Inter-family cooperation on hits

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Charlie
Straightened out

Re: Inter-family cooperation on hits

Post by Charlie »

According to Gentile the murder of Dominick Didato was done in close collaboration between the Luciano and Mangano Family in august 1936, right after Luciano was sentenced.

Dapper_Don
Straightened out

Post by Dapper_Don »

falco wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:55 am
thekiduknow wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:44 pm
Amershire_Ed wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:21 pm The Hoffa murder (depending on whose theory you believe).

I also think there are rumors that Vinny Asaro went along with the Gambinos that killed the young couple that was knocking off social clubs in the early 90s. They caught them and put half a dozen bullets in their head on Christmas Eve ‘92.
I’d have to go back and read it, but I think Massino talked about that in his testimony. I believe it was Patty DeFilippo and maybe Anthony Donato who killed them.
the uva's were killed by skinny dom pizzonia and ronnie one arm
yep. when you read massino's testimony he says he was pissed at defilippo and donato for lying about the murder, he found out the gambinos killed the uvas in a sitdown with junior gotti, sal vitale was there as well and massino kicked sal under the table to be quiet when Jr was claiming credit for the hit. massino later confronted defilippo about it and he was always leery about it, he steered clear for the most part of donato, when basicano attempted to bring donato along/around in latter years massino always remembered that. when massino was busted with basicano and they were locked up together donato was on a list of names of guys who were made by vinny while he was running the fam, at that point massino didnt really care about who was being made for the most part as he was busy with his trial
"Bill had to go, he was getting too powerful. If Allie Boy went away on a gun charge, Bill would have took over the family” - Joe Campy testimony about Jackie DeRoss explaining Will Bill murder
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

Thanks guys some great examples here! I just thought of one potential one: when Dutchie Avicolli was disappeared by the Philly fam, wasn't it a Jersey-based Genovese member (or possibly associate) that dug the hole? Not sure if that was actually sanctioned by the Genovese family though so it might not really count.

In that same vein there was a failed murder conspiracy when Pete Caprio colluded with some Genovese members to whack Joe Ligambi and a couple others to take over the family.
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

Dapper_Don wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:48 am
Amershire_Ed wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:21 pm The Hoffa murder (depending on whose theory you believe).

I also think there are rumors that Vinny Asaro went along with the Gambinos that killed the young couple that was knocking off social clubs in the early 90s. They caught them and put half a dozen bullets in their head on Christmas Eve ‘92.
I’d have to go back and read it, but I think Massino talked about that in his testimony. I believe it was Patty DeFilippo and maybe Anthony Donato who killed them.
yep. when you read massino's testimony he says he was pissed at defilippo and donato for lying about the murder, he found out the gambinos killed the uvas in a sitdown with junior gotti, sal vitale was there as well and massino kicked sal under the table to be quiet when Jr was claiming credit for the hit. massino later confronted defilippo about it and he was always leery about it, he steered clear for the most part of donato, when basicano attempted to bring donato along/around in latter years massino always remembered that. when massino was busted with basicano and they were locked up together donato was on a list of names of guys who were made by vinny while he was running the fam, at that point massino didnt really care about who was being made for the most part as he was busy with his trial
If I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't that DeFillipo had lied but rather that Donato had lied to him taking credit for the murders and Patty just reported it to Massino. When DeFillipo found out that Donato was lying he went to Massino and asked for permission to kill him, which was granted. Massino said that Patty cooled down and clearly didn't want to follow through with the murder so the contract was cancelled.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

Not sure if it counts as direct coordination in the actual murder, but Detroit requested the murder of Nick Miller by Pittsburgh and the Mannarinos killed him in 1957.

And Nick Ditta of Detroit was caught on tape telling stories about being involved in murders in Youngstown in the early sixties.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Hired_Goonz wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:57 am

If I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't that DeFillipo had lied but rather that Donato had lied to him taking credit for the murders and Patty just reported it to Massino. When DeFillipo found out that Donato was lying he went to Massino and asked for permission to kill him, which was granted. Massino said that Patty cooled down and clearly didn't want to follow through with the murder so the contract was cancelled.
Whoops, my bad I got it all mixed around, thanks guys for clearing it up
Dapper_Don
Straightened out

Post by Dapper_Don »

Hired_Goonz wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:57 am

yes it was donato who had claimed credit for the hit and patty had told that to massino. i read this the other day, if i remember correctly in the court transcript im pretty sure it was massino who went to patty after the gotti jr sitdown. But your right its semantics doesnt matter in the end they all went to jail/flipped anyway lol
"Bill had to go, he was getting too powerful. If Allie Boy went away on a gun charge, Bill would have took over the family” - Joe Campy testimony about Jackie DeRoss explaining Will Bill murder
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Hired_Goonz wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:54 am In that same vein there was a failed murder conspiracy when Pete Caprio colluded with some Genovese members to whack Joe Ligambi and a couple others to take over the family.

A Gambino member (Tony Proto) was also in on that plot.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Hired_Goonz wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:54 am Thanks guys some great examples here! I just thought of one potential one: when Dutchie Avicolli was disappeared by the Philly fam, wasn't it a Jersey-based Genovese member (or possibly associate) that dug the hole? Not sure if that was actually sanctioned by the Genovese family though so it might not really count.
From my research I suspect that Genovese associate was Stefano Mazzola

viewtopic.php?p=129949#p129949
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

B. wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:02 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:07 pm The murder of Philly Capo Johhny Keys Simone was a collaboration between Philly, Cleveland and the Gambinos. Cleveland (through John Tronolone) aided in the set up and the Gambinos carried it out.
The Frank Stillitano murder involved some of the same people from Philadelphia and the Gambinos, too. I don't remember who did what.
If I'm remembering correctly the suspects identified in the Stillitano murder were Martorano, John Berkery and a third man who I think was a cop or detective. When Martorano talked to Sonny Riccobene about how many murders he had been involved in he said there were five and listed off Bruno, McCullough, Steve Bouras and John Calabrese before Riccobene cut him off. So Stillitano was likely the fifth one.

That was a reverse of the Simone situation where the Philadelphia guys handled it themselves as a favour to the Gambinos. I believe it was Leonetti and Merlino who told investigators about the suspects.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
JakeTheSnake630
Straightened out

Post by JakeTheSnake630 »

When Gotti's son was hit and killed, he had some Providence guys with the Patriarcas help make the neighbor disappear. Also didn't Patriarca Sr send Nicky Bianco and maybe some others to assist in the Gallo-Profaci war? I know Ray was called on for a few favors from various NY families.
If nobody sees it, it didn't happen.
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

JakeTheSnake630 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 am When Gotti's son was hit and killed, he had some Providence guys with the Patriarcas help make the neighbor disappear. Also didn't Patriarca Sr send Nicky Bianco and maybe some others to assist in the Gallo-Profaci war? I know Ray was called on for a few favors from various NY families.
Richie Gomes was one of the Patriarca's who took part in that murder allegedly. I think he was prison buddies with Gotti.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:29 am When Martorano talked to Sonny Riccobene about how many murders he had been involved in he said there were five and listed off Bruno, McCullough, Steve Bouras and John Calabrese before Riccobene cut him off. So Stillitano was likely the fifth one.
Hey man thanks for clearing that up. I always wondered who the fifth mysterious Long John hit was. Friel doesn't speculate on it at all when he mentions the Mario incident in his book, or even comment on it. He just mentions Martorano getting cut off after the fourth one but doesn't say anything about it. Weird.

I like how Martorano articulated "I helped kill Bruno" just by saying "Angie was no good."
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Adam wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:52 am And Nick Ditta of Detroit was caught on tape telling stories about being involved in murders in Youngstown in the early sixties.
Not necessarily inter-family cooperation; Detroit had a cell there in the form of Frank Cammarata and his guys and they may have done it all on their own. There were at least four families in the Youngstown area at various points in time (Pittsburgh with Mallamo, Cleveland with Tony Dope, Detroit with Cammarata, and Buffalo with DeCarlo, for example). Ditta probably had to clear their hits with the other families there though. Or maybe not. Youngstown was an absolute mess in the early sixties: hits all the time, multiple families fighting over the territory, little boys getting launched by car bombs, etc. The "multiple families" problem blew up again around 1980 with the Naples-Carabbia War (power grab by Pittsburgh against a fading Cleveland; about 10 people were killed).

Apparently there's an entire book about the Detroit cell: https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Cammarata- ... B078LX9KRQ

The Mob Museum here had Frank Cammarata's gun on display one time when I went there. :lol:
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Eugenio Giannini a lucchese soldier in the heroin trade and inforner was killed by Joe Valachi.