Free Like A Bird Once Again: No More Federal Oversight For Skinny Joey, Philly Mafia Don Let Off Parole

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Free Like A Bird Once Again: No More Federal Oversight For Skinny Joey, Philly Mafia Don Let Off Parole

Post by furiofromnaples »

Scott Burnstein -
July 28, 2021

July 28, 2021 – From his comfy Boca Raton digs, Philadelphia mob boss Joseph (Skinny Joey) Merlino can now go about his business as he wishes with the lifting of all parole restrictions from his 2018 gambling conviction this week. Per three different sources, Skinny Joey threw himself a small party Monday night to celebrate the news.

The swashbuckling, larger-than-life Merlino did one year of prison time, one year of house arrest and one year of supervised release for a gambling bust five years ago out of federal court in New York. His flashbulb-heavy reign atop the rackets in the City of Brotherly Love has made him a household name in Philly, akin to a sports celebrity, popular movie actor or chart-topping musical artist.<
/p>

Merlino’s trial on racketeering and sports betting charges ended in a mistrial and he copped to a single gambling count to avoid going back in front of a jury. Skinny Joey relocated to South Florida in 2011 after serving 12 years on a separate federal racketeering case from his days living in South Philly. Merlino, 59, was convicted in that case exactly 20 years ago this week, on July 20, 2001.

According to the FBI, Merlino and his crew of equally media-savvy boyhood pals took power by force in Philly’s Bruno-Scarfo crime family in the 1990s when they were just in their early thirties and still run the city’s Italian underworld today. Merlino, per the feds, runs his organization through a series of proxies and buffers, shuffling back and forth between Philly and Boca Raton.

FoxPhilly29 and Mob Talk Sitdown’s Dave Schratwieser was the first to break the news of Merlino’s pending parole lift earlier this month on one of his and NY Times Best-Selling author George Anastasia’s Mob Talk Sitdown video segments. Merlino is expected to be visiting South Philly and taking a vacation to the Jersey Shore in the coming weeks, according to multiple people in contact with Skinny Joey himself.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Re: Free Like A Bird Once Again: No More Federal Oversight For Skinny Joey, Philly Mafia Don Let Off Parole

Post by Pmac2 »

He'll be all over america planting flags. Good for him
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Free Like A Bird Once Again: No More Federal Oversight For Skinny Joey, Philly Mafia Don Let Off Parole

Post by Dave65827 »

I wonder what will happen next for Joey. If I remember right in the Rubeo testimony he said Joey had a plan to do a healthcare fraud scheme in philly after the East Coast LCN one ended
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Thanks for the post Furio.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
thesociety 89
Straightened out

Post by thesociety 89 »

The lad cant help himself, he'll be commiting crimes till he's 80.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Dave65827 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 pm I wonder what will happen next for Joey. If I remember right in the Rubeo testimony he said Joey had a plan to do a healthcare fraud scheme in philly after the East Coast LCN one ended
Thanks SonnyBlackstein.

Dave,for my if Joey understood the lesson,he will be more low key and try to expand the family rackets. The Philly mob isnt the same of Scarfo sr era but is small but active family an Joey have many loyalists so can easly return to philly.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

I'm curious to see if he will go on a podcast as mobtalksitdown noted before and SB as well I think. I know for a fact mobtalksitdown mentioned it.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

He gave the interviews yo george telling them he was retired. George actually beieved him and reported it while the whole time joeys meeting mobsters all over the place sceaming
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Nowhere in George's reporting did he give his personal opinion about Joey retiring...he reported what Joey told him.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Dave65827 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 pm I wonder what will happen next for Joey. If I remember right in the Rubeo testimony he said Joey had a plan to do a healthcare fraud scheme in philly after the East Coast LCN one ended
Joey will inevitably be indicted for racketeering, again. Weather he gets life or not, Idk. He has a lot of skeletons in his closet, but unless the feds flip someone close to him, I doubt the feds will be able to pin any homicides on Joey.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

furiofromnaples wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:42 am
Thanks SonnyBlackstein.

Dave,for my if Joey understood the lesson,he will be more low key and try to expand the family rackets. The Philly mob isnt the same of Scarfo sr era but is small but active family an Joey have many loyalists so can easly return to philly.

Fur.... U make it to easy ... Like did u really suggest it's a GOOD IDEA for Joey.... To move back to Philly and expand his rackets???

I'm not saying his dumb ass WONT .... But he deff SHOULD NOT do that.

But hey. Life on installment plan is not so bad for everyone.... He's doing better then Gotti did.

Shit if anything..... He had a awesome run considering 12 or 14 years was the longest he did. For being a boss since the 90s he Gucci

Write the book joey I'll read it
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

JeremyTheJew wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:41 pm
Thanks SonnyBlackstein.

Fur.... U make it to easy ... Like did u really suggest it's a GOOD IDEA for Joey.... To move back to Philly and expand his rackets???

But hey. Life on installment plan is not so bad for everyone.... He's doing better then Gotti did.

Shit if anything..... He had a awesome run considering 12 or 14 years was the longest he did. For being a boss since the 90s he Gucci

Well he maybe could stay out philly when his friends do the dirty work and send him the money but hey is what he did and why change habit when youre only have 60 years so young and now free?
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

furiofromnaples wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:01 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:41 pm
Thanks SonnyBlackstein.

Well he maybe could stay out philly when his friends do the dirty work and send him the money but hey is what he did and why change habit when youre only have 60 years so young and now free?
Lol.... Exactly.... He's still "relatively young" .... And now free.

So far doing EXACTLY WHAT YOU JUST SAID .... Has not really worked out in his favor
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Joey was lucky,he did in what another Joey aka crazy Joe Gallo failed. He with a bunch of wannabes take control of a mob family but Scarfo sr was in prison,Stanfa haven't much men on his side and when was arrested Joe become the boss.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

What happened to Gaetano Horsehead Scafidi who was a part of Merlino's crew but he would later defect to Stanfa? I think that he became a government informant.