Bulger's Letter to a High School Girl: 'My Life Was Wasted'

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Charlie
Straightened out

Bulger's Letter to a High School Girl: 'My Life Was Wasted'

Post by Charlie »

JUN 29, 2015 @ 4:13 PM

Whitey Bulger has regrets. That much is clear from a handwritten letter the 85-year-old former mobster sent to a high school student in Lakeville, Massachusetts, several months ago. Brittany Tainsh, one of several teenagers working on a school project around the idea of "leadership," wrote to Bulger this past winter asking him to reflect on his own (admittedly troubled) legacy. From his federal prison cell in Sumterville, Florida, Bulger sat down at 1:10 a.m. with a pen and a sheet of loose leaf and, however briefly, let his mind wander. Here's a full transcription of the letter, courtesy of The Boston Globe (emphasis ours):

Feb. 24, 2015

1:10 a.m.

Hello, Brittany:

I'm sorry but I can't help you with your school project — There are many people more deserving of your time and interests. I'm a myth created by the media to help them generate Revenue and to hurt a relation because they didn't appreciate his independence and daring to support an agenda they opposed.

May I suggest you and Molly create a website about the heroic service men of Mass. that are patients in, for instance, Walter Reed Veteran Hospital — good men isolated from society due to war wounds — life for some in pain and loneliness — hearing from school girls that care would do wonders for their morale and recovery.

Don't waste your time on such as I — we are society's lower, best forgotten, not looked to for advice on "Leadership". I'm a 9th grade dropout from school and took the wrong road — my brother 5 years younger applied himself in school and worked hard and spent 40 years in Mass State House and retired and was the President of Mass Senate in State House for second term and President of U. Mass after Retirement. Had 9 children all college graduates and 4 lawyers among them. A Better Man than I.

My life was wasted and spent foolishly, brought shame and suffering on my parents and siblings and will end soon — Advice is a cheap commodity some seek it from me about crime — I know only thing for sure — If you want to make crime pay — "Go to Law School."

Brittany Best of Luck in the future to you and Molly and Michaela.

Sincerely James Bulger

Come September, Bulger will be the subject of what looks like the next great mob movie, Black Mass. He'll be played by Johnny Depp.
123JoeSchmo
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Bulger's Letter to a High School Girl: 'My Life Was Wast

Post by 123JoeSchmo »

While I do not condone Bulger's life of crime and the many people that he hurt along the way, the advice given in this letter is exemplary. Maybe he feels bad, maybe he doesn't. But I think he is smart enough to realize that no one should desire to end up like him.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He doesn't think like John Gotti, I'll give him that.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

I much prefer Nicky Scarfo's letter to Mafioso over on the Real Deal, most of which consisted of him thanking Mafioso for not trying to talk to him about religion. :mrgreen:
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ivan wrote:I much prefer Nicky Scarfo's letter to Mafioso over on the Real Deal, most of which consisted of him thanking Mafioso for not trying to talk to him about religion. :mrgreen:
Truly a classic. You couldn't make up a more Scarfo style response than that letter.

I think Nicky Santora also wrote back saying not to contact him again or something, right? Must be bizarre to be a lesser known guy like that and get fanmail. Sure he's mentioned in Donnie Brasco a lot, but he's not exactly a celeb gangster.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

"I leave religion to the women and the children." - Nicky Scarfo

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote:"I leave religion to the women and the children." - Nicky Scarfo

Pogo
That's it. Hahaha.

He is filled with great quotes all around.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: He is filled with great quotes all around.
Indeed.

"I love this. I love it."

"I hope the rats in the sewer eat the eyes out of his fuckin head."

"Thank god for the American jury system, and an honest jury."

"I'm going to send him back to Philly in six garbage bags, two for his arms, two for his legs, one for his torso, and one for that big stupid Irish head of his."

"(Prison food) takes a while to get used to, but you eat anything that doesn't get up from the plate and walk away."

etc. etc.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

"I'm like the tortoise, I always get there."
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Truly a classic. You couldn't make up a more Scarfo style response than that letter.
What cracked me up was it was a thank-you note for a friggin' Christmas card - and he STILL couldn't resist saying something totally badass halfway through it. :lol:
I think Nicky Santora also wrote back saying not to contact him again or something, right? Must be bizarre to be a lesser known guy like that and get fanmail. Sure he's mentioned in Donnie Brasco a lot, but he's not exactly a celeb gangster.
I must have missed that one. I always wondered what Santoro thought of the movie showing him being whacked, and then sawed up by none other than Joe Pistone himself.

Mafioso is dead, by the way. Pancreatic cancer. R.I.P.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, I remember him passing. He was a character.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote:Yeah, I remember him passing. He was a character.
He was nuts but entertaining.

Just for the hell of it, I am considering sending Scarfo an Xmas card before he dies (assuming he isn't actually immortal).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ivan wrote:
B. wrote:Yeah, I remember him passing. He was a character.
He was nuts but entertaining.

Just for the hell of it, I am considering sending Scarfo an Xmas card before he dies (assuming he isn't actually immortal).
Do it! I wouldn't normally advocate for contacting these guys except in this case.

I've never seen anything to indicate Scarfo had any real hobbies or interests outside of the life. I wonder how he feels about Philly sports teams?
brianwellbrock
Straightened out

Post by brianwellbrock »

I believe Leonetti made a mention on Scarfo hating football. I would imagine he hates basketball like most people his age.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

brianwellbrock wrote:I believe Leonetti made a mention on Scarfo hating football. I would imagine he hates basketball like most people his age.
"Brown ball", as a senior citizen pal of mine would say.