Bulger's Letter to a High School Girl: 'My Life Was Wasted'

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

brianwellbrock
Straightened out

Re: Bulger's Letter to a High School Girl: 'My Life Was Wast

Post by brianwellbrock »

The Scarfo quote was in the book. The info about him not being pleased with his uncle was in maryferrel. This goes back to my theory on why Scarfo went to AC after he got out of jail.

In Phils book he says pretty much after Scarfo got out of jail in 64 he moved in with the family in AC.Nothing about a banishment. But another FBI doc from 63 I believe quoted how Scarfo drove from Philly to AC everyday for work. So I guess it only makes sense he gets out of jail a year later and decides to just live in AC.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

brianwellbrock wrote:Yeah people born before 1935 all seem to only like baseball but they probably hate it to an extent gradually ever since 1947.

And yeah Scarfo is truly one of a kind who stuck to his guns. Not to sound like a fan boy he you have to admire his dedication to his chosen field and accepting his fate. If he does max out Id like see a Leonetti reality show where he reuinites with him.
Leonetti's book IMHO was about 25% truth...He never was and never will be even "somewhat" credible.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
brianwellbrock
Straightened out

Post by brianwellbrock »

Leonetti was very credible IMO other than when it came to emotions like how he felt about Salvi Testa being murdered and the likes.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

brianwellbrock wrote:Leonetti was very credible IMO other than when it came to emotions like how he felt about Salvi Testa being murdered and the likes.

We could agree to disagree. I have the trial transcripts from the Chucky Porter RICO trial in Pittsburgh where Leonetti was called as a prosecution witness and he never came across as honest. In fact, retired federal prosecutors in Pittsburgh said they wouldn't have recalled Leonetti to the stand if the trial was a hung jury or mistrial. My personal opinion is that after reading his book, I have trouble believing that guys like Gigante, Amuso, Massino etc took Phil Leonetti seriously after being elevated to Underboss by the time he was 28. Phil makes himself sound like he was received very well by some of the more senior leaders in OC at the time. My two cents
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

A lot of his info on the structure and operations of the Philly family is very credible. He does try to blame his uncle for everything, but on the other hand he was raised in a household without a father, just an uncle who thought about nothing but cosa nostra 24/7 and taught him that a man proved himself by his ability to kill. I can't say what that's like having never been in that situation.

Also, Leonetti was nearing his mid-30s by the time he was underboss. He was only underboss for a very short time.
brianwellbrock
Straightened out

Post by brianwellbrock »

JCB1977 wrote:
brianwellbrock wrote:Leonetti was very credible IMO other than when it came to emotions like how he felt about Salvi Testa being murdered and the likes.

We could agree to disagree. I have the trial transcripts from the Chucky Porter RICO trial in Pittsburgh where Leonetti was called as a prosecution witness and he never came across as honest. In fact, retired federal prosecutors in Pittsburgh said they wouldn't have recalled Leonetti to the stand if the trial was a hung jury or mistrial. My personal opinion is that after reading his book, I have trouble believing that guys like Gigante, Amuso, Massino etc took Phil Leonetti seriously after being elevated to Underboss by the time he was 28. Phil makes himself sound like he was received very well by some of the more senior leaders in OC at the time. My two cents
I mean when it came down to events that unfolded and the structure like B says. Now when it comes to Benny eggs praising him or Gotti complimenting him and Massino getting close to him in prison is another thing, and he probably does embellish. The one problem I have with the Gotti meeting was that meetimg would havehad to of taken place after April when Deccico was killed because he says Gravano was UB at the time which we know is falae. And if im right Gotti had his bail yanked not too long after. With all the. Chaos going on after that hit plus fighting a case himself meeting some out of town mobsters would seem far back on the agenda.
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

JCB1977 wrote:

Gigante, Amuso and Massino never met him and he never claimed anything different about that. If you have something different where he claimed that he met these guys then it would be interesting if you could post it.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I do believe Leonetti had the support of Bobby Manna and by extension the Genovese family. Scarfo apparently checked with them to make sure they supported Leonetti's promotion. This is believable because Scarfo had also checked with them about demoting the Merlinos.
brianwellbrock
Straightened out

Post by brianwellbrock »

I saw a report where I believe in 84-85 Scarfo, Leonetti, The Merlinos and I think Pingitore and Frank Narducci al went to Castellanos house. Anybody else know what Im talking about?

I would love to see some surveilance shots of Scarfo and Leonetti in NY.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

brianwellbrock wrote:I saw a report where I believe in 84-85 Scarfo, Leonetti, The Merlinos and I think Pingitore and Frank Narducci al went to Castellanos house. Anybody else know what Im talking about?

I would love to see some surveilance shots of Scarfo and Leonetti in NY.
In 1984 Scarfo, Leonetti, Nick Piccolo, Larry Merlino, Blackie Napoli, Joe Scalleat, and Santo Idone went to Staten Island for a sitdown with Paul Castellano, Neil Dellacroce, Frank DeCicco, Sammy Gravano, Tommy Bilotti, Mike Mandaglio, Nicky Russo and Joe Farinella. There were two reasons for the meeting, one of which was a problem between Jack Parisi, who was a Hazleton-based Philly soldier like Scalleat who reported to Idone, and Mandaglio. Parisi was originally a New York guy with the Gambino family before he went on the lam and joined the Philly family. The other reason for the sitdown was because Rosario Gambino had beaten up a bar owner in AC who was with the Philly family and there was a lot of tension between their people down there.

Not sure if that was held at Castellano's house, but I don't think so since that's a lot of guys and the house was under heavy surveillance. I don't know about a meeting with Pungitore and Narducci (I assume you mean Joe and Frank Jr.), but it could have happened as Scarfo met with Castellano several times and seemed to take some random guys with him probably so that they could be introduced to NY members as amici.

There was another meeting I know about where Scarfo and Leonetti met with Castellano in 1980 to pass the Johnny Keys contract to the Gambino family, which as we know was fulfilled by Gravano and crew. The Philly family killed Frank Stillitano in Trenton as a favor to the Gambinos during the same period and it was carried out by Long John and John Berkery. Stillitano had tried to kill Nicky Russo and killed Russo's son Mikey. Nicky Russo was a Trenton-based soldier in Toddo Aurello's crew who was very close to the Philly family and had attended Bruno's son's wedding in the early 60s. After Stillitano was killed Scarfo and Leonetti went to a funeral on Staten Island where they met with Castellano and told him.

A lot of the meetings between Scarfo and the Gambinos were in AC, same thing when Bruno was boss. In 1977, Paul Castellano came down to South Jersey to meet with Angelo Bruno at Valentino's, which was owned by the Sicilian Gambino brothers, and the Gambino brothers were part of the discussion. It was to discuss slot machines in AC.

More than you asked for but you know once I get rolling...
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

I love it when he pretends to be "sad" in interviews, that shit is fucking hilarious. He's gotta be the worst actor I've ever seen.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Ivan wrote:
B. wrote: I've never seen anything to indicate Scarfo had any real hobbies or interests outside of the life.
He seems to have been a big Casablanca fan. Other than that, I can't think of anything.
I wonder how he feels about Philly sports teams?
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Scarfo didn't care about sports and considered athletes "jerkoffs".

maybe he liked baseball. he had that picture or something at scarf inc. that said you had to touch base at home or something. meaning always keep the boss in the loop i guess
Mikey_Palmice88
Associate

Post by Mikey_Palmice88 »

How did a thread about Whitey Bulger writing an articulate, poignant letter to a high school student about his wasted life of crime turn into a thread about Nicky Scarfo fans getting hot and heavy over Nicky Scarfo?

I'm kind of surprised.

Bulger doesn't sound like an absolute unrepentant moron, like Gotti & Scarfo.
Eddie mush
Straightened out

Post by Eddie mush »

Who says gotti was a moron ?? I obviously can't jsitify this but I read John gotti scored a 140 on a iQ test while locked up . 140 is pretty high well above average
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Eddie mush wrote:Who says gotti was a moron ?? I obviously can't jsitify this but I read John gotti scored a 140 on a iQ test while locked up . 140 is pretty high well above average
Gotti’s IQ was nowhere near 140. That was just a myth by Gotti’s following, according to Capeci. Or was it Raab?

Anyway, credit Bulger for at least being honest with himself in the end and admitting the truth. Gotti went to his grave thinking he was some kind of hero and Scarfo is still sitting in his cell believing he's the one that's been screwed over in life.
All roads lead to New York.