Existing Families (2022)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Existing Families (2022)

Post by Pogo The Clown »

But is this even the Mafia's own criteria in practical terms and in the present day? We have guys like Lonardo, Franzese, Frattiano and Natale expressing different thoughts to the "1 living member = a family" belief.

Anyway at this point we probably know more about the existence of these remaining members in the far off cities and vice versa then they themselves do.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

My guess is there is a little of both going on. Some of these Families/members are still connected while others aren't.
cobra
Straightened out

Post by cobra »

PolackTony wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:47 pm
cobra wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:31 pm -springfield, illinois
-separate family or chicago decina?
WAS it’s own family. After it went defunct, no evidence that I’m aware of that would support it being absorbed by Chicago (as the FBI at least sometimes believed for Rockford). Springfield is a long ways from Chicago and is in a very distinct region in terms of geography and culture, unlike Rockford. In contrast to some other families like Pittsburgh, Chicago doesn’t seem to have ever had regional decine or outposts (Chi Heights and Gary are suburbs of Chicago, so they’re within the Chicagoland metro region). Though there’s still plenty that we don’t know about the past, as there was an apparent mafia network in Deep South IL composed of Agrigentini who were connected to both STL and Chicago, and one claim from the 60s that Chicago had something going on in Peoria (unsubstantiated so far as I know).

Chicago had many connected Italian politicians, either members of the mafia or associates, and a good number of them held state office and thus spent time in Springfield. One would assume that these guys had connections to the Springfield family for that reason, though this is an underexplored topic.
-i don't say it is existing
-not listed on first page
-so i check to see if it was really a family
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

B. wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:15 pm

Tampa
- Associate Terry Scaglione was working with the Gambino Family in the early-mid 2000s.
Raffa crew had some associates (e.g. Julius Chiusano) who were aligned with Gambinos
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

sdeitche wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:41 pm

Tampa
- Associate Terry Scaglione was working with the Gambino Family in the early-mid 2000s.
Raffa crew had some associates (e.g. Julius Chiusano) who were aligned with Gambinos
Any updates on either Scott?
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Newyorkempire wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:48 pm

Tampa
Terry, from what I've heard, is not involved in anything. Still lives in Tampa.
Not sure on the remnants of the Raffa crew.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

sdeitche wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:25 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:48 pm

Tampa
Terry, from what I've heard, is not involved in anything. Still lives in Tampa.
Not sure on the remnants of the Raffa crew.
Thanks
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:21 pm If we are looking at it from the Mafia's own internal criteria, as outlined above, I don't disagree with it. As an outsider I obviously come from the other direction because, if for no other reason, I think the external/law enforcement approach gives a more practical view of things.

If any family is still recognized with a single or a few members, then by that criteria there are still 20 families in the country. But to say, "There are 20 Mafia families in the U.S." can be pretty misleading and paint a very warped picture of things as they now stand.
100%.

Thank you for being so understanding with this thread. And thank you for your contributions to it, you listed info that I wasn't aware of. Salut.
sisterray
Straightened out

Post by sisterray »

I get that a single member borgata is still viable as far as LCN rules go. What about smaller families that have no members that are officially plugged in to the network? (i.e formally introduced to guys from other groups)?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

sisterray wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:15 pm I get that a single member borgata is still viable as far as LCN rules go. What about smaller families that have no members that are officially plugged in to the network? (i.e formally introduced to guys from other groups)?
Maybe I’m misreading the question, but a family without any members wouldn’t, by definition, be a family by anyone’s rubric and there, obviously, wouldn’t be anyone to introduce anyone to.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

sisterray wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:15 pm I get that a single member borgata is still viable as far as LCN rules go. What about smaller families that have no members that are officially plugged in to the network? (i.e formally introduced to guys from other groups)?
All existing small families members are tied into the national/international network
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Tampa
Anyone have a list of Raffa crew members and associates?
sisterray
Straightened out

Post by sisterray »

Newyorkempire wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:34 pm
All existing small families members are tied into the national/international network
I might've phrased the question confusingly.

What I meant was, if a withering family has inducted members who at some point in the past were formally introduced to guys from other borgatas, but those introductions/contacts are not valid anymore (say, a guy who was their point of contact in another city passed away - basically they have no meaningful connections to groups in other cities and guys in those cities couldn't officially reach out to them even if they wanted to), should we then consider a group like this defunct? Meaning, LA despite having only one confirmed/active member might be considered viable in LCN terms since it's plugged in to an inter-family network, while Kansas City, which has 10 members, but none of whom have any contact with made men from other parts of the country, could be considered basically defunct
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

sisterray wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:51 am

What I meant was, if a withering family has inducted members who at some point in the past were formally introduced to guys from other borgatas, but those introductions/contacts are not valid anymore (say, a guy who was their point of contact in another city passed away - basically they have no meaningful connections to groups in other cities and guys in those cities couldn't officially reach out to them even if they wanted to), should we then consider a group like this defunct? Meaning, LA despite having only one confirmed/active member might be considered viable in LCN terms since it's plugged in to an inter-family network, while Kansas City, which has 10 members, but none of whom have any contact with made men from other parts of the country, could be considered basically defunct
So many ifs and variables. Hard to answer. Maybe yes maybe no
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

sisterray wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:51 am

You're assuming that Kansas City doesn't contact members of other Families. There's no reason to assume that. Kansas City undoubtedly lets its avugad on the Commission know what they're doing.