Castellammare Post-WWII

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

jimmyb
Straightened out

Re: Castellammare Post-WWII

Post by jimmyb »

jimmyb wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:51 pm I'll double check my files when I get home, but I think Giuseppe Valenti is the soto capo now.
I have to walk this back for now. Giuseppe Valenti was identified as part of the big corruption scandal in CDG, back in 2004, but I'm not seeing anything in my articles and files. Maybe I was thinking of someone else.

I did come across a 2018 article that says Martino Magaddino was arrested along with Mariano Saracino. I never heard of "Martino" before, but interesting to see "Magaddino" popping up now and again.

Also, found an interesting article from 2018 describing the alliance between CDG and Bagheria. Sounds like they work on extortion scams and traffic weapons together. Salvatore Farina is the key figure on the CDG side. His brother in law Paolo Liga is with Bagheria. Farina's father Ambrogio was a pizza connection zip affiliated with the NY Bonannos back in the day. Ambrogio was murdered in 95. Salvatore, meanwhile, was implicated in a cocaine trafficking case back in the 90s, alongside Biaggio Buccellato and Vincenzo Garofalo.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

jimmyb wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:05 pm Also, found an interesting article from 2018 describing the alliance between CDG and Bagheria. Sounds like they work on extortion scams and traffic weapons together. Salvatore Farina is the key figure on the CDG side. His brother in law Paolo Liga is with Bagheria. Farina's father Ambrogio was a pizza connection zip affiliated with the NY Bonannos back in the day. Ambrogio was murdered in 95. Salvatore, meanwhile, was implicated in a cocaine trafficking case back in the 90s, alongside Biaggio Buccellato and Vincenzo Garofalo.
Good info. One wonders how far back these connection go, given that Joe Aiello in Chicago (Bagherese) was an important partisan of the “Castellemmarese” faction during the Castellammarese War. Then, decades later, the Ragusas in NYC were with the Bonannos, of course. Interesting to see some hints of these connections pop up over a long span of time.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:53 pm Did you guys touch on Scarcella? From Canada?
Asked about Scarcella -- no clue, isn't even familiar with Scarcella as a Castellammarese surname or how he'd fit in.

--

Other things:

- One of the Navarra brothers in the Bonannos is married to Sal Catalano's niece. Aside from their father Francesco Navarra, the Navarra family wasn't historically involved in the mafia. Presumably Frank Navarra came in through his in-laws. Navarra was well-liked by Massino as he was just focused on making money and not the politics.

- Nino Mistretta (who visited Domingo) is the cousin of Baldo Amato and Amato used Mistretta's name as a "front" when setting up businesses, etc. Is of the opinion that Amato owns half of everything Mistretta does, wouldn't even be surprised if Amato owns part of Mistretta's property in Sicily.

- In addition to Sal Montagna, there was a completely separate guy named Sal Montana who was close to Amato and Mistretta. This clarifies an FBI report I've seen that ID'd "Salvatore Montana" as an associate of Amato -- I previously assumed it was Montagna but it isn't.

- In the 1990s CDG leader Mariano Asaro visited Sicilian Bonanno members in NYC and was accompanied by a doctor (Asaro himself is a dentist). If Asaro is related to Vincent Asaro it's very distant.

- Knew Leonardo Coppola's family well and says Coppola was "definitely" a Bonanno member. JimmyB has a list of CDG Family members from decades past that IDs a Rocco Coppola as a member. This is likely a relative of Leonardo as his son is named Rocco -- maybe this older one is Leonardo's father.

- Thinks Baldo Amato was in Sal Montagna's ear during his time in Montreal. This is only speculation from someone who knew both of them well. Says Amato is very influential with these younger Sicilian guys and certainly still holds influence from prison.

- Baldo Amato was also very close to Dino Calabro of the Colombo Family. Along with Calabro's relation to Gioacchino Calabro of the CDG Family (their fathers are cousins), Dino Calabro is related to other Bonanno and CDG members. Calabro was very "Americanized".

- All of the Saracinos come from the same branch, including the Colombo members (Dino Calabro's cousins) and current CDG member Mariano Saracino.

- Giovanni Fiordilino likely transferred membership from the CDG Family. His brother Giuseppe was made in Sicily and their father was also a CDG member who committed a double murder.

- Toni Giordano's uncle Nino Buccellato visited NYC prior to his murder and Cesare Bonventre cautioned Buccellato to stay in the US and not return to Sicily. Of course Buccellato returned and was killed.

- Unrelated to the Castellammarese, but Vito and Joe Grimaldi were originally with the Asaro decina but then were split up and assigned to different crews. The Grimaldis still maintain close ties to Sicily.

- Natale Mule who was acting captain for Joe Grimaldi came from Partanna, like the Restivos, which immediately neighbors the Grimaldis' hometown Santa Ninfa. He said the Restivos were involved with a Partanna fraternal club in NYC.

- Anthony Pipitone was close to guys from the Patsy Conte crew of the Gambino Family and his family is from Carini. Domenico Cefalu from the Conte crew was called "Mimmo" by the Sicilians and the Bonanno Sicilians were close to the Conte crew. Most of the Conte associates mentioned were unfamiliar to me so not sure their names.

- Bonanno member Pietro Ligammari who killed himself in 1999 with his father was a very nice guy and well-respected.

- Considered Anthony Fasitta a nobody and not deserving of his current position.

- Didn't know anything about Damiano Zummo. He did however know Enzo Morena who he said was a non-Sicilian.

- Doesn't think the Bonanno Sicilian faction are interested in large-scale drug trafficking since the 1980s. The key players made their money and moved on and the massive prison sentences aren't considered worth it.

- Doesn't seem to know anything about Francesco Palmeri but said collecting a debt from the 1980s like that is a "brokester move".
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Few other things:

- Was also told Bernardo Mattarella was responsible for brokering peace between the rival Castellammarese clans in the 1940s. When told that pentito Francesco DiCarlo ID'd Mattarella as a Cosa Nostra member he agreed he must have been a member.

- Said some of the Palermitani in New York still had a favorable opinion of Tommaso Buscetta even after he cooperated. He was surprised people said this openly given he flipped.

- Was told Carmine Galante was legitimately feared. Jackie DeRoss of the Colombo Family told him he was walking down the street with Charlie "Moose" Panarella when they saw Galante so Panarella had them turn around and go the other way.

- Another time Baldo Amato and Cesare Bonventre ran into Allie Boy Persico (the son) and invited him to come to a bar/club where Carmine Galante was hanging out with his daughter Nina and her boyfriend. Allie Persico called Galante "Lilo" and Galante stopped him and said to call him Carmine as only his friends are allowed to call him "Lilo".

- Was told Cesare Bonventre was killed for trying to shake down Tony Aiello. His explanation was very close to what Massino testified. Said the Aiellos are originally from Partanna which is news to me as I thought Castellammare.

- Believes most Sicilians did not support Joe Bonanno during the Bonanno war and sided with DiGregorio.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:59 pm
CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:53 pm Did you guys touch on Scarcella? From Canada?
Asked about Scarcella -- no clue, isn't even familiar with Scarcella as a Castellammarese surname or how he'd fit in.

Maybe it's a bullshit rumor that he's Castellemare. He always seemed like an independent to me....
--

- Nino Mistretta (who visited Domingo) is the cousin of Baldo Amato and Amato used Mistretta's name as a "front" when setting up businesses, etc. Is of the opinion that Amato owns half of everything Mistretta does, wouldn't even be surprised if Amato owns part of Mistretta's property in Sicily.
Aah, he belongs to Baldo.

- In addition to Sal Montagna, there was a completely separate guy named Sal Montana who was close to Amato and Mistretta. This clarifies an FBI report I've seen that ID'd "Salvatore Montana" as an associate of Amato -- I previously assumed it was Montagna but it isn't.

These Sicilians.... you really do NEED nicknames, lol. Did we ever solve the Lorenzo Mannnio question? Just wondering.....
- In the 1990s CDG leader Mariano Asaro visited Sicilian Bonanno members in NYC and was accompanied by a doctor (Asaro himself is a dentist). If Asaro is related to Vincent Asaro it's very distant.
Does your friend know anything about a possible rivalry between Asaro and Ciccio Domingo?

- Knew Leonardo Coppola's family well and says Coppola was "definitely" a Bonanno member. JimmyB has a list of CDG Family members from decades past that IDs a Rocco Coppola as a member. This is likely a relative of Leonardo as his son is named Rocco -- maybe this older one is Leonardo's father.
Is he the guy that got killed with Galante?
- Thinks Baldo Amato was in Sal Montagna's ear during his time in Montreal. This is only speculation from someone who knew both of them well. Says Amato is very influential with these younger Sicilian guys and certainly still holds influence from prison.
It would make sense. Just like Cesare challenged Rastelli, the Sicilians seemingly challenge authority much more readily. Its like Nick Rizzuto seeking counsel from Buscetta on his affiliation, and Buscetta advising him to assert himself. Maybe it's a consequence of Sicily being so dense with mafia clans?
- Baldo Amato was also very close to Dino Calabro of the Colombo Family. Along with Calabro's relation to Gioacchino Calabro of the CDG Family (their fathers are cousins), Dino Calabro is related to other Bonanno and CDG members. Calabro was very "Americanized".

I find this actually kinda Interesting. Being very "Americanized", does Calabro identify with being.... I dunno..... Castellamarese? Does he think of himself as a Brooklyn guy with ancestry from Sicily? Or does he IDENTIFY as SICILIAN, like... Baldo does? How does Baldo see himself? Is Baldo Americanized now?

-
- Anthony Pipitone was close to guys from the Patsy Conte crew of the Gambino Family and his family is from Carini. Domenico Cefalu from the Conte crew was called "Mimmo" by the Sicilians and the Bonanno Sicilians were close to the Conte crew. Most of the Conte associates mentioned were unfamiliar to me so not sure their names.
Sicilians? Passo Di Rigano people?

- Didn't know anything about Damiano Zummo. He did however know Enzo Morena who he said was a non-Sicilian.

- Doesn't think the Bonanno Sicilian faction are interested in large-scale drug trafficking since the 1980s. The key players made their money and moved on and the massive prison sentences aren't considered worth it.
You mean Catalano and his guys?

Thing is, after their refineries got shut down, they really didn't have the MEANS anymore. If they did, honestly I think Baldo gets his youngsters involved. We're talking late 80s, early 90s. Unless of course you think the Caruanas were Bonnano controlled. Do you consider the NY sicilians and Montreal sicilians..... different ......networks?

It's really interesting he doesn't think the Bonnano sicilians want anything to do with drugs, and doesn't know Zummo, yet Zummo got caught with cocaine at wholesale amounts, and went to Canada to forge a coke route with Morena, supplied by the Violis, with seemingly FULL SANCTION from the Bonnano family, even kinda formalized by the inclusion of the Violis at the ceremony. They even told Morena he answered specifically to the Bonannos alone, and HE was to be the courier.

From where was this direction coming from?

Also, I could see the Bonnanos using the trade to rebuild their Canadian network, much like the Inzerillos used it to rebuild their Sicilian network. Not because they are obsessed with drug money. All the families in Sicily seem to be using it to pay prisoners expenses.

- Doesn't seem to know anything about Francesco Palmeri but said collecting a debt from the 1980s like that is a "brokester move".
I hate to say, but that's how I viewed Montagnas extortion attempts.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

B. wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:59 pm - Unrelated to the Castellammarese, but Vito and Joe Grimaldi were originally with the Asaro decina but then were split up and assigned to different crews. The Grimaldis still maintain close ties to Sicily.
That will explain how both the Grimaldis ended up as official Captains in the 2010s.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Does your friend know anything about a possible rivalry between Asaro and Ciccio Domingo?
Not sure but if it comes up I'll ask. Says there's a historic division in the CDG Family throughout its history between the "aristocrats" who live in town near the water and the "mountain" guys who live up in the rural areas. These guys are def still aware of that dynamic but I don't know how much of a role it plays in current factionalism. Like I posted before one of the big issues from the recent tapes is Domingo wants to kill guys who sided with the Corleonesi.
Sicilians? Passo Di Rigano people?
Just meant the Sicilian guys Cefalu interacted with. Seems obvious he'd be called Mimmo or something similar, just thought to include it since we only ever hear him called "Italian Dom" and there's no way the Sicilians call him that. Need to brush up on the Conte crew as there was a lot more interaction between them and the Bonannos in Queens than I realized.
It's really interesting he doesn't think the Bonnano sicilians want anything to do with drugs, and doesn't know Zummo, yet Zummo got caught with cocaine at wholesale amounts, and went to Canada to forge a coke route with Morena, supplied by the Violis, with seemingly FULL SANCTION from the Bonnano family, even kinda formalized by the inclusion of the Violis at the ceremony. They even told Morena he answered specifically to the Bonannos alone, and HE was to be the courier.
I know you see things through the drug lens, but was anything released from those tapes that indicated the Buffalo/Bonanno relationship was based mainly around drugs? Seemed like a lot of different moving pieces to me.

Should clarify he didn't say he doesn't know Zummo just didn't know anything about his background. Not sure if he personally knew him or not but sounds like Zummo was a non-factor until recent years, kind of like Fasitta.

He's def aware of guys dealing drugs just doesn't think it's a big focus like it used to be. He himself veered away from drugs despite coming up around all the Pizza Connection guys, but he did rob drug dealers and quickly sold the stash. Wasn't like the Sicilian faction was grooming the young guys to get into that business or anything. He said Massino too didn't want people dealing drugs.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

B. wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:59 pm - In addition to Sal Montagna, there was a completely separate guy named Sal Montana who was close to Amato and Mistretta. This clarifies an FBI report I've seen that ID'd "Salvatore Montana" as an associate of Amato -- I previously assumed it was Montagna but it isn't.
Just remembered Salvatore Montana came up in the recent Domingo investigation:
Another character Domingo met several times is Giuseppe Vultaggio, a US citizen of Alcamo origin. In August 4 years ago he went to ask for help for "a picciutteddu" who had to fly for a company in the waste sector. In the same summer there is also the meeting with Salvatore Montana, namesake of the former head of the Bonanno family who was murdered in Canada.
- When I read that before I was confused as this Salvatore Montana was still alive in 2016 meeting with Domingo but then it references Sal Montagna. Now we know this is a totally separate guy and that makes three Bonanno guys who met with Domingo around the mid-2010s -- Nino Mistretta, Giovanni Carollo, and Salvatore Montana.

- No idea if Montana is made but the indication is Mistretta and Carollo are Bonanno members. Montana had similar access to the boss of CDG and has a long history with Baldo Amato so maybe he's another guy the Bonanno Sicilian faction brought in.

- Domingo was recorded saying Mistretta was a "picciotto" (literally "little boy" but a Sicilian term for made member) from NYC who had met with him and asked about the status of Gaetano Camarda, who was accused of falsely claiming he had put some kind of activity on record with Domingo. "Joe" of the Bonanno Family told Mistretta when he went to Castellammare he had to first contact the Domingos and only the Domingos, not anyone else.

- Sounds like Giuseppe Vultaggio could be made as it says he was trying to get a job for a "picciutteddu" (made member). Maybe Vultaggio is a US-based Alcamo member since it doesn't reference the Bonannos though he is brought up in context with all these visits from Bonanno member/associates.
Another possible connetion came up in the Domingo case...

- Domingo and Nino Mistretta discussed Carini boss Antonino Pipitone getting "caught" and flipping. Sicilian Bonanno captain Anthony Pipitone's family being from Carini suggests he might be related to the Carini Family leadership. Obviously not of much use now that Antonino cooperated.

Here we have a Bonanno member and the Castellammare boss discussing a Pipitone in Carini, seems too coincidental but then again I just found out there was both a Salvatore Montagna and Salvatore Montana who were Baldo Amato proteges close to all the same people.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:26 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:56 am Sicilians? Passo Di Rigano people?
Just meant the Sicilian guys Cefalu interacted with. Seems obvious he'd be called Mimmo or something similar, just thought to include it since we only ever hear him called "Italian Dom" and there's no way the Sicilians call him that. Need to brush up on the Conte crew as there was a lot more interaction between them and the Bonannos in Queens than I realized.
Worth noting here that I have Pasquale Conte arriving in NYC in 1936 at 11 years old from Palermo with his mother, Francesca Paola Graziano (same ship as Phil Amari's mother, though I think this has been discussed before). At this time his father, Antonino Conte, was already living in Williamsburg, at 593 Grand St, so smack in the middle of Bonnano-Town. Patsy's father was the same Antonino Conte who was a Gambino underboss under Anastasia, right?

Worth noting also that this Grand St address for years has been a Key Foods location operated by the Conte-owned Tapps Supermarkets. Given his longstanding close ties to that neighborhood, Conte's connections to the Bonannos would make perfect sense.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

I was recently told he was a Neapolitan although he wasn't sure. I was under the impression Morena was a Sicilian but it would be interesting to find out that he was in fact Neapolitan or maybe even Calabria which could shine light on how he knew the Violi's prior to being in Hamilton.

Morena was supposedly very close with Fabio Bartolotta as well.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

OcSleeper wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:29 am
I was recently told he was a Neapolitan although he wasn't sure. I was under the impression Morena was a Sicilian but it would be interesting to find out that he was in fact Neapolitan or maybe even Calabria which could shine light on how he knew the Violi's prior to being in Hamilton.

Morena was supposedly very close with Fabio Bartolotta as well.
FWIW, though I haven’t confirmed either of these guys’ ancestries myself, Zummo is a Sicilian surname. More common in Palermo province, but also heavily concentrated in Gibellina, Trapani. Morena, OTOH, is found in Campania (mainly Salerno province) and Calabria (Reggio). Just based on their surnames, I’d bet that Zummo is Sicilian while Morena is a mainlander.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Zummo's father was apparently the 1980s NYC heroin trafficker Paolo Zummo who was ID'd as a Sicilian mafioso who hung out at Caffe Aiello. I think they're from that inland Trapani area but don't know for sure. There were Zummos in the Gibellina Family.

Bartolotta came up a lot in conversation. His father was also involved in drug trafficking with these guys, Salvatore Bartolotta. An Article says his grandfather was involved too. They're relatives of the Ragusas so maybe from Bagheria like them where Filippo Ragusa was made.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:55 am Zummo's father was apparently the 1980s NYC heroin trafficker Paolo Zummo who was ID'd as a Sicilian mafioso who hung out at Caffe Aiello. I think they're from that inland Trapani area but don't know for sure. There were Zummos in the Gibellina Family.

Bartolotta came up a lot in conversation. His father was also involved in drug trafficking with these guys, Salvatore Bartolotta. An Article says his grandfather was involved too. They're relatives of the Ragusas so maybe from Bagheria like them where Filippo Ragusa was made.
Yeah, I'd bet good money that Zummo's family is from Gibellina or the immediate area. Connections to the guys from Partanna/Santa Ninfa would make sense, so it's unsurprising that Paolo Zummo hung out at Caffe Aiello.

The Bartolottas are Bagheresi. Lots of Bagheresi in these circles, as it turns out. The Ragusas, the Bartolottas, Andrea Aiello, Salvatore Greco, Francesco Affatigato (working with La Portas moving heroin to Philly); the Castronovos I'm pretty sure were also Bagheresi. And, of course, in Bagheria itself Leonardo Greco and Domenico Lo Galbo. Bagheria was, I believe, a really critical part of this network, as it seems that they were using Leonardo Greco's iron factory in Bagheria not just as a storage warehouse, but as a clandestine lab to refine morphine base into heroin.

As a side note, but still Bonanno connected: while following up on some of the Bagheria mafia network people, I came across a Simone Castello from Villabate who was ID'd as a partner of the Grecos and Castronovos in Bagheria. This could connect to the Angelo Castello from Villabate who thekiduknow recently brought up as an apparent Bonanno (instead of Profaci) member in BK.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

CabriniGreen wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:56 am
B. wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:59 pm

Maybe it's a bullshit rumor that he's Castellemare. He always seemed like an independent to me....
Peter Scarcella was born in CDG on this day (July 12) in 1950. He arrived in North America at the age of 9 -- see https://www.evernote.com/shard/s229/sh/ ... 7347bc2424.

Not until I read Peter Edwards and Luis Horacio Nájera’s October 2021 book, The Wolfpack, did I learn that Scarcella knew both Cesare Bonventre and Baldo Amato.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks for confirming Scarcella's background, Antimafia, and that he was in fact connected to the Bonanno Castellammarese.

One thing that's clear is these fully-inducted Castellammarese truly are as secretive as the hype suggests and didn't gossip about anything/everything. Even someone in their circle wasn't aware of everyone's status and range of connections. Some of them also didn't show any indications they'd become mafiosi before they were made -- Toni Giordano for example was a nerdy and well-read legitimate guy who committed a murder and then went full force into the Bonanno Family like his relatives.