Fifteen Philadelphia Family Members and Associates Indicted

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Fifteen Philadelphia Family Members and Associates Indicted

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Was Capeci incorrect about Licata as Consigliere? Here is what I posted earlier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources say that during the ceremony, Mikey Lance introduced Joseph (Scoops) Licata as the crime family's consigliere to the newly inducted wiseguys, who included Salvatore (Sonny) Mazzone, the underboss's younger brother, who was also hit with racketeering charges.

This is new info. The detention memo lays out ML as the Street Boss and JL as the Consigliere but didn't specifically say that either were at the 2015 making ceremony. So I'm assuming Capeci's sources had access to the Persiano tapes of the ceremony where Lancelotti introduced Licata as the Consigliere.
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:47 pm Was Capeci incorrect about Licata as Consigliere? Here is what I posted earlier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources say that during the ceremony, Mikey Lance introduced Joseph (Scoops) Licata as the crime family's consigliere to the newly inducted wiseguys, who included Salvatore (Sonny) Mazzone, the underboss's younger brother, who was also hit with racketeering charges.

This is new info. The detention memo lays out ML as the Street Boss and JL as the Consigliere but didn't specifically say that either were at the 2015 making ceremony. So I'm assuming Capeci's sources had access to the Persiano tapes of the ceremony where Lancelotti introduced Licata as the Consigliere.
We have Scoops saying the admin belongs in Philly and he's fine with being a capo... In the end, time will tell.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

But that was 5 years prior to that. Pat Martirsno didn't want the UnderBoss job either but he eventually took it.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm But that was 5 years prior to that. Pat Martirsno didn't want the UnderBoss job either but he eventually took it.

Pogo
If it comes out in this recent case that Scoops is Consig that settles it. But if Capeci is wrong are you ready to admit he's not infallible and that holding Scott to higher standards than Capeci is unreasonable?

Hope all is good otherwise, Salut.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I've never claimed that Capeci is always right 100% right or that Scott is always 100% wrong. Still it is funny how Scott seemingly gets a pass from some people despite everything that has been pointed out.

Pogo
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I wouldn't take Licata's comments from 2010 too seriously. Frank Sindone was recorded talking about wanting to retire to a ranch, then a few years later was in the middle of a violent power struggle to control the family.

What's he going to say in front of a bunch of guys? "You know what, I've had my eye on an administration spot." One of the best ways to get promoted in the mafia is to pretend you don't want it, not to whine to the boss about it like Ralph Cifaretto:

Tony: I'm promoting GiGi.
Ralph: Noooooooo!

(I'm sure Pogo can give us the proper quote, haha)

One thing that comes through on the Stefanelli tapes is that Licata is in love with the mafia. He loves everything about it... gushing about names, ranks, history. Hard to imagine him saying no to everyone's favorite rank, consigliere.

--

On another note, it really does seem like Philly flips administration spots around. While I don't know if all the gossip of ruling panels was true, they for whatever reason seem to switch up the admin.

In 2010, it came out of the indictment that Joey Merlino was boss, Ligambi was underboss/acting boss, and Mazzone was consigliere. Joe Licata may have been consigliere in 2015, while Ligambi has since (?) taken the position. Mazzone is now underboss, a position he was once believed to have held before his indictment 20 years ago.

Would be interesting to see an attempt at an accurate succession chart from the last twenty years.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Seems like ligambi was close to scoops. Probaly recommended him when he wanted to retire from the day to day. Merlino seems to get along well with him to.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:10 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm But that was 5 years prior to that. Pat Martirsno didn't want the UnderBoss job either but he eventually took it.

Pogo
If it comes out in this recent case that Scoops is Consig that settles it. But if Capeci is wrong are you ready to admit he's not infallible and that holding Scott to higher standards than Capeci is unreasonable?

Hope all is good otherwise, Salut.
I think Scott doesn't get enough credit. However his latest article about Philly titled "Five Guys, Buttons, and Bolognese..." is just repeated what Capeci and Schratweiser said. All three of them are saying the same thing on their sites. They are quoting each other and the context is the same.
West Coast1
Straightened out

Post by West Coast1 »

Has there ever been any info on Malgeri? or a picture
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Putting a lot of stock into a throwaway statement from a guy who doesn't report Philly but once a year. These guys aren't hard to find. Joe Licata isn't the JL hanging out in a bar downtown at 11 sitting at Joey's right when he's in town, talking quietly, as guys who come see Joey give him the brief what's what.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

dack2001 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:09 am Putting a lot of stock into a throwaway statement from a guy who doesn't report Philly but once a year. These guys aren't hard to find. Joe Licata isn't the JL hanging out in a bar downtown at 11 sitting at Joey's right when he's in town, talking quietly, as guys who come see Joey give him the brief what's what.
Grande is has a bail hearing on Monday. But they failed to mention that. They all say he will be in there for the holidays.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 pm I've never claimed that Capeci is always right 100% right or that Scott is always 100% wrong. Still it is funny how Scott seemingly gets a pass from some people despite everything that has been pointed out.

Pogo
I wasn't saying you did, if it came across that way my apologies. It just seems that in general, people forgive Capeci for his errors while Scott is taken to task for his and has been accused of making stuff up for relevance which I don't agree with. Both men have their strong and weak points.

I have my disagreements with Scott, I think disagreements are healthy and I'd rather debate someone rather than be told how right I am all the time. We should always be learning and open to fresh perspectives. I think that's why you and I get on so well, we can disagree while respect where the other is coming from.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

To Capeci's credit, he walks things back and admits he's wrong. He did that with Crea and Cefalu.

Not saying Scott won't similarly admit his mistakes, just pointing out that Capeci is willing to correct the record which is one reason he's been the man so many years. He's also willing to take people to task for spreading bullshit. He was great on that old Charlie Rose show confronting a hack author.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:49 pm To Capeci's credit, he walks things back and admits he's wrong. He did that with Crea and Cefalu.

Not saying Scott won't similarly admit his mistakes, just pointing out that Capeci is willing to correct the record which is one reason he's been the man so many years. He's also willing to take people to task for spreading bullshit. He was great on that old Charlie Rose show confronting a hack author.
But when it came time to pull the trigger in the Andy hit, he pussied out at the last minute.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ivan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:58 pm But when it came time to pull the trigger in the Andy hit, he pussied out at the last minute.
Oh don't get me wrong. Jerry Capeci has been dead to me since he dropped the ball on Ask Andy. He said "Hey Andy" right before he shot and the bullet only grazed Andy's head, Costello-style. That's not a mistake I forgive.