Bonanno and Genovese mobsters and L.I. cop busted for racketeering charges in lucrative gambling ring

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Dr031718
Sergeant Of Arms

Bonanno and Genovese Bust today

Post by Dr031718 »

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr/ni ... es-charged

Defendants include Anthony Pipitone and Carmen Polito
Last edited by Dr031718 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Re: Bonanza and Genovese Bust today

Post by JohnnyS »

Another Genovese bust. That's three already this year. Thanks for posting.
TSNYC
Straightened out

Re: Bonanno and Genovese Bust today

Post by TSNYC »

Nassau Detective charged as well.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Interesting case. Running gambling out of suburban Italian soccer clubs and cafes, reminds me of the 90s era Chicago suburbs.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
StandUpGuy
Straightened out

Post by StandUpGuy »

It seems that all the 5 families are very active in Queens.
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

Macario looks like a new name, so that is another Genovese member identified this year
"I can’t deal with this. I can’t believe it goes on there. I can’t. Only in Ohio.” - Carmine Agnello
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

I believe Joseph Macario was identified as being associated with the Genovese at the Fulton Fish Market, prior to the market's relocation. I would assume it is the same guy.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Clark wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:44 am I believe Joseph Macario was identified as being associated with the Genovese at the Fulton Fish Market, prior to the market's relocation. I would assume it is the same guy.
https://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/11/nyre ... arket.html
In recent years, Joseph Macario, the owner of a successful company at the Fulton Fish Market, acquired the nickname Joe Chief.

New York City officials, asserting that the nickname stemmed from Mr. Macario's new role as the market's top mobster, banned him yesterday and closed his company, which provided security and parking spaces for customers at the market.

The eviction was ordered by Deputy Mayor Rudy Washington, who said that a background investigation linked Mr. Macario, 36, to the Genovese and Gambino crime families and to a pattern of violence and labor disruptions at the market.

Law enforcement and city officials, noting that the removal of other suspected mobsters from the market had provoked work stoppages in October and January, said they were concerned that the action against Mr. Macario could lead to disruptions. Randy M. Mastro, Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani's chief of staff, who is in charge of a campaign to rid the market of corruption, said that police reinforcements would be sent to the market. But at 1 this morning, fish was being unloaded without incident.

Gerald J. McMahon, Mr. Macario's lawyer, denied that Mr. Macario had any ties to organized crime and emphasized that he had never been arrested or accused of a crime.

Mr. McMahon said that the closing of Mr. Macario's company, Farrington Fish Receivers, had upset many market merchants and employees. "I did hear that there might be expressions of discontent with the fascist Mayor and his chief of staff," Mr. McMahon said.

Mr. Washington, who is also the Commissioner of the city's Department of Business Services, the agency that regulates the market, said the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Police Department's Detective Bureau had identified Mr. Macario as a Genovese family associate and that he also had met with Gambino family members in Little Italy.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Clark wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:44 am I believe Joseph Macario was identified as being associated with the Genovese at the Fulton Fish Market, prior to the market's relocation. I would assume it is the same guy.
A 1996 article mentions Joseph ″Joey Chief″ Macario, 36. That would make that guy 62-63 today. The Joseph Macario in today's indictment is 68. That said, it's certainly possible the age in the Fulton Fish Market article was incorrect. If it's the same guy, would make sense his nickname is "Joe Fish," though it doesn't appear that was his nickname back in the 1990s.
All roads lead to New York.
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

If it is the same guy, here is an image of him:

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

BeFunky-collage_gyef72.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All roads lead to New York.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Macario kicked up to Malangone in 1990s. He had a few reported nicknames. Palooka Joe was one of them -- after the comic about the boxer.
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

These are the most obviously looking fronts I’ve ever seen
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Clark wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:51 pm If it is the same guy, here is an image of him:

Good find.

I'm pretty sure it's the same guy and the NY times got his age wrong.