Genovese Administration 1970s

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Frank
Full Patched

Re: Genovese Administration 1970s

Post by Frank »

B. wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:25 pm - In early 1969, multiple informants reported rumors that Frank Tieri would succeed Vito Genovese as boss. He was described by one as "knowledgeable, loyal ,and well-liked." The informant felt, however, that Tieri would not have "complete authority" like Genovese had, and instead he would "probably function within a commission" made up of several redacted names, all of them high-ranking Genovese members. Other informants described the favorable opinion other members had toward Tieri during this time.
I could see that as a possibility, a commission or ruling panel instead of one person who replaced Genovese.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

The committee/ panel point is supported also later in the FBI files with reference to a three man panel (Zeccardi, Ardito and DeFeo - DeFeo being replaced by Alongi) running the family during Tieri's health problems from 1974 to 1975/6 and then again the triumvirate of Lombardo, Salerno and Gigante during Tieri's legal problems at the end of his life.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Frank wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:16 pm
B. wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:25 pm - In early 1969, multiple informants reported rumors that Frank Tieri would succeed Vito Genovese as boss. He was described by one as "knowledgeable, loyal ,and well-liked." The informant felt, however, that Tieri would not have "complete authority" like Genovese had, and instead he would "probably function within a commission" made up of several redacted names, all of them high-ranking Genovese members. Other informants described the favorable opinion other members had toward Tieri during this time.
I could see that as a possibility, a commission or ruling panel instead of one person who replaced Genovese.
Yeah, just interesting that speculation before Genovese died fit with some of the later theories about a distribution of power. Fratianno's meeting with the Genovese leaders, including Tieri, made it sound like they were making decisions as a committee (by then including Gigante) even if it wasn't a true "ruling panel".
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Also if there was a ruling panel that took the spot of official boss, maybe there was no official Underboss or Consigliere. That could explain the mess of trying to chart the whole administration during the 70s. Maybe for instance if there was a meeting, they would bring a person they trusted with them to help and advise them and just refer to him as consigliere. Or even a rotating type of system. Maybe when meeting with other families they just tried to identify a person in terms the other families would understand. It might explain these positions going in all different directions. I'm just trying to think out of the box.
don-shunter
Straightened out

Post by don-shunter »

This sounds like the similar system the Genovese have used after gigante died and before bellomo took over. Rotating senior leaders as a decision making body until one leader looks the better fit and leaving him as official boss.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Frank wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:15 pm Also isn't it pretty clear in conversations that were recorded in the 1960's that Catena was acting boss and Eboli was acting Underboss.
Absolutely!

Another thing that makes me criticize what Cafaro said about this whole front boss crap is his claim (off the top of my head) saying that Vito Genovese had passed over control of the Family to Lombardo in the early 1960s when he went to jail. How plausible does that sound? It´s unbelievable that not only did Lombardo use Salerno and Tieri previously as front bosses, but also Catena and Eboli already in the early 1960s.

- In early 1969, multiple informants reported rumors that Frank Tieri would succeed Vito Genovese as boss. He was described by one as "knowledgeable, loyal ,and well-liked." The informant felt, however, that Tieri would not have "complete authority" like Genovese had, and instead he would "probably function within a commission" made up of several redacted names, all of them high-ranking Genovese members.

Yeah, that was in early 1969 when a successor to Genovese had not yet been appointed. There were of course candidates but no clear cut successor. A ruling panel must have been an option for the time being. Lombardo may very well have been part of a ruling panel (with Tieri, and a third party, sometime shortly after Eboli´s death) later on but by 1973/1974 Tieri was the official head.
There you have it, never printed before.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Harry did you ever get those matty horse files?
Guy Fatato said on a tape-recording that Franzese's vig on a $30,000 debt was "like social security" for him. - GohnJotti
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

was it true Pete DeFeo had problems with Gigante? i remember reading somewhere that they were "rivals." were from the same neighborhood more or less...few blocks across town...and were both powerful in their own right. did DeFeo get shelved? and did it have anything to do with Gigantes rise? i wish i remember where i read that, but i do remember seeing they had problems
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Cheech wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:21 pm Harry did you ever get those matty horse files?
I think he did but it was mostly worthless. I could be mistaken, though.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Snakes wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:58 pm
Cheech wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:21 pm Harry did you ever get those matty horse files?
No I haven't yet.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

From Life Magazine, Feb 28, 1969....
They had Lombardo as a power back then....

https://books.google.com/books?id=r1IEA ... se&f=false
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:47 pm
Frank wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:15 pm Also isn't it pretty clear in conversations that were recorded in the 1960's that Catena was acting boss and Eboli was acting Underboss.
Absolutely!

Another thing that makes me criticize what Cafaro said about this whole front boss crap is his claim (off the top of my head) saying that Vito Genovese had passed over control of the Family to Lombardo in the early 1960s when he went to jail. How plausible does that sound? It´s unbelievable that not only did Lombardo use Salerno and Tieri previously as front bosses, but also Catena and Eboli already in the early 1960s.

- In early 1969, multiple informants reported rumors that Frank Tieri would succeed Vito Genovese as boss. He was described by one as "knowledgeable, loyal ,and well-liked." The informant felt, however, that Tieri would not have "complete authority" like Genovese had, and instead he would "probably function within a commission" made up of several redacted names, all of them high-ranking Genovese members.

Yeah, that was in early 1969 when a successor to Genovese had not yet been appointed. There were of course candidates but no clear cut successor. A ruling panel must have been an option for the time being. Lombardo may very well have been part of a ruling panel (with Tieri, and a third party, sometime shortly after Eboli´s death) later on but by 1973/1974 Tieri was the official head.
When I've read the Cafaro statement when Vito went to prison in the 1960s, I always think didn't he go to prison in the 1950s. So then I always think he has other things wrong.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Frank wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:45 am
HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:47 pm
Absolutely!

When I've read the Cafaro statement when Vito went to prison in the 1960s, I always think didn't he go to prison in the 1950s. So then I always think he has other things wrong.
I think Genovese was convicted in 1958, but his conviction was not affirmed until after his appeal was turned down in Jan 1960.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:49 pm
Snakes wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:58 pm
No I haven't yet.
I think the Friends of Ours blog had some Matty Ianniello files. That may have been what I was thinking of. Nothing particularly interesting, though.
Manhattan_
Straightened out

Post by Manhattan_ »

Do not over look Dom (The Sailor) DeQuartro , not sure if he was ever part of the Genovese Administration but he held a lot of power after Tommy Eboli was killed. Hard to research but very much part of the Westside crew , may have been in charge post Eboli pre Gigante.