New York Purple Gang Book

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Cacuzza
Straightened out

Re: New York Purple Gang Book

Post by Cacuzza »

BeatiPaoli wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:56 am To Jiggs: Thank you for your perspective! Appreciate it very much.

To S. Dietche: Thank you for your reply! Will be looking forward to adding your new book to my collection.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
When does the book come out? Or is it already out?
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Cacuzza wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:32 pm
BeatiPaoli wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:56 am To Jiggs: Thank you for your perspective! Appreciate it very much.

To S. Dietche: Thank you for your reply! Will be looking forward to adding your new book to my collection.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
On page 2 he says it will be out April 2021
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

bert wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:56 pm
Cacuzza wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:32 pm

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
On page 2 he says it will be out April 2021
No, thats when its due to publisher. No pub date yet, likely Fall 2021.
Mustangsally
Straightened out

Post by Mustangsally »

I read that Meldish was associated with the purple gang, I cant imagine they have much structure today. Are they really still around? Are they Jewish?
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

I'll bet that if they're still around that they're still "Landsmen".
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
Mustangsally
Straightened out

Post by Mustangsally »

FriendofHenry wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:22 am I'll bet that if they're still around that they're still "Landsmen".
I know meldish was, but I dont know of any others.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Mustangsally wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:50 am
FriendofHenry wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:22 am I'll bet that if they're still around that they're still "Landsmen".
I know meldish was, but I dont know of any others.
I'm sure you know that all members of The Purple Gang are Landsmen. So if the're The Purple Gang then they're Jewish.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

JIGGS wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:03 pm
UTC wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:16 pm
Chopper wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:13 am
Charlie wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:30 am Funniest shit was when someone (I wanna say JohnnyDel or Mafioso) got George Anastasia to join the old board.
First post Anastasia sees is Maggio saying he fucked a kid in the ass or some shit like that. Anastasia never came back. :lol:
See, I do miss that crazy shit :D
I remember Picasso saying Frankie Valli fucked a retarded kid up the ass.
He aint never said that fuck you talking about??

JIGGS
I'm talking about when he outright said that at least three times.
Cacuzza
Straightened out

Post by Cacuzza »

Mustangsally wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:14 am I read that Meldish was associated with the purple gang, I cant imagine they have much structure today. Are they really still around? Are they Jewish?
The Jewish "Purple Gang" were the guys from Detroit during the Prohibition 1920's. The East Harlem guys during the 1960's and '70's were a mixed bag that included many young Italian, American Italians from the Bronx and East Harlem looking to be discovered and invited in while doing work for those whom they were trying to impress. Although the people they were trying to impress knew who they were because they all knew each others family as a result of coming from the same neighborhood.

If any of them are still alive today, and they are most likely not active in anything or have not been for quite some time, they would be in their mid to late 70's and pushing 80. Many are dead.

Maybe the corona in NY might have finished them the remainder by now. Some could have been in the nursing homes we hear about that became a death trap for the elderly in New York and New Jersey.
crabby appleton
Straightened out

Post by crabby appleton »

The people they were trying to impress were members of Lucchese and Genovese families. There were some non Italians there with these guys too. They knew they could never be made but they were a known reliable commodity. Tough knock around guys who could be trusted to do things, take a pinch, relied upon to keep their mouth shut, and to return to where they left off when they got out. That's were guys like Meldish fit in. If anyone from then is still alive today I would guess they would be close to 90 years old if not in their 90's by now. I knew one of the Italian American guys who died in 2001 at age 71. Do the math.
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

gimme a break.

JIGGS
Ryan98366
Straightened out

Post by Ryan98366 »

I wish there was a Purple Gang. I also wish there was Santa Claus.
#Let’s Go Brandon!
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

I thought there was new information on the book. lol.

The author himself chimes in at the beginning of the thread and addresses whether they existed or not. The point of the book. The look at the players and what impact they really had, whether or not they could be considered a legit crew. They had a lot of notoriety so the topic is relevant.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:47 am I thought there was new information on the book. lol.

The author himself chimes in at the beginning of the thread and addresses whether they existed or not. The point of the book. The look at the players and what impact they really had, whether or not they could be considered a legit crew. They had a lot of notoriety so the topic is relevant.
I'm plugging away! Found some good sources of info, but some has been harder to find. I did get a copy of the 1976 DEA report, but the ATF did not have a copy of their 1979 report, nor was I able to find a copy of the late 1970s FDLE report (though I have a source looking into an alternative avenue for the ATF report). I've spoken to some guys who knew some of the "Gang"- some were open to talking, others not so much.

The one thing, from a writing/researching perspective that I'm liking about this subject is that I'm coming from a place of little existing information and building upon it, as opposed to some of my other projects which were taking huge caches of available materials and winnowing them down. I'm enjoying this process.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

sdeitche wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:22 am
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:47 am I thought there was new information on the book. lol.

I'm plugging away! Found some good sources of info, but some has been harder to find. I did get a copy of the 1976 DEA report, but the ATF did not have a copy of their 1979 report, nor was I able to find a copy of the late 1970s FDLE report (though I have a source looking into an alternative avenue for the ATF report). I've spoken to some guys who knew some of the "Gang"- some were open to talking, others not so much.

The one thing, from a writing/researching perspective that I'm liking about this subject is that I'm coming from a place of little existing information and building upon it, as opposed to some of my other projects which were taking huge caches of available materials and winnowing them down. I'm enjoying this process.
Thanks for replying! Will buy when it's released. Harlem's mob history is always interesting.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”