Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Post by Eline2015 »

stevan tod
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by stevan tod »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:46 am Found him. Peter married a Gugielmini which connects that family, his father was Francesco, DOB: c. 1895 who died in 1948. Does that sound right?

Last guy is Joe Ox, what town in Sicily does his people hail from? Maybe B. or Bronx knows?

Once that is covered, I'll add "no photos" to the guys (200 or so) that we don't have photos of, send it over to Michael DiLeonardo who may be able to correct some of it. Same goes for the 80's which is wrapping up. Once he gives it his christening I'll post it.

This isn't just a chart, alot of work and research went into it. If Soliai wants I can do a heavily watermarked copy for release (smaller res) here and it could be sold on a Black Hand Store as a higher res poster. I don't need the money or even a percentage, it all can go into furthering this "forum of ours" but I will use my real name and I would like the credit for the work that went into it on my end alongside the others. Up to you, Soliai.
If you need photo of Benny Terranova i can send one. Not sure who was the first poster, but i will look at my notes. If this is going to be for sale, Iam gonna buy one you can bet.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Should definitely consider selling a high-res version of the chart. Would make a great addition to those Youtube podcast studios instead of the same old Capone and Gotti headshots.

--

Other Castellana info:

- Frank Castellana's daughter married Leo Giammona who joined the Lucchese Family. Giammona was related to the Gambino-Castellana clan in Palermo as we know. Frank's wife was a Masotto, like the Gambino members from this faction.

- The Guglielmini connection goes back deeper, as Joe Castellano's mother was also a Guglielmini. Not surprised Peter Castellana married an extended relative.

- Do we know Frank's exact relation to Joe Castellano? They weren't brothers like people used to believe, Frank's father was Alessandro (like son Alex) and Joe's father was Paolo. Would guess Alessandro and Paolo Castellana were brothers but don't know for sure.

- Onofrio Castellana was ID'd as a Palermo member in the Sangiorgi report, lived not far from Uditore / Passo di Rigano. Father was Matteo, not sure if/how he connects to these but they're from the same area.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

An extensive family tree needs to be one on this clan.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I'm going to include FBI #'s. Where can I acquire them aside from the fbn book? HK, do you have them? If not, no worries. I'll add what I can.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Mary Ferrell is the best place for FBI numbers. That and any files on the FOIA section of the FBI website, and FBI files uploaded to the Internet Archive.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Ok, I'm going through adding occupations and wives and I'm glad I am because I came across an error regarding the Barattas.

There's 2 listed as members-
Peter Baratta Petey Bull 12/23/1911

Michael Baratta Mikey Bull 12/25/1906

I'm not finding a Michael Baratta born in 1906 that fits. For one, Peter's middle name is Michael.
baratta1.PNG
Listed bros are Anthony, John and Frank.

This lists Anthony, Michael and Thomas as his brothers.
baratta2.PNG
And this
baratta3.PNG
Only match for 1906 is John, I wonder if Peter and Michael are the same person?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Was Frank Butch Miceli inducted into the crime family during this time? Vinnie Teresa talks about him in his book as being a New Jersey mobster in his book.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36735642/daily-news/ This article from the Daily News describes him as a reputed Gambino lieutentant
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:04 am Ok, I'm going through adding occupations and wives and I'm glad I am because I came across an error regarding the Barattas.

There's 2 listed as members-
Peter Baratta Petey Bull 12/23/1911

Michael Baratta Mikey Bull 12/25/1906

I'm not finding a Michael Baratta born in 1906 that fits. For one, Peter's middle name is Michael.

baratta1.PNG
Listed bros are Anthony, John and Frank.

This lists Anthony, Michael and Thomas as his brothers.
baratta2.PNG

And this

baratta3.PNG

Only match for 1906 is John, I wonder if Peter and Michael are the same person?
Confusing. It looks like Peter´s second name was Michael but when looking in SSDI, the Peter Baratta found with that DOB has J as middle initial. On top of that, a Michael Baratta is listed in 1988 as a Gambino member:

Baratta, M.png

Says this Michael Baratta was born in 1904.

It appears that Peter Baratta was known to be in partnership with another individual (just not sure who that individual was but LE says Michael) and they went by the name of "The Bull Brothers". So I took a look in the 1940 US cencus and found a Michael Baratta living in same building as Peter (the address was 400 110th Street, East Harlem). This Michael was born ca 1904 (which could be the one in the snippet I posted above in this post). The conclusion of all this could be that they were actually cousins, and not brothers.

Baratta, M 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There you have it, never printed before.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

davidf1989 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:50 pm Was Frank Butch Miceli inducted into the crime family during this time? Vinnie Teresa talks about him in his book as being a New Jersey mobster in his book.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36735642/daily-news/ This article from the Daily News describes him as a reputed Gambino lieutentant
No. If Miceli was made, he must have been made much later. He made the blunder of using Carlo Gambino´s name when intimidating victims which caused Gambino a lot of headache. As a result of this, Gambino was indicted in an attempted armored car robbery case which he of course had nothing to do with.

Miceli however was a serious dude. It´s alleged that he, with Frank Basto, was killing people for Joseph Paterno and the Gambino Family.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:16 am
davidf1989 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:50 pm Was Frank Butch Miceli inducted into the crime family during this time? Vinnie Teresa talks about him in his book as being a New Jersey mobster in his book.

No. If Miceli was made, he must have been made much later. He made the blunder of using Carlo Gambino´s name when intimidating victims which caused Gambino a lot of headache. As a result of this, Gambino was indicted in an attempted armored car robbery case which he of course had nothing to do with.

Miceli however was a serious dude. It´s alleged that he, with Frank Basto, was killing people for Joseph Paterno and the Gambino Family.

Thanks Hairy Knuckles for your message and this is what Vinnie Teresa said about Miceli's operation in his book on p. 205
'Miceli and Basto had a fantastic operation going. Their squad had ten men in it and they got a regular five hundred bucks a week, but that was only a fraction of what they made. They had the best counterfeit business going in the country. There wasn't anything Miceli and his gang couldn't provide. They printed phoney postage stamps, passports, drivers' licenses, stock certificates, and cash like it was confetti. New Jersey is the biggest center of counterfeiting in the country. Not only that, but in New Jersey you could buy just about any kind of gun you wanted from Miceli's group.'

Is the armoured car robbery that you are referring to the one where Lerner and Manocchio were indicted according to the article below?

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/9449627 ... home-news/
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

davidf1989 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:26 am
HairyKnuckles wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:16 am

Thanks Hairy Knuckles for your message and this is what Vinnie Teresa said about Miceli's operation in his book on p. 205
'Miceli and Basto had a fantastic operation going. Their squad had ten men in it and they got a regular five hundred bucks a week, but that was only a fraction of what they made. They had the best counterfeit business going in the country. There wasn't anything Miceli and his gang couldn't provide. They printed phoney postage stamps, passports, drivers' licenses, stock certificates, and cash like it was confetti. New Jersey is the biggest center of counterfeiting in the country. Not only that, but in New Jersey you could buy just about any kind of gun you wanted from Miceli's group.'

Is the armoured car robbery that you are referring to the one where Lerner and Manocchio were indicted according to the article below?

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/9449627 ... home-news/
Yes, that´s the case.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Thanks for your explanation Hairyknuckles and according to the article below. Miceli had a Boston background having grown up in Medford. It feels that strange that a Boston man can join the Gambinos in New York. rather than the local Mafia.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/9471323 ... li-part-1/

Here is a letter from Miceli below to the judge pleading for leniency.

https://aliciapatterson.org/stories/my-favorite-mobster
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Thanks for the links Dave. Very interesting.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:23 am Thanks for the links Dave. Very interesting.
I am glad that you liked the article Hairyknuckles.

It feels a bit implausible that Carlo Gambino would be involved with robbery of an armored car.