Hitmen: The Mafia, Drugs, and the East Harlem Purple Gang by Scott Deitche

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

John W
Straightened out

Hitmen: The Mafia, Drugs, and the East Harlem Purple Gang by Scott Deitche

Post by John W »

It comes out May 2022

In the mid-1970s, there were a series of gangland murders, committed by unknown killers, often wielding .22-caliber revolvers. At first these murders seemed unconnected, but law enforcement started noticing links to organized crime and by 1978, federal authorities were involved in the investigations. The FBI compiled a list of 25 gangland figures killed, from potential witnesses and low-level associates, to made men. All shot with a .22 between 1975 and 1978, all from the same batch of guns purchased in Florida, some even the same weapon. The main suspects were members of the East Harlem Purple Gang. Starting on the fringes they quickly became a violent offshoot syndicate of the Mafia, some even became high-ranking members of the Genovese, Bonanno, and Lucchese families. Often serving as freelance hitmen, kidnappers, and drug traffickers, their exploits quickly crossed into mythology. The Purple Gang became an almost obsession with the media. Accounts of the Gang's activities popped up in the newspapers across the country in the late 1970s. They were the shadow army of the underworld and every law enforcement agency's favorite suspect. They were accused of being behind all the major mob hits through the early 1980s and became the ultimate boogeyman in the era of mob upheaval and a flailing New York City mired in crime and financial woes. Digging through the mystery and mythos, Scott Deitche brings the gritty City of the late 1970s and early 1980s back to life in this in-depth account of the Purple Gang, the real members, their operations, and where some of the major players are today.
don-shunter
Straightened out

Re: Hitmen: The Mafia, Drugs, and the East Harlem Purple Gang by Scott Deitche

Post by don-shunter »

This looks great.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Looking forward to this one - Scott is a pleasure to talk to and very informative.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Is there a list of possible members?
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Should be good.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Looking forward to checking this out. Bravo to Scott D.

Lived on Pleasant Ave and 118 years back and got to know a number of old timers from back in the day. They would point out some of the buildings that were used as heroin warehouses and packaging/distribution points; supposedly the women that were employed for the packaging operations were required to work naked to ensure they didn't smuggle any dope out. I was told that the old wire factory that used to be on 117 between Pleasant and the FDR (where the little mall with Costco is now) was where the "mob" used to dump bodies.

I used to know an older black dude who grew up in "Spanish Harlem" (like 3rd Ave and 110). When I once asked him if people from his side of the neighborhood ever went over past 1st Ave, his eyes got super big and he was like "By the Italian side?!? Oh no, no, no!!". This guy had lived in some of the roughest parts of Harlem and the Bronx back in the "bad old days", but "Italian Harlem" was really off the hook in the 70s by all local accounts I've heard.

I once met this really wild, thugged out Italian dude from Pleasant Ave (rocking a do-rag and all) who told me he had just came out of a long prison sentence and was stunned at all of the gentrification and demographic change in the area. He showed me where he had his leg reconstructed from a shotgun blast. Dude reminded me exactly of a New York version of the old C-Notes in Chicago (very rough Italian street gang from my old neighborhood) and I've wondered since then if he was a member of the "Purple Gang".
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
TSNYC
Straightened out

Post by TSNYC »

Hoping this is a good book. I’m curious what kind of sourcing material exists. Really can’t recall any racketeering trials against gang members for their gang membership so not sure there’d be a ton of trial transcripts / material to go by.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

looks great! If I sign nda, can I pay you for the manuscript LOL
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

white guy wear a doo rag?
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

CornerBoy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:50 am white guy wear a doo rag?
I’ve only seen this twice in NYC, so far as I can recall, lol. This guy from Pleasant Ave and another time in Broad Channel.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

I’d love this book. I hope it will atleast have a reference to the murder of Michael Meldish
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Also looking forward to this!
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Thanks for sharing. I didn't even know they posted this on the publisher site yet! We're choosing the artwork for the cover now.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Pmac2 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:58 pm Is there a list of possible members?
Gotta buy the book!

Here are a few of the 'core' members, that most know:

Angelo Prisco
Pasquale Prisco
Michael Meldish
Joseph Medlish
Paul Caiano
Frank Viserto Jr.
Danny Leo
John Dellavalle
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Dave65827 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 am I’d love this book. I hope it will atleast have a reference to the murder of Michael Meldish
Yes, for sure.