Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Clark
Straightened out

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Clark »

Frank wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:58 pm
Clark wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:04 am
antimafia wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:34 am ^^^^
Here you go:

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... c350b448f1
I believe that in a an earlier post, Mr. Manning identified the individual referenced in this article as Antonio Commisso?
Aren't the Commisso Ndrangheta?
If he is referring to the Commissio family that I think he is, they are different from the Toronto-based ones (although I don't know if there is a relation).
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Clark wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:03 pm
Here you go:

I believe that in a an earlier post, Mr. Manning identified the individual referenced in this article as Antonio Commisso?
If he is referring to the Commissio family that I think he is, they are different from the Toronto-based ones (although I don't know if there is a relation).
Ok thanks. So is the spelling different it just a spelling error. I noticed one ends so and the other sio.
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

Frank wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:13 pm
Clark wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:03 pm
Here you go:

Ok thanks. So is the spelling different it just a spelling error. I noticed one ends so and the other sio.
Sorry, that is just me typing on my phone. If Mr. Manning is talking about who I think he is, it is also spelled Commisso.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:03 pm 1. Never that I have seen. In the 2006 FBI chart Todaro Sr. was the listed Boss and Falzone a Soldier. I don't think he was
Consigliere either. That was fresh street talk on the forums. Donald "Turtle" Panepinto was listed as Consigliere in the 1997 chart and he died in 2011.

2. None that I have seen. His name came up in articles from 2010 and 2015. No mention of him being the Boss.

3. Pretty sure the Calzone thing first appeared with ScottB. Never seen I mentioned anywhere else before he used it.

This 2017 article talks about Falzone and makes no mention of him being Boss or Consigliere. When he died the local Buffalo paper did an article on him and made no mention of being the Boss or Consigliere either. "The Calzone" never appeared either nor did appear on the 2006 FBI chart even though other nicknames were included.

https://buffalonews.com/2017/03/19/fbi- ... perations/
Here in Buffalo, Leonard F. Falzone, long identified by the FBI as a mob enforcer and leader of loansharking operations, was sentenced to federal prison for five years in 1996. A trusted comrade turned against him, testified at Falzone’s trial and joined the federal Witness Protection Program.

Falzone, whom prosecutors had called one of the region’s most feared mob figures in his prime, died of an illness late last year. He was 81.
1A So rather than list it as defunct the FBI took their time to identfy a Boss and Soldier for Buffalo circa 2006. That should bring everyone up to the same page at least into the mid-2000's.

1B I swear I seen him listed as Consigliere by an official source, I want to say in the 25 Years After Valachi Hearings but I'm not certain. When I have a chance I'll look for it.

1C I recall the Fresh Street Talk being that Falzone succeeded Todaro upon his death, not that Falzone was consig (which I thought was established). Falzone was floated as the new boss due to him being next in the hierarchy and because Joe Todaro Jr. looks like a fag. I don't remember you being there but you had to have been. This came up around 2011 everyone was asking for Little Joe Shots, when you typed Todaro real deal had it automatically change to Dotaro since the consensus was that they were legitimate. I remember stating that there was no evidence anyone succeeded 'Dotaro' and that the only reason Falzone is suggested was because he was consig and someone played Mafia chess and kinged him. The person who first made the suggestion took offense, I don't recall his name. Any of this ring a bell?

2 I wonder why that was stated, specifically that a configuration was occuring while Falzone was boss, I wonder if this was discussed in the wiretaps also? (Canada's policies frustrate the hell out of me, they never name anyone without a criminal record, I guess we're lucky that even this came out.)

3 I seem to recall it predating Scott but now you have me wondering. I have no problem deleting it.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

1B. I thought so to but now I'm not so sure. The 1987 chart in 25 YAV lists the Consigliere as Joseph Pieri. The Capo names are blurry but one of them looks like Falzone.

1C. I do remember that though it went back even further. The fresh street talk back in the early/mid 2000s was that Consigliere Falzone was Acting Boss and Sonny Nicoletti the UnderBoss because the Todaros were retired. There was a lot of BS floating around about Buffalo back then. Same with Milwuakee and St. Louis.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Falzone is referenced as consigliere here - http://www.ipsn.org/laborers/internatio ... newest.htm
(d) On July 11, 1994, Leonard Falzone, the consigliere of the Buffalo LCN family, while serving as the administrator of the benefit funds for LIUNA Local 210, Buffalo, New York, was convicted of RICO and RICO conspiracy in relation to the collection of unlawful debts through the use of implicit threat of violence, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1962 (c) and (d). Sentencing of Falzone is pending. Following his conviction, Leonard Falzone was replaced as administrator of the Local 210benefit funds by his brother, Frank Falzone.
Also, this older article: http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/Sto ... letti.html
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

eboli wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:33 pm Falzone is referenced as consigliere here - http://www.ipsn.org/laborers/internatio ... newest.htm
(d) On July 11, 1994, Leonard Falzone, the consigliere of the Buffalo LCN family, while serving as the administrator of the benefit funds for LIUNA Local 210, Buffalo, New York, was convicted of RICO and RICO conspiracy in relation to the collection of unlawful debts through the use of implicit threat of violence, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1962 (c) and (d). Sentencing of Falzone is pending. Following his conviction, Leonard Falzone was replaced as administrator of the Local 210benefit funds by his brother, Frank Falzone.
Also, this older article: http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/Sto ... letti.html
1987: 25YAV:
Boss: Joe Todaro Sr
Underboss: Joe Todaro Jr (am I correct?)
Consigliere: Joe Pieri. (Thanks Pogo)

1994:
Underboss: Joe Todaro Jr
Consigliere: Leonard Falzone

1997: FBI Agent:
Underboss: Joe Todaro Jr
Consigliere: Donald Panepinto

2006: FBI:
Soldier: Leonard Falzone

2006-2012: The Todaro's "go legit" leaving Falzone as Acting Boss and eventually boss upon Todaro Sr's death in 2012.

2013: Robert Panaro's name is floated as possible Acting Boss for Falzone. Frank BiFulco and Victor Sansonese were floated as being or having been Consigliere.

2014: The group is allegedly reconstructed under boss Falzone who died in 2016.

2015: Domenico Violi is inducted into the Buffalo LCN. Rocco Luppino is promoted to capo.

2017:
Boss: Joe Todaro Jr
Underboss: Domenico Violi
Consigliere:
Last edited by Angelo Santino on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:46 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:03 pm [snip]

3. Pretty sure the Calzone thing first appeared with ScottB. Never seen I mentioned anywhere else before he used it.

This 2017 article talks about Falzone and makes no mention of him being Boss or Consigliere. When he died the local Buffalo paper did an article on him and made no mention of being the Boss or Consigliere either. "The Calzone" never appeared either nor did appear on the 2006 FBI chart even though other nicknames were included.
[snip]

3 I seem to recall it predating Scott but now you have me wondering. I have no problem deleting it.
Scott Burnstein and Al Profit's gangsterreport.com was created on June 2, 2014 (see https://www.whois.com/whois/gangsterreport.com or https://www.godaddy.com/whois/results.a ... gofd3001ab.

This supposed nickname for Falzone -- "The Calzone" -- may indeed be an Internet fabrication, but the nickname did not originate with Scott. Scott has indeed used the nickname "Calzone" in his articles, omitting the "The."

A Gangster BB post from December 28, 2012 -- the post starts off the thread -- shows "The Calzone" nickname for Falzone being used by a poster near the very top of the thread -- see http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbth ... Post685726.

As Pogo is already aware, reporter Mike Hudson of the Niagara Falls Reporter used "The Calzone" nickname for Falzone in a January 8, 2013 article. In fact, Pogo had an interaction with NickleCity about this last November -- see viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4122&p=94884&hilit=Calzone#p94884.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 pm 2006-2012: The Todaro's "go legit" leaving Falzone as Acting Boss and eventually boss upon Todaro Sr's death in 2012.
Here is another option: I know some on this forum do not believe Fino is reliable, so take it for what it is worth, but his opinion is that Falzone was serving as the Front Boss for the Todaro’s. He writes, “Leonard Falzone: Enforcer for the Todaro Family. Some say he is the current boss but I believe it is Joe Todaro Sr. and that Leonard is fronting for him.”

IMO it makes sense that Joe never stepped down, but wanted people to think he had gone legit.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

NickleCity wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 pm 2006-2012: The Todaro's "go legit" leaving Falzone as Acting Boss and eventually boss upon Todaro Sr's death in 2012.
Here is another option: I know some on this forum do not believe Fino is reliable, so take it for what it is worth, but his opinion is that Falzone was serving as the Front Boss for the Todaro’s. He writes, “Leonard Falzone: Enforcer for the Todaro Family. Some say he is the current boss but I believe it is Joe Todaro Sr. and that Leonard is fronting for him.”

IMO it makes sense that Joe never stepped down, but wanted people to think he had gone legit.
Forgive me, I'm not well versed on the players. Just so I'm correct, Fino (a made guy) claimed this about Falzone, do we have a specific year? What about Fino is controversial?
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

antimafia wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:01 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:46 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:03 pm [snip]

[snip]

Scott Burnstein and Al Profit's gangsterreport.com was created on June 2, 2014 (see https://www.whois.com/whois/gangsterreport.com or https://www.godaddy.com/whois/results.a ... gofd3001ab.

This supposed nickname for Falzone -- "The Calzone" -- may indeed be an Internet fabrication, but the nickname did not originate with Scott. Scott has indeed used the nickname "Calzone" in his articles, omitting the "The."

A Gangster BB post from December 28, 2012 -- the post starts off the thread -- shows "The Calzone" nickname for Falzone being used by a poster near the very top of the thread -- see http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbth ... Post685726.

As Pogo is already aware, reporter Mike Hudson of the Niagara Falls Reporter used "The Calzone" nickname for Falzone in a January 8, 2013 article. In fact, Pogo had an interaction with NickleCity about this last November -- see viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4122&p=94884&hilit=Calzone#p94884.
Yes and his brother was known as Frankfurter Falzone
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:27 pm
NickleCity wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 pm

Forgive me, I'm not well versed on the players. Just so I'm correct, Fino (a made guy) claimed this about Falzone, do we have a specific year? What about Fino is controversial?
Ron Fino, his Dad was made and served in the administration in the 70’s when Buffalo was split into factions. Ron was an associate and the informer who worked with the FBI to eradicate the mob from 210. He wrote about Falzone being the front boss in his book The Triangle Exit that book is copyrighted 2013–at least my Kindle edition. Additionally, he is quoted in a Buffalo News article saying that he believed the federal trusteeship of 210 never rid the local of its mob influence and pointed to the fact that the Capitano brothers were back in control of the local. Here is that excerpt from the article:
Today, Fino maintains that the government's cleanup of the Laborers international - and of Local 210 - didn't go far enough. While admitting he has no direct information about current wrongdoing in the local, Fino said he is skeptical of the Justice Department's claims that mob influences were totally removed from Local 210 and the Laborers international.
Fino pointed out that, in the 1990s, Sam Capitano, the current business manager of Local 210, was an outspoken critic of efforts to remove mob influences from the Buffalo local.
In March 1995, then serving as a Local 210 steward, Capitano repeatedly told The News the federal government was greatly exaggerating the influence of mobsters on the local. He was a vocal leader of a group that filed a lawsuit, claiming there was absolutely no mob influence on Local 210 and no need for a cleanup.
Yet speaking to The News on Sept. 14 this year, Capitano said he is now convinced that the government takeover was needed and was successful in removing mob influences from the Laborers' leadership.
"We weren't against the reforms. We were against the way the trusteeship was put on us," Capitano said. "The reform plan that was put in place prevents [organized crime] from having any influence in our union...I feel these changes were good and necessary."
Asked about Fino's opinion of Local 210, Capitano said he is "appalled."
"I think he's just trying to sell books," Capitano said
Here is what he said about the Capitano brothers in his book:
Peter Capitano Jr.: Strong associate of Joe Todaro Jr. and Victor Sansanese. Came from the Pizza gang and was placed into his leadership role by the Todaros. At first fought the takeover of Local 210 Laborers Union International. Today, now that he is back in the leadership states it was a good idea.

Samuel Capitano: Brother of Peter and a member of the Pizza Gang; a confident of Joseph Todaro Jr.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

^^^^ Link to Buffalo News article quoted above: https://buffalonews.com/2012/09/30/life ... nside-guy/

Also a link to a letter he wrote to the Buffalo News after the story ran: http://ticklethewire.com/2012/10/01/for ... fferently/
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

What is controversial about Falzone...Capitano responded to the allegation by saying — “He will do anything to sell books.” Folks take Capitano’s argument and and think he is not credible because he link OJ Simpson to Buffalo mob like Gone Gotti mentioned a little earlier in this thread.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

Chris Christie wrote:
Lupara wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:08 pm
scagghiuni wrote:
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:54 am And in 2014 the Family was reconstituted while ailing Leonard Falzone was boss. While I know nothing about the man, if he was boss since 2006 (source?) why wait until 2014 to reconstruct? Given his age, makes me wonder if external forces pushed for the Family's regeneration. And given what's come out the likely suspects are the Bonannos. But why? If Buffalo was officially defunct (in the eyes of NYC, not the FBI) then the Bonannos- in theory- would have the right to go into Buffalo's former territory.

So much we don't know.
maybe it was just protocol because some buffalo members (joe todaro and others) are still alive, maybe violi wanted to join a small family but with a high rank rather than bonanno's, or maybe the other families didn0t want the bonanno's expanded so much taking over ontario also... joe todaro lives in florida and there was a meeting of the commission over there according to violi
He could've joined the Bonannos and still become capo for them in Canada due to his father's legacy, who was de facto capo.
I agree, I strongly suspect LCN protocol was the reason if the Bonannos had a hand in resuscitating Buffalo. If the Family is recognized within the mafia universe as being there, they are prohibited from having activity in that territory without an OK. San Francisco and Scranton are evidence to that. But while that's a rule just like every other rule we've seen examples of it being broken. Fratianno while misrepresenting himself as Acting Boss went to NY and accurately made the case that Los Angeles had too many unsanctioned east coast and Chicago members there and that if someone tried that in NYC that they'd be murdered for it. But the general takeaway is its a rule, it's the reason why D'Elia was treated as The Boss of Scranton despite no existing Family there. One potential way around that rule is for a Family to be taken under its wing by another Family. We seen this with Tampa and the Gambinos and Chicago was rumored to have this arrangement with other midwestern groups. Not saying that the Bonannos took Buffalo under their wing, but so far that's the only Family in NY we have seen Buffalo linked to. Could be a coincidence or something more to that.

Rather than say there's no more functioning commission, let me say that the ruling body went dormant in 1985 unless there's a reconstituted body have regular meetings I wouldn't consider bosses being bosses occasionally working in a quid pro quo basis as a commission. But I'm sure not everyone will agree with me there which is fine.

Regarding Violi joining Buffalo instead of Bonanno, it's interesting. Perhaps one day we'll understand the backstory and circumstances a little more.
It's an interesting scenario and may explain it all.

Because the Buffalo guys are still around the Bonannos could not plant their flag in Ontario so instead they renewed their ties to Buffalo members and forge a new alliance as part of their reorganization in Canada. Montagna seems to have taken the initiative to approach the Violis in his attempt to seek allies in Ontario. To expand further upon this relationship the Bonannos may have requested Todaro (who they still recognise as boss of Buffalo) to make Violi underboss so he would have the authority to reorganize things in Southern Ontario in order to support the Bonannos' efforts in Quebec. This would explain why the Violis were invited as guests to the Bonanno ceremony. In effect, they may be just an extention of the Bonannos in Ontario in case Buffalo itself is all but dormant.