boss of bosses

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: boss of bosses

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Antiliar wrote:Aiuppa did three months in 1970 for killing hundreds of doves

I guess they didn't call him Joey Doves for nothing. :mrgreen:

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Let's try and figure out the succession. This is what I have from Giancana-era on:

1957-1966: Sam Giancana (stepped down)
[Depending on who you ask, the following may have been "acting" for Giancana while he was in Mexico]
1966-1967: Sam Battaglia (imprisoned)
1967-1970: Jack Cerone (imprisoned)
1970-1973: Tony Accardo/Joey Aiuppa/Gus Alex (adviser)
1973-1986: Joey Aiuppa (imprisoned)
1986-1992: Sam Carlisi (imprisoned)
1992-1994: Joey Lombardo (stepped down)
1994-2005: John DiFronzo (stepped down)
2005-Present: Joe Andriacchi

Underboss
1957-1973: Vacant
1973-1986: Jack Cerone (imprisoned)
1986-1993: John DiFronzo (imprisoned)
1993-1994: Joe Andriacchi
1994-2001: John Monteleone
2001-2003: Anthony Zizzo (acting for Marcello)
2003-2005: James Marcello (imprisoned)
2005-2006: Vacant/Unknown
2006-Present: Sal DeLaurentis
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

MilwaukeePhil wrote:
Antiliar wrote:Phil was polarizing -- even his own people didn't like him that much. But I don't think Mags would have referred to him as a boss if he wasn't. Too many sources say he got the top spot, although only for a short time before he went to prison.
Did Mags say he was just a "boss" or "top boss?" I personally don't find Mags to be that good of a source - especially on the Outfit's power structure while he was a little kid. I personally think he lied a lot on ANP (i.e. meeting John Gotti, etc.) but that's just me.

I do know Phil was a powerful guy - (i.e. he was the power behind Frank Balistreri in Milwaukee) but if I had to bet money, I don't think Accardo would have placed him as a boss.
Ricca was still around and had the most leverage and he would have backed him. Accardo would have gone along with any decision he made. As for Mags, I don't see any reason for him to lie about chronology, and he heard a lot of stories from older members like his father, Cerone, DiFronzo, Messino and Andriacchi, and of course, Accardo himself. Some may exaggerate their own stories and their own importance, but they generally don't lie about who was a boss, a capo, etc. No reason to.
Pogo The Clown wrote: I guess they didn't call him Joey Doves for nothing.
That was given to him by a reporter, just like "Greasy Thumb" Guzik, Frank "the Enforcer" Nitti and others. His insider name was Joey O'Brien, from back when he reportedly boxed (although I haven't found evidence of a single bout).
MilwaukeePhil
On Record

Post by MilwaukeePhil »

Antiliar wrote:
MilwaukeePhil wrote:
Antiliar wrote:Phil was polarizing -- even his own people didn't like him that much. But I don't think Mags would have referred to him as a boss if he wasn't. Too many sources say he got the top spot, although only for a short time before he went to prison.
Did Mags say he was just a "boss" or "top boss?" I personally don't find Mags to be that good of a source - especially on the Outfit's power structure while he was a little kid. I personally think he lied a lot on ANP (i.e. meeting John Gotti, etc.) but that's just me.

I do know Phil was a powerful guy - (i.e. he was the power behind Frank Balistreri in Milwaukee) but if I had to bet money, I don't think Accardo would have placed him as a boss.
Ricca was still around and had the most leverage and he would have backed him. Accardo would have gone along with any decision he made. As for Mags, I don't see any reason for him to lie about chronology, and he heard a lot of stories from older members like his father, Cerone, DiFronzo, Messino and Andriacchi, and of course, Accardo himself. Some may exaggerate their own stories and their own importance, but they generally don't lie about who was a boss, a capo, etc. No reason to.
Pogo The Clown wrote: I guess they didn't call him Joey Doves for nothing.
That was given to him by a reporter, just like "Greasy Thumb" Guzik, Frank "the Enforcer" Nitti and others. His insider name was Joey O'Brien, from back when he reportedly boxed (although I haven't found evidence of a single bout).
Good point - Mags also was exposed to Accardo directly.

Snakes wasn't Frank Ferraro the underboss for Giancana? I also think Marco runs the show today as the active boss (Andriacchi as a counselor) or is acting as Andriacchi's mouthpiece. Marco is meeting with guys from all crews on a regular basis. But that's another thread entirely :lol: :lol:
East Bronx
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by East Bronx »

Milwaukee Phil's back! What up, brudda? :mrgreen:
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." ---- Rounders.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Frank Ferraro ran the Loop. He was always in meetings with Ricca, Accardo, Giancana, Humphreys, and some of the other captains so I think it gave off the impression that he was the #2. I don't think they ever caught him relaying any orders to any of the crews, either.