Born in the Life: Gene Borrello the Story of an Ex-Bonanno Family Mafia Enforcer

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Re: Born in the Life: Gene Borrello the Story of an Ex-Bonanno Family Mafia Enforcer

Post by nizarsoccer »

sdeitche wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:35 pm
nizarsoccer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:53 am
sdeitche wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:35 am
Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:04 pm Simple. Because nobody cares about the mob anyone. It is very small niche interest. None of these guys are getting book offers now like the guys in the 1970s-1990s.

Pogo
Mickey Scars was asking wayyy too much for his story. This was back in 2015ish. Suspect some of the others the same.
Not sure if you can delve into details, but who do you think is the most likely to actually agree and write their life story?
I don't think there is any shortage of ex-wiseguys who want to write their stories, but I don't think many of them realize how little they would get as an advance unless they were some super high-profile name. I've heard of some wanting six figures. THat's hilarious, unless, again you were high profile. But at the stage, not many high-profile mobsters out there to tell their story.
Wow that's depressing to hear and the clock is ticking at the really interesting guys like Frank Lino or even witness that turned a while ago like Carmine Sessa.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Born in the Life: Gene Borrello the Story of an Ex-Bonanno Family Mafia Enforcer

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:21 pmYour dreaming, The mob barely gets any coverage today. This last big Comlobo bust got like what, 3 online articles? Maybe a few seconds on local tv if that? Nobody cares anymore. You can count on two fingers the amount of time the mob got any national coverage in the last 10 years and even then it was scant coverage compared to what they were getting in the 1950s-early 1990s.
Generally I agree. There aren't any mobsters that are household names today. The news will cover mob busts but they come and go pretty quickly. Mob cinema had a bit of a renaissance with The Sopranos and what not but eventually mob movies will end up like old westerns.

The one exception is when Frank Cali was killed. That was national and international news. The feds had a long press conference. Of course this was all before we found out what happened. But for as long as it lasted the media was salivating at the idea of a mob boss getting hit. But that obviously rarely happens nowadays.
All roads lead to New York.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

So whats the main reason gene flipped for in his book does he say? Is he humble like yaeh i didnt want to do 20yrs for all the dirt i did to impress bonanno soldiers
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

What was the charges. I remember a crew of genovese guys were doing the home invasion thing they got big numbers like 15 think one guy was chins nephew. They were gonna rob the oc chooper guy
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:06 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:21 pmYour dreaming, The mob barely gets any coverage today. This last big Comlobo bust got like what, 3 online articles? Maybe a few seconds on local tv if that? Nobody cares anymore. You can count on two fingers the amount of time the mob got any national coverage in the last 10 years and even then it was scant coverage compared to what they were getting in the 1950s-early 1990s.
Generally I agree. There aren't any mobsters that are household names today. The news will cover mob busts but they come and go pretty quickly. Mob cinema had a bit of a renaissance with The Sopranos and what not but eventually mob movies will end up like old westerns.

The one exception is when Frank Cali was killed. That was national and international news. The feds had a long press conference. Of course this was all before we found out what happened. But for as long as it lasted the media was salivating at the idea of a mob boss getting hit. But that obviously rarely happens nowadays.
Imo it's what the current events that week or day even. It's a 24 hr news cycle. I remember Frank Cali was all over the news-twitter,front page print everywhere for a few days then it quickly died out. This gabby girl missing I don't Cali would of gotten as much coverage.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pmac2 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:15 pm What was the charges. I remember a crew of genovese guys were doing the home invasion thing they got big numbers like 15 think one guy was chins nephew. They were gonna rob the oc chooper guy

That was Prisco's crew.
All roads lead to New York.
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

I’m reading the book and some of the quotes are unintentionally hilarious

Also it’s insane how many times they tried to kill Chris Cognata
RamshackleMan
Straightened out

Post by RamshackleMan »

I believe some guys out there, if they were willing to work with a writer, could command a nice advance. Massino (if
he's still alive), Tommy Karate, Amuso. Not six figures, but respectable 5-figures.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Think john martarano got 25 or 50k. victims were outraged. Again thats not to much. Sammy the bull set the bar he got like 250 or 500k it probaly made some money. Bet little al probaly got like 20k. I bet the books dont sell well
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Phil leonetti im guessin 25k
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

Found an interesting tidbit in the book where he mentions extorting a plumber working as a shy for Joe Amato to get back a loan from Ronnie g Amato had run a way from. Definitely Thomas Scorcia
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

Just finished the book and it’s a massive disappointment

He straight up plays up Pasquale and Hootie which where nobodies compared to the guys he delt with. His whole gripe was Ronni G not proposing him for membership and when he got arrested for shit he was hiding from Ronnie G
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Dave65827 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:28 pm I’m reading the book and some of the quotes are unintentionally hilarious

Didn’t they try like three different times? 😂
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Can someone give me a link to this book. I bang out the cliffnotes
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

slimshady_007 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:31 am
Dave65827 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:28 pm I’m reading the book and some of the quotes are unintentionally hilarious

Didn’t they try like three different times? 😂
Amattucio-the kid who shot Cognata got charged with murder which idk how that is not self defense if someone comes into your home with a gun demanding money for a drug deal.