Genovese Administration 1970s

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

chin_gigante
Full Patched

Genovese Administration 1970s

Post by chin_gigante »

I have been carrying out some extensive research into the Genovese administration during the 1970s I’ve grouped my findings under three sub-headings: key dates, published sources and FBI files.

Key Dates:

Vito Genovese dies 14th February 1969
Gerardo Catena indicted 1970, released 19th August 1975
Thomas Eboli murdered 16th July 1972
Michele Miranda dies 16th July 1973
Frank Tieri convicted 21th November 1980
Frank Tieri dies 31st March 1981
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Re: Genovese Administration 1970s

Post by chin_gigante »

Published Sources:

LIFE Magazine 28th February 1969: Power Struggle After a Death in the Family (Sandy Smith)

- ‘There are three logical successors to Genovese: Gerardo (Jerry) Catena, 67, the titular Boss pro tem of the gang during Genovese’s imprisonment; Michele (Mike) Miranda, 72, the consiglieri or senior advisor of the Family; and Thomas Eboli, 58, the acting Underboss who prefers the name “Tommy Ryan.”
‘Over the last five years, Catena let it be known that he had no desire to be Boss. His rackets and vending machine firms (his estimated worth exceeds $10 million) are in New Jersey, where he desires to remain, aloof from Cosa Nostra turbulence in New York City. Catena much prefers golf to cracking heads. Miranda, for his part, is simply too old and too rich to bother with the day-to-day business of running the gang. All of which would leave the leadership – by default – to Eboli, a tough ex-slugger for the Mob whose judgement is open to question.’

- ‘His authority enhanced by Genovese’s prolonged imprisonment, Eboli himself spread the word that he really doesn’t care for the top spot. Greed may very well overcome his reservations. At any rate, during the leadership hiatus, Eboli did assume the chore of directing the gang. He had to take over, Eboli claimed, to prevent other mobs, specifically the Gambinos, from pushing Genovese gangsters out of Manhattan night clubs and the garbage-collection business in the Bronx and in Westchester County.
‘There was bickering between Catena and Eboli. Eboli contended that Catena was “trying to act square.” Instead of striving for acceptance in legitimate society, Eboli grumped, Jerry should act like what he was – a mobster – and pitch into the struggle against the Gambinos.’

- ‘The only dark horse is Philip (Benny Squint) Lombardo, the gang’s No. 1 man in East Harlem. Authorities feel Lombardo just might become Boss if the elevation of Eboli is blocked.’

Organised Crime: 25 Years After Valachi (Vincent Cafaro testimony)
<https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitiz ... 3NCJRS.pdf >

- ‘The boss of the Genovese family is Vincent Gigante, also known as "Chin". Bobby Manna is the consigliere. Until his death in April 1987, Sammy Santora was the underboss of our brugad. Beginning in the early 1980s, Fat Tony Salerno was generally recognized on the streets as the boss of the Genovese family. In fact, for years Fat Tony reported back to Phillip Lombardo, also known as Ben or Benny Squint. In the 1960s, when Vito Genovese went to jail, he had turned over control of our brugad to Lombardo. Lombardo wanted to stay in the background and keep the heat off himself. So, over the years, Tommy Ryan, then Eli Zeccardi, then Funzi Tieri, and finally Fat Tony, fronted as the bosses of the family while Lombardo controlled things from the background. In 1981, Fat Tony had a stroke and was "pulled down" by Lombardo, Vincent "Chin" Gigante, Manna, and Santora. Lombardo was also in poor health and retired.’ (223)

- ‘Gigante became the boss behind the scenes with Santora as the underboss, and Manna as the consigliere. Gigante also allowed Fat Tony to continue to front as the boss, letting the other families believe, as recently as 1984, that Fat Tony still controlled our brugad. Fat Tony continued to represent the family by sitting on the commission and in meeting representatives of the other families. In fact, Fat Tony conferred with Chin on any major matters affecting the family. Chin attended one commission meeting but preferred that Fat Tony go to these meetings. I remember the day I became a member of the Genovese family. Tony Salerno had told me and Patty Jerome to meet him and Buckaloo one morning. When we arrived, Buckaloo took me to the El Cortile Restaurant on Mulberry Street, where we met with Funzi Tieri, the brugad's underboss, and Fat Tony, who at that time was the consigliere. I knew what I was there for when I saw a gun, a knife, a pin, alcohol and tissue laying out on the table. Funzi asked me if I wanted to become a member of the family. He said I could accept or not accept, and there would be no hard feelings. But he also said, "Once you accept you belong to us. We come first. Your family and home come second. We come first, no matter what." And I accepted. Funzi then showed me the gun and the knife and says, "This is the gun and the knife, you live with the gun and die by the knife." He told me that Fat Tony had sponsored me and gave me a piece of paper to let burn in my hand while I took the oath. "If I betray the Cosa Nostra, I shall burn like this paper". He then pricked my trigger finger with the pin and told me, "Now you are amico nostra, you have been born over again. Now you are a man; you belong to us." From that point on, I was amico nostra, a soldier in the Genovese family, the most powerful mob family or "brugad" in New York City, and, for that matter, in the United States.’ (224)

- ‘Our brugad controlled a number of different unions, some of which I personally dealt with, some of which I knew about from other amico nostras. In some cases, we got money from our dealings with the unions, in some cases we got favours such as jobs for friends and relatives, but more importantly, in all cases we got power over every businessman in New York. With the unions behind us, we could make or break the construction industry, the garment business, the docks, to name but a few. For example, Bobby Rao was a union official with a local of Hotel Workers and Bartenders Union, Hotel, Restaurant Employees, AFL-CIO Production, Service and Sales District Council. Bobby and his union belonged to our brugad. Every month, Bobby would bring over anywhere from a $1,000 to $2,000 for me to give to Fat Tony, which I would split with Fat Tony. At Christmas, Bobby would bring over $25,000 for me to give to Fat Tony. Fat Tony would tell me how to split the money up: half, or $12,500 to Ben Lombardo who, at the time, was the boss of our family behind Tony; another $6,500 to Tony Provenzano, or Tony "Pro," a family member who controlled Teamsters Local 560; and the remainder to be split between Fat Tony and myself.’ (225-226)

- ‘In April 1980, “Tony Bananas” visited Tony Salerno, at the Palma Boys Social Club. After this visit, Tony told me that he had advised "Tony Bananas” to go see "The Chin”, because he did not want to get involved in Philadelphia's problems. Fat Tony thought that the matter was a Philadelphia problem, and passed the problem off to “The Chin”. At the time, the acting boss was (underboss) Funzi Tieri, with Lombardo, the real power behind the scene, and Manna, the consigliere. A short time later “Tony Bananas” and another guy were found murdered in the Bronx. In mid-April 1980, Salerno told me, “It's is a good thing that I did not get involved with this Tony Bananas thing and I sent him to see the Chin. He had an appointment with the Chin, Baldy Dom Canterino picked him up and the other guy, at the Diamond Exchange on 47th Street or 48th Street, and they banged him out.”’ (235-236)

Garden State Gangland: The Rise of the Mob in New Jersey (Scott M Deitche)

- ‘When Vito Genovese died in 1969, Eboli became part of a family ruling panel that also included Mike Miranda and Jerry Catena. Though described by fellow underworld denizens as a hothead, Eboli kept a low profile during his time at the top.’ (123)

- ‘To some on the street, the reason for Eboli’s death had been pretty simple: he wasn’t well liked. Some sources said that his murder had been orchestrated by Jerry Catena and Phil Lombardo after Eboli had disrespected Catena. Lombardo at the time was just a soldier, but a well-connected one who was close to the powerful Catena.’ (124)

- ‘Funzi Tieri, a Naples-born mobster of slight stature, was sixty-eight at the time of Eboli’s death and mentioned as a likely successor to the throne. According to some sources, Tieri was approached by Carlo Gambino, Philip “Benny Squint” Lombardo, and Catena to take the top spot. He initially didn’t want it but eventually agreed. Part of his reluctance was based in the common perception that Carlo Gambino wanted to have some influence over the Genovese family and, with the appointment of Tieri, would be able to do just that. Tieri, however, was adamant that he was going to rule the family without interference. Tieri also wanted his friend Frankie Casina to take over as capo of his crew. Fat Tony Salerno was appointed consigliere.
‘However, the generally accepted hierarchy of the Genovese family has Benny Squint Lombardo taking the top spot post-Eboli. He remained in the leadership role throughout the 1970s until 1982 when Fat Tony Salerno took over. Part of the confusion with developing an accurate hierarchy of the family has to do with how the Genovese family was set up and how they often used front bosses and acting bosses in the place of the real power. The Lombardo/ Tieri boss situation is a perfect example of the type of obfuscation that allowed the Genovese family to shield the bosses from law enforcement for so many years.’ (126)

The Mafia Encyclopaedia (Carl Sifakis)

- ‘When Pasquale “Paddy Mac” Maccriole, a mob loan shark, turned up as a corpse in the trunk of his own car in 1978, it was a foregone conclusion that Tieri had ordered the slaying. Then there was the disappearance of Eli Zeccardi, Tieri’s reputed underboss. There was a story that an Irish gang had kidnapped him and demanded a $200,000 ransom, which was not paid. After that Tieri claimed that the four or five Irishmen involved in the plot had been hit. But word on the grapevine was that Tieri had invented the kidnap tale and had Zeccardi executed for certain infractions. The Irish tale was thus just a cunning cover story; Tieri was always known for the treachery that his position required.’ (444)

A Guide to Gangsters, Murderers and Weirdos of New York City’s Lower East Side (Eric Ferrara)

- ‘In the 1970s, Café Roma was run by reputed Genovese crime family underboss Carmine “Little Eli” Zeccardi. According to informant testimony, Zeccardi was actually acting boss of the family from 1972 to 1974 but was passed over for Frank Tieri when it came time to elect an official leader. From then on, the informant testified, Zeccardi felt betrayed and his relationship with the family deteriorated. New boss Tieri allegedly felt that Zeccardi was a threat to his throne and possibly believed a coup attempt was imminent. In 1977, Zeccardi disappeared in what is still an unsolved mystery.’

Five Families: The Rise, Decline and Resurgence of America’s Most Powerful Mafia Empires (Selwyn Raab)

- ‘When Vito Genovese departed for prison in 1959, he retained his title as boss, eventually leaving day-to-day control in the hands of Philip Lombardo, a New Jersey capo. Extremely myopic and forced to wear glasses with lenses almost as thick as a windshield, Lombardo bore the unflattering nickname of “Benny Squint”. Don Vito never completed his prison sentence, dying of a heart attack in 1969. During the next decade, federal and local investigators, hampered by a lack of reliable informers, were never certain as to the exact makeup of the Genovese hierarchy. Mob families, naturally, never issue press releases about their internal chains of command, and investigators credited the Genoveses with being the most secretive branch of the American Mafia. There was clearly a power struggle in the early 1970s, and Tommy Ryan Eboli, Gigante’s old boxing manager, was the prime loser; he was gunned down in Brooklyn in 1972 (Father Louis Gigante also knew Eboli and officiated at his funeral mass.) The boss’s baton was officially seized by Lombardo, who was a role model for Gigante’s later behaviour. Vincent Fish Cafaro, a high-placed Genovese soldier, provided a portrait of Lombardo as an extremely self-protective man who “wanted to stay in the background and keep the heat off himself.” Lombardo delegated a great deal of authority to a succession of underbosses, according to Cafaro, even allowing others to “front” for him and attend Commission meetings as the Genovese family’s representante.’ (536-537)

- ‘Throughout the 1970s, Gigante was a shining light in the borgata and increasingly responsible for coordinating Mob rackets with other families. To ensure that the Genovese-controlled carpenters’ union would not hinder a Gambino construction project, Sammy the Bull Gravano paid a visit to Gigante in 1976. It was Sammy’s first meeting with Chin, and a Gambino member introduced him as a capo. “Chin corrected him and said he was no longer a capo,” Gravano remembered. “He was the consigliere.” (538)
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

FBI Reports:

FBI Reports on Frank Tieri
<http://bitterqueen.typepad.com/friends_ ... n-bar.html>

9th June 1972 Report:

- ‘On April 14, 1972, [redacted] advised that FRANK TIERI has obtained a very high rank in Brooklyn and is heading a “family” with the blessing of CARLO GAMBINO.’

28th August 1972 Report:

- ‘Frank Tieri, also known as Funzi, is the acting head of the Genovese “Family” of the La Cosa Nostra in New York City, U.S.A.’

11th September 1972 Report:

- ‘On 7/18/72, [redacted] advised TIERI recently had a big argument with THOMAS EBOLI. On 7/19/72, [redacted] advised TIERI met with THOMAS EBOLI on 7/15/72, the evening EBOLI was killed.’

- ‘On July 18, 1972, [redacted] advised that he had heard that FRANK TIERI had recently had a big argument with THOMAS EBOLI. The argument concerned EBOLI’s attempt to get a piece of TIERI’s action in the northern part of New Jersey. TIERI refused EBOLI stating that he is partners with [redacted] in that area and there was no room for EBOLI.’

31st July 1972 Report:

- ‘TIERI was again informed that the FBI carries him as the Acting Head of the GENOVESE family of La Cosa Nostra (LCN) and he will be the subject of many inquiries by the FBI.’

19th December 1972 Report:

- ‘On September 26, 1972, [redacted] advised that FRANK TIERI is now the head of the GENOVESE “Family” of LCN since the murder of THOMAS EBOLI.’

26th January 1973 Report:

- ‘RE: FRANK TIERI. Above subject is the alleged acting head of the Vito Genovese family of the La Cosa Nostra in New York City.’

16th March 1973 Report:

- ‘On December 11, 1972, [redacted] advised that FRANK TIERI flew to Miami recently to see [redacted] and talk things over with him. He stated that [redacted] is the other citizen of the Genovese “family” and is very well respected, and many of the leaders of the GENOVESE “family” fly down to Florida from time to time to talk things over with [redacted].’

13th July 1973 Report:

- ‘FRANK TIERI has been made the boss of the GENOVESE family of LCN.’

- ‘FUNZI is now the number two man under CARLO GAMBINO in New York City. FUNZI enjoys a much higher status than EBOLI had as head of the GENOVESE family. He is the number two man of the entire west side including Greenwich Village.’

25th October 1973 Report:

- ‘On September 24th, 1973, [redacted] advised FUNZI TIERI claimed that MIKE was consulted in everything of major importance in the Family up until he died. The word is that PETE DE FEO will definitely not be made Consiglieri as PETE has a reputation of being “too hungry”. Likewise, when the name [redacted] was mentioned at the funeral it was as if you said a dirty word and nobody gave him any respect. He did not show up.’

4th February 1974 Report:

- ‘On October 24, 1973, [redacted] advised he heard FUNZI TIERI has now been made boss of the old GENOVESE Family. He stated, up until the time MIKE MIRANDA died, FUNZI was only acting boss, however, now he is the full-fledged boss.’

- ‘[Redacted] heard that “FUNZI” was recently indicted and that the La Cosa Nostra (LCN) “family” of which he is a member has no leadership at the present time. “FUNZI” is one of two or three hoodlums under consideration to take over the leadership of his LCN “family”.’

8th April 1974 Report:

- ‘On 3/28/74, [redacted] advised that TIERI is very ill. TIERI has had two operations and has lost so much weight he is unrecognisable. TIERI is not expected to live at this time.
‘For information of Bureau, if TIERI dies, a successor has not been designated. [Redacted] and consiglieri, JOHN ARDITO, Bufile 92-4242, were elevated to their positions after TIERI was made “family” boss. Their status upon TIERI’s death is unknown.
‘As a matter of conjecture, TIERI’s death would elevate [redacted] to the position of GENOVESE “family” boss.’

[Date of report redacted]:

- ‘On February 20, 1974, [redacted] advised that FUNZI TIERI had TOMMY RYAN hit and in turn took over everything.’

- ‘On March 10, 1974, [redacted] advised that an individual known as [redacted] has been acting on behalf of FUNZI TIERI as Boss of the GENOVESE LCN Family during the latter’s illness. According to [redacted] may be in line for TIERI’s position should TIERI die.
‘On April 11, 1974, [redacted] advised that FRANK TIERI is presently in hospital and [redacted] is one of three people who are presently running the “family” while TIERI is in hospital.’

2nd January 1975 Report:

- ‘He stated that since FUNZY has been ill, [redacted], PETE DE FEO and a third individual had been running the family. When PETE DE FEO is not around, [redacted] takes PETE’s place.’

- ‘On August 14, 1974, [redacted] advised that he heard recently, FUNZI was never made the permanent boss of the GENOVESE family, but was the temporary boss. He is now quite ill, and he does not believe he will ever be as strong in LCN affairs as before. He said now quite a few of the members who previously reported to FUNZI are now reporting to [redacted]. He stated [redacted] used to be very big in “junk” but has not been involved in that for years.
‘On September 9, 1974, [redacted] advised that FUNZI TIERI has a trial in New Jersey, coming up this week, but as he is in bad health, will probably back out of it. He stated that more and more within the family, [redacted] is taking over responsibility and making decisions.’

- ‘FUNZI has lost a lot of weight and is still being driven by JOHNNY MUMBLES. Source stated apparently FUNZI is still boss of the GENOVESE family, but that [redacted] is running things for him while he is unavailable.’

18th July 1975 Report:

- ‘Source stated that [redacted] recently told him that TIERI indicated to him that he is stepping down as head of the “family” and that either [redacted] would take over for him.’

- ‘On 12/19/74, [redacted] advised SA [redacted] that he heard [redacted] had been down to the Diamond Exchange on the brewery the other day, and when he walked in, FUNZIE TIERI was there. They greeted each other, shook hands and talked a little while. He stated that this is the first time [redacted]. It would appear that just as FUNZIE has replaced [redacted] of the old GENOVESE family, that there is no bad blood between them as they did greet each other and did not avoid each other.’

- ‘On 1/15/75, [redacted] advised SA [redacted] that FUNZI TIERI, who is very sick, is stepping down as Boss of the GENOVESE LCN family, due to his health; and [redacted].’

21st May 1976 Report:

- ‘On 10/8/75, [redacted] advised SA [redacted] that he knows FRANK “FUNZI-WALLA” TIERI. He said that despite TIERI’s ill health, he continues to “call the shots” in the GENOVESE family and he is still the “boss”.’

14th January 1977 Report:

- ‘Frank Tieri, after having undergone abdominal surgery during the summer of 1976, has apparently fully recovered from surgery. According to investigative sources in New York, Tieri continues to act as the head of a large organised crime family in the New York area.’

24th November 1980 Report:

- ‘On 11/21/80, Frank “Funzi” Tieri, aged 76, was found guilty by a jury in the Southern District of New York (Manhattan). He was declared guilty of two counts of Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organisations (RICO) and conspiracy regarding a bankruptcy fraud of the Westchester Premier Theatre (WPT).
‘Tieri is boss of the Genovese LCN “family” in New York City. The “family” is one of the largest in terms of membership and by far the wealthiest LCN “family” in the United States. Tieri is a member of the LCN “Commission.”’
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Regarding some of the redacted names mentioned in the FBI files:

'[Redacted] and consiglieri, JOHN ARDITO, Bufile 92-4242, were elevated to their positions after TIERI was made “family” boss. Their status upon TIERI’s death is unknown.'

The redacted name mentioned above is probably Carmine Zeccardi. The character count for the redacted space is enough to perfectly fit 'UNDERBOSS CARMINE ZECCARDI' and a bureau file number.

'He stated that since FUNZY has been ill, [redacted], PETE DE FEO and a third individual had been running the family.'

If the first redacted is Carmine Zeccardi then the three individuals running the family are probably DeFeo, Zeccardi and Ardito
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Also from our own Hairy Knuckles' brilliant research are some very interesting slices from FBI files:

‘NY T-1 advised on September 7, 1972, that PHIL LOMBARDO remains as the present boss of the GENOVESE family, La Cosa Nostra (LCN) in New York City. LOMBARDO, according to NY T-1, continues to have respect from other family bosses and is known to keep peace between the different groups.’

‘On 10/26/72, informant advised BENNY SQUINT is a captain in the GENOVESE family of LCN and [redacted] is a button under BENNY. [Redacted] is known to be a big shylock who uses an individual known as [redacted] (phonetic) to handle the shylocking business for him. [Redacted] is not a member of LCN.’

‘On November 17, 1980, [redacted] provided the following information to SA [redacted]: Source advised that FRANK TIERI, the former boss of the GENOVESE Family, is now retired. In the place of a boss three individuals, ANTHONY “FAT TONY” SALERNO, VINCENT “THE CHIN” GIGANTE, and PHILLIP “BENNY SQUINT” LOMBARDO, have formed a triumvirate of bosses who run the family. The source advised that at this time there is no consiglieri or underboss, and the capos in the family report direct to one of these three above named individuals.’

‘On April 8, 1981, [redacted] provided the following information to SA [redacted]: Source advised that BENNY SQUINT LOMBARDO is the new boss of the GENOVESE Family succeeding FUNZI TIERI. Source stated that FAT TONY SALERNO is the underboss with VINCENT “CHIN” GIGANTE being the consiglieri.’
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

That part in Five Families about Chin being consigliere in 1976 is apparently something Raab got wrong.

On May 25, 1976 he returned to the Hospital for ten days. In that year Salvatore Gravano, a Member of the Gambino Family, had a problem with Vincent DiNapoli, a Member of the Genovese Family, involving the construction business. Gravano arranged to meet with Gigante, then a Genovese Captain, at Gigante's club, The Triangle Social Club, where signs on the wall read "The enemy is listening" and "Tough guys don't squeal." At the meeting Toto Auriello, Gravano's Captain, introduced a man named Dom as a Captain in the Genovese Family. Gigante immediately corrected him, saying that Dom had become the Consigliere. As a result of the meeting Gigante agreed to communicate with DiNapoli and straighten out the problem. He then did so.

http://ny.findacase.com/research/wfrmDo ... ENY.htm/qx
All roads lead to New York.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:07 am Regarding some of the redacted names mentioned in the FBI files:

'[Redacted] and consiglieri, JOHN ARDITO, Bufile 92-4242, were elevated to their positions after TIERI was made “family” boss. Their status upon TIERI’s death is unknown.'

The redacted name mentioned above is probably Carmine Zeccardi. The character count for the redacted space is enough to perfectly fit 'UNDERBOSS CARMINE ZECCARDI' and a bureau file number.

'He stated that since FUNZY has been ill, [redacted], PETE DE FEO and a third individual had been running the family.'

If the first redacted is Carmine Zeccardi then the three individuals running the family are probably DeFeo, Zeccardi and Ardito
Yes, Zeccardi was elevated to underboss (probably straight from soldier) in 1973 and Ardito to consiglere around the same time. In 1975, the ruling panel consisted of Zeccardi, Ardito and Dominick Alongi. (Alongi probably the one who replaced DeFeo.) I posted these snippets some time ago but will do it again now when Chin started this interesting thread:

The first snippet from FBI report dated Dec 1975. The second from FBI report dated Jan 1977. (The Fbi have anual reports on the leaderships and the members of the Mafia, updated for every year.)
1975.png
1975.png
According to FBI report dated Feb 1978, the underboss of the Genovese Family was Vincent Gigante, and the consigliere was Tony Salerno. This comes from JD who never mentioned who the individual is who is listed as boss in that report. This means that Gigante replaced Zeccardi, who was murdered in 1977, as underboss and that Salerno replaced Ardito (probably demoted) as consigliere.

1975.png
1975.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There you have it, never printed before.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Thanks for all the discussion and additions. I'm incredibly fascinated by Genovese history and the seventies especially.

‘On December 11, 1972, [redacted] advised that FRANK TIERI flew to Miami recently to see [redacted] and talk things over with him. He stated that [redacted] is the other citizen of the Genovese “family” and is very well respected, and many of the leaders of the GENOVESE “family” fly down to Florida from time to time to talk things over with [redacted].’

I'm assuming that the 'citizen' in the above quote is Ben Lombardo. If I'm remembering correctly he had bought a house in Hollywood, Florida during the late sixties and would spend winters there. When I saw that Tieri was flying down to Miami to meet someone I immediately assumed it would be Catena but then remembered that he was still incarcerated at the time.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:27 am Thanks for all the discussion and additions. I'm incredibly fascinated by Genovese history and the seventies especially.

‘On December 11, 1972, [redacted] advised that FRANK TIERI flew to Miami recently to see [redacted] and talk things over with him. He stated that [redacted] is the other citizen of the Genovese “family” and is very well respected, and many of the leaders of the GENOVESE “family” fly down to Florida from time to time to talk things over with [redacted].’

I'm assuming that the 'citizen' in the above quote is Ben Lombardo. If I'm remembering correctly he had bought a house in Hollywood, Florida during the late sixties and would spend winters there. When I saw that Tieri was flying down to Miami to meet someone I immediately assumed it would be Catena but then remembered that he was still incarcerated at the time.
If you are able to count the number of letters in the redacted name and it fits with Ben Lombardo or Benny Lombardo, it's probably him. I've seen a reference to a statement made by a CI dated around this time saying Tieri and Lombardo are the two top guys. And you're right, Lombardo lived part time down in Florida since the early 1960s if I'm not misremembering. Around 1973/1974 however, Tieri is recognized as the official boss, with Zeccardi as underboss and Ardito as consigliere. Philip Lombardo is listed as a captain.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

I can't remember where I read it so I can't vouch to its validity but I recall reading something that said in either '69 or early '70 there was a gathering of Genovese guys on an island where Catena was named the new boss. Going off of the information we've found it'd seem that when he got indicted in March 1970, one of two scenarios unfolded:
1. Tommy Ryan became acting boss and Ben Lombardo acting underboss
2. A panel was set up consisting of Eboli, Lombardo and Miranda

After Eboli was murdered it seems most likely to me based on the information we have that there was a panel of three in place consisting of Lombardo, Tieri and the semiretired Miranda (which would explain Benny and Funzi both being ID'd as bosses or acting bosses at the same time, and it fits with the claim that everything was run past Mike before he died). Catena either abdicated as boss upon his indictment in 1970 (in that case control of the family would have gone to Eboli without him being officially confirmed as boss - though I'm conflicted about this because if, as the files suggest, Eboli got whacked for being disrespectful to Catena it would indicate that Jerry was still his superior) or sometime during or immediately after his incarceration. If it was during then that would explain Tieri being promoted to boss after Miranda died. If it was after Catena was released in '75, that would explain the other claim in the reports that Funzi was only a temporary boss (who then got made official boss after Jerry moved down to Florida). Zeccardi and Ardito got the no. 2 and 3 spots in '73 when Tieri got bumped up to boss (either official or temporary). Lombardo retains influence as a capo and former acting underboss/ acting boss/ panel member until his stroke in '75. During Tieri's health problems from '74 to '77 the Zeccardi, Ardito and DeFeo/ Alongi panel runs the street.
Either Salerno or Gigante (I'd go with Salerno as more lilely considering the general agreement across sources) becomes underboss after Zeccardi's disappearance in '77. Alongi probably replaces Ardito as consigliere. Though the claim that Alongi was consigliere in '76 is quite interesting. Either Gravano got his dates wrong or Ardito got demoted earlier than the feds thought (and quietly, it seems, since Aurello did not seem to know that Alongi was the new consigliere - keeping in line with the Genoveses ability to keep information amongst themselves). Alongi then retires around 1980 or 1981.
With Tieri's legal problems in late 1980, the panel of Salerno, Lombardo (recovered from his stroke) and Gigante assume day-to-day operations of the family. Salerno has his stroke, Tieri dies and Lomardo becomes the new boss. He keeps Salerno and Gigante on as underboss and consigliere, respectively. He lasts for a few months until retiring for health reasons, leaving Gigante as boss and Salerno as the underboss/ acting boss. Chin bumps Bobby Manna up to consigliere.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Could be:

Jerry Catena (Boss) 1969/70-1973/5
Tommy Ryan (Acting Boss) 1970-1972/ Eboli, Lombardo, Miranda (Panel) 1970-1972
Lombardo, Tieri, Miranda (Panel) 1972-1973
Frank Tieri (Boss) 1973/5-1981
Zeccardi, Ardito, DeFeo/ Alongi (Panel) 1974-1977
Salerno, Lombardo, Gigante (Panel) 1980-1981
Lombardo (Boss) 1981
Gigante (Boss) 1981-2005

Tommy Ryan (Underboss) 1969/70-1972
Ben Lombardo (Acting Underboss) 1970-1972/3 (?)
Eli Zeccardi (Underboss) 1973-1977
Tony Salerno/ Chin Gigante (Underboss) 1977-1980(?)
Tony Salerno (Underboss) 1981-1986/7
Sammy Santora (Underboss) 1986/7

Mike Miranda (Consigliere) 1957-1973
John Ardito (Consigliere) 1973-1976/7
Dom Alongi (Consigliere) 1976/7-1980
Chin Gigante (Consigliere) 1981
Bobby Manna (Consigliere) 1981-1989
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

The only thing I can think of as working against the Catena as boss until 75 is the report that he had resigned from any leadership position by 73. Answer to that could be Tieri gets made temporary boss after Catena's abdication/ Miranda's death and gets made permanent boss a couple of years later (maybe even as late as 77 when he has recovered from his operations)
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

God I wish Pizza Boy was still around :mrgreen:

Do we know the history of Saverio Santora and where he historically fits into the administration?

Great thread by the way (are we learning JCB?).
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 am God I wish Pizza Boy was still around :mrgreen:

Do we know the history of Saverio Santora and where he historically fits into the administration?

Great thread by the way (are we learning JCB?).
If I'm not correct let me know, but I I believe Santora became official underboss in 86 or 87. Replacing Tony Salerno as official underboss after Salerno goes to prison. Before that I believe Santora become captain of Salerno's old crew. Not sure if he succeeded him directly. Santora was Barney Bellomo's captain.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

I can't remember where I read it so I can't vouch to its validity but I recall reading something that said in either '69 or early '70 there was a gathering of Genovese guys on an island where Catena was named the new boss.
Yeah, that was reported in a newspaper article. I read it but can´t remember the details. I think it said that Catena was the heir to Vito Genovese´s throne but that the mobsters weer not successful in naming the new boss. The article went on saying that Catena was extremely reluctant to take the reigns. Sometime after this gathering, (this was not mentioned in the article) Catena did take the job though. My understanding is that Catena named Tommy Ryan his underboss and after his incarceration, Ryan was the acting boss. For a short time, in the summer, or late summer 1970, Funzi Tieri was the acting boss. If you have downloaded Tieri´s file, you will find this passage in part 1, page 230: "Tieri is now the acting head while Catena is in prison." This was due to Tommy Ryan collapsing and put in intensive care unit at a New York Medical center. He had been under constant pressure from LE and had been subpoenad to answer questions in front of a grand jury at least a year before his collapse. He had a heart ailment.
Going off of the information we've found it'd seem that when he got indicted in March 1970, one of two scenarios unfolded:
1. Tommy Ryan became acting boss and Ben Lombardo acting underboss
2. A panel was set up consisting of Eboli, Lombardo and Miranda
Scenario 1 most likely, although Lombardo not higher up than a captain at that point.

I think to get a clearer view, we need to concentrate on the anual FBI reposrts.

Oct 1972: Catena boss (it actually says acting boss in the report but most likely the official boss since these reports don´t list him has acting boss the years after.); Funzi Tieri as acting underboss; and Mike Miranda consigliere. Philip Lombardo listed as captain.

Oct 1973: Tieri boss; Catena former boss (incarcerated); and Mike Miranda consigliere. Lombardo listed as captain.

April 1974: A special report made naming the Genovese top guys with all the captains and some of the soldiers and their crew affiliations. Most the names are redacted. But it says Tieri boss; Zeccardi underboss; no mention of a consigliere. Lombardo listed as captain.

And then there´s the Dec 1975 report I posted a snippet from in earlier post and the Jan 1977 report talking about the ruling panel.

Then comes JD´s info from 1978, listing Gigante as underboss and Salerno as consigliere.
Alongi probably replaces Ardito as consigliere. Though the claim that Alongi was consigliere in '76 is quite interesting. Either Gravano got his dates wrong or Ardito got demoted earlier than the feds thought (and quietly, it seems, since Aurello did not seem to know that Alongi was the new consigliere - keeping in line with the Genoveses ability to keep information amongst themselves). Alongi then retires around 1980 or 1981.
I have Dom Alongi´s file. There is no mention of him being consigliere in there. And when he died in 1980. the FBI listed him as a former captain, not as a former consigliere. I think Gravano misremembered or got stuff mixed up. Alongi was part of a ruling panel in 1976 and that´s how far up he went, according to available sources.
With Tieri's legal problems in late 1980, the panel of Salerno, Lombardo (recovered from his stroke) and Gigante assume day-to-day operations of the family. Salerno has his stroke, Tieri dies and Lomardo becomes the new boss. He keeps Salerno and Gigante on as underboss and consigliere, respectively. He lasts for a few months until retiring for health reasons, leaving Gigante as boss and Salerno as the underboss/ acting boss. Chin bumps Bobby Manna up to consigliere.
That seems to be the case yes.

One interesting thing to note is that Tieri, Zeccardi and Ardito (the top three guys in the 1970s) all came up originally under Mike Miranda, in his crew. So they seems to have been pretty tight. And when Tieri was made boss, he beefed up his own crew (at the time run by Tommy Lombardi) by merging it with Gyp DeCarlo´s NJ crew. That way he seccured a power base. Same practise was used by Gigante who at one point in the 1980s hag Benny Mangano as underboss and Bobby Manna as consigliere. Both Mangano and Manna had originally com up under him, in his crew. And furthermore, in the late 1980 or early 1990, he promoted several guys from his old crew to captains.