Carlo Gambino´s rise

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Carlo Gambino´s rise

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Peter Calabrese was demoted from the ruling panel for falling behind in his monthly payments. :lol:

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

that is a shake by fat boy, he had 10's millions take care of your guys in prison..then they wonder why guys flipped or try killing them and start wars.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:04 am I found something interesting regarding Carlo Gambino´s promotion to captain within the Mangano Family.

The handwriting is kinda sloppy, it says "Informant knows Carlo Gambino from [redacted]. Gambino took over from Joe Castalino in 1936 after his death".

I´m sure the Joe Castalino mentioned must be Joe Castellano, Paul´s father. 1936 reference seems to be an error from the informant´s part, since I think Paul´s father died in 1946.
Yep. Joseph Castellano did not die in 1936. And he was still alive in 1940. After moving from the Bronx to Brooklyn, sometime in the early 1930s, Carlo Gambino with wife (Katherine) and children (Thomas, Phyllis and Joseph) lived at 2230 Ocean Parkway. The house was owned by Joseph Castellano. Paul Castellano and wife Nina also lived in same house. So according to the informant above, Carlo Gambino rose to caporegime in the Mangano Family in 1946.
There you have it, never printed before.
dimaggio
Associate

Post by dimaggio »

well that went the long way round to get back to the first post. LOL
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:32 pm Sometime after becoming boss, Carlo Gambino created a "fund" by taxing Gambino members. The money was supposedly for Gambino members who found themselves in legal trouble. This fund was administered by captain Domenico Arcuri (father of Joey A.) who operated out of the Upper East Side area. But Gambino used the fund for his personal needs, probably for business investments. According to informant, any member who questioned Gambino´s honesty regarding this fund, could find himself in seriuos trouble. Vito Genovese had done something similar in 1958 when he was indicted for narcotics violation. He demanded his soldiers to pay for his legal fees. I just want to point that out to those who say that Joe Profaci was the cheapest boss in Mafia history.
Just to add my 2 cents, this so-called "practice" was used much before the forming of the strong Mafia syndicates in the US, when smaller Italian or non-Italian gangs ran the streets
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:21 am
bronx wrote:paolo had his own crew
Yes, I know that. But did Paolo succeed Carlo as a captain (taking over his crew) or was he given a seperate crew to run?
From what info I have, I believe Paolo Gambino broke off from Paul Castellano's crew around 1963-1964, and was given John Riccobono, Sal D'Acquisto, Sal Settimo, and a couple of others. I believe John Riccobono was the one who succeeded Paolo in 1974, definitely not Zingaro. This crew later became the Bilotti-DeCicco crew.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

prior to the forming of the Five fams, did they have the hierarchical structure like admin then capos then soldiers?
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

CornerBoy wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:28 am prior to the forming of the Five fams, did they have the hierarchical structure like admin then capos then soldiers?
Yes, the structure came from Sicily along with the mafiosi.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

how exactly did bonanno attempt to invade cali?

any links?

Thanks
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

johnny_scootch wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:14 pm
CornerBoy wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:28 am prior to the forming of the Five fams, did they have the hierarchical structure like admin then capos then soldiers?
Do they use this structure in Sicily?
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

Shellackhead wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:17 pm
the boss, UB, consig, capo, soldier structure? if that's what you mean then yes they did. i think CC said they know they used the structure by the 1870's, but its suspected it went back much further.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Sullycantwell wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:16 pm
the boss, UB, consig, capo, soldier structure? if that's what you mean then yes they did. i think CC said they know they used the structure by the 1870's, but its suspected it went back much further.
Modern day do they use it I mean?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Shellackhead wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:55 pm
Absolutely, Cosa Nostra is Cosa Nostra whether you’re in Sicily or NY the singular family structure is identical. You’ll only start to see differences above the family structure because Sicily has so many families they’re broken up into Mandamenti which consist of 3 neighboring families each and they’ll have a Capomandamento who sits on a provincial commission.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:11 pm
Absolutely, Cosa Nostra is Cosa Nostra whether you’re in Sicily or NY the singular family structure is identical. You’ll only start to see differences above the family structure because Sicily has so many families they’re broken up into Mandamenti which consist of 3 neighboring families each and they’ll have a Capomandamento who sits on a provincial commission.
Wow thanks bro. I thought they only had like max 10-30 members & all were soldiers with 1 Captain.
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

Shellackhead wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:11 pm
Wow thanks bro. I thought they only had like max 10-30 members & all were soldiers with 1 Captain.
I am certainly no expert on the Sicilian mafia, but my understanding was that there are a lot of families with the 10-30. I even thought most families were like that, but you do have giant families like Palermo with hundreds of members. I'd be interested to see a chart or list of how many suspected members each family had.