"Organized Retail Crime"

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

"Organized Retail Crime"

Post by Ivan »

All right fellas, google "organized retail crime," there's tons of stuff out there and the elaborate rings with their structures and their shitty popup Amazon vendors and whatnot are fascinating. You're hearing about this a lot more in the news now because progressive DAs who refuse to prosecute theft of less than like $900 have turned this racket into a gold mine in certain cities.

Here's an interesting recent case: https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga/pr/fa ... -sentenced

I wonder if anyone in the Five Families has been involved with one of these rings? I could see them recruiting pillheads in the metro area to work as "boosters" to pay for their habits.

Edit to add another big case: https://losspreventionmedia.com/story-b ... rime-case/
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: "Organized Retail Crime"

Post by Wiseguy »

I remember reading Walgreens had to close 5 stores in San Francisco recently. But not to worry, Gavin Newsom is on top of it ---> https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local ... rings.html These latest incidents seem to involve flash mobs that show up in large groups and storm the place like termites before making an escape.

When it comes to overseeing boosters and that kind of thing, there was a case 5 years ago up in Providence where mob associate Richard TIberi was charged with overseeing an organized retail theft ring that used boosters who would shoplift items such as razors, teeth whitening strips, Rogaine and medication sold over the counter, deliver them to Tiberi's Decatur Social Club, where he would pay cash (25% of the price), and then resell them on eBay or ship them out in bulk.

But while we do see the mob involved in stolen goods from time to time, involvement in this form of it is pretty rare.
All roads lead to New York.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Older info, but a while back in Chicago I knew a bunch of guys working in big box store loss prevention there. According to them, the thinking at the time was that much of the large-scale, organized theft-ring stuff was carried out by Eastern Europeans -- Romani (Gypsies) in particular.

I could see LCN in the past maybe dipping their beaks in this kind of thing, as (in Chicago, as elsewhere) they had fencing rings to move swag (burglaries, truck/train break-ins/hijacking, etc). Today, independent operators can presumably move a significant volume of stolen merch on their own via the internet. Doesn't seem like an area that's ripe for mob control for that reason to me, today, though it wouldn't shock me if a couple of guys might have their hands in this sort of thing. Old rackets are drying up and whoever's still left trying to make a buck as a street guy will need to seize any opportunity.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:03 pm Older info, but a while back in Chicago I knew a bunch of guys working in big box store loss prevention there. According to them, the thinking at the time was that much of the large-scale, organized theft-ring stuff was carried out by Eastern Europeans -- Romani (Gypsies) in particular.

I could see LCN in the past maybe dipping their beaks in this kind of thing, as (in Chicago, as elsewhere) they had fencing rings to move swag (burglaries, truck/train break-ins/hijacking, etc). Today, independent operators can presumably move a significant volume of stolen merch on their own via the internet. Doesn't seem like an area that's ripe for mob control for that reason to me, today, though it wouldn't shock me if a couple of guys might have their hands in this sort of thing. Old rackets are drying up and whoever's still left trying to make a buck as a street guy will need to seize any opportunity.
As I recall Anthony Giachonne had a bust five or six years ago in Naperville over some retail theft ring.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:20 pm
PolackTony wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:03 pm Older info, but a while back in Chicago I knew a bunch of guys working in big box store loss prevention there. According to them, the thinking at the time was that much of the large-scale, organized theft-ring stuff was carried out by Eastern Europeans -- Romani (Gypsies) in particular.

As I recall Anthony Giachonne had a bust five or six years ago in Naperville over some retail theft ring.
Anthony "Giachonne"? Did you mean Giaccone, Giacchino?

Speaking of Giacchino, it was alleged on the old ANP site that the Tony Catalano who disappeared in 2010 (presumably moving pills for Joe Giacchino) was heavy into retail theft.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Wasn't there a big multi-million dollar retail theft scheme in the last 10 years? I vaguely remember reading something about it and recently tried to find it but came up empty. I think it was on the east coast and I keep thinking it had something to do with Iphones or some electronic.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

I had a friend I went to college with that worked at Victoria Secret. She told me she almost got fired once because she tried to physically stop someone shoplifting over $1000 worth of merchandise. Victorias Secret company policy was not to allow any employees to try and stop shop lifting. Apparently it had something to do with insurance. They are only allowed to call security or the police.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

OcSleeper wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:16 pm Wasn't there a big multi-million dollar retail theft scheme in the last 10 years? I vaguely remember reading something about it and recently tried to find it but came up empty. I think it was on the east coast and I keep thinking it had something to do with Iphones or some electronic.
Are you talking Cosa Nostra here or just in general? Because just in general there's tons of shit out there. Just google "organized retail crime," these dickheads are stealing $30 billion a year.
Wiseguy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:52 pm When it comes to overseeing boosters and that kind of thing, there was a case 5 years ago up in Providence where mob associate Richard TIberi was charged with overseeing an organized retail theft ring that used boosters who would shoplift items such as razors, teeth whitening strips, Rogaine and medication sold over the counter, deliver them to Tiberi's Decatur Social Club, where he would pay cash (25% of the price), and then resell them on eBay or ship them out in bulk.
OK I didn't exactly expect to hit paydirt with an LCN connection but Wiseguy comes through with the good stuff. Thanks!
PolackTony wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:03 pm Doesn't seem like an area that's ripe for mob control for that reason to me, today, though it wouldn't shock me if a couple of guys might have their hands in this sort of thing. Old rackets are drying up and whoever's still left trying to make a buck as a street guy will need to seize any opportunity.
That's what I was thinking. From what I understand, the boosters are almost all drug addicts, and there's a shitload of pillheads in Staten Island etc., and something like 700 made guys and thousands of associates... would not be shocked if a couple soldiers are into this.
PolackTony wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:13 pm
funkster wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:20 pm As I recall Anthony Giachonne had a bust five or six years ago in Naperville over some retail theft ring.
Speaking of Giacchino, it was alleged on the old ANP site that the Tony Catalano who disappeared in 2010 (presumably moving pills for Joe Giacchino) was heavy into retail theft.

Thanks for the leads. These are Outfit associates, right?

Thanks for the feedback and info fellas. This just kind of blew my mind when I found out about it. It's just so weird, I always thought of shoplifting as mostly just random kleptos trying to get a quick thrill, or people who just didn't want to pay for something, but... apparently like 85% is organized crime done professionally. Amazing.
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

The Luchesse and Gambino NJ crews had a big theft ring in Home Depot type stores about 10 years ago or so
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

TommyNoto wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:45 am The Luchesse and Gambino NJ crews had a big theft ring in Home Depot type stores about 10 years ago or so
Yes they were switching bar codes of tools at the Lowe’s in Paterson, was an Andy Merola crew scheme.

-Dante
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

NJShore4Life wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:35 am
TommyNoto wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:45 am The Luchesse and Gambino NJ crews had a big theft ring in Home Depot type stores about 10 years ago or so
Yes they were switching bar codes of tools at the Lowe’s in Paterson, was an Andy Merola crew scheme.

-Dante
thanks for the lead guys
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

Asking for a friend , What City isnt Prosecuting on Black Friday ???
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

NJShore4Life wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:35 am

-Dante
Found it, thanks for the lead. Looks like he made over a hundred grand.

https://www.justice.gov/archive/usao/nj ... g%20PR.pdf
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Nope sorry, it was Giannone lol. Ive got the article somewhere on my computer, it was from 2014 and in the Sun Times I believe.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:41 pm

Nope sorry, it was Giannone lol. Ive got the article somewhere on my computer, it was from 2014 and in the Sun Times I believe.
Ah, that's right, thanks. Giannone IIRC was working with Vince Forliano there.