Pittston - relationships

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Pittston - relationships

Post by nash143 »

Here is a chart I've made after researching the links between the Montedoro-born early leaders of Pittston.

I could have placed this in the charts section, but thought I'd place it here in case people want to discuss more than just the relationships.

Some notes:
- Made members in bold circles
- I've read that Latorre had relationships between others on the chart but I have not found any family links through documentation. Steve Latorre is the 'family contact' to a lot immigrants entering the US from Montedoro. Although he had many siblings, it seems half of the 'family contacts' on passenger lists naming him, were fictitious.
- I've read Russell Bufalino's wife was related to John Sciandra, but again cannot find a link.
- Apart from John Sciandra, and Russell Bufalino who had no children, none of the other three 'early leaders' had sons who were made, but two had daughters who married made men, and one (Calogero "Charles" Bufalino) had a daughter who married Salvatore Falcone' son, Joseph (unsure if member?) Interesting that they were happy for daughters to marry members but not for sons to become them.
- William Buf married son of Detroit Member, Frank Meli
- Cannot find link between Calogero "Charles" Bufalino's wife, Emanuella Volpe and Santo Volpe.
- Santo Volpe Jr (not on chart) is married to member William Medico's daughter
- The next generation (not on chart) contains a lot of lawyers, echoing Vito's thoughts to Michael in GFI.

If anyone has any further insight, please let me know and I can adjust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Pittston - relationships

Post by Angelo Santino »

nash143 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:36 am Here is a chart I've made after researching the links between the Montedoro-born early leaders of Pittston.
Now this is some outstanding goddamn work! Bravo!

I tried doing something similar with the Bonanno Family, you've inspired me to revisit it.

I'm very impressed, I admire your work.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Great work!
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:59 am
nash143 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:36 am Here is a chart I've made after researching the links between the Montedoro-born early leaders of Pittston.
Now this is some outstanding goddamn work! Bravo!

I tried doing something similar with the Bonanno Family, you've inspired me to revisit it.

I'm very impressed, I admire your work.
I for one would love to see a similar chart for the Bonanno Family.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great job, Nash. I agree this belongs in this section, as it is not an organization chart or list but genealogical info.

- Don't think I knew Falcone's son Joseph married Charles Bufalino's daughter, so that's another Pittston->Buffalo tie. His other son Anthony married the daughter of Dominick Aiello, an early Utica mafioso. Neither of Falcone's sons became members, but like you said with Pittston, the intermarriage was still there.

- Curious if you can find any relation between the Gambino Sciandras and the Pittston ones. Gandolfo "Buddy" Sciandra was not a member but very close to Carlo Gambino and his son became a captain. The Gambino Sciandras have heritage from Montedoro like the ones in Pittston which is why I ask.

- Also let me know if you come across the names Pinzolo and Anzalone in connection to any early Pittston mafia figures. They would be from Serradifalco, next to Montedoro.

Keep up the great work on Pittston.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:08 pm Great job, Nash. I agree this belongs in this section, as it is not an organization chart or list but genealogical info.

- Don't think I knew Falcone's son Joseph married Charles Bufalino's daughter, so that's another Pittston->Buffalo tie. His other son Anthony married the daughter of Dominick Aiello, an early Utica mafioso. Neither of Falcone's sons became members, but like you said with Pittston, the intermarriage was still there.

- Curious if you can find any relation between the Gambino Sciandras and the Pittston ones. Gandolfo "Buddy" Sciandra was not a member but very close to Carlo Gambino and his son became a captain. The Gambino Sciandras have heritage from Montedoro like the ones in Pittston which is why I ask.

- Also let me know if you come across the names Pinzolo and Anzalone in connection to any early Pittston mafia figures. They would be from Serradifalco, next to Montedoro.

If he wants it left here that's fine, but after a week or two it may be easier to find if moved to the chart section. That's what I do with those I make. But its up to you.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

B. wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:08 pm Great job, Nash. I agree this belongs in this section, as it is not an organization chart or list but genealogical info.

Thanks for the positive comments guys, and I too would like to see a CC Bonanno 'tree'.

B, do you have any further info on the Gambino Sciandras? Birth dates? I will look into them.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Similar chart outlining relationships in the NY Southern Tier of the Pittston LCN Family (+ others).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Awesome job.

I wonder about the Marion Galante. There was a Mariano Galante involved with the Good Killers and no doubt Marion's true name was Mariano. I don't think the ages would match based on when Marion's son Sam was born but could be a cousin. I think Mariano Galante ended up in WNY post-Good Killers.

Joe Genovese used to live in Old Forge, PA, then Endicott where he was the business partner of Joe Barbara. Supposedly the Genoveses were relatives of the Barbaras.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

B. wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:50 pm Awesome job.

I wonder about the Marion Galante. There was a Mariano Galante involved with the Good Killers and no doubt Marion's true name was Mariano. I don't think the ages would match based on when Marion's son Sam was born but could be a cousin. I think Mariano Galante ended up in WNY post-Good Killers.

Joe Genovese used to live in Old Forge, PA, then Endicott where he was the business partner of Joe Barbara. Supposedly the Genoveses were relatives of the Barbaras.
I've read in a report that Joe Genovese was a cousin of Barbara, but I think it's false info. The below extracts are from In Gregory Genovese's (son of Joseph) testimony. There is some confusion as Gregory does have an Uncle named Carlo Barbara, but it is not the Carlo/Charles, brother of Joseph. His Uncle is alive in the 1970s, whilst Joseph Barbara's brother Carlo/Charles died in 1966.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I remember another source about Joe Genovese and Joe Barbara being "third cousins" or something to that affect. I wonder if Carlo Barbara (related to the Genoveses) is a cousin of Joe and his brother Carlo.

I think you're right that the connection isn't close if there is one at all.

Greg Genovese's testimony is a treasure trove, though he didn't "cooperate" he gave a lot of good info.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

I believe Gandolfo Sciandra is a third cousin-once removed of Former Pittston Boss John Sciandra. Only two years later!
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I somehow missed seeing your genealogical relationship charts, but fantastic work. I appreciate how much time and effort you put into these.

Have a couple follow up questions:
In your research you concluded that Joe Barbara was never a boss, but a caporegime under Russell Bufalino, or am I mistaken here?
Angelo Parrino married Mary LaTorre, the daughter of Stefano LaTorre. He was the son of Francesco Parrino and Maria Pianeta (Planetta?). Do you think he was related to Luciano "Petto the Ox" Parrino, who was killed near Pittston in 1905?
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

It looks good nash !
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:37 am I somehow missed seeing your genealogical relationship charts, but fantastic work. I appreciate how much time and effort you put into these.

Have a couple follow up questions:
In your research you concluded that Joe Barbara was never a boss, but a caporegime under Russell Bufalino, or am I mistaken here?
Angelo Parrino married Mary LaTorre, the daughter of Stefano LaTorre. He was the son of Francesco Parrino and Maria Pianeta (Planetta?). Do you think he was related to Luciano "Petto the Ox" Parrino, who was killed near Pittston in 1905?
Thanks guys. I've been doing some research into expanding the original chart, connecting a few more of the Montedoro-born members of the Pittston LCN.

On the second chart I labelled Barbara as a 'probable' capodecina as that is what I think was probably, but not definitely his title. I write that as I've never seen a doc with him titled a capodecina, but that position makes the most sense to me. There are many docs that title him as boss but just as many that contradict this. I wish I knew for sure, either way.

Haven't made the Parrino connection, but will have a look.