Joe Todaro Jr & Barstool Sports

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Re: Joe Todaro Jr & Barstool Sports

Post by NJShore4Life »

I have also noticed a few Roman Style pizza parlors here lately in NYC and Jersey too. I like it. There was a Roman style pizzeria around the corner from my office in the city for years when I was in the city everyday and now one just also opened up down at the shore in Manasquan as well. Its great pie.

I want to try Detroit Style Pizza in Detroit at Buddy's at the original Buddy's location. A few Detroit Style pizzerias have also opened up lately in NYC but for my first time I want to try the real deal. Maybe I'll fly out to Detroit for the upcoming GIANTS at Lions game Halloween weekend and have some. GIANTS BABY!! (We can still turn the season around!)
mafiastudent
Full Patched

Post by mafiastudent »

NJShore4Life wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:02 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:57 pm Chicago deep dish really is a pie. You can't even compare it to NY style because its so different.

NYC has every style of pizza you can think of except Chicago style and that's not on accident.

NJShore4Life........What is this Jersey pie you speak of?
when I travel in America are pizzerias that aren't owned by Italians/Italian-Americans. Also, people who put pineapple on their pies should have battery acid thrown in their eyes and then herded up to Canada and shot.
There are actually places in the Chicago (at least in the south suburbs) that make pizza with beef and giardiniera (the stuff you put on beef sandwiches here.) The giardiniera on the pizza isn't so bad, but the beef/g combination is gross.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

mafiastudent wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:59 pm
Frank wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:53 pm
NJShore4Life wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:34 am That pizza looked like absolute shit, like something ordered from Dominos.
I've been spoiled with Chicago area pizza
New York pizza, sorry to say, is shit. Chicago pizza rules even on the "thin" wars depending on where you go.

The worst pizza I've seen is from Pittsburgh. I've never had it, but my friend who lives in Pittsburgh raves about their pizza with kebobs on it. Who eats pizza with kabobs on it?
Pittsburgh's Little Italy has incredible pizza...never seen a pizza there with kebobs...ever. And I've been eating pizza there for 35 + years. Fiori's and Mineo's are the two absolute best there. Pittsburgh had the third largest Southern Italian population in the country, they serve plenty of Napoletana type slices. They may have some specialty pizza's but mostly Calabrians live in the Pittsburgh area and they make incredible pizza.

Best pizza I ever ate was a toss up between Pepe's, Sally's and Zuppardi's. Best slice I've eaten in NY is in Mt.Vernon called Johnny's.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
mafiastudent
Full Patched

Post by mafiastudent »

JCB1977 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 am
NJShore4Life wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:34 am That pizza looked like absolute shit, like something ordered from Dominos.
New York pizza, sorry to say, is shit. Chicago pizza rules even on the "thin" wars depending on where you go.

The worst pizza I've seen is from Pittsburgh. I've never had it, but my friend who lives in Pittsburgh raves about their pizza with kebobs on it. Who eats pizza with kabobs on it?
Pittsburgh's Little Italy has incredible pizza...never seen a pizza there with kebobs...ever. And I've been eating pizza there for 35 + years. Fiori's and Mineo's are the two absolute best there. Pittsburgh had the third largest Southern Italian population in the country, they serve plenty of Napoletana type slices. They may have some specialty pizza's but mostly Calabrians live in the Pittsburgh area and they make incredible pizza.

Best pizza I ever ate was a toss up between Pepe's, Sally's and Zuppardi's. Best slice I've eaten in NY is in Mt.Vernon called Johnny's.
i'm going to have to ask her. When we were arguing about pizzas after she showed me a pic of this pizza she got with huge chunks of broccoli, she then told me about those kebob pizzas.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

mafiastudent wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 am

i'm going to have to ask her. When we were arguing about pizzas after she showed me a pic of this pizza she got with huge chunks of broccoli, she then told me about those kebob pizzas.
I don't doubt that she could have ordered a specialty pizza but I've been eating in the Bloomfield area (Little Italy) for over 3 decades and I can assure you that there are some very old school Pizza joints that are phenomenal and have been around for 70+ years. Why would she order pizza and broccoli? Right there, I'd have to question her sanity. ;) The Kebob pizza she is referring to is from a Turkish Restaurant called Ephesus, it's not even an Italian joint.

THIS PLACE IS PHENOMENAl: The family's ancestors were part of the original Calabrian Black Hand Society in the 1910's and 1920's in Pittsburgh: https://www.piazzatalarico.com/our-story/

Other traditional pizza joints in Pittsburgh are Pizza Taglio, Primo's, Piccolo Forno and Badamo's
Last edited by JCB1977 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
mafiastudent
Full Patched

Post by mafiastudent »

JCB1977 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:00 am
mafiastudent wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 am

I don't doubt that she could have ordered a specialty pizza but I've been eating in the Bloomfield area (Little Italy) for over 3 decades and I can assure you that there are some very old school Pizza joints that are phenomenal and have been around for 70+ years. Why would she order pizza and broccoli? Right there, I'd have to question her sanity. ;)

THIS PLACE IS PHENOMENAl: The family's ancestors were part of the original Calabrian Black Hand Society in the 1910's and 1920's in Pittsburgh: https://www.piazzatalarico.com/our-story/
I think she is insne. I don't know what area she's at. But I'm going to recommend that place. Maybe she'll see the light. Hahah.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

I just viewed some La Nove pizzas. It's pretty hard to tell how it would taste by looking at the pictures, lol. Looks like there pretty generous with they ingredients. Who knows if you try it you might love it. That's the thing, everybody has a favorite pizza place, and if you asked 10 people in one fairly big city, you could get 10 different answers. So how are you going to get a consensus winner in the whole country. Speaking of food, I tried the Rao's bottled spaghetti sauce or gravy. It was dam good. Similar in taste to my Aunt Marie's. Still rate Aunt Marie's better.
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

Guy doing the reviews comes off like a douchebag. Todaro seems like a funny guy though.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Toronto has got some decent pizza joints, same thing in Montreal. You have to go to certain places In Woodbridge like riccis pizza or nino daversa and they make nu bella pizza for certain
Flushing
Straightened out

Post by Flushing »

Glad this turned into a "best pizza" thread. I'm going with Amore Pizza on the Whitestone Expressway.
Screenshot_2019-10-10-17-47-06~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

You don't have to be Italian to make good pizza (this is coming from an italian) it's just somewhat more authentic. Good technique and superb ingredients is what it takes. Everyone has their own point of view but someone said NY pizza is shit and that's laughable. NYC is the beating heart of the pizza world..not naples not chicago not anywhere else. It's here and always will be and this is not an opinion it's a fact. I'd have to scroll up to see who said that but I'd like to know which NYC places you've eaten at to come to that conclusion. I realize it's an opinion and but anyone who knows anything about pizza would never say something as absurd as that. I've had almost every kind of pizza imaginable even with pineapple on it which most people loathe but if its done right (with ham, speck or guanciale) I'll eat it. Not sure if I've mentioned it but I fucking love pizza. Anyone who is up for it I'll be at the pizza expo in vegas this coming april. Pizza all day, cocaine and hookers all night and if I have any money left I might find some time to gamble.

Love how Jersey thinks its NY lol but you can be sure I'll get my hands on that mustard pizza because that's actually something I've never had, I appreciate the suggestion. Great topic.
Pghcraig10
Prospect

Post by Pghcraig10 »

Where do you get pizza in Bloomfield? Not many left there other than calientes and angelos?

From the time I was 18 to 27 I lived in Oakland/Shadyside and the best then and now are Mineos and Aiellos. Fiore’s is my personal favorite

I have never heard of a kabob on a pizza either and I’ve had pizza all over town and every direction into the suburbs my entire life.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

It's without question Todaro is in full control of Buffalo. You don't act so cool on camera to some random pizza dude if you've not completely solidified your position in the underworld stretching from Buffalo into Canada.

All kidding aside, these mob guys often have lots of charm and feel comfortable being on camera. Just look at video footage of Genovese, Bonanno, Merlino or of DiFronzo being randomly harassed and acting cool and like a gentleman. Obviously Todaro puts a lot of time in his legitimate business and therefore being in contact with his customers on a daily basis and being social is part of his job as he's the face of his franchise. That still doesn't mean he's completely out of the game. As a matter of fact the rules of the Mafia are that you can't go out (unless you buy yourself out with millions and become a pastor but those are exceptions to the rule). I still find it believable that New York may have asked him to promote Violi so he could run the show in Canada and that he had to oblige as he will always be part of that life as long as he's alive, legitimate, retired or not.
Last edited by Lupara on Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

Lupara wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:29 pm It's without question Todaro is in full control of Buffalo. You don't act so cool on camera to some random pizza dude if you've not completely solidified your position in the underworld stretching from Buffalo into Canada.

All kidding aside, these mob guys often have lots of charm and feel comfortable being on camera. Just look at video footage of Genovese, Bonanno, Merlino or of DiFronzo being randomly harrashed and acting cool and like a gentleman. Obviously Todaro puts a lot of time in his legitimate business and therefore being in contact with his customers on a daily basis and being social is part of his job as he's the face of his franchise. That still doesn't mean he's completely out of the game. As a matter of fact the rules of the Mafia are that you can't go out (unless you buy yourself out with millions and become a pastor but those are exceptions to the rule). I still find it believable that New York may have asked him to promote Violi so he could run the show in Canada and that he had to oblige as he will always be part of that life as long as he's alive, legitimate, retired or not.
I think all the publicity that he’s been getting might come back to haunt him...that’s if he has anything to hide
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:24 pm You don't have to be Italian to make good pizza (this is coming from an italian) it's just somewhat more authentic. Good technique and superb ingredients is what it takes. Everyone has their own point of view but someone said NY pizza is shit and that's laughable. NYC is the beating heart of the pizza world..not naples not chicago not anywhere else. It's here and always will be and this is not an opinion it's a fact. I'd have to scroll up to see who said that but I'd like to know which NYC places you've eaten at to come to that conclusion. I realize it's an opinion and but anyone who knows anything about pizza would never say something as absurd as that. I've had almost every kind of pizza imaginable even with pineapple on it which most people loathe but if its done right (with ham, speck or guanciale) I'll eat it. Not sure if I've mentioned it but I fucking love pizza. Anyone who is up for it I'll be at the pizza expo in vegas this coming april. Pizza all day, cocaine and hookers all night and if I have any money left I might find some time to gamble.

Love how Jersey thinks its NY lol but you can be sure I'll get my hands on that mustard pizza because that's actually something I've never had, I appreciate the suggestion. Great topic.
There is NOTHING that even remotely comes close to a NYC style pizza, whether it’s “Napolitano“ style or “Sicilian” style, it’s simply THE best and ground zero of pizza making in America! (Lombardi on Spring Street WAS the first pizzeria in America)!
-
AND I’ve got news for ya, these pineapple pizzas, ham and all these new fangled topping are a bad friggin joke!
-
And a abomination of the “church” of pizza making!
-
Traditional pie is really what it’s supposed to be. With a few subtle Italian style variations: mushrooms, pepperoni, prosciutto.... etc.!
-
The rest? Hahahahaaha! Don’t make me laugh! 😎🇮🇹