Son's of bosses

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Son's of bosses

Post by Pogo The Clown »

The Scarfos and Merlinos were really close and Joey and Nicky Jr grew up together. The families had a falling out after Scarfo demoted and shelved the Merlinos.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

Yea, that's pretty much what I remember seeing. I believe it.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote:Something strange is that no Philly bosses from 1920 - 1980 ever made their sons if they had them. And no other known administration members from that period except Phil Testa ended up making their sons, either. We don't know who, if anyone, was the consigliere before Oliveto, though.

I'm not sure if this was by design or what.
I'm sure there were consiglieri and sottocapi before the "recorded era." At least back to 1918 if not earlier. Before then, Montgomery County and South Jersey might have been separate networks connected by Christian Street before Sabella and I'm sure it operated in the same fashion. The hierarchy goes was first recorded in 1870's Sicily.

Also, wasn't Joe Stanfa made by his father? Regardless you are correct.

If we were to compare it to the DeCav's, Jersey like Philly has always been small time which was- at various points- dictated by New York. But the DeCavs, unlike Philly has had a very boring succession, for being the only oldest family they only have one boss that was murdered and that's because he was a gay, allegedly. Real Sopranos shit aside, the DeCavs all came from a similar background with the some oddballs, whereas with Philly, at least since the mid 1910's- was fused with people from Montgomery (Sciaccatani, Cast Del Golfo) and South Jersey (Belmonte Mezzagno) and then there's the mainland element which included Chester, South Philly, Newwark oddly and at some point Trenton. Philly has always been a "taped together" factioned family. The DeCavs are a different story. Now before we conclude that I'm suggesting diversity in a Family hurts it, I'll call into argument Chicago and the Genovese, two of America's least Sicilian but most recognized as powerhouses. Or even Pittsburgh where "the merge" between Sicilians and mainlanders was very boring and bland. As it relates to Phily it's just always been a highly factionalized family.
OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

Joe Stanfa was made by his dad.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

Chris Christie wrote:
B. wrote:Something strange is that no Philly bosses from 1920 - 1980 ever made their sons if they had them. And no other known administration members from that period except Phil Testa ended up making their sons, either. We don't know who, if anyone, was the consigliere before Oliveto, though.

I'm not sure if this was by design or what.
I'm sure there were consiglieri and sottocapi before the "recorded era." At least back to 1918 if not earlier. Before then, Montgomery County and South Jersey might have been separate networks connected by Christian Street before Sabella and I'm sure it operated in the same fashion. The hierarchy goes was first recorded in 1870's Sicily.

Also, wasn't Joe Stanfa made by his father? Regardless you are correct.

If we were to compare it to the DeCav's, Jersey like Philly has always been small time which was- at various points- dictated by New York. But the DeCavs, unlike Philly has had a very boring succession, for being the only oldest family they only have one boss that was murdered and that's because he was a gay, allegedly. Real Sopranos shit aside, the DeCavs all came from a similar background with the some oddballs, whereas with Philly, at least since the mid 1910's- was fused with people from Montgomery (Sciaccatani, Cast Del Golfo) and South Jersey (Belmonte Mezzagno) and then there's the mainland element which included Chester, South Philly, Newwark oddly and at some point Trenton. Philly has always been a "taped together" factioned family. The DeCavs are a different story. Now before we conclude that I'm suggesting diversity in a Family hurts it, I'll call into argument Chicago and the Genovese, two of America's least Sicilian but most recognized as powerhouses. Or even Pittsburgh where "the merge" between Sicilians and mainlanders was very boring and bland. As it relates to Phily it's just always been a highly factionalized family.
This diversification of the Philly family compared to the Decav's, would it be because the Philly family had a larger working area? I never thought of this, but for a smaller family that answers to NYC, they really have a large territory.

To B.'s post...I'm wondering on a whole if a boss of a family would less likely make their son(s) then say a soldier or capo? Like Chin Gigante...then there is Carlo Gambino, his kid(s) could have been just as successful not being made; however, with Carlo being one slick fucker, I wonder if he felt his son's would be less fucked with and more protected as made when he was gone (I forget if both were made, I'm thiking just the one). Castellano didn't make his son, right?
OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

Nope, Big Paul made sure his sons stayed in the legitimate world. And how many sons did Carlo Gambino have? And I can recall ever hearing that only Tommy was made, not any other sons, but it's possible. And Thomas never did anything violent, so he almost certainly, IMO, lived off the rep of his father early on. Later on he gained his own respect due to his business saavy, most likely.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

OlBlueEyesClub wrote:Nope, Big Paul made sure his sons stayed in the legitimate world. And how many sons did Carlo Gambino have? And I can recall ever hearing that only Tommy was made, not any other sons, but it's possible. And Thomas never did anything violent, so he almost certainly, IMO, lived off the rep of his father early on. Later on he gained his own respect due to his business saavy, most likely.
I don't know if you can say Paul's sons were in the legit world. True they were not gangster but they profited heavily from organized crime and their fathers involvement in it. You could call Andrew gigante legit as well but he made his living through his father
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Andrew Gigante was involved in the rackets.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Andrew Gigante was involved in the rackets.

Pogo
And used as the "messaggero"

He's seen in a lot of pics walking the old man. Makes you wonder if the Chin also used his brother the priest at times?
AG777
Full Patched

Post by AG777 »

rayray wrote:
Pogo The Clown wrote:Andrew Gigante was involved in the rackets.

Pogo
And used as the "messaggero"

He's seen in a lot of pics walking the old man. Makes you wonder if the Chin also used his brother the priest at times?
I always wondered how he keeps a straight face helping his Pops out in public. Imagine having to play that off with all those outsiders and reporters around. :lol:
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

It's very possible that Andrew Gigante is a made guy as is Gaspipe's son Anthony.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Turning this question another way who are the sons that surpassed their fathers in the mob?

Off the top of my head Joe Colombo, Joe Bonanno, Joey Merlino, Sam DeCavalcante, John Riggi and Peter Milano all rose higher in the mob than their dads. I'm sure there are many more.

Pogo
baldo
Straightened out

Post by baldo »

Santo Jr. didn't he surpass his dad?
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Don't castellano's sons kick up like 10 grand a month from one of their businesses?
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Turning this question another way who are the sons that surpassed their fathers in the mob?

Off the top of my head Joe Colombo, Joe Bonanno, Joey Merlino, Sam DeCavalcante, John Riggi and Peter Milano all rose higher in the mob than their dads. I'm sure there are many more.

Pogo
I argue Peter Milano never had anywhere near the power, status , respect and overall moxie as his father.
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo