Carlo Gambino´s rise

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: Carlo Gambino´s rise

Post by johnny_scootch »

Shellackhead wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 pm
Wow thanks bro. I thought they only had like max 10-30 members & all were soldiers with 1 Captain.
There are definitely plenty of smaller families like that that maybe don’t need captains, you have maybe 10-15 soldiers total who all report to the boss or underboss. Sicily has some larger families also like Sully pointed out with 40+, 50+ even 100+ members but structure is always the same with exception of a maybe a mid level rung because some don’t need it due to small size.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Sullycantwell wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:37 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:11 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:55 pm
Sullycantwell wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:16 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:17 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:14 pm
CornerBoy wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:28 am prior to the forming of the Five fams, did they have the hierarchical structure like admin then capos then soldiers?
Yes, the structure came from Sicily along with the mafiosi.
Do they use this structure in Sicily?
the boss, UB, consig, capo, soldier structure? if that's what you mean then yes they did. i think CC said they know they used the structure by the 1870's, but its suspected it went back much further.
Modern day do they use it I mean?
Absolutely, Cosa Nostra is Cosa Nostra whether you’re in Sicily or NY the singular family structure is identical. You’ll only start to see differences above the family structure because Sicily has so many families they’re broken up into Mandamenti which consist of 3 neighboring families each and they’ll have a Capomandamento who sits on a provincial commission.
Wow thanks bro. I thought they only had like max 10-30 members & all were soldiers with 1 Captain.
I am certainly no expert on the Sicilian mafia, but my understanding was that there are a lot of families with the 10-30. I even thought most families were like that, but you do have giant families like Palermo with hundreds of members. I'd be interested to see a chart or list of how many suspected members each family had.
This.. someone like Felice or the other guys that know a lot about Sicilian LCN should make a chart of known families
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

johnny_scootch wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:57 am
There are definitely plenty of smaller families like that that maybe don’t need captains, you have maybe 10-15 soldiers total who all report to the boss or underboss. Sicily has some larger families also like Sully pointed out with 40+, 50+ even 100+ members but structure is always the same with exception of a maybe a mid level rung because some don’t need it due to small size.
Didnt know this, I thought they were all small. Do you know how many active members in total as of 2023?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Active members is always hard to pin down and even more so when you’re asking about all of Sicily which has 90+ families. There are estimates out there that say 5000+ members total for the Sicilian Mafia, I’m not sure how accurate that is but it’s definitely in the ballpark.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

johnny_scootch wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:04 am Active members is always hard to pin down and even more so when you’re asking about all of Sicily which has 90+ families. There are estimates out there that say 5000+ members total for the Sicilian Mafia, I’m not sure how accurate that is but it’s definitely in the ballpark.
Do they also have like specific age ranges or you have guys that are made as young as 20 years old?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Shellackhead wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:23 pm Do they also have like specific age ranges or you have guys that are made as young as 20 years old?
There are no age requirements guys have been made as young as 16 and also well into their 60's.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

johnny_scootch wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:33 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:23 pm Do they also have like specific age ranges or you have guys that are made as young as 20 years old?
There are no age requirements guys have been made as young as 16 and also well into their 60's.
Do they still do “you must kill for us in order to get inducted” or they also took the American approach?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Shellackhead wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:27 pm Do they still do “you must kill for us in order to get inducted” or they also took the American approach?
I don’t believe it was an ironclad rule in either the Sicilian or American Cosa Nostra that you had to commit a murder to be inducted. Maybe certain families operated that way but in general it isn’t a requirement.