Understanding Chicago

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Understanding Chicago

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:15 pm I didn't write anything about the significance of membership. That's a separate issue that I didn't address. I was only coming up with an explanatory theory about why the Chicago ceremony changed when it allegedly did. This is based on the information that we have and conjecture. Yes, Sam Giancana was of Sicilian heritage, but his beliefs about the ceremony were irrelevant since Paul Ricca was the last word during the period Giancana was the day-to-day boss. Accardo wasn't the final word until Ricca died in 1972. He co-ruled with Ricca, but Ricca was the senior partner. In 1972 Accardo could set the policy the way he wanted. Both Aiuppa and Cerone deferred to Accardo in everything. At that point it is *possible* that their (Accardo's and Aiuppa's) Sicilian heritage and *possible* love for tradition was reflected in policy. I don't *know* this to be true, but believe it's a good theory with explanatory power. Perhaps there was influence or pressure from New York too. We don't know, but those are both good possible reasons. We do know that there had to be reasons of some sort, and those seem to be good and probably reasons. But again, I can't prove this.
I know you didn't, I didn't mean to imply that you did, I was just speaking overall added the "-". I should have been more clear. You kinda addressed it with B. in the next post which I'll get to.

Before going forward it should be said, not for you and I, but for everyone here that Antiliar and myself have a relationship built on mutual respect, as individuals we are very different which gives us the opportunity to review something using our own expertise and then compare and contrast and debate. We agree more often than not which makes it kinda boring, disagreements and contrasts make for a great discussion and way to "stay sharp." Everything should be allowed to be questioned as long as people are well-intentioned. If someone is right, they can hold the line all day and their theory should be able to withstand all the scrutiny. It can get annoying when you feel you've covered this but are we here to agree or are we here to share and debate? Antiliar has proven me wrong, I've proven him wrong, we've convinced one another to alter the other's thinking on things. The respect is there because we both know we're each coming from a good place. I'd say the same for everyone in this thread.

-
Back to your working theory. You're well versed and researched in this, I know you well enough to know that you are very careful when it comes to sources and that the simplest is usually the most accurate. You wouldn't be stating this unless something lead you to it.

I've gotten the impression before that after Ricca died there was a reorganization of sorts? Crews and people being moved around? You told me some of this years ago but perhaps I didn't grasp the significance?

Thank you for the response.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:35 pm Regarding the Outfit's organization and where Guzik/Humphreys/Alex existed in it, I'm not sure it compares to Joe Watts. I don't know enough about Watts to say much about him or make a good comparison. For this explanation I'll label Guzik/Humphreys/Alex as GHA. I'll try to compare GHA to Maishe Rockman, but my understanding of Rockman could be mistaken too since I haven't spent a lot of time investigating him. Rockman, as far as I know, was a close friend and associate of Jack Licavoli and John Scalish. He may or may not have had his own personal crew, but as far as I know if he did have a crew, the crew belonged to him and not the Cleveland Family.

GHA is different. GHA were actual members of the Chicago Family/Outfit without being members of LCN. They were the essentially capodecinas and consiglieri, but not sure if they had those titles. They had their own crews, but their crews also belonged to the Outfit like other crews. They were direct to the bosses and underbosses like other capodecinas, but they were not made members. Here is a little graph I just made that hopefully illustrates what I'm saying, but I never made a computer graph before so take it for what it's worth.

Chicago Outfit organization.jpg
One of the differences between NYC and Chicago is that we had Valachi providing public testimony on NY from a vantage point going back 30 years. With Chicago we could only observe things from the outside, as was the case with Detroit. Given that NY was a Sicilian-dominated city with the heaviest ties to Sicily, it was reflected in Valachi's testimony and charts. In any era there were outsiders closely aligned with certain families, however we were less inclined to include them because of the charts laid out which showed an all Italian organization, when on the street there were other ethnicities affiliated with them. However, as we all agree, there was a lower glass ceiling for NY associates than there were for Chicago's.

But Chicago isn't the only Family to have associates at the high level, putting aside Rockman (perhaps Stroccos can give a paragraph explain his role in Cleveland from a local perspective), Detroit also had non-Italian crew bosses (capos?) heading a crew of associates, answerable to Tony Jack in the admin.

Johnny Roselli was told he had to listen to Humphreys, if Carlo Gambino arrived with his under and consig and a few captains for a mafia/LCN get together I don't think Chicago would bring along any non-Italians and say they are not LCN members but Chicago members. So we all agree more than we don't.

Taking into account what's been said about The Chicago Outfit, let's reverse it and look at the difference with NYC, what it lacks that Chicago has. Would the argument be that the New York Families failed to form an umbrella outside of their own LCN members? That they lacked this extra padding of multi-ethnic involvement from the lowest to the administrative level that could be lumped into Genovese, Bonanno, etc?

Thanks for making that chart. Thank you for taking the time to explain it.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Its not about who knows who or how close we are....Antiliar, Snakes, Pete, Confederate and i barely know each other annd as a matter of fact, we even dont know how we look.

BUT besides that, through the years we developed mutual understanding and found many stuff that we all agree on. So its about understanding and open mind. Im not here to make friends or to change anyones diaper once they fuck up...im here for knowledge by listening to what every1 has to say...not jumping to conclusions or ignoring people because im not close with them. And i dont base my knowledge on ifs and buts

Back to Chicago, by the early 70s many crews were finished and so the remaining members joined other older crews or they joined some of the newly created ones.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Villain wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:25 am Its not about who knows who or how close we are....Antiliar, Snakes, Pete, Confederate and i barely know each other annd as a matter of fact, we even dont know how we look.

BUT besides that, through the years we developed mutual understanding and found many stuff that we all agree on. So its about understanding and open mind. Im not here to make friends or to change anyones diaper once they fuck up...im here for knowledge by listening to what every1 has to say...not jumping to conclusions or ignoring people because im not close with them

Back to Chicago, by the early 70s many crews were finished and so the remaining members joined other older crews or they joined some of the newly created ones.

And we dont base on ifs and buts
It's not about being friends or treating anyone with kid gloves. It's about respect for others coming from a well-intentioned background. A fact-backed researcher who has a macro-view of the mafia that may conflict with the workings of a local family having disagreement with those who focus exclusively on said family in question is very different than someone who's under a troll handle and flies loosely with the facts with an agenda not towards the truth but so he can exert his irrelevant presence. The latter deserves no time or consideration.

I've explained things to B. who's taken some of my conclusions and disagreed and created his own. We've debated our differences and he's still unmoved. I have experience with how he's able to hold the line on something that you've researched more and viewed more sources on. Tedious it can be. At the same time I encounter documents that I'd like to show him just to get his opinion before I add my own thoughts so as not to influence him. I find his opinion vital because they are usually from a fact-backed system and he's able to pick up on things that I didn't. Not because he's a good guy but because he's very good at this subject.

You've made some good arguments and I respect all that you do. Salut.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 am I've gotten the impression before that after Ricca died there was a reorganization of sorts? Crews and people being moved around? You told me some of this years ago but perhaps I didn't grasp the significance?

Well, I'm gonna be stuck in the apartment for a while so I may as well get back to posting again.

This is my understanding of how the crews looked before and after Ricca's death:

Buccieri originally controlled the Near and Lower West Side of Chicago west into the eastern part of Cicero. When he died in 1973, Turk Torello took over. As more of their clientele and membership moved west, so did the crews and Turk eventually moved his base further into Cicero and the surrounding suburbs. This was because Joey Aiuppa, formerly boss of Cicero, had advanced to a leadership position and had moved into Melrose Park to fill the void left by Battaglia's imprisonment and subsequent death. Aiuppa brought most of his key guys with him (Ortenzi, Carlisi, etc.) and eventually that crew became the Carlisi/Jimmy Marcello crew. The Turk Torello crew eventually evolved into the Ferriola/Infelise crew, or Cicero/West Side crew.

The Elmwood Park area was under Cerone, who went to prison in 1970. This wasn't a lengthy prison stretch by any means and Cerone was a powerful figure so it could be assumed that nobody was going to permanently take this territory over in his absence. Joe Gagliano did nominally run it for a time in Cerone's absence but died in 1971. It is unclear who ran this territory or what operations emanated from it as this has traditionally been a fairly secretive territory, although it could be assumed that guys like John DiFronzo, Joe Andriacchi, and Lee Mangafichi helped keep this area going while Cerone was away. Cerone was released from prison in 1973.

26th Street was a small crew run by Skid Caruso. When Skid retired or was pulled down for health reasons around 1979, Angelo LaPietra took this territory over and brought some of his more reliable guys with him (his brother James, John Monteleone, Frank Calabrese, etc.) and also inherited Skid's guys (Maenza, LaMantia, etc.). Skid had been treading water in this area for a while so putting LaPietra in charge may have been a move by Aiuppa to spark some life into the territory.

Grand Avenue was an area formerly run by Phil Alderisio (probably under the supervision of Battaglia) but when he went to prison and died, Joey Lombardo took it over and was promoted to the status of a capo or crew boss.

The North Side and Heights area remained relatively unchaged. Ross Prio and Frank LaPorte ran those areas respectively and both died right around the same time as Ricca. The succession line pretty clearly ran from Prio to DiBella (died in '76) to Solano. Heights was inherited by Al Pilotto.

Ralph Pierce ran the Southside and when died in 1976 most his gambling operations went to Turk Torello.

Joe Amato ran the Lake County area of the Outfit for most of the seventies.

So the groups were shuffled along certain lines but the main geographic shift was westward away the traditional Italian areas of Chicago and into the far western suburbs, although they still retained their foothold in the Bridgeport/Chinatown area.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:57 am
Villain wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:25 am Its not about who knows who or how close we are....Antiliar, Snakes, Pete, Confederate and i barely know each other annd as a matter of fact, we even dont know how we look.

BUT besides that, through the years we developed mutual understanding and found many stuff that we all agree on. So its about understanding and open mind. Im not here to make friends or to change anyones diaper once they fuck up...im here for knowledge by listening to what every1 has to say...not jumping to conclusions or ignoring people because im not close with them

It's not about being friends or treating anyone with kid gloves. It's about respect for others coming from a well-intentioned background. A fact-backed researcher who has a macro-view of the mafia that may conflict with the workings of a local family having disagreement with those who focus exclusively on said family in question is very different than someone who's under a troll handle and flies loosely with the facts with an agenda not towards the truth but so he can exert his irrelevant presence. The latter deserves no time or consideration.

I've explained things to B. who's taken some of my conclusions and disagreed and created his own. We've debated our differences and he's still unmoved. I have experience with how he's able to hold the line on something that you've researched more and viewed more sources on. Tedious it can be. At the same time I encounter documents that I'd like to show him just to get his opinion before I add my own thoughts so as not to influence him. I find his opinion vital because they are usually from a fact-backed system and he's able to pick up on things that I didn't. Not because he's a good guy but because he's very good at this subject.

I think i told you before that i already have respect for you and im sorry if i sometimes sound aggressive. Cheers

Btw later ill send you some pms to ask you some stuff regarding the area in which you used to or currently live
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Villain wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:55 am

I think i told you before that i already have respect for you and im sorry if i sometimes sound aggressive. Cheers

Btw later ill send you some pms to ask you some stuff regarding the area in which you used to or currently live
Thanks. You too.

I look forward to your pm but in regards to my area, my knowledge isn't first hand, I didn't grew up with a Henry Hill experience. But all same, if you want me to look at something or want my thoughts or to consider/take something into account, please do.

Speaking of areas, completely unrelated to anything in this thread but, I have a close friend who lived in Buffalo most of her life, her family is from there. She knows slightly about my interest in OC but she has no experience herself, never knew anyone involved, no shady uncles or sons of members or anything like that. She and I've been to La Nova (she was 5 mins away by car where she lived in 2012) and I told her the story and she didn't really believe it (she really didn't care, OC isn't really her thing). Within the past 5 months, she and her boyfriend moved back to where his family is in Elizabeth, NJ. His family is Sicilian, not Riberese, I asked her and he doesn't know where they're from, he's from Jersey he says. Anyways I brought up the DeCavs and she asked him, he never heard of them or knew they existed. His grandmother I know also lives in Elizabeth so I can assume his family's lived there for awhile. Not that this means anything or leads to any conclusions, just throwing that out.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:23 am
Chris Christie wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 am I've gotten the impression before that after Ricca died there was a reorganization of sorts? Crews and people being moved around? You told me some of this years ago but perhaps I didn't grasp the significance?

Well, I'm gonna be stuck in the apartment for a while so I may as well get back to posting again.

This is my understanding of how the crews looked before and after Ricca's death:

Buccieri originally controlled the Near and Lower West Side of Chicago west into the eastern part of Cicero. When he died in 1973, Turk Torello took over. As more of their clientele and membership moved west, so did the crews and Turk eventually moved his base further into Cicero and the surrounding suburbs. This was because Joey Aiuppa, formerly boss of Cicero, had advanced to a leadership position and had moved into Melrose Park to fill the void left by Battaglia's imprisonment and subsequent death. Aiuppa brought most of his key guys with him (Ortenzi, Carlisi, etc.) and eventually that crew became the Carlisi/Jimmy Marcello crew. The Turk Torello crew eventually evolved into the Ferriola/Infelise crew, or Cicero/West Side crew.

The Elmwood Park area was under Cerone, who went to prison in 1970. This wasn't a lengthy prison stretch by any means and Cerone was a powerful figure so it could be assumed that nobody was going to permanently take this territory over in his absence. Joe Gagliano did nominally run it for a time in Cerone's absence but died in 1971. It is unclear who ran this territory or what operations emanated from it as this has traditionally been a fairly secretive territory, although it could be assumed that guys like John DiFronzo, Joe Andriacchi, and Lee Mangafichi helped keep this area going while Cerone was away. Cerone was released from prison in 1973.

26th Street was a small crew run by Skid Caruso. When Skid retired or was pulled down for health reasons around 1979, Angelo LaPietra took this territory over and brought some of his more reliable guys with him (his brother James, John Monteleone, Frank Calabrese, etc.) and also inherited Skid's guys (Maenza, LaMantia, etc.). Skid had been treading water in this area for a while so putting LaPietra in charge may have been a move by Aiuppa to spark some life into the territory.

Grand Avenue was an area formerly run by Phil Alderisio (probably under the supervision of Battaglia) but when he went to prison and died, Joey Lombardo took it over and was promoted to the status of a capo or crew boss.

The North Side and Heights area remained relatively unchaged. Ross Prio and Frank LaPorte ran those areas respectively and both died right around the same time as Ricca. The succession line pretty clearly ran from Prio to DiBella (died in '76) to Solano. Heights was inherited by Al Pilotto.

Ralph Pierce ran the Southside and when died in 1976 most his gambling operations went to Turk Torello.

Joe Amato ran the Lake County area of the Outfit for most of the seventies.

So the groups were shuffled along certain lines but the main geographic shift was westward away the traditional Italian areas of Chicago and into the far western suburbs, although they still retained their foothold in the Bridgeport/Chinatown area.
Welcome back MJ :mrgreen:

Ill try to make a list and give my thoughts on the crews that went down or changed before and after Riccas death...pls correct me if im wrong regarding some transfers or anything else....

William Daddono crew controlled DuPage and McHenry counties but they also had interests around Lake County, Cicero, Near West Side and Melrose Park. When Daddono went to prison, Amato formed his own and separate crew in DuPage, McHenry and Lake counties and also had some interests in Cicero and also had fellas such as DeLaurentis, Borelli and Amatos son, while DeRosa joined the Aiuppa crew, followed by Eldorado, Frank Fratto and Infelice who joined the Buccieri group, and Clementi who joined the Batraglia/Alderisio/Nicoletti crew.

It is interesting to note that besides the Cicero area being divided between Buccieri and Aiuppa, the MP area was also divided between Aiuppa and Battaglia/Alderisio/Nicoletti, while other crews were only allowed to have interests in it.

When Battaglia went to prison, followed by Alderisio 3 years later, the old MP crew was finished and gave the birth to the Grand Av crew. This means that members such as Caifano, Lombardo (by the late 60s Prannos crew under Battaglia was finished), Mario DeStefano(by the early 70s the DeStefano crew under Battaglia was also finished), Tony Spilotro, Eboli, D'Antonio, Desantis, the German etc. formed their own group, first under the supervision of Nicoletti with Lombardo being his capo of the crew, and later Lombardo became the crew's boss in his own right. Some sources say that until or after Battaglias death in prison, Nick Palermo allegedly controlled the old MP crew for some short period but thats highly doubtful.

It is possible that after Battaglias and Alderisios deaths, and also after the shelving of Nicoletti, the Aiuppa and Grand Av crews divided the MP area, or Aiuppa took it all for himself which i highly doubt.

By the late 60s and early 70s, the Charles English group was probably absorbed by the large Buccieri group. Previously the brothers controlled Fullerton Av, 31st St and also had interests in Cicero and the South Side, but after that they only had interests in Cicero and the South Side.

By the late 60s the old Humphreys/Pierce crew from the South Side was also finished and guys like William McGuire joined the English bros under Buccieri. Im not sure if the DiCaro bros joined Buccieri or the Chinatown crew under Caruso.

It is interesting to note that when Caruso went into retirement in 79, thats the same year when Buccieris successor Torello died and so from that point on the large Buccieri/Torello crew divided in two crews, one being under LaPietra who took over Carusos Chinatown area, and the second one was under Ferriola who in turn controlled Cicero and also had interests around the South Side. Besides being divided, both the Ferriola and LaPietra crews stayed in a very close relation during the following decades, obviously because they came from the same old group.

Another interesting thing to note is that by this time Amato was finished and so his men such as DeLaurentis joined Ferriola/Infelice and they took over the Lake County area. It also seems that there was some deal between Grand Av/Lombardo and Cicero/Ferriola since they divided the DuPage County area and the Grand Av crew also received some interests in Lake County and Lake View.
Last edited by Villain on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Guys a question, did Outfit get involved with drugs?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

aleksandrored wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:28 am Guys a question, did Outfit get involved with drugs?
I think they were involed until the early or mid 70s or when Accardo took over. After that it was a huge "no no" but we still have many members and associates being involved in it, obviously on their own risk.

When Accardo died or shortly before his death i dont remember, things mightve changed since DiFronzos brother Joe was caught with all that weed and stuff
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Understand, thanks bro :D
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

aleksandrored wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:28 am Guys a question, did Outfit get involved with drugs?
I am much less expert than Villain, Snake or the other researchers specialized in Chicago (sorry if I do not quote you all), but I already read articles where John Fecarrota is implied in a deal of heroine in 1972 with guys from Montreal (Guido Orisini, Santo Mendola, Vincenzo Balsamo, Tibor Koropany & Pierre Buffa, a Frenchman who was being followed by the police). So I would say yes, but it is logical, I think that almost all the Families were involved in it at the time
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

motorfab wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 am
I am much less expert than Villain, Snake or the other researchers specialized in Chicago (sorry if I do not quote you all), but I already read articles where John Fecarrota is implied in a deal of heroine in 1972 with guys from Montreal (Guido Orisini, Santo Mendola, Vincenzo Balsamo, Tibor Koropany & Pierre Buffa, a Frenchman who was being followed by the police). So I would say yes, but it is logical, I think that almost all the Families were involved in it at the time
Thanks man :D
BobbyPazzo
Straightened out

Post by BobbyPazzo »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:44 am
Villain wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:55 am

Thanks. You too.

I look forward to your pm but in regards to my area, my knowledge isn't first hand, I didn't grew up with a Henry Hill experience. But all same, if you want me to look at something or want my thoughts or to consider/take something into account, please do.

Speaking of areas, completely unrelated to anything in this thread but, I have a close friend who lived in Buffalo most of her life, her family is from there. She knows slightly about my interest in OC but she has no experience herself, never knew anyone involved, no shady uncles or sons of members or anything like that. She and I've been to La Nova (she was 5 mins away by car where she lived in 2012) and I told her the story and she didn't really believe it (she really didn't care, OC isn't really her thing). Within the past 5 months, she and her boyfriend moved back to where his family is in Elizabeth, NJ. His family is Sicilian, not Riberese, I asked her and he doesn't know where they're from, he's from Jersey he says. Anyways I brought up the DeCavs and she asked him, he never heard of them or knew they existed. His grandmother I know also lives in Elizabeth so I can assume his family's lived there for awhile. Not that this means anything or leads to any conclusions, just throwing that out.
That’s surprising for someone who grew up in Elizabeth to not know the guys from Peterstown. Anyone I know from there, and I’m a north jersey guy, know exactly who they are. It’s almost impossible not to. The Ribera is on a dead end right by the dpw. Spirito’s is right next to cent’anni pork store, I mean it’s all in one area and they’re still out there. Outside of Elizabeth I’ve never met anyone who really knows them. Where I’m from as most know, it’s all Luke’s and west side ... that’s really it. Yea people connected to the north jersey Philly guys but aside from that it’s those two. If you’re italian American and from Bergen, Passaic, Essex counties... you know someone who’s connected somehow whether it’s family, friends , enemies, whatever. John Riggi’s niece and I grew up together but in Passaic county.
Most of you wouldn't be comfortable in my playground.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

motorfab wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 am
Yup and as i already said, everyone who dealt with it were left on their own risk. This also might confirm that during the 70s or when Accardo took over, the Outfit became more of a CN organization by banning narcotics.

Since you mentioned the year 1972, during that period we have another huge narcotics trafficker who in turn was one of Nicoletti’s and Giancana’s old associates from the North Side known as Salvatore “Sam” Canzoneri, a former officer of Chicago’s Police Department, magazine publisher and close friend of the boss of that same area Dom DiBella.

Also some of the victims of the so-called chop shop wars were deeply involved in the dope trade, which raises the question on whether all of those guys were killed because of rivalry in the chop shop racket, or some of them were killed because of the previous reason...