Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:46 am Could the FBI have mistaken Alfonso Attardi for "Alfonso Allardi?"
Alfonso Attardi was a Gambino member who started out under D'Aquila. He was involved in the same drug ring as Nick Gentile who later became a CI. Think he died in the early 60s.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Article on the Campisis says Pietro Campisi died around 1971, a year after son Thomas. There is one who died in East Hanover NJ in November 1972, not sure if it's the same one. Either way Pietro was still alive in 1963 and was probably a Genovese member.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:35 am
Chris Christie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:46 am Could the FBI have mistaken Alfonso Attardi for "Alfonso Allardi?"
Alfonso Attardi was a Gambino member who started out under D'Aquila. He was involved in the same drug ring as Nick Gentile who later became a CI. Think he died in the early 60s.
Yes and the FBI early on got members' affiliations mixed up and/or got names wrong. They have an Alfonso Allardi listed as a member which doesn't come up anywhere else, I am speculating that they may have been referring to the Gambino Attardi.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Anyone ever find out more info on Mike Barese?

eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Pietro Campisi (the grandad) was made in Sicily. He relocated to the Vailsburg section of Newark in the 30s and made his bones in America, too. He was a suspected Genovese member.

Pietro died in 1972, while his wife died a few years earlier. By the time Pietro's grandson Peter got proposed for membership in the 1970s, he would've been the fourth Campisi initiated in Cosa Nostra -- after his granddad, two uncles, and father.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

61 members' background identified so far, take out the former bosses and Terranova and you have 18 Sicilians, 29 Campani, 8 Calabresi, 1 Basilicatese and 1 Abruzzese. Make it 19 if Alongi's family is from Caccamo. Pretty well rounded in terms of western Sicilians- Palermo prov is where most of them came from but there's also a few members from Agrigento and one from Marsala.

The Campani are mostly from Napoli and Salerno provinces. We're still very much into this and the stats will change but so far we're not seeing a town where an overwhelming amount came from. Two here, one there, four from Naples city.
Southshore88
Straightened out

Post by Southshore88 »

eboli wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:58 am
PolackTony wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:21 am Thanks for the info. So, there were like, what, 7-8 "original" crews before the crew splits? Terranova/Coppola/Lombardo crew, Greco crew, Pellegrino crew, Miranda crew (later split), Pisano/Angelina crew, Strollo/Eboli crew, NJ/Moretti crew (later split), Doto/Alo crew, Frasca crew (?), DelDuca crew.

This more or less correct? Any other pre-1960s crews left out? What were the pre-Frasca BK crews -- did Frasca inherit what had originally been, at least in part, Frankie Yale's crew? And the Coppola East Harlem crew was never split, right?
From the ones we can confirm:

Terranova/Coppola/Lombardo
Luciano/Greco
Genovese/Strollo/Eboli
Pellegrino
Miranda
Moretti/Catena/Boiardo
Doto/Alo

We don't have enough info on the Brooklyn faction. Pisano took over only a portion of Yale's old regime, and for most of his reign, he focused more on his operations outside Brooklyn than inside the borough.

Thomas 'Bullets' Licata was a capo from Ozone Park who operated a Brooklyn crew in the late 1940s - early 1950s. His crew was part of the crew merge that made Frasca a capo, but it's unknown if Frasca was a capo before the merge. So as of the late 1940s - early 1950s, the Genovese had at least three Brooklyn regimes.

From what I can tell, the Genovese family always had at the very least 2 Brooklyn crews, with the crews getting merged or split periodically.

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:17 am I read your NJ crew write up. Amazing research done.

So Boiardo was in a dispute with Zwillman or the NJ Gen crew? If he was boss if his independent group do you think it was possible he was made captain immediately after being brought in? Sounds like he and Catena had an on and off again relationship while he and Miranda seemingly got along.

All of this is so interesting.
Thanks for the kind words, buddy.

Boiardo was in dispute with both Zwillman and the Moretti Crew. His feud with Zwillman was public and violent, while his beef with Moretti was private and political for the most part.

Boiardo had a long-standing hatred for Zwillman because of their war during the Prohibition days. Boiardo had old ties to the Genovese and Chicago, dating back to the early 1920s, if not earlier.

The main reason for Boiardo's love-hate relationship with Catena was bitterness. He was bitter that Catena was very influential in the Genovese family. Since joining the Genovese, Catena's power continued to increase, while Boiardo's steadily declined. For what's worth, Catena trusted Boiardo more than he did DeCarlo. Catena was also Zwillman's right-hand man since the early 1930s.
do you think it was possible he was made captain immediately after being brought in?
No chance. A big reason why these old NJ gangsters like Boiardo, DeCarlo, Catena, etc., were skeptical of joining Cosa Nostra is that they knew they had to toe the line. Until the crew split in late 1961 - early 1962, there was only one huge Genovese NJ-based crew with an interrupted succession since the family's inception.
Sounds like he and Catena had an on and off again relationship while he and Miranda seemingly got along.
We don't know too much about Boiardo and Miranda's relationship. It could've been similar to Boiardo's relationship with Catena or completely different. Although it's known that Miranda and Luciano were among Boiardo's contacts with the Genovese during the 1920s.
Great to have you contributing and sharing such insight here Eboli. I came across one of your previous posts, the 1990 Genovese chart. Thought it would be helpful with connecting the dots as there is a brief history for each of the crews included. (Link: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8609)

Based on the information from that chart, the Springfield crew was formed sometime in the 1960's so it wasn't clear to me if they would be considered an official crew for the 1963 chart?

Had a few follow up questions after reviewing that chart were around the Gatto Crew (NJ - 1961/1962), the Ianniello crew (Manhattan - 1957), the Ardito crew (Manhattan - 1957) and Malangone (Brooklyn - early 1950's) crews as they all appear to have been formed before 1963.
- Was Louis Gatto the original Capo for that crew when it was formed in 1961/1962 - or did he take over the Gene Catena crew?
- Are the Ianniello, Ardito and Malangone crews from the 1990 chart offshoots/successors from the new crews that were created after Mike Miranda's promotion to Consigliere? (if so, is Malangone the Tieri crew and Ianniello the DeFeo crew?)

In addition to the Springfield crew, both Generoso (Brooklyn - 1960's) and Gangi (Manhattan - 1960's) were also established in the 1960's but based on all of the research provided so far, they appear to have been established after 1963.

Thanks for all of the research into this subject and look forward to your insight.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Southshore88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:44 am Great to have you contributing and sharing such insight here Eboli. I came across one of your previous posts, the 1990 Genovese chart. Thought it would be helpful with connecting the dots as there is a brief history for each of the crews included. (Link: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8609)

Based on the information from that chart, the Springfield crew was formed sometime in the 1960's so it wasn't clear to me if they would be considered an official crew for the 1963 chart?

Had a few follow up questions after reviewing that chart were around the Gatto Crew (NJ - 1961/1962), the Ianniello crew (Manhattan - 1957), the Ardito crew (Manhattan - 1957) and Malangone (Brooklyn - early 1950's) crews as they all appear to have been formed before 1963.
- Was Louis Gatto the original Capo for that crew when it was formed in 1961/1962 - or did he take over the Gene Catena crew?
- Are the Ianniello, Ardito and Malangone crews from the 1990 chart offshoots/successors from the new crews that were created after Mike Miranda's promotion to Consigliere? (if so, is Malangone the Tieri crew and Ianniello the DeFeo crew?)

In addition to the Springfield crew, both Generoso (Brooklyn - 1960's) and Gangi (Manhattan - 1960's) were also established in the 1960's but based on all of the research provided so far, they appear to have been established after 1963.

Thanks for all of the research into this subject and look forward to your insight.
1. Regarding Springfield - the crew could've been active earlier than we know, but we don't have the info, and the feds didn't either. As far as I could find - the earliest information on Cufari as capo is from the late 1960s. I haven't researched the topic in detail, though.

2. Louis Gatto inherited the crew from Pete 'Lodi' LaPlaca in the late 1970s. LaPlaca took over as official captain shortly after Eugene Catena's death from cancer in 1967. Initially, Tommy Pecora was Catena's direct successor, but he either stepped down or served only in an acting capacity for a couple of months.

3. Ianniello and Ardito's crews are off-shoots from the Miranda split. Ianniello was under Tony Sheikh; Ardito under Celano. The Malangone Crew is the Gus Frasca crew and already existed when the Miranda crew got disbanded.

4. We can trace the lineage of the Generoso crew to the mid to late 1960s. Not much info. Vincenzo Generoso was part of Tommy Licata's illegal operations in the late 1940s, but it's unknown when he got made, and if he was under Licata. Mikey Dimino took over in the 1970s.

5. The Gangi crew was the former Mogavero crew, headed by Joe Lapi in the early 1970s. My opinion is that by 1963 Mogavero was a skipper who split from Pellegrino, but even if he wasn't, by the late 1960s, he was 100% a captain.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

The origin of the Springfield crew goes back to Carlo Sinischalchi, followed by Antonio Miranda. Whether they were made members or if they were, ranking members, is unknown.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2011/12/o ... field.html

https://mafiagenealogy.wordpress.com/20 ... achusetts/

BTW, for what it's worth, a CI claimed that Carfano took over the Yale crew, with the assistance of Joe Adonis. This could mean that the Yale crew was split up between the two of them, which would make sense since originally both of their crews were based in Brooklyn.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... ie_uale%22
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:00 pm The origin of the Springfield crew goes back to Carlo Sinischalchi, followed by Antonio Miranda. Whether they were made members or if they were, ranking members, is unknown.

BTW, for what it's worth, a CI claimed that Carfano took over the Yale crew, with the assistance of Joe Adonis. This could mean that the Yale crew was split up between the two of them, which would make sense since originally both of their crews were based in Brooklyn.
The Justin Cascio post is very interesting. I was just starting to look into the background of some of these Springfield people to see where in Calabria and Campania they hailed from. I think it’s very notable that Braciglianesi were a key component, as I believe that Bracigliano and the surrounding area was a stronghold for the Camorra in the Naples hinterland. This is timely, as you’re aware, given that I just posted on the Outfit-connected Albano family in Chicago, who were from Bracigliano as was Pasqualina Albano of Springfield. Two current major Chicago members — Mike Sarno and Solly DeLaurentis — both have ancestry from Bracigliano. Given the fact that the core of what became the Springfield crew was composed of immigrants from Reggio Calabria and Bracigliano/Avellino, I believe that the roots of this crew go back to Camorra influences predating their formal induction into LCN; their affiliation with the Genovese family in this light is entirely unsurprising.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Southshore88
Straightened out

Post by Southshore88 »

eboli wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:25 am
Southshore88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:44 am Great to have you contributing and sharing such insight here Eboli. I came across one of your previous posts, the 1990 Genovese chart. Thought it would be helpful with connecting the dots as there is a brief history for each of the crews included. (Link: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8609)

1. Regarding Springfield - the crew could've been active earlier than we know, but we don't have the info, and the feds didn't either. As far as I could find - the earliest information on Cufari as capo is from the late 1960s. I haven't researched the topic in detail, though.

2. Louis Gatto inherited the crew from Pete 'Lodi' LaPlaca in the late 1970s. LaPlaca took over as official captain shortly after Eugene Catena's death from cancer in 1967. Initially, Tommy Pecora was Catena's direct successor, but he either stepped down or served only in an acting capacity for a couple of months.

3. Ianniello and Ardito's crews are off-shoots from the Miranda split. Ianniello was under Tony Sheikh; Ardito under Celano. The Malangone Crew is the Gus Frasca crew and already existed when the Miranda crew got disbanded.

4. We can trace the lineage of the Generoso crew to the mid to late 1960s. Not much info. Vincenzo Generoso was part of Tommy Licata's illegal operations in the late 1940s, but it's unknown when he got made, and if he was under Licata. Mikey Dimino took over in the 1970s.

5. The Gangi crew was the former Mogavero crew, headed by Joe Lapi in the early 1970s. My opinion is that by 1963 Mogavero was a skipper who split from Pellegrino, but even if he wasn't, by the late 1960s, he was 100% a captain.
Thanks for the quick turnaround, all of that makes sense to me. Appreciate it Eboli!
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:50 pm
Antiliar wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:00 pm The origin of the Springfield crew goes back to Carlo Sinischalchi, followed by Antonio Miranda. Whether they were made members or if they were, ranking members, is unknown.

The Justin Cascio post is very interesting. I was just starting to look into the background of some of these Springfield people to see where in Calabria and Campania they hailed from. I think it’s very notable that Braciglianesi were a key component, as I believe that Bracigliano and the surrounding area was a stronghold for the Camorra in the Naples hinterland. This is timely, as you’re aware, given that I just posted on the Outfit-connected Albano family in Chicago, who were from Bracigliano as was Pasqualina Albano of Springfield. Two current major Chicago members — Mike Sarno and Solly DeLaurentis — both have ancestry from Bracigliano. Given the fact that the core of what became the Springfield crew was composed of immigrants from Reggio Calabria and Bracigliano/Avellino, I believe that the roots of this crew go back to Camorra influences predating their formal induction into LCN; their affiliation with the Genovese family in this light is entirely unsurprising.
Worth noting that Quindici, Avellino borders Bracigliano on one side and Lauro on the other. Lauro was were the Mazzochis in Newark and the Del Ducas in BK were from. Today, the Bracigliano/Quindice Camorra (Graziano clan) operates also in Lauro.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

eboli wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:18 am Pietro Campisi (the grandad) was made in Sicily. He relocated to the Vailsburg section of Newark in the 30s and made his bones in America, too. He was a suspected Genovese member.
Can you post the source that says he was made in Sicily? Or the source who mentioned he "made his bones in America"?

That is very specific info so I'd love to see, thanks.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

B. wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:10 pm
eboli wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:18 am Pietro Campisi (the grandad) was made in Sicily. He relocated to the Vailsburg section of Newark in the 30s and made his bones in America, too. He was a suspected Genovese member.
Can you post the source that says he was made in Sicily? Or the source who mentioned he "made his bones in America"?

That is very specific info so I'd love to see, thanks.
John P. Tully talks about it in his testimony after he flipped. He was an enforcer and drug dealer for the Campisi group.

5332.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Awesome -- thanks for sharing.

Despite their notoriety there is a lot of mystery to the Campisis.