New York Purple Gang Book

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

John W
Straightened out

New York Purple Gang Book

Post by John W »

Apparently Scott Deitche’s new book is going to be called Hitmen, The Mafia’s Killing Squad, the true crime history of NY’s infamous Purple Gang of the 70s and 80s

I didn’t think the Purple Gang in New York was really a thing and was created by the press?
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Re: New York Purple Gang Book

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Lucchese farm team in East Harlem right? "Pleasant Avenue bunch" in Carlito's Way are based on them.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
crabby appleton
Straightened out

Post by crabby appleton »

I hope Scott includes a copy of the July 1979 ATF report about the Purple Gang as referenced in Chapter 8 : The Secret Government of Waste from the 1985 book titled Poisoning for Profit by A. Block and F. Scarpitti.

Poisoning for Profit
https://www.amazon.com/Poisoning-Profit ... 0688039707
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

John W wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:45 pm Apparently Scott Deitche’s new book is going to be called Hitmen, The Mafia’s Killing Squad, the true crime history of NY’s infamous Purple Gang of the 70s and 80s

I didn’t think the Purple Gang in New York was really a thing and was created by the press?
It was blown up bigger by the press. They came and went, a few kept going but they were not a Mafia killing squad.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Uh oh...

JIGGS is gonna love this.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:28 pm Uh oh...

I heard he wrote the Forward to it. :mrgreen:

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

Fuck all a youse.

JIGGS
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:51 pm Lucchese farm team in East Harlem right? "Pleasant Avenue bunch" in Carlito's Way are based on them.
No sir.

Pleasant avenue bunch = 116th street crew.

This comes straight from the horses mouth. (Judge eddie torres).

JIGGS
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Thank you Jiggs.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:50 pm Thank you Jiggs.
The only purple gang was in detroit.

JIGGS
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:28 pm Uh oh...

I already reached out to him.

JIGGS- you're gonna write the cover blurb - right? :mrgreen:
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

crabby appleton wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:55 pm I hope Scott includes a copy of the July 1979 ATF report about the Purple Gang as referenced in Chapter 8 : The Secret Government of Waste from the 1985 book titled Poisoning for Profit by A. Block and F. Scarpitti.

Poisoning for Profit
https://www.amazon.com/Poisoning-Profit ... 0688039707
Have a FOIA request into the ATF for it. Also tracking it down from another source.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

bert wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 pm
John W wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:45 pm Apparently Scott Deitche’s new book is going to be called Hitmen, The Mafia’s Killing Squad, the true crime history of NY’s infamous Purple Gang of the 70s and 80s

It was blown up bigger by the press. They came and went, a few kept going but they were not a Mafia killing squad.
That's the thrust of my book. Dig beyond the hype.

It's a working title...
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

sdeitche wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:51 am

It's a working title...

I'm really looking forward to this. whether there was a purple gang our not the East Harlem 116th st crew is wildly fascinating
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Cheech wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:53 am
sdeitche wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:51 am

It's a working title...

I'm really looking forward to this. whether there was a purple gang our not the East Harlem 116th st crew is wildly fascinating
Thank you. It's due in April 2021, so assume publication will be in the fall 2021