremonies, it was much more "ceremonial" (i.e. more like a NY making ceremony versus the simple "hey, you're made now" type of things we've heard about Chicago). I gotta go back into the book, which is essentially just Nick C's testimony and the trial written out in layman's terms, but I believe Jimmy Marcello, John Matassa, and a few other relatively popular outfit names were made on the same day as Frank and Nick.

Nick Calabrese was in the same crew as his brother, Frank Sr. They were one of the "sub crews" of the South Side Group. In his testimony, Nick had to be honest about all the major details. However, concerning some of the minor details that we would find interesting, some of what he said made no sense. In regards to the Feds, as long as all the "major" details were correct, that's all they cared about in order to make their case.
I wouldn’t really call it a sub crew. They all reported to Angelo. But I get what your saying. Basically it’s like any made guy that has guys under him. But Nick Calabrese did not report to his brother. Angelo and later jimmy lapietra would call on him to do things that his brother had nothing to do with and in theory Nick was never supposed to tell frank anything he did that frank wasnt there for. If frank was his boss the orders would flow through him. Sure frank sr was big time so nick would do what he told him but as far as the outfit was concerned frank wasn’t different in ranking than nick. They both reported to Angelo. What set frank apart was he was a huge moneymaker probably in his day the biggest loan shark in Chicago with millions on the street. Nick would kill you just the same as frank tho. Angelo I think was one of the most treacherous guys that most people probably don’t know much about. The only reason I know is reading nicks testimony and hearing all the stories he told about Angelo
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Pete wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Yes

I’ve read nicks full testimony many times. He knew he was being made. The day before they were made Angelo lapietra had nick and frank sr at his house and said you guys wanna be made? And nick said he said yes because he was worried if he said no he wouldn’t make it out of there. So he knew and was asked beforehand. According to nick and frank jr, frank sr was Independent and didn’t wanna be with the outfit. He saved 10 grand from doing robberies and put it out on the street and slowly built up from there. Once he got big enough that people noticed Angelo called him in and said he was gonna be with him and that’s it. He couldn’t operate independently. That’s the story they all told so I don’t have any idea where Culotta got that from. Also important to note what crew you are in doesn’t mean anything as to where you can operate. Frank sr lived in Elmwood Park which nowhere near Chinatown and did business all over the City
Thanks for the clarification that Nick at least knew he was going to get made. Maybe he just didn't know all the details surrounding it. Perhaps that is what newera 212 meant in his post?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Pete wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:17 pm
Confederate wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:24 pm

I wouldn’t really call it a sub crew. They all reported to Angelo. But I get what your saying. Basically it’s like any made guy that has guys under him. But Nick Calabrese did not report to his brother. Angelo and later jimmy lapietra would call on him to do things that his brother had nothing to do with and in theory Nick was never supposed to tell frank anything he did that frank wasnt there for. If frank was his boss the orders would flow through him. Sure frank sr was big time so nick would do what he told him but as far as the outfit was concerned frank wasn’t different in ranking than nick. They both reported to Angelo. What set frank apart was he was a huge moneymaker probably in his day the biggest loan shark in Chicago with millions on the street. Nick would kill you just the same as frank tho. Angelo I think was one of the most treacherous guys that most people probably don’t know much about. The only reason I know is reading nicks testimony and hearing all the stories he told about Angelo
I always got the impression that Nick was Frank's partner.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Pete wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:17 pm
That's a good detail. Nick was an assistant to the crew Boss being Frank Sr. However, what you said made sense because being that Nick was a made guy, Angelo LaPietra could call on him for anything at anytime with or without Frank Sr. being involved. They were both subservient to LaPietra.
I think I remember reading where Nick would actually deliver money to Angelo & put it in a certain place where he would find it.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

I also thought Nick was Frank Sr.'s junior partner in that crew. I thought it was Nick who was involved in digging up a lot of money that was buried only to find out it was all rotted & no good. I got the impression that money belonged to Frank Sr. & him. Maybe it wasn't 50/50 but I had the impression a certain percentage of it belonged to Nick unless I am remembering the story incorrectly & Nick was only telling what happened to Frank's money?
Don't exactly remember.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Confederate wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:47 pm I also thought Nick was Frank Sr.'s junior partner in that crew. I thought it was Nick who was involved in digging up a lot of money that was buried only to find out it was all rotted & no good. I got the impression that money belonged to Frank Sr. & him. Maybe it wasn't 50/50 but I had the impression a certain percentage of it belonged to Nick unless I am remembering the story incorrectly & Nick was only telling what happened to Frank's money?
Don't exactly remember.
Not partners. Another interesting part of the testimony in the late 80’s jimmy lapietra who was then the capo said to nick how much is your brother paying. Nick got a flat salary. Nick told jimmy I make enough. He said how much does he give you and I want an answer. He said frank gives me 3 grand a month. He said tell him he’s gotta start giving you I think it was 5 grand a month or something like that. Meanwhile frank was making millions
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Confederate wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:23 pm
Pete wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Yes

Thanks for the clarification that Nick at least knew he was going to get made. Maybe he just didn't know all the details surrounding it. Perhaps that is what newera 212 meant in his post?
Your correct he knew he was gonna be made but he said specifically he had no idea what it was until he got there. Aiuppa held the ceremony with al tornabene assisting and then the capos
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

https://books.google.com/books?id=jcyIW ... rs&f=false
FT Transcript p2693 - Calabrese making ceremony.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.