Existing Families (2022)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Existing Families (2022)

Post by Angelo Santino »

Existing in terms of what the Mafia considers to be existing in terms of recognition.

1-5 - New York
6 - Philadelphia
7 - New England
8 - Tampa (Lo Scalzo is still alive)
9 - Buffalo (Confirmed by a member in 2017)
10 - Detroit (as per Scott)
11 - Chicago
12 - Kansas City (Rumored)
13 - New Orleans (confirmed by a member as of 2002, members arrested in 2014)
14 - LA (Tommy Gambino)
15 - Cleveland (1 member but there's been rumors that Papalardo has an admin, I got no opinion)
16 - DeCavalcante

Confirmed Defunct
1 - San Francisco
2 - San Jose
3 - Dallas
4 - Bufalino
5 - Milwaukee? - I really don't know much about Milwaukee.
6 - Madison
7 - St Louis
8 - Pueblo/Denver
9 - Pittsburgh
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Re: Existing Families (2022)

Post by OcSleeper »

Does Rockford not have any living members? Pittsburg has no known members after Thomas Ciancutti died last summer.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Re: Existing Families

Post by FriendofHenry »

I believe you can stick a fork in Pittsburgh, they're done :(
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Regarding the 2014 New Orleans bust, only Joe Gagliano seems to have been made. The other guy arrested, Dominick Gullo, doesn’t seem to have been made. But either way, Gullo died in 2020. So, it seems like only one living made member left.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:04 pm Existing in terms of what the Mafia considers to be existing in terms of recognition.
Is this one living member?
8 - Tampa (Lo Scalzo is still alive)
And a few other guys.
13 - New Orleans (confirmed by a member as of 2002, members arrested in 2014)
1 member (Joseph Gagliano)
14 - LA (Tommy Gambino)
And a few other guys
15 - Cleveland (1 member but there's been rumors that Papalardo has an admin, I got no opinion)
Papalardo is the only one I'm still aware of.
5 - Milwaukee? - I really don't know much about Milwaukee.
John Balistrieri last living member, I think.
7 - St Louis
Nondo Bartolotta is still alive. Last one.
8 - Pueblo/Denver
Eugene Smaldone Jr. is still alive at 91. I thought he was dead but apparently not.
All roads lead to New York.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

OcSleeper wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:14 pm Does Rockford not have any living members?
Cavita’s obviously the man for this, but from the files I’ve seen the FBI even in the 90s seemed genuinely confused as to whether Rockford was still a distinct family or if its remaining members were under Chicago by that point.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Yeah it can be one. As long as the last remaining member didn't say he no longer wishes to be an active organizational member, which in many cases we're not privy to these conversations.

With regard to Nola, I'm guessing that guy who recently died was the last remaining one we know of?
Johnny1and1
Straightened out

Post by Johnny1and1 »

I don't think Milwaukee is defunct. Rumor has it On the Border gentlemen's Club had hidden ownership. A couple of smaller things in Milwaukee. When Wisconsin got legalized marijuana, the legal farms had marijuana siphoned off. Another "rumored" operation, and fairly recent. So much so, the street value decreased significantly, as did the price per lb., which is presumably more wholesale.

Rumor has it Tampa has one active member. There might be other members alive, but only one is running anything.

These are rumors, which is the way I'd like to categorize it to not offend the members on here that only consider newspaper articles, court documents, etc., as the only proof.

Take it for what it's worth. Or fire away.
Vacari Lives!
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Milwaukee can go under a question mark.
Nola, not sure.

When it comes to the term "active," we all subscribe different meanings to it. I would gather that to the members, "active" means someone in good standing within the organization, regardless of whether he's running a million dollar racket or drives a bus. But for us, active can mean involved heavily in crime which makes sense because that's how outsiders and law enforcement have measured the scope of the mafia. Which in and of itself is a good way to start because crime and the organization go hand in hand.

I received a DM asking if this was a troll post. I assure all of you, it is not. I made this post because Antiliar and I had this discussion this week and.. it's interesting.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Another angle is which Families have had confirmed contact in the last 20 years, i.e. what remains of a national network.

I'd also be curious what sources there are who can confirm/deny a given Family is down to one remaining member. Not that I believe there's an army of soldati hanging around, but we operate from an assumption that the FBI was able to identify/confirm all of the made members in these cities years ago and they've made nobody since then. As always the FBI requires member informants and bugs, occasionally well-connected associates, to determine membership and it's not clear what kind of inside intel they've had access to.

New Orleans is a great example, as they were on the verge of dying out by 1968 (as few as 5 remaining members) but were able to induct select people and maintain contact with the Gambino Family into the 2000s. Gagliano might well be the last living member but it's amazing they've survived at all.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

In 2002 Michael was asked if he wanted to meet the guys (plural) from New Orleans and Michael, although he wishes he had in hindsight, was too busy and didn't. Whoever these "guys" were, 2 or 5, were well enough to travel.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Taking an offhand look at the network. Not going to include NYC, Philly, and DeCavs as they are all in the mix with each other still.

New England
- DiNunzio met with Gambino member Nick Stefanelli, which also implies an existing channel between NE and the Gambinos.
- Guglielmetti is allegedly close to Philly captain George Borgesi from their prison time together.
- The DiNunzios began as Chicago associates so could well have ties back there.

Tampa
- Associate Terry Scaglione was working with the Gambino Family in the early-mid 2000s.

Buffalo
- Close contact with the Bonanno Family in recent years.
- Todaro contacted other NYC Families before promoting Violi to underboss.

Detroit
- Scott believes LaPiana continues to maintain contact with Chicago.
- He has also said DiFronzo and Tocco had a close relationship when they were alive/active.

Chicago
- Matassa is brother-in-law to Genovese captain Pagano.
- Genovese member(?) Auricchio was photographed in Chicago with the son of Marcello.

New Orleans
- Members still going to NYC to meet with the Gambino Family in early 2000s.

LA
- Tommy Gambino obviously close to members of the Gambino Family.
- Gambino member Isgro lives in LA and is close to Tommy and Tony Gambino.
- Colombo leader Montemarano was business partner of Tommy Gambino while living in LA.

Cleveland
- Gambino member moved to Cleveland but no indication he was involved with local members.

These are just the examples known to the public.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Johnny1and1 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:09 pm I don't think Milwaukee is defunct. Rumor has it On the Border gentlemen's Club had hidden ownership. A couple of smaller things in Milwaukee. When Wisconsin got legalized marijuana, the legal farms had marijuana siphoned off. Another "rumored" operation, and fairly recent. So much so, the street value decreased significantly, as did the price per lb., which is presumably more wholesale.

Rumor has it Tampa has one active member. There might be other members alive, but only one is running anything.

These are rumors, which is the way I'd like to categorize it to not offend the members on here that only consider newspaper articles, court documents, etc., as the only proof.

Take it for what it's worth. Or fire away.
Think I'll fire away.

"When Wisconsin got legalized marijuana, the legal farms had marijuana siphoned off"

Marijuana possession, sale, and manufacture are illegal under Wisconsin law.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.reddin ... -laws.html

So, your inside bullshit scoop can't even pass a two second Google search.

"Another "rumored" operation, and fairly recent."

Just bullshit mate.

To the board: This loser has claimed to now have INSIDE INFO/RUMOURS/THE SCOOP in: Connecticut, NY, Florida, Aruba, Canada and NOW WISCONSIN.

Go see your stories at GBB, sad little man.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

B. wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:15 pm Taking an offhand look at the network. Not going to include NYC, Philly, and DeCavs as they are all in the mix with each other still.

New England
- DiNunzio met with Gambino member Nick Stefanelli, which also implies an existing channel between NE and the Gambinos.
- Guglielmetti is allegedly close to Philly captain George Borgesi from their prison time together.
- The DiNunzios began as Chicago associates so could well have ties back there.

Tampa
- Associate Terry Scaglione was working with the Gambino Family in the early-mid 2000s.

Buffalo
- Close contact with the Bonanno Family in recent years.
- Todaro contacted other NYC Families before promoting Violi to underboss.

Detroit
- Scott believes LaPiana continues to maintain contact with Chicago.
- He has also said DiFronzo and Tocco had a close relationship when they were alive/active.

Chicago
- Matassa is brother-in-law to Genovese captain Pagano.
- Genovese member(?) Auricchio was photographed in Chicago with the son of Marcello.

New Orleans
- Members still going to NYC to meet with the Gambino Family in early 2000s.

LA
- Tommy Gambino obviously close to members of the Gambino Family.
- Gambino member Isgro lives in LA and is close to Tommy and Tony Gambino.
- Colombo leader Montemarano was business partner of Tommy Gambino while living in LA.

Cleveland
- Gambino member moved to Cleveland but no indication he was involved with local members.

These are just the examples known to the public.
Late Patriarca member Alfred "Chippy" Scivola was caught up in the 2004 bust with several Gambino members involving extortion of strip clubs.

I don't recall the specifics off the top of my head but there was interaction with the Genovese Springfield crew and the Patriarcas. I think this also happened to involve extortion of a strip club, on some level, but also I seem to recall the Patriarcas warning the Genovese about John Bologna. Something like that. But Arillotta has talked about having contact with them at times.
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great info Wiseguy, didn't know about the Scivola info.