Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by B. »

Wiseguy posted in the charts section that there may be up to 7 living members of the Rochester group. If this is true, it's possible they are technically back under Buffalo and could account for a big chunk of the 30 alleged Buffalo members. Not saying their membership gives any measurable strength to the Buffalo group, only that it could fill up a few of the blanks we've been discussing.

The Commission matter involving Russotti, Todaro, and Fat Tony Salerno would give some credence to the idea that there continued to be some involvement between the two groups, friendly or not, which would seem inevitable given their proximity and history. As MD said, the Commission assigned Valenti to Milano when he moved west but would be curious if the other Rochester members were assigned to Buffalo at some point, or if this is where the murky Bonanno situation comes in.
The Justice Department said the dispute involved reputed Buffalo boss Samuel Rossetti and underboss Joseph Todaro Sr. It apparently was over Rosetti's intention to step down and who would replace him.

John Tronolone, a leader of the Cleveland family, formerly with the Buffalo organization, was with Salerno, hearing out a problem from Joseph Pieri, a counselor from Buffalo.

When the Salerno and Tronolone heard the problem, not spelled out on the tape, nor explained through corroborating testimony, Salerno said, 'Give him (believed to be Rossetti) the word from the commission.'
So Russotti is looking to step down, there is a dispute related to this involving Joseph Todaro, and Salerno is sending a message, allegedly to Russotti, about the Commission's ruling. This is the same conversation where Salerno said his famous "big boys" line about dealing with the Commission. Given what Capeci said about the Commission not recognizing Rochester as a family, we could interpret these vague comments to mean Russotti was stepping down and Salerno was sending word that they should fall in line under Todaro. Just one interpretation but would fit with other context.

Not that Rochester "fell in line" with Buffalo at this time, only that they may have been directed to do so.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

9CAEFBD1-4A5A-4032-863E-31B1DAD8FEC0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

I guess he didn’t set the message that “a Don doesn’t were shorts.”
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

This is one of the best threads i've seen on this forum. 👍
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

I think it's possible that the remaining members of Rochester are now members of Buffalo. Great thought B.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Six, since one died in June and another wasn't made. And even then I'm not 100% sure about all of them. There have been a lot of names ties to Rochester on the forums over the years and these guys are simply the ones that are most likely to be made, from what i can tell. And one would think we would have seen one or more of their names pop up on a chart or in an article if they had been accepted back into the Buffalo fold.

1. Dominic (Sonny) Celestino/89
2. Anthony Colombo/77
3. Frank Frassetto/70
4. Thomas Marotta/77
5. Donald Paone/76
6. Loren Piccarreto/68
All roads lead to New York.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

NickleCity wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 pm 2006-2012: The Todaro's "go legit" leaving Falzone as Acting Boss and eventually boss upon Todaro Sr's death in 2012.
Here is another option: I know some on this forum do not believe Fino is reliable, so take it for what it is worth, but his opinion is that Falzone was serving as the Front Boss for the Todaro’s. He writes, “Leonard Falzone: Enforcer for the Todaro Family. Some say he is the current boss but I believe it is Joe Todaro Sr. and that Leonard is fronting for him.”

IMO it makes sense that Joe never stepped down, but wanted people to think he had gone legit.
Looks like there is precedent for using a front or street boss and that Todaro in '78 became such for someone in the Buffalo crime family whose name is redacted from this document.
Todaro Sr. made Front or Street Boss in '78.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

NickleCity wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:58 pm
Something else that is interesting is that the FBI’s special agent Naum indicates Todaro Jr. was essentially the acting boss as far back as ‘89. The Buffalo news articles states:

“The Naum statement says Joseph Todaro Jr., 43, of Amherst, is now running the local arm of La Cosa Nostra because his father, who is 65 and who splits his time between his Tonawanda home and Florida, is in "semi-retirement."

Here is the link: https://buffalonews.com/1989/07/26/toda ... -of-crime/
So in according to this FBI document Buffalo approximately 100 members in '77.
Buffalo LCN 100 members '77 Is Joe Todaro Jr. redacted name as memeber.png
Then according to the Buffalo News document I mentioned above the family had 45 made members in '89. That is a reduction of 55 members in 12 years. Was the '77 estimate too high? Was the Buffalo family falling apart? Did the Rival faction get shelved and replaced with people the FBI didn't know about? Other thoughts? What are your opinions?

For some reason it link above doesn't work for me on the Buffalo News site anymore. Here is a link to it on the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20190727134 ... -of-crime/
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

NickleCity wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:35 pm Then according to the Buffalo News document I mentioned above the family had 45 made members in '89. That is a reduction of 55 members in 12 years. Was the '77 estimate too high? Was the Buffalo family falling apart? Did the Rival faction get shelved and replaced with people the FBI didn't know about? Other thoughts? What are your opinions?

For some reason it link above doesn't work for me on the Buffalo News site anymore. Here is a link to it on the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20190727134 ... -of-crime/

I read it as counting members and associates in a rough estimate by whoever the informant in question was.

Good find by the way. Clears up some of the confusion about the administration during the 1970s.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:44 pm
NickleCity wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:35 pm Then according to the Buffalo News document I mentioned above the family had 45 made members in '89. That is a reduction of 55 members in 12 years. Was the '77 estimate too high? Was the Buffalo family falling apart? Did the Rival faction get shelved and replaced with people the FBI didn't know about? Other thoughts? What are your opinions?

I read it as counting members and associates in a rough estimate by whoever the informant in question was.

Good find by the way. Clears up some of the confusion about the administration during the 1970s.

Pogo
Not sure how much this clears things up about 70’s and early 80’s administrations. It appears the FBI received conflicting accounts from informants. Here are some relevant documents from half of the files I have. Haven’t had time to go thru the rest.

Here are the leaders of the Pieri and Fino factions in 1970:
Pieri Fino Faction leaders 1970.png
In 1973 the family was split between Frangiamore and Fino factions.
Buffalo leadership split btw Fino, Frangiamore factions.png
1977 Frangiamore said to be boss, Carlisi underboss and Pieri consigliere.
Buffalo LCN 100 members '77 Is Joe Todaro Jr. redacted name as memeber.png
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

1977 Frangiamore still boss of family but figurehead. Joe Todaro front boss and Frangiamore steps down in 1978.
Todaro Sr. made Front or Street Boss in '78.png
1978 Joe Todaro intermediary or Street Boss, to be made boss but only “figure head” in near future.
'78 Todaro Sr made %22figurehead%22 boos.png
1978 Todaro on equal basis with unnamed boss, 78 reported Joe Todaro to be unnamed boss’s underboss, 79 reported that Frangiamore was boss, Carlisi underboss, Pieri, Joe Todaro, Cassaro, and two more unnamed were capos.
Buffala Boss and Todaro Equals, Represented by Genevese.png
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

1979 Todaro, Pieri, Frangiamore faction that gains power splits Leadership divided between Pieri’s and Todaro’s, 81 Todaro faction strongest of the two
Buffalo Family divided btw Pieri & Todaro factions '81.png
1989-1981 Joe Todaro has vacated underboss position.
Joe Todaro Underboss '80 '81, Inovled Edgewater Hotel Vegas.png
1981 Joe Todaro boss and strongest LCN figure in WNY
Todaro #1 LCN figure in WNY.png
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

1981 Warning of possible war between Todaro and Pieri
Source warns possible bloodshed btw Pieri & Todaro factions in '81.png
1983 warning of war between Todaro Pieri
83 Warning of War between Pieri Todaro.PNG
1984 Todaro said to just be underboss
Todaro Just Underboss in 1984.PNG
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

1985 Pieri Faction Uprising
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Pieri Faction Uprising in 85-4.PNG