Visiting New England 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Visiting New England 1963

Post by Angelo Santino »

Here is what the document listed, ranks updated. No idea who was crewed up with who. Two Captains living in Boston, one in Arlingon, one in Providence, one in Revere. The Ebolis of the Gens were born in Revere if I recall correctly. Not including Worcester/Springfield names they are 38 listed members.

Boss - Raymond Patriarca (Providence, RI)
Under - Joseph Lombardo (Boston, MA)
Con - Frank Cucchiara (Brookline, MA)

Capodecina:
Jerry Angiulo (Boston, MA)
Joseph Anselmo (Arlington, MA)
Michael Rocco (Boston, MA)
John Williams (Revere, MA)
Henry Tameleo (Providence, RI)

Members:
John Nappi Bangor, ME

Anthony Cataldo GEN? Boston, MA
John DeMeo Boston, MA
Niola Giso Boston, MA
Paul Intiso Boston, MA
Anthony LaMattina Boston, MA
Ralph LaMattina Boston, MA
Leo Santaniello Boston, MA
Henry Selvitella Boston, MA
Lawrence Zannino Boston, MA

Theodore Fuccillo Medford, MA
Peter Limone Medford, MA
Joseph Modica Medford, MA

Anthony Santaniello Providence, RI
Americo Bucci Providence, RI
Giovanni Candelmo Providence, RI
Alphonse Capalbo Phobie Providence, RI
Ronald Cassessa Providence, RI
Frank Forte Providence, RI
Frank Gaglione Providence, RI
Umberto LePore Albert Providence, RI
Joseph Patriarca Providence, RI
Santo Ruggerio Providence, RI
Rudy Sciarra Providence, RI
Giuseppe Simonelli Providence, RI
Louis Taglianetti Providence, RI

Anthony Della Russo Revere, MA
Peter DiCarlo Revere, MA
Samuel Granito Revere, MA
Alexander Rizzo Revere, MA
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting New England

Post by PolackTony »

Gennaro "Jerry" Angiulo was born in 1919 in Boston to Cesare Angiulo and Giovanna Fimiani. Cesare was from Cassano delle Murge (Cassene in Bares'), Bari, while Giovanna was from Montoro, Avellino (Montoure in Napuletan'; this is in the immediate vicinity of Bracigliano/Quindici, where a number of Springfield, MA, members were from, and which was also connected in Chicago). Cesare and Giovanna married in Boston in 1915.

As a kid, Jerry Angiulo lived at 95 Prince St in Boston's North End Italian colony; father Cesare was a proprietor of a grocery store. As of 1950, Angiulo lived at 240 Spring St in Medford, MA, and listed his occupation as proprietor of a grocery store. His wife's name was given as Anna. I believe that she was Anna Susanna Raskauskas, born in 1924 in Cambridge, MA; her parental surnames clearly indicate that she was Lithuanian.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Tony Santaniello was born Antonio Aniello Giulio Santaniello in 1903 in Boston to Giuseppe Santaniello and Celesta Lepore, both from Avellino province. Giuseppe was from Quindici (again with Quindici) and Celesta seems to have been from Lapio; they married in 1898 in Boston. As a kid, Tony Santaniello lived at 28 Fleet St in the North End; father Giuseppe worked as a baker. On his WW1 draft card, Giuseppe was living and working in San Francisco while his family stayed behind in Boston (he died in 1920). In 1932, Tony Santaniello married Agnes Sullivan, of Portsmouth, NH.

As of 1950, Tony Santaniello was living at 245 Tappan St in Brookline, Ma, and stated that he was the proprietor of a restaurant. Santaniello died in 1960 in Brookline, however, and thus shouldn't be on this chart unless you want to include recently deceased members.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Giuseppe Lombardo was born about 1896 in Salemi, Trapani. This best matches a Giuseppe Lombardo born in 1896 in Salemi to Vito Lombardo (a contadino) and Maria Lombardo. In 1929, Giuseppe Lombardo filed his naturalization papers in Boston and stated that he had arrived in the US in 1906 at NYC. While I didn't find an arrival document for him, a Vito Lombardo from Salemi arrived in NYC bound for Boston that same year; in 1917, he was living in Framingham and stated that his father was Giuseppe Lombardo in Salemi. Giuseppe Lombardo was associated with the North End, though the earliest address I could confirm for him was in 1929 when he stated that he lived at 100 Lawrence in Medford. In 1930, he stated that he was living in Chelsea, MA, where he was reported to have been living in a 1927 gun case in the papers. in 1927, he married Pasqualina "Lena" Pagnotta, born in Boston to parents from Teora and Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi, Avellino province. His WW2 draft card had him living at 170 Crosby St in Arlington, MA; he stated that he was self-employed but did not give an industry.

Giuseppe Lombardo died in Everett, MA, in 1969; according to his obit, he was survived by his wife Lena, and there seem to be no records that they had any children.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Raimondo Loreto Salvatore "Raymond" Patriarca was born in 1908 in Worcester, MA, to Eleuterio Patriarca of Arce, Frosinone, Lazio, and Vincenza "Mary Jane" DeNubila. Mary Jane was born in 1833 in Worcester, MA, to Giuseppe DeNubila and Maria Scandora. According to his 1882 naturalization document, Giuseppe DeNubila was from "Naples" (which often could mean anywhere in Campania) and had previously lived in Louisville, KY, before moving to Worcester. Eleuterio had arrived in Boston in 1903, bound for Providence where his brother Giuseppe Patriarca already lived; he married Mary Jane in Worcester that same year. By 1910, the Patriarcas were living at 161 Atwells Ave in the Federal Hill Italian colony in Providence; Eleuterio was the proprietor of a tavern.

By 1940, Raymond was married to Eleonora "Helen" Mandella, who was born in 1909 in Worcester. Her parents were fruit peddler Giuseppe Mandella and Giuseppina Mercurio. I couldn't confirm Giuseppe's origins beyond "Palermo" (surname may have originally been Mondello or Mendola); Giuseppina was from Termini Imerese (like Vinny Teresa's family). Unsurprisingly, she had cousins in Chicago, where a ton of Mercurios from Termini settled. Helen was the mother of Raymond Patriarca, Jr.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

John Harold Williams was born in 1912 in Revere, MA, to Antonio Guglielmo, aka Anthony Williams, and Maria Antonia Fronduto, aka Mary Williams; both parents were from San Sossio Baronia, deep in the Apennine highlands of Avellino province (a bunch of Italians named Williams in Boston and Revere; many seem to have been Avellines'). John Williams married Eleanor Kelly of Newburyport, MA; in 1950, they lived in Winthrop, MA, where John stated he worked as a hotel manager.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Joe Lombardo was the underboss.

A lot of info here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9371

Will try to comb through later and see how it adds to a 1963 chart.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

I've heard that John Willliams sponsored Genovese member John "Johnny Coke" Lardiere . Does anyone know more about that or their relationship?

- Lardiere was arrested in Boston over an armed robbery (https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1108515 ... -freedman/)

- Lardiere was incarcerated in Boston during the 1940 census too (https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... 61452:2442?)
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Francesco "Frank the Cheeseman" Cucchiara was the consigliere.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:12 am Francesco "Frank the Cheeseman" Cucchiara was the consigliere.
I have Francesco Cucchiara as born in 1895 in Salemi. In 1932, it was reported that Cucchiara ran C&F Imports with Joe Lombardo and Salvatore Cangemi. In 1950, Cucchiara lived at 15 Lorimer Rd in Belmont, MA; his cheese import store (Purity Cheese Co) was located at 55 Endicott in Boston’s North End. Following the Appalachin bust in ‘59, it was reported that Cucchiara lived in Watertown and no longer owned the cheese store. It was also reported that Cucchiara was “semi-retired” from the mob at that time but still served in an advisory capacity. In the late 50s, the FBN believed that Cucchiara was one of the top narcotics guys in the US mafia.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

When was luigi manocchio and Anthony st laurent made into the Mafia?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Thank you guys for delving into this. I gotta play catch up. I'll type out the list and then compare them to the Gen charts and subtract the overlapping names like Cufari, post the list there and go from there.

Tony, can't thank you enough, brother.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I'm going to try and whip out the Luccheses origins first before deep diving New England, Genoveses are mostly done from a research point and now just need to be accurately crewed up and old perceptions revisited. Anyways............

it appears the Worcester and Springfield faction or factions of LCN were lumped into both the Genovese and Patriarca Families- here are the ones listed in both along with Cufari and Scibelli:

Nicholas Camerota GEN Springfield, MA - Salerno
James Collaro GEN? Worcester, MA - Napoli
Chester Iacone GEN? Worcester, MA - Crotone
Salvatore Iacone GEN? Worcester, MA - Crotone
Carlo Mastrototaro GEN Worcester, MA - Bari
Cosmo Panarelli GEN Worcester, MA - Puglia
Thomas SanFratello GEN Worcester, MA - Sclafani Bagni, Palermo
Francis Santo GEN Worcester, MA - Potenza

Do we have evidence that that points which direction their affiliation was? Worcester could have been an extension of Springfield or they separate factions. The cities were 50 miles away. Worcester could have been affiliated with one decina or these men could have been members of different family decinas who lived in Worcester. Their mostly mostly mainland roots makes them a toss up between Gen and NE but the Gambinos can't be ruled out.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Visiting New England 1963

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Angelo "Chester" Iacone was later confirmed to be a NE member.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:50 am I'm going to try and whip out the Luccheses origins first before deep diving New England, Genoveses are mostly done from a research point and now just need to be accurately crewed up and old perceptions revisited. Anyways............

it appears the Worcester and Springfield faction or factions of LCN were lumped into both the Genovese and Patriarca Families- here are the ones listed in both along with Cufari and Scibelli:

Nicholas Camerota GEN Springfield, MA - Salerno
James Collaro GEN? Worcester, MA - Napoli
Chester Iacone GEN? Worcester, MA - Crotone
Salvatore Iacone GEN? Worcester, MA - Crotone
Carlo Mastrototaro GEN Worcester, MA - Bari
Cosmo Panarelli GEN Worcester, MA - Puglia
Thomas SanFratello GEN Worcester, MA - Sclafani Bagni, Palermo
Francis Santo GEN Worcester, MA - Potenza

Do we have evidence that that points which direction their affiliation was? Worcester could have been an extension of Springfield or they separate factions. The cities were 50 miles away. Worcester could have been affiliated with one decina or these men could have been members of different family decinas who lived in Worcester. Their mostly mostly mainland roots makes them a toss up between Gen and NE but the Gambinos can't be ruled out.
I’m not sure about the affiliations of the Worcester guys that you named here, but the city had both Genovese and New England members. I believe it was Vinny Teresa who claimed that Patriarca said that while Worcester was technically his territory, he shared it out of respect to Vito.

My understanding is that Nick Camerota was a Genovese soldier under Cufari. I’m not aware that the NE outfit had any members based in Springfield, but what do I know. I’ve also never heard of any Gambino presence in Worcester.