NY Mob and the 1980s Miami?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

furiofromnaples
Full Patched

NY Mob and the 1980s Miami?

Post by furiofromnaples »

Its a question for the experts on the forum.

Ever tried the 5 families to expand the ny market fuelling with cocaine that for sure can buy in high quantities from the colombians?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: NY Mob and the 1980s Miami?

Post by Wiseguy »

furiofromnaples wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:49 am Its a question for the experts on the forum.

Ever tried the 5 families to expand the ny market fuelling with cocaine that for sure can buy in high quantities from the colombians?
Not sure I'm even understanding the question but the Medellin cartel was the cocaine supply in Miami at the time, while the Cali cartel was the supply in New York.
All roads lead to New York.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:04 pm
furiofromnaples wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:49 am Its a question for the experts on the forum.

Not sure I'm even understanding the question but the Medellin cartel was the cocaine supply in Miami at the time, while the Cali cartel was the supply in New York.
Did the Medellin cartel also supplied the Midwest crime families, since Colombian cocaine was also distributed to points such Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, and the Los Angeles area? Some of the Chi boys were deeply involved at the time
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

The question is: the 5 families import H from sicily why didnt create an own coke distribution in NY and NJ?
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

furiofromnaples wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:36 am

The question is: the 5 families import H from sicily why didnt create an own coke distribution in NY and NJ?
They imported their heroin directly from France or Italy, simply because the chemists were there. For coke the pipeline was in South America
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Im not sure but i think that the US mob was able to grow opium fields near the border in Mexico (there are reports from the 1940s) but growing coca leaves in that same area back in the days was a difficult thing. So by the late 70s the Colombians were already big while in Mexico the first big time coca plantations began during the early 2000s i think
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

I know that Johnny Biello, is the Genovese crime family while a silent partner of the Peppermint Lounge. Upon it’s new found fame, he opened another one in Miami, and correct me if I am wrong, tried making it a legitimate establishment. But I am pretty sure that didn’t last, because it may have been the Miami location, not the NYC one, despite having been to both, that Ringo Starr was almost murdered for dancing with a made man’s girlfriend.
It’s Blood alone, that moves the wheels of history
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Villain wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:56 am Im not sure but i think that the US mob was able to grow opium fields near the border in Mexico (there are reports from the 1940s) but growing coca leaves in that same area back in the days was a difficult thing. So by the late 70s the Colombians were already big while in Mexico the first big time coca plantations began during the early 2000s i think
Come on no big NY big trafficker thinked to buy huge quantities to coke in the late 1970s-1980s ? Or left all the NY coke market to the south americans?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

furiofromnaples wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:38 amCome on no big NY big trafficker thinked to buy huge quantities to coke in the late 1970s-1980s ? Or left all the NY coke market to the south americans?
For heroin, there was the trans-Atlantic Sicilian connection. The Colombians already had the cocaine routes through the Caribbean into the U.S. Even if somebody were able to find an example of an LCN trafficker going right to the source, it would be the exception to the rule. I remember reading one report that said the Mafia never attempted to control cocaine to that extent. The NY families certainly bought, and moved, a lot of it but just further down the line.
All roads lead to New York.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Looks like Todaro might have had been involved with Columbians. According to this document these connection are “undefined,” but considered “more than a coincidental.”
66341F4C-712B-4AB5-95F5-25B4D448099D.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Plenty of mobsters were involved in coke (Gravano, Casso, etc). But cocaine was and is way too big to be controlled by any one criminal organization. No way the mob could have a monopoly over coke in NY because they could never control the supply like they did with heroin refined in Sicily during the Pizza Connection.

For the mob to control coke they’d have to control Colombia, but even then there’s still Peru, Boliva, Venezuela, etc. Not too mention Mexico controlling transport to the US.

So the Italians are likely more buying from the Colombians who ship to NY, then sell wholesale to smaller distributors.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

stubbs wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:45 pm Plenty of mobsters were involved in coke (Gravano, Casso, etc). But cocaine was and is way too big to be controlled by any one criminal organization. No way the mob could have a monopoly over coke in NY because they could never control the supply like they did with heroin refined in Sicily during the Pizza Connection.

For the mob to control coke they’d have to control Colombia, but even then there’s still Peru, Boliva, Venezuela, etc. Not too mention Mexico controlling transport to the US.

So the Italians are likely more buying from the Colombians who ship to NY, then sell wholesale to smaller distributors.
Gravano involved while in New York, or just in his Arizona case? I don't remember him testifying about coke dealing while in New York. As for Casso, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using coke too.
500YearReign
Straightened out

Post by 500YearReign »

stubbs wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:45 pm Plenty of mobsters were involved in coke (Gravano, Casso, etc). But cocaine was and is way too big to be controlled by any one criminal organization. No way the mob could have a monopoly over coke in NY because they could never control the supply like they did with heroin refined in Sicily during the Pizza Connection.

Excellent analysis.
"People always underestimate me, Don."

<>

"You know what the real difference is between crooks and lawmen, Warden?

[Warden] Try me.

What side of the bars they're on."
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

What’s funny is one of the main characters from Cocaine Cowboys—Jon Roberts (real name Jon Riccobono) was related to Joseph Riccobono, and also had other family members that were connected with the Gambinos.

The Medellin Cartel wanted to take out Barry Seal, so they tried to get Roberts to bring in some mob guys from NY to do the hit. But given the fact that Seal was under constant police protection, it would’ve been a suicide mission, and Roberts told the Cartel that “the spaghetti boys” wouldn’t be able to do the hit. So the Cartel had to send their own guys up to do the hit, and of course they got caught.

The coke wave just happened so fast it was almost like it was too big for the mob to be able to get their arms around it. It was literally an explosion.

The United States was the only developed nation that saw a reduction in cocaine use in the 21st century, but the Feds are worried it’s about to go back up. The Colombians are producing and shipping up more coke than they ever have before.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

bert wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:13 pm

Gravano involved while in New York, or just in his Arizona case? I don't remember him testifying about coke dealing while in New York. As for Casso, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using coke too.
If I remember correctly, Casso claimed Gravano was involved in drug dealing in the 70s, coke from Florida i think... and that claim was one of the reasons the government tore up Casso’s deal, because Gravano didn’t admit to drug dealing when he flipped. So the government couldn’t have Casso testifying that Gravano, essentially, was a liar or less than truthful.

But somebody else here may remember the details better than I can. I think Casso mentioned that about Gravano in his book.