John Pennisi Sighting / Sit Down News

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Boston+matt14
Honorary Member

Re: John Pennisi Sighting / Sit Down News

Post by Boston+matt14 »

Pmac2 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 am I don't get why some of the scarfo young guys all got like 40 45 yrs also back in the 80tys but they all kinda back around. That guy faffy joe chang
Faffy, the Narduccis, and Ligambi all got years knocked off their sentences due to the Frankie Flowers murder convictions being overturned on appeal.
"Where's our Al Sharpton?" -Anthony Borgesi
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

That was a seperate case from their Rico case.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Teddy Persico
Straightened out

Post by Teddy Persico »

IIRC the murder charge was a state charge separate from their RICO trial.

"Under the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984, Congress eliminated parole for federal defendants convicted of crimes committed after November 1, 1987. But while federal prisoners can no longer look forward to parole release, they may nevertheless earn reduced terms for good behavior.
The way you talk, you just confuse him.
RamshackleMan
Straightened out

Post by RamshackleMan »

mafiastudent wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:30 am I'm surprised no one here has commented on Pennisi's latest literary post about that Chicago guy. Pretty insightful stuff, no?
I'm always lowering the bar for him, I'm sure, because he comes from a world not renowned for elegant
expressiveness, but I like Pennisi's writing. Usually. It's rudimentary but effective enough.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Boston+matt14 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:34 pm
Perhaps but didn't Gene have a big loan book that was still being collected for him while he was away? If he came home to a nice chunk of change after serving 29 years maybe the temptation to get involved again wouldn't be as high.
It’s his family it’s his friends it’s his culture it’s all he knows.
Gabagool718
Straightened out

Post by Gabagool718 »

johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:33 am
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:01 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:32 am He’s probably out there earning and enjoying the respect he’s earned in prison but a rank above soldier just doesn’t seem logical.
My guess is inactive. He gets caught jaywalking hes back inside for another 12 (he was released in 2018). 12 years is a long time at his ago. He'd be daft to take the risk.
My opinion.
You’re thinking makes complete sense to normal humans but you have to think like a gangster. He just did 30 years for the life, he’s not going to come home and abandon it.
the admin really should of really took care of him nicely nobody does what he did especially now. Guy took 30 years on the chin for the family They should show the younger generation if you take a pinch the admin is going to reward you hansomely. When you come out you get a top spot get handed some lucrative rackets and a nice fat envelope. If not what incentive do these guys have?
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

Considering how Michael Franzese said his dad only got what was owed to him and was basically left in prison to rot and die during the height of the mob is the perfect example. You don’t get money for standing up as in theory that’s what you’re supposed to do. Bet the Sicilians can give fuck all about Gene Gotti I bet he’s sitting on his couch talking to his remote to turn on Netflix

Bottom line these guys are fucking gangsters not rational people
These guys probably look for every opportunity to cut Simeon out of their money
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thoughts on the current leadership's attitude toward the Gotti faction:

- Frank Cali and Lorenzo Mannino both had/have reps for bridging a gap between the American members and the Sicilian faction, which is why I think they've been so important for the last 10 years. John Gotti praised Lorenzo Mannino on the Ravenite tapes for being a cross between the American gangsters "like us" and the Sicilians under John Gambino. The Stefanelli tapes, DiLeonardo's comments, Pennisi's comments etc. all paint a picture of Mannino as someone who isn't looking to make enemies. I don't know about Cefalu but he has remained quiet despite being publicly named as acting boss for almost a decade.

- It wasn't Sicilian greenhorns making a powergrab, but a balanced transition away from the Gotti era and Cali/Mannino had the perfect qualifications. I see Jackie Nose as the start of this. Sicilian heritage, captain of an old time Palermitano crew that supervised the Sicilian faction in the 90s, and when he became AB he had Domenico Cefalu as acting underboss and Frank Cali as a messaggero. D'Amico was a close friend of John Gotti, too, so it had the appearances of a "Gotti pick", but it's clear now that D'Amico gave the Sicilians a huge amount of power and paved the way for what we're seeing now.

- John Gambino joins the panel after D'Amico's arrest and by 2010 on the Stefanelli tapes we hear Peter Gotti is a non-entity with a title and the family is under the influence of the Sicilian and Corozzo factions. That alliance goes back to at least the 1990s, when the Corozzo faction approached Michael DiLeonardo wanting him to petition the Gottis to give John Gambino his captain position back, which they did. Nick Corozzo and Lenny DiMaria are by all accounts sharp minds, so they probably saw the future political potential of teaming up with the Sicilians. If nothing else, they had a common interest in removing the Gotti influence and sure enough that's what played out.

- The dumbest thing the Gambino leadership could do is ostracize the old Gotti faction. Peter Gotti is dead, Junior all but flipped and is making another shitty movie, and a lot of the old Bergen crew is gone. Gene Gotti and John Carneglia are two of the most respected members from that old crew but they're 30+ years off the street. The situation couldn't be more ideal for the Sicilian and Corozzo factions, or whoever else is powerful now. All they have to do is show Gotti/Carneglia a basic level of respect and it's a win/win for everyone.

- We all saw how hungry the media was to speculate that Gene Gotti killed Frank Cali and they had zero evidence for it. You know who else saw it? The Gambino leadership. If Gene Gotti is involved in so much as a sitdown, you are going to have CIs chomping at the bit to report it to their handlers. Everyone Gene Gotti associates with has a "get out of jail free card" if he wants to flip because of the Gotti name. First, I doubt the admin wants to abuse and disrespect Gotti, but they wouldn't risk it anyway given the massive publicity that could come from even the smallest argument with Gotti.

That said, people in the mafia sometimes do stupid stuff, but I have to believe the only reason the admin has a problem with Gotti is if he starts causing serious problems on his own.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Also Stefanelli said it was Nick Corozzo who got Philadelphia recognized by the Gambino family again.

So we have Corozzo:

- Getting the Gotti admin to reinstate John Gambino.

- Getting the Gambino family to recognize Philly again.

Then in 2010 we have John Gambino representing the Gambino family in a big meeting with the Philly family. It's clear at the meeting there are close ties between the Corozzo crowd and Philly, as Eric Esposito married into the Corozzos and Al Trucchio talks about having socialized with many of the Philly members before.

Really interesting picture that's emerging. We have Corozzo and the Sicilians working together and also strengthening old ties to other families (Philly, Palermo). We can see that the political moves Nick Corozzo made earlier have had a long-term impact.
don-shunter
Straightened out

Post by don-shunter »

So nick corozzo was boss all along since 2005 😂. Just joking I still remember the arguments on the old forum. But seriously it shows you why dimaria was close to the gambino bros in felices party pics and how highly respected nick is. But why then was jojo removed as consigliere, was this a comprise?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I don't know much about the Corozzos but my understanding is JoJo Corozzo was deeper in the Gotti faction, while Corozzo and DiMaria were more of an independent faction. I have no clue what the relationship is between the Corozzo brothers beyond that, but could be a factor. The recording DiLeonardo made suggests JoJo Corozzo was the power behind Pete Gotti when he took over.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Also here is what I think, pure speculation:

Domenico Cefalu (like Vernace) was close to the Corozzos but as we know he is also a Palermitano who came up under Patsy Conte (seated with the Torretta/Passo di Rigano guys at the Bono wedding).

I think Cefalu has been acting boss in part because he has common ground with the two factions (Sicilians and Corozzo) said to be influencing the family for the past 10+ years.

Maybe it will come out that he was much more aggressive and dominant than we realize, but the way it looks to me is Cefalu is more of a neutral party two of the leading factions can agree on.
Ravens410
Straightened out

Post by Ravens410 »

Is Eric Esposito on the street? I know he was picked up a couple years ago.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Wait, why did Pennisi post a write-up on Murray Humphreys? Lol, did he just finish reading Gus Russo’s book or something? Either that or Pennisi decided to summarize Humphreys’ Wikipedia page.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Ravens410 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:34 am Is Eric Esposito on the street? I know he was picked up a couple years ago.
He got out in 2017
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'