Sending up money

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Sending up money

Post by Wiseguy »

Eddie mush wrote:I always wonder what kind of money these guys really make especially in smaller cities . I ready the book about Ron previte written by George A and he made it seem like in philly even the bosses were not taking it in . He talked about $10K here $20k there which is. More than I make but also a far cry from wat the bosses during the 70-80"S made

I look at it like this if a soldier makes 4K a week that sounds good lets then say he send up 1500 leaves himsf with 2500. That's a nice living but not really life changing money. Assuming his wife Dosent work he would be upper middle class but certainly not wealthy
I've continually said that, if you look at the evidence, the mob seems to mirror the general public. Most mob guys seem to be more or less middle class. And on either end you have a minority that are wealthy or are brokesters.

Anyway, I agree that the situations and arrangements are going to vary too much to say there is any standard or rule set in stone.

That said, I always found this conversation between Salvatore Avellino and Richard DeLuca in the Jaguar interesting...

Avellino: "Before he was straightened out, he's telling me the union is his, you know? So, I'm saying, "What do you mean the union is yours?" He believes the fuckin' union is his. And what am I gonna say, union? Nothing is yours. Everything is the boss."

DeLuca: "Yeah."

Avellino: "Wait, and we, we only got the privilege of working it, or running it. Unless you got a legitimate thing, that you know, that it's yours, then they say, 'Well, that's yours'.' But anything that's got to do..."

DeLuca: "You operate at his pleasure."

Avellino: "You do what he wants. I mean, and even, even if, with a legitimate thing, you operate at his pleasure ninety percent of the time."
All roads lead to New York.
East Bronx
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by East Bronx »

^^^^^^^^ I get what you're saying, Ivy. But it's thirty years later, and Avellino is still richer than shit, basically retired, and I'm willing to bet that no one's gonna look to shake his family down when he cashes in his chips. That wiretapped conversation is the very definition of irony.

Like we said, nothing's set in stone. There are always gonna be scumbags who come out of the woodwork when they see dollar signs. Sometimes they'll succeed, sometimes they won't.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." ---- Rounders.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

One thing is a definite, any monies that's out working is theirs (whoever that may be) or up for grabs when that individual dies. Hell, even the borrower might get lucky.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Pogo The Clown wrote:I think it would also depend on the family and the particular Boss in question. Some Bosses might demand a taste of the business while others may not. After Castellano got whacked Gotti either outright took or demanded a piece of most of the legit businesses Paul had left to his sons because, according to Gravano, they had been gained due to his position in LCN.

I think it would also depend on the legit business. If a made guy owned, say, a totally legit construction company he could probably expect to have give something to the higher ups regardless if it is legit or not.

Pogo
Pretty sure big Paul's kid who owns the concrete Co kicks up. But doubt the other son who owns Bobby Rubinos rib joints in FL kicks up...but who really knows?
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Eddie mush wrote:I always wonder what kind of money these guys really make especially in smaller cities . I ready the book about Ron previte written by George A and he made it seem like in philly even the bosses were not taking it in . He talked about $10K here $20k there which is. More than I make but also a far cry from wat the bosses during the 70-80"S made

I look at it like this if a soldier makes 4K a week that sounds good lets then say he send up 1500 leaves himsf with 2500. That's a nice living but not really life changing money. Assuming his wife Dosent work he would be upper middle class but certainly not wealthy
Eddie most don't make life changing money. They make enough to ascend themselves to upper middle class at best...then they loose it all when arrested.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Even if every situation is different depending on who´s the boss/what the agreement is, I believe the basic norm is exactly how Jimmy Fratianno described it when he talked to the President´s Crime Commission about "kicking up":

"Q. Now, Mr. Fratianno, once you obtained the rank of capo and ultimately became the boss of the Los Angeles family, was there any way that you as the boss of the family were able to keep track of the income, the money made by your subordinates in the family?
A. Well, no, you don’t keep track. You just put people there that you can trust, members of the family or sometimes you use front men, but you don’t keep records. That was proven when they found that slip with Frank Costello.

Q. Now, as individual members of a particular family earned income, is there any requirement in any way that that member of the family pass a certain percentage of this money on up the ladder to the capo, for example, and ultimately to the boss?
A. Not necessarily, no. It all depends how you make the money or if it’s - what the amount is. You are more or less on your own. If you only make a few thousand dollars, they don’t bother you. If you make three-four hundred thousand, that is another story. You would have to go to the boss and he would take - you know, split it up the way he saw fit.

Q. When you were the boss of the family in Los Angeles, were you able or did you find it necessary to know the income of your family as a whole in order to run the family and control the family?
A. No, a lot of people in the family had their own legitimate businesses and what they made was their business. The only thing we were involved in was the illegal activities. In other words, shylocking, bookmaking, labor racketeering, extortion. We knew what was going on with that end of the situation."

/// The President´s Commission summarized it this way:

"The typical LCN crime family is not rigidly organized. Members, whether "soldiers" or "capos," can go into and manage their own legitimate businesses; and what they earn in this manner belongs to them and not to the mob. Moreover, at the death of such individuals, the business can be inherited by their children without the syndicate sharing in the estate. However, the syndicate does get its "take" in whatever illegitimate activities the individual is involved, as well as from some of his legitimate businesses if they have been financed by the crime family; and at his death the syndicate decides whether the operation passes on to a blood relative or to another crime family member. In many cases, moreover, the syndicate has provided the bankroll that allowed the member to set up his illegal operations."
There you have it, never printed before.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Pogo The Clown wrote:I think it would also depend on the family and the particular Boss in question. Some Bosses might demand a taste of the business while others may not. After Castellano got whacked Gotti either outright took or demanded a piece of most of the legit businesses Paul had left to his sons because, according to Gravano, they had been gained due to his position in LCN.

I think it would also depend on the legit business. If a made guy owned, say, a totally legit construction company he could probably expect to have give something to the higher ups regardless if it is legit or not.

Pogo
Right on gotti also was taxing Tommy gambinos legit income from the dress factory or whatever
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Mr. Madbull
Associate

Post by Mr. Madbull »

Was Gotti taxing Gambino or was Gambino just trying to get along to go along? Got a source?
brianwellbrock
Straightened out

Post by brianwellbrock »

Wasnt Gambino running the familys Garmet rackets? I would think since it was a family operation he would be kicking up.
Jbravo
Straightened out

Post by Jbravo »

I have known assoc. that was kicking up i believe 400 a month from his legit income a construction business and another 100 month for members comissary and 10% any income off rackets