Current Colombo rackets

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

gohnjotti
Full Patched

Re: Current Colombo rackets

Post by gohnjotti »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:55 pm Why does pogos chart say Tommy shots gets out in 2024
Because Thomas "Tommy Shots" Gioeli is scheduled for release on May 2, 2024.
EDIT: Okay, I wanted to be a smartass and leave it at that, but I'll give some context. It was '08 that Gioeli was arrested, when he went to trial he received a split verdict - guilty of racketeering conspiracy including murder conspiracy predicates, but not guilty of any actual murders. Gioeli was sentenced to 224 months in prison in 2014, just shy of the maximum. That's 18.6 years. He will only serve 16 years due to automatic parole, or whatever the legalese is. I read somewhere that being housed at a remand center like the Brooklyn MDC counts as double prison time, but I have no idea if that's accurate. I know that the harsh conditions of the Brooklyn MDC have repeatedly been used in the defendant's' favour.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Curious when the was the last Colombo hit? The 2003 shooting of Joe Campanella? The last murder in 1999 with Cutolo? They be the family that has gone the longest without a hit.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:01 pm Curious when the was the last Colombo hit? The 2003 shooting of Joe Campanella? The last murder in 1999 with Cutolo? They be the family that has gone the longest without a hit.

Pogo
The 2001* shooting of Campanella. Yeah, a full 19 years ago, lol. Since then, there have been no murders that have gone beyond the "conspiracy" stage. But there have been plenty of those. Off the top of my head, I can think of John Franzese giving Chris Curanovic approval to whack his brother's suspected killer (and a detailed hit planned by Curanovic) in around '07 (IIRC), Mickey Souza's planned assassination of Hector Pagan in '06 that looked like it was about to go the full mile until the feds put the kibosh on it. We've got Teddy Persico's alleged murder conspiracy of George Fanelli in '04, as well as further discussions of murder by Teddy from '08-'10, including one discussion in which Teddy told informant Steve Marcus that he was seeking approval from Michael Persico on some hits.
EDIT: Murder conspiracy against Nicky Lanza too, but I don't know anything beyond a general murder conspiracy against Lanza that was cited in court papers. I don't know who was planning the hit itself, but the common link to Lanza and the rest of the Colombos is through Nicky Rizzo and Tommy Gioeli's crew, who were incredibly powerful during this timeframe (early '00s). Lanza's house was also firebombed twice.

This is just off the top of my head, I know there are more murder conspiracies that get a bit more dubious. Like, for instance, John Franzese apparently authorized John Gotti Junior's murder in the mid '00s, but I don't think anybody (both within the mob and in LE) really cared nor worried about it.

JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

gohnjotti wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:00 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:55 pm Why does pogos chart say Tommy shots gets out in 2024
Because Thomas "Tommy Shots" Gioeli is scheduled for release on May 2, 2024.
EDIT: Okay, I wanted to be a smartass and leave it at that, but I'll give some context. It was '08 that Gioeli was arrested, when he went to trial he received a split verdict - guilty of racketeering conspiracy including murder conspiracy predicates, but not guilty of any actual murders. Gioeli was sentenced to 224 months in prison in 2014, just shy of the maximum. That's 18.6 years. He will only serve 16 years due to automatic parole, or whatever the legalese is. I read somewhere that being housed at a remand center like the Brooklyn MDC counts as double prison time, but I have no idea if that's accurate. I know that the harsh conditions of the Brooklyn MDC have repeatedly been used in the defendant's' favour.
Wow.
All those hits his crew did? Killed a nun even....
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

gohnjotti wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:24 pmOne thing that separates the Mafia Takedown Day busts from other large admin busts is that most of the crimes were penny-ante, so there were no sweeping calls to change the core administration.
I guess it depends on what you mean by penny-ante.

The 2011 indictment was the the textbook example of larger mob racketeering cases. It had the standard charges, i.e. gambling, loansharking, extortion, drug trafficking, stolen goods, contraband cigarettes, and fraud; as well as control of LIUNA Local 6A, skimming from the Figli di Santi Rosalia feast in Brooklyn, and if I remember correctly the 1993 Joseph Scopo murder.
All roads lead to New York.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks Gohn. So almost 20 years since a real Colmbo hit and no Colombo murders in this century. Chicago and Philly have even surpassed them in this regard. So the Colombos have really mellowed out. :mrgreen:

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:09 pm Thanks Gohn. So almost 20 years since a real Colmbo hit and no Colombo murders in this century. Chicago and Philly have even surpassed them in this regard. So the Colombos have really mellowed out. :mrgreen:

Pogo
They started to believe in God the Father
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:09 pm Thanks Gohn. So almost 20 years since a real Colmbo hit and no Colombo murders in this century. Chicago and Philly have even surpassed them in this regard. So the Colombos have really mellowed out. :mrgreen:

Pogo
Its no surprise. Look at all of the Colombo guys who got locked up for murder. It’s not even worth it.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:07 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:24 pmOne thing that separates the Mafia Takedown Day busts from other large admin busts is that most of the crimes were penny-ante, so there were no sweeping calls to change the core administration.
I guess it depends on what you mean by penny-ante.

The 2011 indictment was the the textbook example of larger mob racketeering cases. It had the standard charges, i.e. gambling, loansharking, extortion, drug trafficking, stolen goods, contraband cigarettes, and fraud; as well as control of LIUNA Local 6A, skimming from the Figli di Santi Rosalia feast in Brooklyn, and if I remember correctly the 1993 Joseph Scopo murder.
Good point Wiseguy, I probably jumped the gun by labelling it penny-ante but at least for the administration and most the captains, the only crime of violence was extortion of the Gambino family for medical bills. The Scopo murder was the highlight of the case, but that was only on Big Anthony Russo.

TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

queensnyer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:36 pm the colombo family is not as strong as it once was, but neither are the other families including the Genovese family who is touted as the strongest. i wouldnt believe a word gene Borello ever spoke. hes a dolt and a legend in his own mind. he didnt even know his own crew (jack boneventre} had business dealings with charlie fish micelli. please..the colombo family is weak?? mess with their rackets and find out
Dominick Ricigliano—an independent loanshark—muscled in on their loansharking operation and they did nothing about it.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Uncle Pete
Straightened out

Post by Uncle Pete »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:10 am
queensnyer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:36 pm the colombo family is not as strong as it once was, but neither are the other families including the Genovese family who is touted as the strongest. i wouldnt believe a word gene Borello ever spoke. hes a dolt and a legend in his own mind. he didnt even know his own crew (jack boneventre} had business dealings with charlie fish micelli. please..the colombo family is weak?? mess with their rackets and find out
Dominick Ricigliano—an independent loanshark—muscled in on their loansharking operation and they did nothing about it.
Wasn’t this guy later brutally assaulted by that Colombo associate nicknamed “bugs”?
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Uncle Pete wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:55 am
Wasn’t this guy later brutally assaulted by that Colombo associate nicknamed “bugs”?
I'll have to look it up; I know that they made several attempts to track the guy down and give him a beating but kept having to call it off.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Right and wrong, Scorcia didn’t immediately do anything about it until he was inducted. Then he went through numerous attempts to shake down Ricigliano, all of which failed due to logistics, but Ricigliano eventually bowed down either way.

TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

gohnjotti wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:36 pm
Right and wrong, Scorcia didn’t immediately do anything about it until he was inducted. Then he went through numerous attempts to shake down Ricigliano, all of which failed due to logistics, but Ricigliano eventually bowed down either way.
Did they ever assault the guy or did he just give up after Scorcia got made and kept trying to get him?
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

yeah they got locked up. sat him a few times... jail lets guys escaoe sometimes, it happens,,, see wsup when they are all in the street again, until then who knows