Gambino Family History help

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Gambino Family History help

Post by Angelo Santino »

I'm working on something historical and the more recent things go the less I really know.

I got Lupo, D'Aquila and Mangano. There's things I will add that will really expand the knowledge base. But after the 30's my knowledge just peters out.

For Anastasia, Gambino and Castellano, what were top key points?

What I have-
Anastasia
-Longtime underboss
-FIrst Calabrese boss
-Apparently no Calabrian faction behind him, they were the minority group in the Gams and his admin members were all Palermitan connected to a different Palermo subset than Mangano was, could be an indicator who who backed Anastasia's move against Mangano.
-Who was behind his murder? Wasn't it discovered that it was an internal thing, revenge for Mangano or Scalice?

Gambino
-Extensive Mafia lineage from Passo di Rigano, connected to Giammonas.
-Didn't have Anastasia killed.
-Consig moved to AB due to being a peacemaker
-What else about his tenure was significant?

Castellano
-AB for 9 years before becoming boss indicating it was planned and no surprise.

I will touch on the more recent stuff but I have absolutely nothing to add or contribute that hasn't been covered in books, movies and MobTube with DiLeonardo, Gravano and Alite and I'm going to make no attempt to try. But I will cap the family history at 2020.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Re: Gambino Family History help

Post by chin_gigante »

Angelo Santino wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:37 am I'm working on something historical and the more recent things go the less I really know.

What I have-
Anastasia
-Longtime underboss
-FIrst Calabrese boss
-Apparently no Calabrian faction behind him, they were the minority group in the Gams and his admin members were all Palermitan connected to a different Palermo subset than Mangano was, could be an indicator who who backed Anastasia's move against Mangano.
-Who was behind his murder? Wasn't it discovered that it was an internal thing, revenge for Mangano or Scalice?
I did a post a while ago on Anastasia's murder that might be helpful for you there. It breaks down some of the theories and claims: https://theblackhand.club/forum/viewtop ... =29&t=6888
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:43 am
Angelo Santino wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:37 am I'm working on something historical and the more recent things go the less I really know.

What I have-
Anastasia
-Longtime underboss
-FIrst Calabrese boss
I did a post a while ago on Anastasia's murder that might be helpful for you there. It breaks down some of the theories and claims: https://theblackhand.club/forum/viewtop ... =29&t=6888
I'll take a look, if I use anything I will cite you. "Chin_Gigante?"
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Angelo Santino wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:50 am
chin_gigante wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:43 am

What I have-
Anastasia
-Longtime underboss
-FIrst Calabrese boss
I'll take a look, if I use anything I will cite you. "Chin_Gigante?"
That works for me. B has a good post on the second page of that thread going into the aftermath of the murder too
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Oc1878+
Associate

Post by Oc1878+ »

I got Lupo, D'Aquila and Mangano. There's things I will add that will really expand the knowledge base. But after the 30's my knowledge just peters out.

What I have-
Anastasia
-Longtime underboss
-FIrst Calabrese boss

Gambino

Castellano

I will touch on the more recent stuff but I have absolutely nothing to add or contribute that hasn't been covered in books, movies and MobTube with DiLeonardo, Gravano and Alite and I'm going to make no attempt to try. But I will cap the family history at 2020.

Would love to see some more modern Gambino stuff from you. Keep up the good work man.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

What about Joe Biondo?

He was a the consigliere from the early 30s till the 50s. He was close to Lucky Luciano (may have been his roommate too). Involved in the Anastasia hit, he becomes underboss. May have committed suicide.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Anastasia did have a Calabrese group around him in the 1920s-1950s but not much has been said about the role they played beyond Joe Franco (apparently Calabrese) betraying him.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Oc1878+ wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:07 am

What I have-
Anastasia
-Longtime underboss
-FIrst Calabrese boss

Gambino

Castellano

Would love to see some more modern Gambino stuff from you. Keep up the good work man.
Thank you but we really don't have anything to contribute that Capeci, DiLeonardo and Gravano haven't already covered. We'd be repeating their talking points from their books, documentaries and podcasts by picking apart "what we think" happened when it's their truth to tell. I'm looking forward to 60 years from now when the FBI files from the 80's will be publicly available, then and only then will we (or likely the next 2 gens of researchers) will comb over like we did with the 60's reports we have available where we managed to clear up and discredit alot of false or untrue claims.

There are some aspects of Gotti that I find interesting after speaking with DiLeonardo who shared his thoughts on the man, but that's his stuff to tell.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Going from memory here, Albert was convicted of murder with Joseph Florino, who I believe was also Calabrian. The verdict was overturned and they were both back on the streets. Florino could have been made later. Some later convicted as part of Murder Incorporated such as Louis Capone, Happy Maione, and Dasher Abbadando could have been made. I think Capone was very likely a member. Two others of importance were Carmelo Liconti and Johnny "Silk Stockings" Giustra. Both were Calabrese.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Other members or possible members from Anastasia's Calabrian circle who survived into the 1950s were Jack Parisi, Jimmy Crisalli, Tony Romeo, and the brothers Jimmy and Benny Macri. Parisi fled NYC and ended up with the Philly Family's Calabrese-centric Chester decina while living in Hazleton -- he told authorities he was brought there by his "cousin" Joe Perugino of the Philly Family however Parisi was from Bagnara in Reggio while Perugino was from Catanzaro. Jimmy Macri's daughter married the son of Tony Ripepi of Pittsburgh but the Macris were killed in the 1950s. Anastasia was an ally of boss John Bazzano Sr. whose son married a Ripepi daughter so the Macri/Ripepi marriage fits these connections.

Carmelo LiConti and John Giustra are definitely strong candidates as Gambino members before their murders. Giustra's brother Anthony remained a Gambino associate around Tony Romeo in the ILA under Mangano and Anastasia. Gregorio Lagana, Biagio Giordano, and Annibale Stilo were earlier figures in this circle who were killed in the early 1920s and even though they had a problem with the Brooklyn Palermitani I wouldn't rule them out as Calabrese Gambino affiliates of some kind. They came from Gallico / Catona area in Reggio where John Giustra and Gambino member Jimmy Crisalli came from. Carmelo LiConti was a suspect in the Giordano murder but they had previously been close and lived next door to one in another in the same apartment building in 1920. LiConti attended Ignazio Lupo's 1923 banquet which indicates he was involved with Cosa Nostra already so he may have been tasked with killing his (former?) friend Giordano by the Gambino Family, much as Vincenzo Mangano probably brought Giustra into the Masseria murder in 1931. Stilo killed Neapolitan Morello associate Joe Viserti which could point to the Calabrians working with D'Aquila during his conflict with the Morello faction and the Brooklyn Calabrian/Palermitano conflict being connected.

Most of Anastasia's Calabrian associates came from Reggio's western coast though he and his brothers are the only ones I've seen from Vibo Valentia. The Manganos were very close to many of these guys as well which shouldn't be a surprise since he and Anastasia were close until they weren't and all these guys on the docks mingled. Mangano was also close to a Louis Scotto going back to the 1910s and one of Mangano's daughters married an Anthony Scotto, possibly a relative of the Anastasio in-law of the same name who joined the Gambinos. Critchley's book says Jack Parisi was a brother-in-law of Mangano but I haven't found any evidence. They definitely weren't in-laws through their own respective marriages.

With the Mangano murder, I don't think it was as simple as Anastasia and his faction turning against him. Joe Traina went to Sicily with Mangano in 1925 and was arrested with him at 1928 Cleveland plus Gentile talks about their involvement with each other in 1930-31 but when the FBI asked Traina about Mangano's murder he said Mangano was the type of guy who "talked nice to your face but in his heart he was bad and could not be trusted." Someone also found a report that said Carlo Gambino supported Anastasia in the aftermath of the Mangano murder and helped in the conspiracy to murder Phil Mangano. So it seems important Sicilians were unhappy with the Manganos and helped Anastasia's rise, not just Anastasia killing his boss and taking over with only the support of his own faction.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

What are your thoughts on Anastasia's admin consisting of members from the Riccobono-Scalise faction which was a core clan within the Gambs since the 1900's when Lupo was boss. Mangano disappears and Anastasia is apparently in a position to deflect from the blame, and his admin is composed of Palermitans. It makes me wonder if they were "involved" or willing to politically support him after the fact. Coming from an army background, he was likely very Scarfo-esque in terms of being a stickler for rules and protocol.

In 1960's, the Calabrese were a minority, most of them were in NJ and CT. This is just the numbers, there were Calabrian members living in NYC but not much of what I could identify as a faction. This goes into the 30 year gap in knowledge and we don't know all the changes that occurred. But you'd think with Anastasia at the helm you would have seen an influx of Calabrian members, instead the largest non-Sicilian element were the Campanians.

So if the Gams had more Calabrians early on, do we know what became of them. We have examples of more than a few transferring to Philly.

I do plan on pointing out that the Mangano-Anastasia relationship dates 30 years and what we know of it is towards the end when things went bad between them.

One thing I noticed is that the Gams before the 1940's didn't appear to have any "mainland crews" at the time, instead it appears mainlanders were brought into pre-existing Sicilian decina and treated as equals, as evidenced by Lombardozzi taking over a historic (even up to day) Sciaccatani crew in Little Italy which would later be helmed by Joe Corrao. What makes this fascinating is that with the Genoveses it's reversed. They are primarily Campanian with Sicilians sprinkled in, there doesn't appear to have been a Sicilian-centric crew by the 60's.
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

I'm really curious about the Castellano lineage, nice to find out something in terms of Passo Di Rigano and the Giammonas.
felice
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by felice »

I never digged much in the Castellano, Giammona, Gambino. A Carlo Gambino's sister was married to Giovanni Giammona, a Giammona was later married to a Gambino and one to a Crivello.
A Giammona was also lately involved in some mafia meetings taped by police.

The lineage I know about:
Antonino Giammona b.1819 ca
- Giuseppe, b.1851(son: Gaetano)
- Giovanni, b.1864 (son: Federico, b.1884)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Buscetta said when he lived on Corso Liguzza that Carlo Gambino's sister lived on a different floor of the same building and her husband was a made member of the Borgo Vecchio Family. Did he have more than one sister? Otherwise this would be Giovanni Giammona.

Eustachio "Leo" Giammona the Lucchese member married Frank Castellana's daughter when he came to the US.
felice
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by felice »

That's something I was just checking again yesterday, Buscetta also states that Carlo Gambino's brother-in-law was a capodecina. The street name was Corso Olivuzza now it's called Corso Finocchiaro Aprile. I remember that years ago I also checked if a Giammona or a Cangialosi was living there.

Gambino has got three sisters:
- Caterina, married to Salvatore Cangialosi whose sister Rosa was the grandmother of Salvatore Inzerillo.
This comes from court records related to Spatola trial in 1982.
- Francesca, married to Diego Di Maio (source: fbi files)
I later found out that this Di Maio was a politician and they had a son named Stefano
- Giuseppina, married to Giovanni Giammona (source: fbi files)

The Romano's are also from Borgo Vecchio and the Adamita were related to the Romano's originally. Emanuele Adamita used to be close to Paolo Gambino already in the 60s.

I was also very interested in knowing more about Tommaso Gambino's (Carlo's father) brothers and sisters, I could just read about a Domenico (married to a Liguori) and Gaetano (married to Rosalia Caruso), Gaetano had two sons: Tommaso and Vincenzo.
I never found any confirmation to this info.