NY Mob and the 1980s Miami?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: NY Mob and the 1980s Miami?

Post by JIGGS »

furiofromnaples wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:38 am
Villain wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:56 am Im not sure but i think that the US mob was able to grow opium fields near the border in Mexico (there are reports from the 1940s) but growing coca leaves in that same area back in the days was a difficult thing. So by the late 70s the Colombians were already big while in Mexico the first big time coca plantations began during the early 2000s i think
Come on no big NY big trafficker thinked to buy huge quantities to coke in the late 1970s-1980s ? Or left all the NY coke market to the south americans?
The spanish ruled the roost from day one the coke market opened up. Same when crack cocaine took off. Only wiseguy I ever read to make a bundle from crack was the galione kid froggy legs. Spanish had a head start just like cosa nostra had a head start with the unions over everyone else. When your in from the start its hard to lose ground if you keep regenerating over and over.

JIGGS
tmarotta
Straightened out

Post by tmarotta »

Actually Santo Trafficante used to import cocaine from Ecuador and Chile before production moved to Colombia. Furthermore the mafia in the US has been involved in cocaine as far back as the 1930s. I would agree once cocaine production moved to Colombia that Latino oc members began to control supply but before then they didn’t completely control the cocaine trade.
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

tmarotta wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 pm Actually Santo Trafficante used to import cocaine from Ecuador and Chile before production moved to Colombia. Furthermore the mafia in the US has been involved in cocaine as far back as the 1930s. I would agree once cocaine production moved to Colombia that Latino oc members began to control supply but before then they didn’t completely control the cocaine trade.
Yeah but the market that existed in the 70s & 80s for blow did not exist in the 1930s USA. By the 1970s Colombians and I would say cubans dominated. A porto rican man named George Angelet was #7 on the FBN drug kingpin list in 1949. He was moving H and blow. Drugs has always been a multi racial racket. Diversity is its strength. lol

JIGGS
tmarotta
Straightened out

Post by tmarotta »

I agree it was a different market before the 1970s.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

JIGGS wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:07 pm
tmarotta wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 pm Actually Santo Trafficante used to import cocaine from Ecuador and Chile before production moved to Colombia. Furthermore the mafia in the US has been involved in cocaine as far back as the 1930s. I would agree once cocaine production moved to Colombia that Latino oc members began to control supply but before then they didn’t completely control the cocaine trade.
Yeah but the market that existed in the 70s & 80s for blow did not exist in the 1930s USA. By the 1970s Colombians and I would say cubans dominated. A porto rican man named George Angelet was #7 on the FBN drug kingpin list in 1949. He was moving H and blow. Drugs has always been a multi racial racket. Diversity is its strength. lol

JIGGS
Yeah if you look at the FBI stats on cocaine use in the US you see that the late 70s and 80s were unlike any other era in American history.

You can just tell by the wholesale price fluctuations, too. Even in ‘79, ‘80 kilos were still going for like $50k -$60k because it was mainly a rich person’s drug, and overall demand wasn’t **quite** there yet. But then by ‘81, ‘82, ‘83, you have Colombians in NYC letting kilos go for $12k.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Santo Jr also had a crew of Cuban gangsters who operated bolita for him in the 1960s- guys he knew in Havana before Castro. When the early 70s rolled around, they moved to trafficking cocaine. Operation Eagle was a major federal investigation into this network. Grabbed up a bunch of guys, but not Trafficante.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Villain wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:56 am Im not sure but i think that the US mob was able to grow opium fields near the border in Mexico (there are reports from the 1940s) but growing coca leaves in that same area back in the days was a difficult thing. So by the late 70s the Colombians were already big while in Mexico the first big time coca plantations began during the early 2000s i think
There are reports that Tommy Luchesse was running a heroin refinery, the poppy came from Mexico....

I think it says this in Strength of the Wolf... when I can I'll post the excerpt... this was in the 40s....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

The Sicilians were moving tons of coke. Just look at Iron Tower, Domenico Mannino... Paolo LoPorta, Loduca...
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

The only way for the Mob to have taken control of coke in NY was if they had complete control over the point of import, like the docks, and taxed all the shipments..... like the Mexicans with the border....

Too many corners/dealers to tax the streets.
And like Stubbs said, they cant control the Andes, or grow coke in the states.....
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

CabriniGreen wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:27 am
There are reports that Tommy Luchesse was running a heroin refinery, the poppy came from Mexico....

I think it says this in Strength of the Wolf... when I can I'll post the excerpt... this was in the 40s....
Yeah i read that book and i think you was the one who recomended it to me and confirmed many situations, so thanks.

The thing is that I was aware about the Mexico opium situation before that, or since i first read the testimony of one Outfit associate and informant known as Paul Roland Jones who stated that during the 40s many of their high level Jewish associates oversaw unknown number of opium fields in Mexico, near the US border i think. I also think that you can find those reports at the MF site
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Joe Pistone was down there in the 1980's while undercover, and ran a club for Sonny Black with some other undercover agents. What did they get information wise on Miami?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Villain wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:39 am

Yeah i read that book and i think you was the one who recomended it to me and confirmed many situations, so thanks.

The thing is that I was aware about the Mexico opium situation before that, or since i first read the testimony of one Outfit associate and informant known as Paul Roland Jones who stated that during the 40s many of their high level Jewish associates oversaw unknown number of opium fields in Mexico, near the US border i think. I also think that you can find those reports at the MF site
This is the one.....

“When the Aurelio “undying loyalty” scandal hit the papers, Anslinger was fully aware of Costello’s immunity through the Luciano Project, but looking to the future, he directed the FBN’s New York office to link Costello to drug smuggling through East Harlem’s 107th Street Gang. Under District Supervisor Robert W. Artiss, the New York office had been monitoring the Gang since 1939. It knew that the Gang’s narcotics manager, Joe Gagliano, organized opium smuggling from Mexico through Texas to New York, where it was processed into heroin in clandestine labs, and in 1942 the investigation resulted in the conviction of several of the Gang’s top members – excluding, however, their family boss, Thomas Luchesse...

So what do you think? Real or bullshit?
Also, would this be Gaetano Gaglianos brother, or no?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:51 am
furiofromnaples wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:38 amCome on no big NY big trafficker thinked to buy huge quantities to coke in the late 1970s-1980s ? Or left all the NY coke market to the south americans?
For heroin, there was the trans-Atlantic Sicilian connection. The Colombians already had the cocaine routes through the Caribbean into the U.S. Even if somebody were able to find an example of an LCN trafficker going right to the source, it would be the exception to the rule. I remember reading one report that said the Mafia never attempted to control cocaine to that extent. The NY families certainly bought, and moved, a lot of it but just further down the line.

This excerpt from BloodBrotherhoods.........

The Sicilians made a huge move into cocaine, Riina I believe developed a direct relationship with Escobar. What's interesting here is how he says the Sicilians cut the American Cosa Nostra out. They actually kinda botched the whole thing, cutting the Americans in would have saved the connections for em.

The point people for all this in the states were all the same familiar names we know now.. Gambino, Spatola, Manninos, Caruana- Cuntreras........

[/https://books.google.com/books?id=4doiB ... ke&f=false
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

When the Caruanas lost those 5500 kilos, I think they lost a lotta power actually...
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

CabriniGreen wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:45 am
Villain wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:39 am

This is the one.....

“When the Aurelio “undying loyalty” scandal hit the papers, Anslinger was fully aware of Costello’s immunity through the Luciano Project, but looking to the future, he directed the FBN’s New York office to link Costello to drug smuggling through East Harlem’s 107th Street Gang. Under District Supervisor Robert W. Artiss, the New York office had been monitoring the Gang since 1939. It knew that the Gang’s narcotics manager, Joe Gagliano, organized opium smuggling from Mexico through Texas to New York, where it was processed into heroin in clandestine labs, and in 1942 the investigation resulted in the conviction of several of the Gang’s top members – excluding, however, their family boss, Thomas Luchesse...

So what do you think? Real or bullshit?
Also, would this be Gaetano Gaglianos brother, or no?
I dont think that Costello was all about narcotics and probably stayed far away from it but he also probably took his cut from it.

Heres the confirmation regarding my previous statement regarding opium being transported during the 40s from Mexico by doing a simple search on the mf site...later ill try to find some of the other files regarding the associates and opium fields in that same area...

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... co%20opium

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... es%20opium
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10