Tony Corallo 20 years later

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Jimmy Napoli
Straightened out

Tony Corallo 20 years later

Post by Jimmy Napoli »

On this date 20 years ago Tony died in the prison?From this time distance,what we can say about him?Rulled Luccheses for over 15 years in peace,was interested in gardening and opera.If feds didnt bugged Jaguar,i think there was nothing else they could senteced for longer sentence.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Re: Tony Corallo 20 years later

Post by TallGuy19 »

I wonder what he thought of the Lucchese family and the mob in general after he went to prison. He must have regretted turning the family over to Amuso and Casso.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:00 am I wonder what he thought of the Lucchese family and the mob in general after he went to prison. He must have regretted turning the family over to Amuso and Casso.
I think it was more chrissy tick who influenced decision rather then corallo
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:00 am I wonder what he thought of the Lucchese family and the mob in general after he went to prison. He must have regretted turning the family over to Amuso and Casso.
Big time, they destroyed a family that Tommy Lucchese & Corallo spent decades building & maintaining in 6 years. I read Casso’s book, I wonder what turned him into a murderous psycho.
SB1825
Straightened out

Post by SB1825 »

No idea why he picked Vic and Gas as his successors. Shouldn’t have given those BK guys the power. The underboss ‘Tom Mix’ Santoro must have been pissed, he warned Corallo against it.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Shellackhead wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:55 am
Big time, they destroyed a family that Tommy Lucchese & Corallo spent decades building & maintaining in 6 years. I read Casso’s book, I wonder what turned him into a murderous psycho.
He was always a psychopath; part of the reason the FBI tore up his cooperation agreement was that he was so evil and vicious that they were apprehensive about putting him on the witness stand in front of a jury. At one point while he was being debriefed he started laughing while telling the agents that he had once shot a guy, and while they were burying him he kept getting up and trying to climb out of the hole, so Casso whacked him with a shovel and proceeded to bury him alive.

My guess is that he became paranoid about informants once he was in a leadership position, and his murderous tendencies went into overdrive.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Jimmy Napoli
Straightened out

Post by Jimmy Napoli »

SB1825 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:52 am No idea why he picked Vic and Gas as his successors. Shouldn’t have given those BK guys the power. The underboss ‘Tom Mix’ Santoro must have been pissed, he warned Corallo against it.
Actually Corallo put Anthony "Buddy" Luongo as acting boss sometime in early 1986. But Luongo "misteriously"
disappeared same year.To avoid internal war Corallo told them to decide which one would take the mantle Casso or Amuso.They picked Amuso.
SB1825
Straightened out

Post by SB1825 »

Jimmy Napoli wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:15 pm
SB1825 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:52 am No idea why he picked Vic and Gas as his successors. Shouldn’t have given those BK guys the power. The underboss ‘Tom Mix’ Santoro must have been pissed, he warned Corallo against it.
Actually Corallo put Anthony "Buddy" Luongo as acting boss sometime in early 1986. But Luongo "misteriously"
disappeared same year.To avoid internal war Corallo told them to decide which one would take the mantle Casso or Amuso.They picked Amuso.
Did Casso ever divulge info about the Luongo hit? I have not seen what he said about it. I saw in a book, I don’t remember which, that Luongo was hit because he was “briefly considered” for the AB position. Of course, I haven’t seen what Casso said about the murder. Although Casso isn’t exactly the most reliable source. Corallo must have okayed the Luongo hit IMO. He was still the boss when Luongo disappeared after all. Probably influenced into giving the OK by Casso, Amuso, & ‘Christy Tick’ Furnani, who was the Brooklyn based consigliere.
MSFRD
Straightened out

Post by MSFRD »

Unless Casso and Amuso were put in the top positions by Corallo I find it hard to believe two guys just whacked the acting boss and took over the family. Psychopath or not, one man is not bullet proof. If a family of 100 plus men with however many crews went along with this it seems more plausible/likely they were just following the rules and obeying orders from above. But then the scenario is that Corallo approved a hit on Luongo and installed Casso and Amuso. Which seems bizarre he would approve the killing of an apparently capable, well respected leader who for lack of a better word had not done anything to warrant any sanction against him. If Furnari pressured Corallo to appoint Casso and Amuso then why kill another candidate in good standing? All Corallo would have to do is state who he wishes to be in charge and the rest follow. Strange scenario that’s always had me intrigued ever since I read Five Families.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Luongo wasn't the acting boss, he was just a Bronx capo and contender to take over after Corallo.

In the Philip Carlo book, Casso claims that when Corallo gave his blessing for Amuso to become the new boss he gave them the contract on Luongo. Casso claimed there were rumours that Luongo was planning on taking the family over.

Al D'Arco claimed he had been told about the murder by Amuso and Casso. They told him that Luongo was part of a plot hatched by Tom Mix Santoro to take over the family in 1986 and that Anthony DiLapi had also been involved.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:56 pm Luongo wasn't the acting boss, he was just a Bronx capo and contender to take over after Corallo.

In the Philip Carlo book, Casso claims that when Corallo gave his blessing for Amuso to become the new boss he gave them the contract on Luongo. Casso claimed there were rumours that Luongo was planning on taking the family over.

Al D'Arco claimed he had been told about the murder by Amuso and Casso. They told him that Luongo was part of a plot hatched by Tom Mix Santoro to take over the family in 1986 and that Anthony DiLapi had also been involved.
Very interesting. Is it known who were the soldiers/ associates in Luongo’s Bronx crew?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

Tony ducks I think was a great boss very lowkey we know a little about tony a little about christie tic but not alot about tom mix the family had killers earners unions and not alot of issues . Seemed like a good balanced admin . Any one have info on tom mix and his circle please? Dilapi info about his garment district interests? Nephew gene? Other relations and people close to him maybe some of the bronx posters ?
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

D Arco book (and capeci) are more credible then casso and that book....

I missed that part when I read it....

So Luongo came under Tom Mix ?

The Bronx historically was Bronx admins, so did they all come from same circles??

How many bronx crews were there pre Casso era?
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Mean to say *the Luke's generally had Bronx admins
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Bronx-Westchester Crew:
?-Joseph “Joe Brown” Lucchese (19??-1970s) Stepped Down.
Anthony “Tony Higgins” Castaldi (19??-1981) Died.
Anthony “Buddy” Luongo (1981-1986) Killed.
? -Anthony “Antonio” Ciccone (1986-1987) Died.
Samuel “Sammy Bones” Castaldi (1986-1990) Stepped Down.
Steven “Stevie Wonder/Herbie” Crea (1990-1998/9) Became Official UnderBoss.
-Also served as Acting Consiglieri in 1991 and Acting UnderBoss from 1994-1998.

107th Street-Harlem Crew:
Vincent "Nunzio" Rao (19??-1953) Became Consigliere.
-In 1953 this crew was split between Giovanni “Big John” Ormento and Salvatore “Tom Mix” Santoro.
Giovanni “Big John” Ormento (1953/5-1959) Imprisoned.
Antonio “Tony Ducks” Corallo (1967-1972) Became Boss.
Carmine LoCascio (19??-1983) Died.
Anthony Ciccone (1983-1985) Stepped Down.
-Anthony “Curly” Russo (1985) Became Official Capo
Anthony “Curly” Russo (1985-1986) Demoted.
Samuel “Big Sam” Cavalieri (1986-1987) Died.
Anthony “Bowatt” Baratta (1988-1995) Imprisoned/Demoted.
?Angelo “Cheesecake” Urgitano (Mid 1990s?-1998) Died.
-Not sure who took over for Baratta.

Bronx Crew: (Broke off from the 107th Street-Harlem Crew)
Salvatore “Tom Mix” Santoro (1953-1960s) Demoted.
-Joseph Capra (1960s)
Joseph Capra (1960s-Late 1960s/Early 1970s)
Salvatore “Tom Mix” Santoro (Late 1960s/Early 1970s-1975) Became UnderBoss.
Joseph Capra (1975-1986) Demoted.
Michael Salerno (1986-1990) Killed.
Joseph Giampa (1990-Present)

East Harlem Crew:
Joseph “Joe Palisades” Rosato (19??-1950s) Stepped Down/Demoted.
Ettore "Fast Eddie" Coco (19??-1953/5) Imprisoned.
Paul “Paulie Hamm” Correale (1950s-1962) Died.
Carmine "Mr. Gribs" Tramunti (1962-1967) Became Boss

Obv r Harlem isn't Bronx but close