Sonny Ciancutti died (Pittsburgh)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Sonny Ciancutti died (Pittsburgh)

Post by JCB1977 »

"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Ivan
Full Patched

Re: Sonny Ciancutti died (Pittsburgh)

Post by Ivan »

Was he the last made guy left alive? I can't remember (or even remember if he was actually made lol).
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Mustangsally
Straightened out

Post by Mustangsally »

Ivan wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:08 pm Was he the last made guy left alive? I can't remember (or even remember if he was actually made lol).
Yes, he and lenny strollo were the last two. Its officially done in the burgh.

If anyone has knowledge, was he still making book? Or did that end in 2000?
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Yes indeed, he outlived the Rat :D
Considering the enormous size of his book making operation, I can't imagine that he wasn't. As long as he was breathing, he was booking ;)
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Another one bites the dust.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Mustangsally
Straightened out

Post by Mustangsally »

FriendofHenry wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:42 pm Yes indeed, he outlived the Rat :D
Considering the enormous size of his book making operation, I can't imagine that he wasn't. As long as he was breathing, he was booking ;)
I figured as much :D . Did your friend ever have much to say about Sonny?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

The last of the Mohicans.

Pittsburgh joins Scranton, Milwaukee, Dallas, Denver, San Francisco and San Jose as cities with no living members.
All roads lead to New York.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Mustangsally wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:17 pm
FriendofHenry wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:42 pm Yes indeed, he outlived the Rat :D
I figured as much :D . Did your friend ever have much to say about Sonny?
Not to any degree. I never met Sonny. In fact I really didn't know just how much action he covered. If I didn't meet you I really didn't know much or anything about you. Henry didn't talk much about other in the biz, "Old School" ;) I don't do research I only know what I know from my personal experiences. The only BIG BMs I knew were Tubby Levine's son, Morry and Paul Hankish who booked old man Art.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:38 pm The last of the Mohicans.

Pittsburgh joins Scranton, Milwaukee, Dallas, Denver, San Francisco and San Jose as cities with no living members.
Yup, all them Pittsburgh Mohicans are now dead Braves and Chiefs :(
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Milwaukee might still have living members. Not sure. Is Eugene Smaldone Jr still alive? He is the last Denver member and is pretty old.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:17 pm Milwaukee might still have living members. Not sure. Is Eugene Smaldone Jr still alive? He is the last Denver member and is pretty old.

Pogo
I think Joseph Caminiti was the last one in Milwaukee when he died in 2014.

As far as Denver goes, Paul Villano died in 2003, Clarence Smaldone died in 2006 and Eugene Smaldone Jr. died in 2014.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks. I must have missed Smaldone's death. For Milwaukee I remember someone posting SSDI entry that had Caminiti dying in 1995. This was back when the fresh street talk in the 2000s had him as the Boss of a 30+ member family.

Pogo
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:35 pm Thanks. I must have missed Smaldone's death. For Milwaukee I remember someone posting SSDI entry that had Caminiti dying in 1995. This was back when the fresh street talk in the 2000s had him as the Boss of a 30+ member family.

Pogo
I thought this was him but, either way, I don't think there's anyone left.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/js ... id=3259593
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

This would be the one I was refering to.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/145 ... h-caminiti

We know Caminiti was already a Captain or Consigliere by the early 1960s which lines up more with the one born in 1904 but who knows. For living members, considering how KC, Clevleand and St. Louis still have living members it wouldn't surprise me if a few Mileaukee leftovers are still alive since they were of comparable size to those families.

Pogo
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:19 pm This would be the one I was refering to.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/145 ... h-caminiti

We know Caminiti was already a Captain or Consigliere by the early 1960s which lines up more with the one born in 1904 but who knows. For living members, considering how KC, Clevleand and St. Louis still have living members it wouldn't surprise me if a few Mileaukee leftovers are still alive since they were of comparable size to those families.

Pogo
It's possible but a couple things make me skeptical. First, unlike those other families, I'm not sure a single living member in Milwaukee can be positively identified at this point. Second, after the vending machine and Vegas skim cases against Balistrieri in the mid-1980s, can anyone even think of another mob case out of Milwaukee after that? I can't.