Revisiting Philadelphia 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Revisiting Philadelphia 1963

Post by Angelo Santino »

If I remake this chart, this will be what I'll be going off. I made it some time ago so any updates and/or corrections would be much appreciated.

jmack
Straightened out

Re: Revisiting Philadelphia 1963

Post by jmack »

Just one minor housekeeping issue. It’s Bridgeton, NJ, not Briggeton. This list looks good though.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I like the color coding for the regional ancestry, but the colors for the Abruzzesi and Calabresi are a bit difficult to match to the legend at the top.

Looks like you have Calabresi guys like Scarfo and the Laganas with the same color as an Abruzzes' like Funzi Marconi?

I don't know if anyone has ever confirmed this, but my impression is that Philly had more Abruzzesi members than any other family? A chart like this really makes it clear. Reflects the ways that Italian community dynamics fed into the recruitment pools of different families in their own local contexts (like all the Lucani in Chicago, for example).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

The colors were originally different but when I copied and pasted it into another document they changed and never corrected them. This was made years ago so I will want to recheck this stuff as I'm prone to error.

Bridgeton yes.

Any disagreements with the admin? Any members who should be on there or taken off?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

B found a transcript that indicates Mario Maggio wasn't made.

Wasn't Carmine Battaglia a Genovese member?
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Alfred Iezzi wasn’t a capo of Chester and probably wasn’t a capo yet.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Panel?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:30 am Panel?
I can think of another name for that sort of thing. Was this ever confirmed or hinted at by other CIs? I wonder -- if this arrangement indeed was the case at this time -- if it reflected a longer-standing practice in Philly, or was instead a short-term or limited arrangement specific to this era. If this is the only report claiming this, it limits what we can infer from it I think, unless there are other sources at least suggesting that there was a group (council, committee, board, etc) charged with decision-making or dispute-arbitration for the family. We've seen by this point how common that sort of thing really was, so it doesn't take a huge leap to consider that Philly had a Consiglio at some point in the past. Did Celeste Morello ever touch on anything similar?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Yeah I didn't think so but just wanted to post it anyway. Maybe someone would see something I didn't.

Anyway, scratch member "Salvatore Sabelli" off the lists. They clearly meant Sabella and believed he was dead.

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Be happy to go through this at a later time.

The info about three consiglieri came from Rocco Scafidi when he first began cooperating. He didn't report this later on, so hard to say if he was just taking a guess at the set-up after he was taken off the shelf, i.e. he had existing knowledge about a council set-up when he was made in 1950 and assumed it was still in place.

I haven't seen anything from Angelo Bruno's wiretaps or other sources about a council but they didn't always discuss it explicitly in Families that had it. Could go either way with Philly, a council would make sense given their size / factionalism.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Eline2015 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:30 am Alfred Iezzi wasn’t a capo of Chester and probably wasn’t a capo yet.
I posted something above indicating he was a captain. I'm just pulling up what I'm finding on Mary Ferral, what makes you think he wasn't?

From Mary Farrel:
The two Captain change overs for the sixties involved Peter Maggio replacing Iezzi before 1967 due to poor health (maybe he resumed his position later?) and Joseph Lanciano replacing Massi due to his sodomy charges at some point after 1963.

1 John Capello
2 Felix John DeTullio
3 Alfred Iezzi
4 Pasquale Massi
5 Dominick Olivetto
6 Nicholas Piccolo
7 Joseph Scafidi
8 John Simone
9 Philip Testa
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:38 pm Be happy to go through this at a later time.

The info about three consiglieri came from Rocco Scafidi when he first began cooperating. He didn't report this later on, so hard to say if he was just taking a guess at the set-up after he was taken off the shelf, i.e. he had existing knowledge about a council set-up when he was made in 1950 and assumed it was still in place.

I haven't seen anything from Angelo Bruno's wiretaps or other sources about a council but they didn't always discuss it explicitly in Families that had it. Could go either way with Philly, a council would make sense given their size / factionalism.
Mmmm nahhh.. If you're going to spend any time on this chart, your resources could be used in other places. I didn't think there was a consiglio I just posted that for discussion sake is all.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I meant I'll be happy to go through the chart later. Already a great foundation but we can make 1963 Philly one of the most accurate charts of any Family from that time.

Nothing else to add about a council -- you posted the only possible reference I've seen.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Frank Altadonna? Very little info on him out there. This may be him. 9/12/1897 - 11/1985

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Tony Banana's parents- Rocco and Rosina Guerrazza- were from Salerno, settled in Chicago, had Tony and eventually made their way to Philadelphia after Rosina died of the Spanish Flu. Maybe you guys knew he wasn't Calabrese but I didn't, all you ever read about was him heading up the Calabrian wing of the Family. Interesting.

Also Michael Cammarata/Cammarota of Trenton's mom was listed under two names- Maria Simone / Marietta Mastrosimone. Could there be a relation to John Simone? I think they came from Villaba as well.