Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by Angelo Santino »

I sarcastically said it but turns out, yep, the Gens have their share of Siggies.

Joseph Agone Joe Curly
6/30/1913
NYC
299 Stockton St, Brooklyn, NY
Silvio Agone Cimmina "
Marie Galore" Cimmina

Anthony Albanese Tony Katz
4/19/1911
NYC
60 Catherine St, New York City, New York
Philip Albanese Porto Empedocle
Petrina Beatrice Triana Porto Empedocle

Philip Albanese Phil Katz
11/7/1907
NYC
1108 Philip Court Valley Stream, Long Island, NY
Philip Albanese Porto Empedocle
Petrina Beatrice Triana Porto Empedocle
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Nicholas Aldarelli Nicky Allen
1/23/1915
Asbury Park, NJ
131 Borden Ave, Ashbury Park, NJ
to Ralph Altarelli from Arienzo?

and mother Orsala. She arrived married to Ralph who died, she remarried James Mauro who was 10 years her junior. Not sure we're able to find her background.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Could the FBI have mistaken Alfonso Attardi for "Alfonso Allardi?"
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Dominick Alongi, born 4/17/1927 according to the FBI.

SSDI lists a
NAME: Dominick Joseph Alongi
RACE: White
BIRTH DATE: 17 Apr 1926
BIRTH PLACE: N Y, New York
DEATH DATE: Mar 1980
FATHER: Joseph Alongi
MOTHER: Rose Philipaso

1930 Census shows a
Samuel Alonzo 31 Head
Antonette Alonzo 26 Wife
Rose Alonzo 8 Daughter
Joseph Alonzo 7 Son
Dominick Alonzo 3 Son

1940 Census shows a
Antionette Alongi 37 Head
Rose Alongi 18 Daughter
Dominick Alongi 12 Son
Arrived back from NO in 1935

I'm not seeing a Joseph Alongi married to a Rose in NY or NOLA, there is one Domenick with a father named Joseph in NO but he was born in 1913.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:57 am
nash143 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:28 pm This version of the chart shows why Rosario Mogavero was absent.
I just seen this post now, Thank you!

So those guys were under Mogavero/Pellegrino? Eboli, you have Mogavero and Pellegrino as two separate crews by 1963? Who would these guys be with?

Joseph Agone
Anthony Albanese
Ottilio Frank Caruso
Michelino Clemente
George Filipone
Joseph Lapi
George Nobile
Michael Spinella
Joseph Agone - Mogavero
Anthony Albanese - Mogavero
Ottilio Frank Caruso - Movavero
Michelino Clemente - Mogavero
George Filipone - Mogavero
Joseph Lapi - Mogavero
George Nobile - Carillo
Michael Spinella - Miranda until 1957

I did a chart on the Greenwich Village Crew in 1964. The only difference compared to 1963 would be Fiore Siano, who was still active: download/file.php?id=8621&mode=view

I'll check the crew affiliation of the rest of the soldiers in your first post when I have some free time, and I'll note if I find discrepancies.

- - - -

Dom Alongi's family background is a bit of a mess, but he had multiple cousins in the NOLA area. It's a big reason why the Genovese used him as an emissary to Marcello. He was very active in Louisiana and South Florida. I had trouble tracking his family history. I'm attaching info I shared with HK some time back:
The Sam Alongi listed in Louisiana in the 1940 census and his kids is the Salvatore Alongi that's supposed to be Fat Dom's uncle and NOLA member, not the father. This Salvatore 'Sam' Alongi (1886-1968) didn't leave Louisiana since he got off the boat in the 1900s. In 1910 he was in his father Domenico's household, after that he got married and in 1920, 1930, 1935, and 1940 were listed as the head of his own household. His firstborn was Dominick Joseph Alongi (1912-1987), who was listed as an auto mechanic by 1940. Everything else is in line with the feds' information, though. The wife's name was Antonia Catherine Monzu, and she went by Antoinette or Catherine in early paperwork.

Fat Dom was born on April 17, 1927, in New York and died on March 30, 1980, in Miami. He and his sister Rose are supposed to be born in NYC before the family moved to Louisiana. Records from the time he did in Rykers in the mid-1940s also say he was born in NYC. In 1958 he got married to Catherine Perino in NYC, which is also the spouse on the fed's list. Here's their entry from the 1940 census, Mother listed as Antoinette Alongi, born in Italy circa 1903, married, living alone as the head of the household with her two kids at 165 Spring Street after relocating from Louisiana. Both kids born in New York. I can't find them in the 1930s census, or any other earlier listing, though.

ext/dmzx/imageupload/files/9f8873e454bb ... 6ad59e.png
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Marciante it looks like but that doesn't exist.

Marcallo con Casone
Marcaria
Marcedusa
Marcellina
Marcellinara
Marcetelli
Marcheno
Marchirolo
Marciana
Marciana Marina
Marcianise
Marciano della Chiana
Marcignago
Marcon
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

eboli wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:32 am
Thanks.

Some names may need to be deleted. There was a "Jimmy Alto" listed which I think the FBI was referring to Jimmy Alo and didn't know it was the same person. Alfonso Allardi seems like it might be Attardi to me.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:25 am Nicholas Aldarelli Nicky Allen
1/23/1915
Asbury Park, NJ
Yes, Arienzo, Caserta. Matches the distribution of the Altarelli surname.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:07 am
1/23/1915
Asbury Park, NJ
You're a gangland Yoda!
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:23 am
1/23/1915
Asbury Park, NJ
You're a gangland Yoda!
Lol.

Who’s the person you’re looking for in relation to “Marciante”?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Selig
On Record

Post by Selig »

Updated the first post on this thread with the capo additions and divided the soldiers into crews, if you guys wouldn't mind looking it over, if members should be moved or you know which crew someone was in that'd be great.

Generosa Del Ducca died 1960. I believe Funzi Tieri took over from him, assuming Delduca hadn't retired previously.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:16 am
Chris Christie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:23 am
1/23/1915
Asbury Park, NJ
You're a gangland Yoda!
Lol.

Who’s the person you’re looking for in relation to “Marciante”?
Fred Amarosa
3/10/1923
Brooklyn, NY
Guiseppe/ Joseph Amorosa/Amerosa/Amaroso
Nunziata Pisani
Gloria Rignola
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:31 am
Thanks.

Some names may need to be deleted. There was a "Jimmy Alto" listed which I think the FBI was referring to Jimmy Alo and didn't know it was the same person. Alfonso Allardi seems like it might be Attardi to me.
Jimmy Alto is Jimmy Altomari who was a capodecina at this time according to JD.

From the earlier post:
By the late 1950s Lapi and Agone were both formally inducted Genovese members in the Lower Manhattan crew headed by Vincenzo 'Jimmy Alto' Altomari.

Following Altomari's death in 1964, Lapi reported to Rosario 'Saro' Mogavero.
Also the Noto in the Catena crew was Dr. Philip Noto, I corrected it after posting the list. His brother Daniel Noto was also a made member who transferred to the DeCavalcantes but I believe he was still in the Genovese Family at this time, not sure which crew.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

B. wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:32 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:31 am
Thanks.

Jimmy Alto is Jimmy Altomari who was a capodecina at this time according to JD.

From the earlier post:
By the late 1950s Lapi and Agone were both formally inducted Genovese members in the Lower Manhattan crew headed by Vincenzo 'Jimmy Alto' Altomari.

Following Altomari's death in 1964, Lapi reported to Rosario 'Saro' Mogavero.
Also the Noto in the Catena crew was Dr. Philip Noto, I corrected it after posting the list. His brother Daniel Noto was also a made member who transferred to the DeCavalcantes but I believe he was still in the Genovese Family at this time, not sure which crew.
Regarding Danny Noto's: transfer
Between 1963 and 1964, he met several times with Dr. Philip Noto of 121 Prospect Street, Passaic, New Jersey. Noto was Passaic's health officer and a soldier in the Genovese crime family. Around 1963, Philip Noto sought Catena's help to transfer his brother Daniel 'Danny' Noto. Danny was a mafia soldier in a New York-based crew who wanted to relocate to New Jersey, but Tommy Eboli and his unnamed captain were apprehensive. Catena somehow resolved the dispute satisfyingly for all parties.

Dr. Philip Noto's association with Catena didn't end there. Jerry used him as a messenger when Eugene Catena wasn't available. Noto was the principal contact with the DeCavalcante crime family administration.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Noto was one of the most unlikely Genovese members, fascinating guy.

His obit:
Dr. Philip Noto, a member of the medical and surgical staffs of Passaic General, Beth Israel, and St. Mary's hospitals, all in Passaic, died on Wednesday December 19, 1984, at the age of 81. He was a Verona, NJ resident, and formerly of Passaic.
Born in Sicily, Dr. Noto was a 1927 graduate of the University of Bologna Medical School. He came to this country in 1929, and served his residency at the New York University Medical Center.
He was a physician for the City of Passaic from 1950 to 1960 and was the city's health officer from 1955 to 1975. He was made a diplomate of the International College of Surgeons in 1947.
He was the founder and medical director of the International Longsoremen's Association-New ork Shipping Association (ILA-NYSA) Joint Medical Facility at Port Newark, NJ.
Dr. Noto was named "Man of the Year" in 1978 by the Passaic chapter of UNICO, and served on the board of directors of the Passaic-Clifton Boy's Club. He was a member of the Passaic Elks Lodge, the Clifton YMHA, the Passaic YMCA, and Boys Town of Italy.
Predeceased by his son, Joseph W. Noto in 1957, he was survived by his wife, Nancy Borea Noto; two sons William Noto (of Maplewood, NJ) and Dr. Philip Noto (of Woodbridge, CT); a daughter, Angela (Noto) Crocenzi (of Montclair, NJ); three brothers, Lawrence of Italy, and Daniel and Joseph, both of Hackensack, NJ; a sister, Carmela (Santoro) Cantarella, of Syosset, NY; and 10 grandchildren.
A funeral mass was held in Immaculate Conception R.C. Church in Montclair, NJ followed by burial in Calvary Cemetery in Paterson, NJ. Arrangements were handled on behalf of the family by Caggiano Memorial Home in Montclair, NJ.
26-year-old with a medical degree when he first came here from Sicily and devoted himself to his career yet became a Genovese member.