Steve Maruca

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

IrishDave
Straightened out

Steve Maruca

Post by IrishDave »

He was a Bonanno soldier based in Florida. IIRC according to LCNBios he was made in 78. I hit a lot of pay walls when I Google him. Looks like he may have been involved with the Donnie Brasco ordeal. Does anyone on the board know more about this guy? He's mentioned in the book Mafia Made a few times. Thanks.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: Steve Maruca

Post by JCB1977 »

IrishDave wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:55 pm He was a Bonanno soldier based in Florida. IIRC according to LCNBios he was made in 78. I hit a lot of pay walls when I Google him. Looks like he may have been involved with the Donnie Brasco ordeal. Does anyone on the board know more about this guy? He's mentioned in the book Mafia Made a few times. Thanks.
His name came up in the Youngstown Mob Boss Lenny Strollo’s federal trial in Cleveland. He had some operations going on with some Canadiens and with Ernie B in Youngstown.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
IrishDave
Straightened out

Post by IrishDave »

That's interesting. Thank you JCB.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

IrishDave wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:55 pm He was a Bonanno soldier based in Florida. IIRC according to LCNBios he was made in 78. I hit a lot of pay walls when I Google him. Looks like he may have been involved with the Donnie Brasco ordeal. Does anyone on the board know more about this guy? He's mentioned in the book Mafia Made a few times. Thanks.
When Maruca was made, he was put with Philly "Lucky" Giaccone then moved to be under Sonny Black. After his murder in 1981, Maruca was with Joe Massino and in his crew.

In 1986 he was charged with racketeering after, what prosecutor said, muscling in on a scheme to defraud jewelry wholesalers. The original schemers were not with Maruca but they operated in his territory and Maruca demanded a cut. In same case was also Vito "Vic" Militano (he too a Bonanno member operating in Florida) charged with loansharking.

Maruca may have originally been from Rochester, NY but hooked up with Bonanno members once he moved to Florida. But don´t quote me on that. His son Steven Jr was arrested in the 1990s for dealing crack cocaine.
There you have it, never printed before.
DannyTrio
Straightened out

Post by DannyTrio »

5604350C-9658-4797-9FA9-A0437FCC7918.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

DANNY!

Great pic bro!
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
DannyTrio
Straightened out

Post by DannyTrio »

Thanks Sonny!
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Excerpts from the 1999 Federal RICO trial in Cleveland of Lenine "Lenny" Strollo regarding Steve Maruca:

"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Mugshot of Bonanno Member Stephen Maruca following an arrest for burglarizing a liquor store in Canton, OH. Maruca was a close friend of Canton, OH Pittsburgh member, Pasquale "Patsy" Ferruccio. Pat was known as a poker machine/vending machine czar and supplied machines to Maruca when he opened Al's Vending in South Florida.

He was convicted and sentenced to sixty days imprisonment and five years probation.

Born in Rochester, New York, Maruca gravitated to the Bonanno Family through his activities in Florida.

By the 1960s he was an associate of Capodecina Michael Sabella.

Maruca was inducted, likely under Sabella's sponsorship, sometime around the first half of 1978.

By 1979 made members under Sabella included William 'Willie the Tile Setter' Dara, Salvatore 'Sally Paintglass' D'Ottavio, Anthony 'T.G.' Graziano, Ronald Lorenzo, Joseph 'Pepe' Marino, Stephen Maruca, Joseph Puma and Benjamin 'Lefty' Ruggiero. The crew was comprised of both New York and Florida-based membership.

Sabella was demoted after Carmine Galante's murder in July 1979. Maruca and the other Florida members were placed with Philip 'Phil Lucky' Giaccone.

Giaccone crew member Joseph Puma operated the Little Italy Restaurant in Hallandale, Florida.

In late April 1981 the restaurant was site of a meeting between Bonanno Acting Capodecina Benjamin 'Lefty' Ruggiero, Soldier Joseph 'Pepe' Marino and FBI Undercover Agents 'Donnie Brasco' and 'Tony Rossi'. Brasco later testified: "We got a table by ourselves, Mr. Marino, Rossi, Lefty and myself. Joe Puma was left out. Marino said that Joe Puma and Steve Maruca were made acting captains of Phil Lucky's crew in the Miami area, that the crew was down to seven guys and that they were kind of disorganized. Lefty said, 'Don't worry about it, because some of the captains are going to get knocked down, which would put two up,' and that the books of the Family were going to be opened soon."

Ten days later Giaccone, along with Captains Alfonse 'Sonny Red' Indelicato and Dominick 'Trin' Trinchera, was murdered in Brooklyn.

Soon afterwards Maruca and other crew members were put with Dominick 'Sonny Black' Napolitano.

Napolitano was himself murdered three months later.

Maruca was indicted on both state and Federal charges multiple times through the 1980s. Released from Federal prison in November 1993, he was then believed to be reporting to Anthony Graziano.

He died July 1997 in Dade County, Florida and was buried in Rochester.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

May 15, 1985 Miami Herald

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

May 31, 1992 South Florida Sun Sentinel

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

August 5, 1982 Miami Herald- Testimony of Agent Joe Pistone

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

November 1, 1986 Miami Herald

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

July 29, 1997 South Florida Sun Sentinel

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Ed did an excellent job on this piece...should provide some clarity on Steve Maruca

https://mafiahistory.us/rattrap/williamdara.html

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP