Sending up money

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Eddie mush
Straightened out

Sending up money

Post by Eddie mush »

Does any1 know how this really works . Are soldiers Suppose to send up a certain % of what they make ?? Or do they just send up a envelope when they can . Are there any weekly minimums

And what about captains ?? I know in Donnie brasxo when sonny becomes a capo he is required to kick up a A set amount every month. Is that how it works ??

I was always under the impression soldiers send up half of all earrings but in this day and age when there is. NoIt as much money on the streets that seems like a huge obligation . Any information is appreciated. Thanks guys
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Sending up money

Post by Pogo The Clown »

It is different from family to family and Boss to Boss. Some Bosses are of course greedier than others. For example Gotti demanded less money than Castellano while Vic Amuso demanded more than Tony Duck Corrallo. Each Boss sets his own requirements on how often or how much his Capos have to kick up. The Capos in turn determine how often and how much his guy's have to kick up though I'm sure the Boss has a say in it as to avoid potential problems.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

I posted this before and don't believe I got a response so any info would be appreciated.

What about legitimate earnings? Do soldiers have to kick up a % of legitimate earnings? And is legitimate business considered the property of the family, IE When a member dies does the family claim his legit business or just the illegal rackets?

Cheers.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Eddie mush
Straightened out

Post by Eddie mush »

From everything I have read legit business is all yours . Some people may use legit income to increase what they kick up but I don't think they have to . If a guy wants to get on his bosses good side and make that envelope a little heavier maybe he sticks some legit money in there as well
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

That's what I thought but a couple of examples to the contrary jump to mind.

A) Al D'Arco's book. When Paul Vario died Amuso/Casso ordered all his possessions siezed. Houses, business etc with the rationale that everything was gained via the assistance of the family and hence was the families.

B) Sopranos. Yes I KNOW it's inly a TV show. Gene Ponticovo kicks up a % of his aunties inheritance.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
East Bronx
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by East Bronx »

SonnyBlackstein wrote:A) Al D'Arco's book. When Paul Vario died Amuso/Casso ordered all his possessions siezed. Houses, business etc with the rationale that everything was gained via the assistance of the family and hence was the families.
I found that part of the book to be absolutely ridiculous, Sonny. There have been captains who have left behind GENERATIONAL wealth. Their grandchildren are STILL millionaires, and not harassed by the street.

Now I'm talking about a different family, and a lot of D'Arco's claims DID have merit. But I've never heard of such a thing in my entire life. Case in point: Jimmy Napoli. Left millions on top of millions behind. His wife was much younger, but she held onto that money until she passed away herself a few years ago. Trust me on that.
Last edited by East Bronx on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." ---- Rounders.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I think it would also depend on the family and the particular Boss in question. Some Bosses might demand a taste of the business while others may not. After Castellano got whacked Gotti either outright took or demanded a piece of most of the legit businesses Paul had left to his sons because, according to Gravano, they had been gained due to his position in LCN.

I think it would also depend on the legit business. If a made guy owned, say, a totally legit construction company he could probably expect to have give something to the higher ups regardless if it is legit or not.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
East Bronx
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by East Bronx »

Pogo The Clown wrote:I think it would also depend on the family and the particular Boss in question. Some Bosses might demand a taste of the business while others may not. After Castellano got whacked Gotti either outright took or demanded a piece of most of the legit businesses Paul had left to his sons because, according to Gravano, they had been gained due to his position in LCN.

I think it would also depend on the legit business. If a made guy owned, say, a totally legit construction company he could probably expect to have give something to the higher ups regardless if it is legit or not.

Pogo
Fair answer. I think we can agree that nothing is set in stone, and that the greedier guys would be more prone to shaking down the relatives of a dead wiseguy. And a scumbag like Casso would certainly fit the bill.

But I still found D'Arco's claim to be a bit surprising, considering how respected Vario was, and that he also had sons involved in the life.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." ---- Rounders.
Five Felonies
Full Patched

Post by Five Felonies »

i'd imagine that in a city like chicago or detroit where it seems like a much larger % of guys have gone semi-legit with various operations that a cut of the proceeds is par for the course.
East Bronx
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by East Bronx »

Five Felonies wrote:i'd imagine that in a city like chicago or detroit where it seems like a much larger % of guys have gone semi-legit with various operations that a cut of the proceeds is par for the course.
Another fair point.
Eddie mush
Straightened out

Post by Eddie mush »

I am certain all situations mustvb different . I was just curious because in a day and age where monsters are not making the ridiculous amount of money like they use to i wud have to think its hard to ask them to kick up half there earnings .
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

I think the general feeling is that they grew their legit businesses because of mob influece. For instance, Carlo Gambino's sons got rich as did Paul Castellano's due to union pull and it's a known fact Gotti hounded them for a cut of those profits. Also, a Gangland column talked about Ronnie "Mozzorella" Carlucci kicking up a percentage of his profits because (as Vinnie Basciano put it) "we put him there". In fact, in 1998, he was moved from one crew to another because that crew "did not have enough earners."

http://www.ganglandnews.com/members/column463.htm
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Something to keep in mind is if a legit business is obtained by the help of borrowed money from the crime Family, loan and vig is always going to be sent up. If he doesn´t or can´t pay back the loan or If the guy dies before the loan is paid back I would guess the Family is entititled to the business (or part of it).

I agree with EB, D´Arco´s claim regarding the Vario situation seems extremely odd.
There you have it, never printed before.
Eddie mush
Straightened out

Post by Eddie mush »

I always wonder what kind of money these guys really make especially in smaller cities . I ready the book about Ron previte written by George A and he made it seem like in philly even the bosses were not taking it in . He talked about $10K here $20k there which is. More than I make but also a far cry from wat the bosses during the 70-80"S made

I look at it like this if a soldier makes 4K a week that sounds good lets then say he send up 1500 leaves himsf with 2500. That's a nice living but not really life changing money. Assuming his wife Dosent work he would be upper middle class but certainly not wealthy
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.