New Orleans.

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: New Orleans.

Post by Antiliar »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:35 am Great list. What year is it from? Thanks.

Pogo
It was made for the Kefauver Committee in 1950/51.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks. 8-)

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great list.

As it is the FBN, it is difficult to measure the accuracy of membership but would be great to map out the DOBs/DODs. It at least shows who was involved in and around the group at the time even if not all were members.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

In line with Joe Colombo's 1968 statement to Scarpa about the New Orleans family having only 5 total members remaining, Valachi estimated to the FBI in 1962 that New Orleans had 7 to 10 members. I don't know if he heard this from someone or was blindly guessing, but his number fits surprisingly well with the Scarpa info.
Orzan
Prospect

Post by Orzan »

5 members make a family without a doubt, what I'm not so sure about is if they form a criminal family. :D
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Orzan wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:02 am 5 members make a family without a doubt, what I'm not so sure about is if they form a criminal family. :D
in sicily yes
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

scagghiuni wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:17 pm
Orzan wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:02 am 5 members make a family without a doubt, what I'm not so sure about is if they form a criminal family. :D
in sicily yes
My understanding was that in Sicily you need ten members minimum to have a viable family?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:20 pm
in sicily yes
My understanding was that in Sicily you need ten members minimum to have a viable family?
that was buscetta said, but there were examples of families with less made members
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:20 pm
in sicily yes
I believe it's a minimum of ten members to form a Family. Once a Family exists it continues to exist officially until it's either absorbed by another borgata or until the last man standing passes away.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:07 pm DiLeonardo told me something interesting, that in the year leading up to his arrest (2002) he was invited by another Gambino to meet some members visiting from another city which he unfortunately didn't attend. That city- New Orleans. So that Family is at least 150 years old as of 2000. He doesn't know any further details he did say he thinks they are all "probably related, like Detroit."

Joseph Gagliano and Dominick Gullo were arrested a few years back.

Gravano recollected speaking to New Orleans in the 1980's.

Ancient history, Gullo and Gagliano seem like familiar surnames in regards to that city. Antiliar would be the foremost expert on it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/obits.revi ... =196005577
Looks like Dominick Gullo passed away this year
Sounds like him and he was known for poker tourney or connecting players
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Tonyd621 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:07 pm DiLeonardo told me something interesting, that in the year leading up to his arrest (2002) he was invited by another Gambino to meet some members visiting from another city which he unfortunately didn't attend. That city- New Orleans. So that Family is at least 150 years old as of 2000. He doesn't know any further details he did say he thinks they are all "probably related, like Detroit."

Ancient history, Gullo and Gagliano seem like familiar surnames in regards to that city. Antiliar would be the foremost expert on it.
Interesting! I still wonder why the hell he and Gagliano built that assassin van. Makes no sense, especially considering how the NOLA family has long been defunct.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

stubbs wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:01 pm
Tonyd621 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Interesting! I still wonder why the hell he and Gagliano built that assassin van. Makes no sense, especially considering how the NOLA family has long been defunct.
Maybe it was for sno balls!
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Dominick Gullo died recently. He was arrested a couple years back in that “hitman van”

https://obits.reviewjournal.com/us/obit ... OhU1NUArd8
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Just noticed it was already posted. Disregard
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Don't want to turn the Buffalo thread into a New Orleans thread, so let's continue here.
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:15 pm
B. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:52 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:36 pm Also we have discussed this before but the 5 New Orleans members left in 1968 info is almost certainly incorrect.
We did discuss it before and if anyone is interested they can read point-by-point why you have little basis for challenging Scarpa and Colombo's claim that NO had 5 members in 1968:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6536
It is not little basis when we can name more than 5 living members in 1968. ;)
You've got to let go of that "suspected member" list you've been holding onto. You can review this thread to see where we found the source of it. The FBI said themselves it was pure guesswork because they didn't have a New Orleans member source who could identify members beyond Marcello.

The FBI was able to identify 6 members using member sources outside NO, but two of them had been permanently deported years earlier and one of them had been deported and came back to the US where he resided in NYC. It's unlikely all three of those men were still considered NO members, especially Frank Coppola who is believed to have joined the Sicilian mafia upon return there.

That leaves three or four confirmed members in New Orleans and for that matter the state of Louisiana.

I recognize you're probably just messing with me. Hopefully you haven't let something personal get in the way of your usual objective willingness to update your notes and lists.