Leonardo Rizzuto Shot in Laval

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Leonardo Rizzuto Shot in Laval

Post by Wiseguy »

DoubleZ wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:26 pm
stubbs wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:53 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:24 am
AntComello wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:09 am And they label Violi an “ndrangheta boss” lol
That’s Canadian journalism for you, everyone has their own crime family and if you’re not Sicilian you’re an Ndrangheta boss.
I think something along those lines has also led to the idea (false, in my opinion) of there being 7, 9, etc. Ndrangheta clans in Toronto (and Thunder Bay). I think sometimes a guy will get labeled an Ndrangheta clan boss when he's not, as well as people from the same clans being listed separately. The idea of 9 clans is what seems to have led to the idea of 450 Ndrangheta members in the Greater Toronto Area, i.e. an Italian prosecutor took that number 9, multiplied it by the rule of having 49 or 51 members each, and came up up with ~ 450 members. Never mind this would be a greater concentration of organized crime members in the GTA than even in New York metropolitan area.
I believe it’s 7 locali in the Toronto metro area, and 2 more outside of the GTA in southern Ontario (Thunder Bay, London, etc), making 9 total.

And the estimates are 350 members in the GTA and another 100 or so outside.

But I can’t remember if those numbers came from LE, a journalist, or somewhere else.
What the hell are they doing in Thunder Bay :lol: ? Thats NW Ontario on Lake Superior. I can imagine that’s an incredibly tiny cell.

The London-Sarnia-Windsor area seems ripe for OC activity. 2 massive international border crossings, and the narrow St. Clair river that divides Michigan (near the thumb) and Ontario is less than 1km wide in areas.

As evidence, we’ve seen a large drug smuggling bust involving players out of this area late last year in “Project Gateway”.

Anyone know of affiliations with these groups?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9527&p=239947&hili ... or#p239947

DZ
There has been a lot of conflicting info from authorities.

7 clans for Toronto was mentioned by an Italian prosecutor in Project Crimine in 2010. But when you read the clan head names and there is some apparent overlap. For instance, Cosimo Figliomeni and Angelino Figliomeni are mentioned separately.

In 2013, an Italian prosecutor (Gratteri) said they had identified 9 localis just in Toronto. However, that same year the RCMP cited only 5 clans in Toronto, with "two factions" in Thunder Bay. As far as Thunder Bay goes, I agree with Nicaso who said while there may be some Ndrangheta members that live in Thunder Bay, there isn't an active clan.

If the 5 mentioned in 2013 were the same 5 Stephen Metelsky (former RCMP) listed in 2021, they would be DeMaria, Figliomeni, Coluccio, Commisso, and Tavernese. But I'm not sure this is correct either. Vincenzo Tavernese is with the Coluccios, if I'm not mistaken, and Vincenzo DeMaria may be with the Commissos. Also, none of these mention the Ursino clan.

Looking at the cases going back quite a ways, as well as the rather detailed maps the DIA released about 5 years ago, I can identify 4 clans from 2 locali in the GTA - all coming from the same area on the Ionian Coast of Calabria. From the Siderno Locale there is the Commisso 'Ndrina and the Figliomeni-Rumbo 'Ndrina. And from the Marina di Gioiosa Ionica Locale there is the Aquino-Coluccio 'Ndrina and the Ursino-Jerino-Scali 'Ndrina.

Incidentally, for Ndrangheta cases in New York, it's been primarily the Marina di Gioiosa Ionica groups there, i.e. Aquino-Coluccio (includes Vincenzo Roccisano and his nephews Vincenzo and Giulio Schirripa) in 2008 and the Ursinos in 2014. The exception would be the Alvaro Ndrina(from Sinopoli) in 2015, who Gregorio Gigliotti was an affiliate of.
All roads lead to New York.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:00 pm
DoubleZ wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:26 pm
stubbs wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:53 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:24 am
AntComello wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:09 am And they label Violi an “ndrangheta boss” lol
That’s Canadian journalism for you, everyone has their own crime family and if you’re not Sicilian you’re an Ndrangheta boss.
I think something along those lines has also led to the idea (false, in my opinion) of there being 7, 9, etc. Ndrangheta clans in Toronto (and Thunder Bay). I think sometimes a guy will get labeled an Ndrangheta clan boss when he's not, as well as people from the same clans being listed separately. The idea of 9 clans is what seems to have led to the idea of 450 Ndrangheta members in the Greater Toronto Area, i.e. an Italian prosecutor took that number 9, multiplied it by the rule of having 49 or 51 members each, and came up up with ~ 450 members. Never mind this would be a greater concentration of organized crime members in the GTA than even in New York metropolitan area.
I believe it’s 7 locali in the Toronto metro area, and 2 more outside of the GTA in southern Ontario (Thunder Bay, London, etc), making 9 total.

And the estimates are 350 members in the GTA and another 100 or so outside.

But I can’t remember if those numbers came from LE, a journalist, or somewhere else.
What the hell are they doing in Thunder Bay :lol: ? Thats NW Ontario on Lake Superior. I can imagine that’s an incredibly tiny cell.

The London-Sarnia-Windsor area seems ripe for OC activity. 2 massive international border crossings, and the narrow St. Clair river that divides Michigan (near the thumb) and Ontario is less than 1km wide in areas.

As evidence, we’ve seen a large drug smuggling bust involving players out of this area late last year in “Project Gateway”.

Anyone know of affiliations with these groups?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9527&p=239947&hili ... or#p239947

DZ
There has been a lot of conflicting info from authorities.

7 clans for Toronto was mentioned by an Italian prosecutor in Project Crimine in 2010. But when you read the clan head names and there is some apparent overlap. For instance, Cosimo Figliomeni and Angelino Figliomeni are mentioned separately.

In 2013, an Italian prosecutor (Gratteri) said they had identified 9 localis just in Toronto. However, that same year the RCMP cited only 5 clans in Toronto, with "two factions" in Thunder Bay. As far as Thunder Bay goes, I agree with Nicaso who said while there may be some Ndrangheta members that live in Thunder Bay, there isn't an active clan.

If the 5 mentioned in 2013 were the same 5 Stephen Metelsky (former RCMP) listed in 2021, they would be DeMaria, Figliomeni, Coluccio, Commisso, and Tavernese. But I'm not sure this is correct either. Vincenzo Tavernese is with the Coluccios, if I'm not mistaken, and Vincenzo DeMaria may be with the Commissos. Also, none of these mention the Ursino clan.

Looking at the cases going back quite a ways, as well as the rather detailed maps the DIA released about 5 years ago, I can identify 4 clans from 2 locali in the GTA - all coming from the same area on the Ionian Coast of Calabria. From the Siderno Locale there is the Commisso 'Ndrina and the Figliomeni-Rumbo 'Ndrina. And from the Marina di Gioiosa Ionica Locale there is the Aquino-Coluccio 'Ndrina and the Ursino-Jerino-Scali 'Ndrina.

Incidentally, for Ndrangheta cases in New York, it's been primarily the Marina di Gioiosa Ionica groups there, i.e. Aquino-Coluccio (includes Vincenzo Roccisano and his nephews Vincenzo and Giulio Schirripa) in 2008 and the Ursinos in 2014. The exception would be the Alvaro Ndrina(from Sinopoli) in 2015, who Gregorio Gigliotti was an affiliate of.
Marina Di Gioiosa ( Aquino/Coluccio) and the Ursinos might have been "expelled" from the Toronto Camera Di Controllo, which is now a Siderno Crimine.

This is why that Cugliari arrest, the emergence of tge Bonvonta clan in Toronto, and the recent NY thing are important. They keep us up to speed..

Andrew Machin has GREAT BREAKDOWNS of the Ndrangheta in Canada.
Patriotpride16t
Prospect

Post by Patriotpride16t »

But the difference is Nicky Scarfo killed members of his own “Family” for ridiculous reasons. His unfounded paranoia, and jealousy. He loved the life, but he also loved killing people or having them killed! He fucking killed, arguably the epitome of what a Mobster should be! Salvie Testa was 100% loyal to Scarfo. Salvie was also Scarfo’s godson. Scarfo was also “best friends” with Phil Testa, Salvie’s father! Treacherous motherfucker!
kyrieleis
On Record

Post by kyrieleis »

Nice little podcast with Antonio Nicaso (author of Bad Blood) discussing recent events and others.. not made by me but good listen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL1bnuZUGlk

- Kyrieleis
"We bakuto cannot walk in broad daylight. But if we unite and become a wall to stop communism, we can be of service to the nation. If anything happens, we would like to stake our lives for the good of the country."
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

OcSleeper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:40 pm

I don't see anyone making a move against the Rizzuto-Sollecito group alone (could be wrong). So I believe if the third theory is correct, whoever made the move is working with others, possibly with the backing of Mirarchi and/or Desjardins. And to add onto my own theory about Marco Pizzi, if he was the one who made the move, is it possible Davide Barberio and/or Francesco Del Balso are part of it as well? Pizzi is said to be very close with Barberio. Pizzi, Del Balso, and Barberio are also said to be close to the bikers, possible all 3 are close to eachother.

This is all very speculative. It's just one theory I've been contemplating trying to make sense of all this.
I've wondered who holds the street for the Rizzutos ever since Whooley got shot at. Barberio got shot at too..
These attacks were the prelude.....Whooley was photographed at the big Biker rally. Hes most likely back in the fold with them, as opposed to being the street muscle for the Italians. Is someone trying to seperate the Rizzutos from their street muscle? ( Succesfully..it seems) These guys are close to the Bikers, do you rule out the Bikers then?
Based on all the recent reports the Rizzuto-Sollecito group seem to be extremely vulnerable at the moment. With Leonardo's leadership being questioned and Stefano (the main power in their group) being in bad health, they might be their most vulnerable. A few months back I predicted if and when Sollecito passes a new power struggle will arise. In my eyes it's no coincidence we're hearing about how poor of health he's in and someone just targeted Leonardo Rizzuto.

In my opinion, one of the things that kept them going for so long was their unity in their core group. When Montagna and Desjardins hit them heavily in 2010 you didn't see anyone breaking away or turning on eachother. When Vito died in 2014 no one decided it was their turn to be king. When the Scoppa brothers hit them hard again in 2016 and Stefano and Leonardo were in jail no one jumped ship. But in 2011 Desjardins and Montagna turned on eachother and in 2019 the Scoppa faction imploded from the inside out.
Who do you have as the core group? It was Nick's lieutenants who turned on him. You mean family?

Also... In my Opinion....whoever holds the Book, pushed the button on Leo.... The next gambling indictment might be enlightening. Sauce is about to die, and their street muscle is under fire. All the big drug guys are clicked up with Miriarchi it seems. Who has the construction? DelBalso?
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:20 pm Just a few numbers
There's 500k Italians in Toronto.

450 out of half a million is not unreasonable.

Keep in mind Italian immigration to the US was predominatly turn of last century whilst to Canada its been post 1950.

So Canadian Italians are MUCH more ITALIAN. Whether this would lead to a higher concentration of mafioso, you would suspect it would make sense. Italian Americans are much more assimilated, more removed from the old culture.

Are there 450 Drangheta? Who knows but a "vs NYC" comparison needs context.
You are right on the money. Also, initiation in ndrangheta here is different than lcn. In lcn you are expected to always hustle, be involved in rackets, and kick up. Ndrangheta guys kick up too, but more if they are actively involved in illegal activities. There are plenty of full fledged albeit low ranking ndrangheta members who are more or less legit average Italian guys, who just own businesses and might do the odd crooked thing here or there. Being inducted into ndrangheta is more of a family honor and respect thing, and having “regular” people as part of this society is useful because they can be asked for favours in different walks of life to help a common goal
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:09 am I've wondered who holds the street for the Rizzutos ever since Whooley got shot at. Barberio got shot at too..
These attacks were the prelude.....Whooley was photographed at the big Biker rally. Hes most likely back in the fold with them, as opposed to being the street muscle for the Italians. Is someone trying to seperate the Rizzutos from their street muscle? ( Succesfully..it seems) These guys are close to the Bikers, do you rule out the Bikers then?
I'm not so sure Barberio's shooting in late 2021 was the beginning of anything. I think Barberio's shooting was something else and connected to Serafino Oliverio's shooting a month later. Maybe it is but it just seems like a long period of time in between everything.

I think Woolley is on good terms with the HA and I assume he is still close with Rizzuto-Sollecito group. Have to remember Woolley's house was targeted last May as well. Obviously someone was sending him a message but I think they said that could've been linked to him trying to move into new drug territories, links to street gangs.

I do think the bikers could be a possible suspect, as in they would be capable of doing this. But I just don't see it. Bikers and the mafia haven't really ever gone into conflict like this before so we could rule it out. This is most like Mirarchi, Desjardins, or like Journal de Montreal speculated, something from within the Rizzuto-Sollecito group.
Who do you have as the core group? It was Nick's lieutenants who turned on him. You mean family?
Guys like Vito Salvaggio, Nicola Spagnolo, Liborio Cuntrera, Charlie Renda, the Sollecito brothers, maybe a few others.

Did you mean Leonardo's lieutenants, not Nick's?

From Journald de Montreal
The third hypothesis evokes a blow that would come from former friends of Leonardo Rizzuto. "Over the past few weeks, there have been several meetings between different members of organized crime working together, but not everyone in the group respects Leonardo's leadership," said a source. 

If Leonardo Rizzuto's men remain in office for the next five years, his family will have dominated traditional Italian organized crime for half a century. 
The parts I bolded are why I don't think this attack was from Leonardo's inner circle. The way I'm interpreting it is its the leaders of these other groups who are unhappy with Leonardo's leadership. Guys like Pizzi, Barberio, Focarazzo, D'Adamo, etc, not Spagnolo, Salvaggio, Cuntrera, Renda, etc. That's why I speculated maybe Marco Pizzi could be behind this.
Also... In my Opinion....whoever holds the Book, pushed the button on Leo.... The next gambling indictment might be enlightening. Sauce is about to die, and their street muscle is under fire. All the big drug guys are clicked up with Miriarchi it seems. Who has the construction? DelBalso?
I'd be curious to know who holds it now or if that set up is still a thing. Even in Stefano's weakened state I don't see him giving it up willingly so maybe Mario Sollecito controls it for him or whoever has taken on his responsibilities.

Who would be the big drug guys? Obviously Mirarchi still has his own cocaine connections since that was the reason Renda gave to the informant who asked to kill him.

I don't think anyone "has construction". Many of different groups/cells are likely involved.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Great posts OC, I’ve been thinking it could be Pizzi as well.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Francesco Del Balso arrested as he was about to leave the country
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... e-pays.php

Organized crime: the police strike a blow at an ex-lieutenant of the Rizzuto clan and three influential Hells Angels
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2023/03 ... lls-angels

Strikes by the SQ against the heads of the Hells Angels and the Italian mafia
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/19 ... do-rizzuto
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

OcSleeper wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:04 am Francesco Del Balso arrested as he was about to leave the country
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... e-pays.php

Organized crime: the police strike a blow at an ex-lieutenant of the Rizzuto clan and three influential Hells Angels
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2023/03 ... lls-angels

Strikes by the SQ against the heads of the Hells Angels and the Italian mafia
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/19 ... do-rizzuto
So they're saying Del Baso was behind the recent attempt on Rizzuto?
All roads lead to New York.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Looks like he's just been brought in for questioning in relation to the shooting and suspected to have ordered it
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

So they also think Rizzuto's shooting could be retaliation for the attempt on Del Balso, that's interesting. And there is now a $500,000 contract on Del Balso allegedly.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Organized crime: this ex-strongman of the Rizzuto clan finds himself in hot water
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2023/03 ... eau-chaude
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

So sounds like del balso is closer with the hells angels right now and him and Leo are going at it. Wonder what happens next. A truce or more murders?
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:29 am So they also think Rizzuto's shooting could be retaliation for the attempt on Del Balso, that's interesting. And there is now a $500,000 contract on Del Balso allegedly.
Money makes the world go round.