really dumb question

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

ThutmosisChen
On Record

really dumb question

Post by ThutmosisChen »

Are a lot of American mobsters overweighted?

I`ve seen some portrayals of mobsters in TV shows where a decent amount of them are not exactly physically fit. Is that only because the USA population in general has issues with obesity or is that specific to Italian mobsters? I recall seeing obese gangsters of other ethnicities on TV as well but since I`ve never been to the US and never seen any real gang members in person I cannot tell how realistic those portrayals are.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: really dumb question

Post by Wiseguy »

I think there's definitely some truth to that. And the fictional portrayals are just reflecting it. Probably why a guy like Jack Garcia didn't stand out too much.

That said, I'm not sure Italian-American mobsters are that different from the overall American population, where roughly 1/3 are obese and another 1/3 are overweight to some degree.
All roads lead to New York.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

In Chicago they’re no more likely to be obese then the general population, but that ain’t saying much. Just go to Ricobene’s when it’s popping and look around lol.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

In Making Jack Falcone, former undercover FBI agent Jack Garcia says that when he infiltrated the Gambino family, they ate almost non-stop. They would spend the day meeting with other mobsters in restaurants, then go out late at night and eat at IHOP or whatever. He gained a lot of weight during his time with them and actually wound up in the hospital at one point as a result.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Ralph deleo said the same thing, that it was tons of eating, mind you he was the acting boss so he had to do a lot more meetings and dinners than the average made guy. And even then he wasn’t really overweight. In my opinion they are roughly the same weight as any other blue collar white men in the us.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

What’s funny is Joe Massino, who was already a really heavy guy, actually gained a lot more weight in prison. He refused to eat the prison food so he was just living off sweets, candy, junk food, and peanut butter and really packed it on.
ThutmosisChen
On Record

Post by ThutmosisChen »

Very interesting. I also wonder if mobsters usually build muscles? I know some of them are freakishly strong but again stereotypically mobsters are all about eating, not so much about keeping fit or bodybuilding.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

ThutmosisChen wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:25 pm Very interesting. I also wonder if mobsters usually build muscles? I know some of them are freakishly strong but again stereotypically mobsters are all about eating, not so much about keeping fit or bodybuilding.
Some of the old school guys were strong like monsters, fat or not, as some of those guys actually worked hard jobs at points in their lives when they were younger, etc, and most came from legit street, tough guy backgrounds in neighborhoods where they fought, scrapped, etc.

I forget the exact story, but I recall some NY guy (maybe a Genovese guy) some years ago who was disparaging the younger guys and telling them that only pussies go to the gym to build muscle, that he got strong by ripping the heads off chickens at work with his bare hands lol. Something like that.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

I think these guys didn’t care about their physical appearances as much because women would still approach them due to their status. I can imagine Paul Vario or Ronnie One Arm get approached by women with hour glass bodies. (talking back then idk about now)
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:19 pm What’s funny is Joe Massino, who was already a really heavy guy, actually gained a lot more weight in prison. He refused to eat the prison food so he was just living off sweets, candy, junk food, and peanut butter and really packed it on.
Guy must’ve looked like he belonged on my 600lb life
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Rat wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:10 pm
Amershire_Ed wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:19 pm What’s funny is Joe Massino, who was already a really heavy guy, actually gained a lot more weight in prison. He refused to eat the prison food so he was just living off sweets, candy, junk food, and peanut butter and really packed it on.
Guy must’ve looked like he belonged on my 600lb life
I think it’s in the Basciano book...his lawyers talked about how shocked they were when they saw Massino in court. The guy had been locked up for a year and it looked like he put another 70 pounds on what was already a *really* heavy frame.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Vincent Teresa from the patriarca crime family was known as Fat Vinnie for a reason. He was close to Henry Tameleo and Raymond Patriarca.

Anthony the Saint st. laurent suffered from a list of health problems such as high cholesterol but was still active in crimes.

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... d-his-ways
Southshore88
Straightened out

Post by Southshore88 »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:58 pm
ThutmosisChen wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:25 pm Very interesting. I also wonder if mobsters usually build muscles? I know some of them are freakishly strong but again stereotypically mobsters are all about eating, not so much about keeping fit or bodybuilding.
Some of the old school guys were strong like monsters, fat or not, as some of those guys actually worked hard jobs at points in their lives when they were younger, etc, and most came from legit street, tough guy backgrounds in neighborhoods where they fought, scrapped, etc.

I forget the exact story, but I recall some NY guy (maybe a Genovese guy) some years ago who was disparaging the younger guys and telling them that only pussies go to the gym to build muscle, that he got strong by ripping the heads off chickens at work with his bare hands lol. Something like that.
Going off the trend with some of the old school guys who were strong like monsters, Sonny Franzese was one of the few people from his generation (let alone mobsters from that generation) who took physical fitness very seriously. He also didn't drink much, maybe a glass of wine here or there and was very observant about what he ate. That attention to his physical well-being as well as good genes allowed him to live to 103.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Southshore88 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:10 am Sonny Franzese was one of the few people from his generation (let alone mobsters from that generation) who took physical fitness very seriously. He also didn't drink much, maybe a glass of wine here or there and was very observant about what he ate. That attention to his physical well-being as well as good genes allowed him to live to 103.
Half of that was in the can. Gimme the candy.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Southshore88
Straightened out

Post by Southshore88 »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:30 pm
Southshore88 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:10 am Sonny Franzese was one of the few people from his generation (let alone mobsters from that generation) who took physical fitness very seriously. He also didn't drink much, maybe a glass of wine here or there and was very observant about what he ate. That attention to his physical well-being as well as good genes allowed him to live to 103.
Half of that was in the can. Gimme the candy.
Amen.