40 years since John Favara disappeared

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Boston+matt14
Honorary Member

Re: 40 years since John Favara disappeared

Post by Boston+matt14 »

Boston+matt14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:55 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:04 pm Really it was the Gotti family who was most at fault for the accident. Who lets a 12 year old ride a motorcycle through the streets of NY? He shouldn't have been on it to begin with but on top of it he was unsupervised and not wearing a helmet.

Pogo
To be fair, the Gotti family didn't get him the motorcyle. He borrowed it from Kevin McMahon, the street urchin that John Carneglia adopted, while he was out playing one day. Gotti Sr. never liked seeing McMahon around from that point forward, as you might imagine.
Although, after several years, Gotti seemed to forgive Mahon after he helped fix the jury in the Diane Giacalone prosecution.
"Where's our Al Sharpton?" -Anthony Borgesi
JMAN723
Straightened out

Post by JMAN723 »

Boston+matt14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:55 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:04 pm Really it was the Gotti family who was most at fault for the accident. Who lets a 12 year old ride a motorcycle through the streets of NY? He shouldn't have been on it to begin with but on top of it he was unsupervised and not wearing a helmet.

Pogo
To be fair, the Gotti family didn't get him the motorcyle. He borrowed it from Kevin McMahon, the street urchin that John Carneglia adopted, while he was out playing one day. Gotti Sr. never liked seeing McMahon around from that point forward, as you might imagine.

That’s true it was McMahon that gave him the bike but it’s tough to ever take the word of the Gotti. Just look how they have painted Favara as a monster to justify his death. Junior Gotti to his credit is the only Gotti that hasn’t bashed Favara and even said he liked the family
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

Reading through this seems like Gotti's wife was instrumental in pushing for eye for eye justice.
https://af11.wordpress.com/2011/06/19/s ... thers-day/
JMAN723
Straightened out

Post by JMAN723 »

axx wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:07 am Reading through this seems like Gotti's wife was instrumental in pushing for eye for eye justice.

True. Even the daughter basically admits she wanted him dead which shows how vindictive they really are . But honestly I think Gotti always planned on killing him he just had to wait so he would have a solid alibi
Ozgoz
Straightened out

Post by Ozgoz »

Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:31 pm Lol at not feeling sympathy for Favra. So if someone shows up at your house, asks for all of your money, you resist and they kill you, I shouldn't feel sorry for you? That's one of the dumbest answers I've ever read on this board and that is saying a lot.
Obviously (?), I was SPECIFICALLY referring to the fact that he didn’t run quick enough, which was moronic, to say the least. I’m sure just him getting away first would’ve been fine, then the rest of his family soon after.

I then said below, in the same post, it (obviously) was a horrible tragedy for both families.

You’ve done that thing where you become triggered, then lose all reading comprehension skills for anything that follows. Which I’m surprised at because you don’t usually come across as low intelligence.

Your scenario is totally different and so completely irrelevant.
WHHAAT MUUUYDAAAAH???????
Ozgoz
Straightened out

Post by Ozgoz »

JMAN723 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:03 pm
Ozgoz wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:58 pm
JMAN723 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 am
Ozgoz wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:03 am I think Gravano (maybe DiLeonardo, but I think Gravano) said that he was warned and told to get out of town.

If he was warned and he didn't run, then you're asking to be killed. If I were him I would've stayed in the car and driven to the other side of the country, so not much sympathy for him.

Terrible for the family, both families, horrible tragedy.

As for John Gotti's moral compass - what do you expect.

He did put his house up for sale and was nearly out of town so your post doesn’t really make sense. He had a family. You can’t just get up and run like that. You see it in the movies but this is real life. He had kids, a job, and needed to find a new place to live...it takes a little time So you don’t have sympathy for him just because he didn’t drop everything and run?
That’s my view yes. And it’s proved correct because he’s dead.

Well it’s not as cut and dry as that. But anyway thank You for the dark weird take 😂
I probably have a bad habit in that I often only think in absolutes. It happens as you get older and more miserable.

I don’t see what’s dark or weird about it, more factual lol.

Anyway I’m sure we’ve all got better things to do then talk about this in much more detail.
WHHAAT MUUUYDAAAAH???????
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Ozgoz wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:41 am
Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:31 pm Lol at not feeling sympathy for Favra. So if someone shows up at your house, asks for all of your money, you resist and they kill you, I shouldn't feel sorry for you? That's one of the dumbest answers I've ever read on this board and that is saying a lot.
Obviously (?), I was SPECIFICALLY referring to the fact that he didn’t run quick enough, which was moronic, to say the least. I’m sure just him getting away first would’ve been fine, then the rest of his family soon after.

I then said below, in the same post, it (obviously) was a horrible tragedy for both families.

You’ve done that thing where you become triggered, then lose all reading comprehension skills for anything that follows. Which I’m surprised at because you don’t usually come across as low intelligence.

I think you could have worded it a little bit better. I just don't think it's fair to Favra as the victim.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

The murder of Favara actually pisses me off a little; Frank Gotti was stupid enough to pull out in front of him on that mini bike, but Favara and his family had to suffer for it.Then that scumbag family had the nerve to badmouth him after he paid for a crime he didn't commit.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
JMAN723
Straightened out

Post by JMAN723 »

Snakes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:52 am
Ozgoz wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:41 am

I think you could have worded it a little bit better. I just don't think it's fair to Favra as the victim.

Agreed
JMAN723
Straightened out

Post by JMAN723 »

Ozgoz wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:47 am
JMAN723 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:03 pm
Ozgoz wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:58 pm
JMAN723 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 am
Ozgoz wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:03 am I think Gravano (maybe DiLeonardo, but I think Gravano) said that he was warned and told to get out of town.

If he was warned and he didn't run, then you're asking to be killed. If I were him I would've stayed in the car and driven to the other side of the country, so not much sympathy for him.

Terrible for the family, both families, horrible tragedy.

As for John Gotti's moral compass - what do you expect.

He did put his house up for sale and was nearly out of town so your post doesn’t really make sense. He had a family. You can’t just get up and run like that. You see it in the movies but this is real life. He had kids, a job, and needed to find a new place to live...it takes a little time So you don’t have sympathy for him just because he didn’t drop everything and run?
That’s my view yes. And it’s proved correct because he’s dead.

Well it’s not as cut and dry as that. But anyway thank You for the dark weird take 😂
I probably have a bad habit in that I often only think in absolutes. It happens as you get older and more miserable.

I don’t see what’s dark or weird about it, more factual lol.

Anyway I’m sure we’ve all got better things to do then talk about this in much more detail.

How is it the truth? Plus if you don’t want to talk about it fine. But others might seeing that this was a well known incident involving a well known mobster
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

I mean sure he should not have been riding in the street, but maybe Favara wasn't paying attention or was speeding so you cant say he was completely innocent in the matter.

A kid died, the life isn't worth any less because it was Gotti's child imo.
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

axx wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:07 am Reading through this seems like Gotti's wife was instrumental in pushing for eye for eye justice.
She probably was. And i remember reading somewhere Gotti wasn't going to kill him if not for her pushing. But IDK if I believe that or not, he did have a guy killed for not coming to see him when called so it wouldnt be far fetched he would be vengeful after this happened.

Most non mobsters would probably feel the same way though. Imagine how you would feel if it was your kid.
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
JMAN723
Straightened out

Post by JMAN723 »

Fughedaboutit wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:33 pm I mean sure he should not have been riding in the street, but maybe Favara wasn't paying attention or was speeding so you cant say he was completely innocent in the matter.

A kid died, the life isn't worth any less because it was Gotti's child imo.
Who said his life was worth any less? We all agree It was a tragedy that a kid died. But it was also a tragedy that a man died over a simple accident. He wasn’t speeding. Frank Gotti literally darted our from behind a large dumpster at the very moment Favara was passing it. It was more bad luck than anything
Lefty_Ruggiero
Straightened out

Post by Lefty_Ruggiero »

It is a bit of blame on both sides, Gotti and Favara.

Anyone have a picture of Favara? I found one that may be him, but don't know for sure.
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

They truly were scumbags - using seven (7) bastards to kill one man:
nother mob associate who died last week was Richard "Redbird" Gomes, an admitted participant in the revenge slaying of John Favara, a Queens man who killed John Gotti's 12-year-old son in a tragic car accident. Gomes died of natural causes in his hometown of Providence, R.I. He was 73.

Gomes met and befriended Gotti in the 1960s, when both were small-time hoods doing time at the federal prison in Lewisburg, Pa. A photo of the late Dapper Don was on a wall in Gomes's apartment, where two of his nieces found him dead, police said.

The friendship blossomed, so much so, Gomes told cops in 1989, that he performed an act of supreme loyalty for the up-and-coming mobster in July 1980 by teaming with seven other Gotti crew members to kill Favara. It was Gomes who personally notified Gotti that the dirty deed had been done, according to documents obtained by Gang Land.

At the time Redbird told Providence police about the Favara killing, he was facing 40 years for murder and planning to cooperate. Gomes said he had clubbed Favara with a 2-by-4 and helped toss him into a blue van that the hit team used to abduct him outside his office in New Hyde Park, Long Island.

Gomes said the gang also used two cars in the murder plot, disposing of Favara's body and crushing his car in Brooklyn, so no evidence would ever be found. Gomes later regretted his confession and tried to recant, but authorities believe his account was accurate, though no one was ever charged in the slaying.

Released from prison a year ago, Redbird had been using cocaine and drinking heavily of late, according to Rhode Island State Police, who told Gang Land that the abuses likely contributed to his death.

Gomes, whose first arrest was at age 12 for breaking into a freight train in Providence, spent 50 years in reform school and prisons for crimes ranging from desertion to murder.

"Inside [prison], he was a somebody, but outside he was a nobody," Major Steven O'Donnell of the Rhode Island State Police said. He added that most members of New England's Patriarca family avoided Redbird following his release from prison.

His drug use and his propensity for violence were contributing factors, but there's little doubt he was shunned primarily for his brief fling as an informer about the Favara killing.

"They didn't trust him," Major O'-Donnell told Gang Land. "They were leery about him because of the allegations that were written about him and the publicly filed documents that outlined his contacts with law enforcement."